Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Fairness...when have you crossed the line?

Fournette is DNP all week and questionable for Sunday.

You're facing the Fournette owner this week and notice he doesn't have great RB options on his bench in case Fournette sits.

Chris Ivory is on the WW and you scoop him up even though you're already loaded at RB just to block your opponent from having him.

Would anyone find anything wrong with the following situation? I bring this up specifically because I can guarantee it's happening in a lot of leagues at this very moment.

Perfectly fine.

You handcuff your studs, and the Fournette owner has had ample opportunity to do that. If he actively chooses not to, then he deserves what he gets.

We had a trade go through this week that I thought was pretty one sided, but I had no thoughts of trying to push for commish to cancel because I myself always say that people that abuse veto rule for that types are the worst type of people...so I couldn't in conscience say anything just because it doesn't benefit me.

The deal was Brees/Dez/Baldwin for Jordy/C Thompson/Alex Smith. The owners are the 2 guys in last place, but I don't believe its collusion to make one a contender and sacrifice the other, because they're not friends.

So I congratulated the Brees/Dez/Baldwin owner and told him I'm jealous, and that's that.

As one of the guys above wrote, part of the fun of FF is trading, and having guys in the league that pull that shiit and try to veto just because it doesn't help them, just kill the fun of the league. You have to create a culture that supports dealing, even if it means another team gets a deal that could make them better than you.

• Like 1

Fournette is DNP all week and questionable for Sunday.

You're facing the Fournette owner this week and notice he doesn't have great RB options on his bench in case Fournette sits.

Chris Ivory is on the WW and you scoop him up even though you're already loaded at RB just to block your opponent from having him.

Would anyone find anything wrong with the following situation? I bring this up specifically because I can guarantee it's happening in a lot of leagues at this very moment.

I do that every chance I get. And others in my league do as well. And I don't blame them. Hell, in real football teams jump ahead in the draft to take players that they know other teams want or need. If you start punishing this in FF, then that takes away from competition. Why even play if someone starts crying about it's not fair even though WW is structured like it is for a reason. How would you even create a rule around this?

I would not play in a league that gets that far into changing normal process to be fair to teams that are not managed well.

• Like 1

I do that every chance I get. And others in my league do as well. And I don't blame them. Hell, in real football teams jump ahead in the draft to take players that they know other teams want or need. If you start punishing this in FF, then that takes away from competition. Why even play if someone starts crying about it's not fair even though WW is structured like it is for a reason. How would you even create a rule around this?

I would not play in a league that gets that far into changing normal process to be fair to teams that are not managed well.

And also, what happens if one of the owners in the draft only takes 2 or 3 RBs in their whole draft? Does everyone assess the draft and pitch in a couple more RBs for the guy to ensure he has a more stable team in the long run?

Is part of FF strategy

As long as making moves doesn't inhibit your ability to compete

Only concern, as a commissioner, is if teams out of contention stop competing. Stop in part as they cannot improve their own teams.

Though that is a commissioners concern.

Your concern is competing within the rules

Is part of FF strategy

Only concern, as a commissioner, is if teams out of contention stop competing. Stop in part as they cannot improve their own teams.

For a league to be taken seriously, it needs strong incentives not to finish at the bottom of the standings even if they will not make the playoffs. And there are a lot of non silly ways to do this.

We had a trade go through this week that I thought was pretty one sided, but I had no thoughts of trying to push for commish to cancel because I myself always say that people that abuse veto rule for that types are the worst type of people...so I couldn't in conscience say anything just because it doesn't benefit me.

The deal was Brees/Dez/Baldwin for Jordy/C Thompson/Alex Smith. The owners are the 2 guys in last place, but I don't believe its collusion to make one a contender and sacrifice the other, because they're not friends.

So I congratulated the Brees/Dez/Baldwin owner and told him I'm jealous, and that's that.

As one of the guys above wrote, part of the fun of FF is trading, and having guys in the league that pull that shiit and try to veto just because it doesn't help them, just kill the fun of the league. You have to create a culture that supports dealing, even if it means another team gets a deal that could make them better than you.

If this trade were assessed from an end-of-August perspective, just going by ADP, it looks horrendous. But at the week 6 mark, it seems pretty fair. The receiver of Smith-Nelson-Thompson is the one who is getting the superior production so far. Perhaps Brees-Bryant-Baldwin will wind up meeting everyone's expectations by season's end (Bryant, for instance, is said to have an easier schedule ROS).

If this trade were assessed from an end-of-August perspective, just going by ADP, it looks horrendous. But at the week 6 mark, it seems pretty fair. The receiver of Smith-Nelson-Thompson is the one who is getting the superior production so far. Perhaps Brees-Bryant-Baldwin will wind up meeting everyone's expectations by season's end (Bryant, for instance, is said to have an easier schedule ROS).

and I do agree with that in a vacuum, but...

*I think Jordy is a step back now with Rodgers gone, so he's buying Jordy high when a lot of people think he's a diminishing asset.

*A lot of people said preseason that Dez is going to be a slow start since he faces so many top corners early in the year but that his 2nd half potential looks very good, so I think he's selling Dez at his lowest even though he's an ascending asset.

*Thompson has started fast the previous 2 years before falling back to the earth the 2nd half, so I think he's buying him at his peak.

*Who knows if Smith is capable of keeping this pace up.

that's my thought process even outside of just preseason ADP.

and I do agree with that in a vacuum, but...

*I think Jordy is a step back now with Rodgers gone, so he's buying Jordy high when a lot of people think he's a diminishing asset.

*A lot of people said preseason that Dez is going to be a slow start since he faces so many top corners early in the year but that his 2nd half potential looks very good, so I think he's selling Dez at his lowest even though he's an ascending asset.

*Thompson has started fast the previous 2 years before falling back to the earth the 2nd half, so I think he's buying him at his peak.

*Who knows if Smith is capable of keeping this pace up.

that's my thought process even outside of just preseason ADP.

My thoughts are, if it even gets to this point of discussion if a trade should be vetoed, then it should not be.. You can't ask questions like "can Alex Smith keep this up?". The guy looks great and someone wants him. "Will Jordy now fall off?". Someone might think the opposite.

I think this is actually a very fair trade for both sides. Let them decide who they believe in for the rest of the year.

My thoughts are, if it even gets to this point of discussion if a trade should be vetoed, then it should not be.. You can't ask questions like "can Alex Smith keep this up?". The guy looks great and someone wants him. "Will Jordy now fall off?". Someone might think the opposite.

I never said it should be vetoed; I said I thought it was lopsided but we're not a vetoing league, so we don't even think of arguing. I told the owner of the side I liked congratulations, and I was jealous.

I only brought up those points above to show why I personally think its lopsided, not that it should be vetoed though.

I never said it should be vetoed; I said I thought it was lopsided but we're not a vetoing league, so we don't even think of arguing. I told the owner of the side I liked congratulations, and I was jealous.

I only brought up those points above to show why I personally think its lopsided, not that it should be vetoed though.

I was just saying this in general nothing against your league at all. But, there are so many people on this site that are in leagues that veto like crazy. I wouldn't be a part of that league. It's cool to be in a league with the same people for a long time. The whole league matures together.

In my leagues it is automatically minus 30 points for not starting a defense.

I've never been in a league where the owners can veto a trade nor would I. Give me a good commish to make decisions.

Absolutely shady. Not surprised most people don't have a problem with it. Sad state of morals in 2017.

Absolutely shady. Not surprised most people don't have a problem with it. Sad state of morals in 2017.

So if I am playing scrabble (which I have done quite a lot), and I see a wonderful setup for a triple word score set on the board, but i just don't have the letters to do it (but most likely the others do), and I put in an short low scoring word that includes a 'C' or 'Q' or something in a key spot and that totally messes up hitting that great triple word score opportunity, and I do it just to block the other 3 players from having a clean shot at it, you would call that immoral?

So if I am playing scrabble (which I have done quite a lot), and I see a wonderful setup for a triple word score set on the board, but i just don't have the letters to do it (but most likely the others do), and I put in an short low scoring word that includes a 'C' or 'Q' or something in a key spot and that totally messes up hitting that great triple word score opportunity, and I do it just to block the other 3 players from having a clean shot at it, you would call that immoral?

that is how you should play scrabble, provided you are not doing so at expense of scoring 50+ for yourself that is

Is part of FF strategy

There are a couple of ways to do this.

First, all teams advance into a post season tournament of sorts.

E.G. 10 team. 6 go onto playoffs. 2 getting first round byes. Remaining 4 teams going into an inverted playoff. losing teams advance. losing team bring food or drink for next years draft party. Incentive to not be that team

Second, reward teams for having the best player/position during your leagues regular season.

that is how you should play scrabble, provided you are not doing so at expense of scoring 50+ for yourself that is

I would take less points to do it though. Not 50, but 10? Yes. So I sacrifice points so someone else couldn't get better. Same in FF. I sacrifice a pickup so a team I'm playing can't get better for that week. Then I drop the player the next week and get that salary and roster spot back.

I was in a league once where if you dropped a player, it took like three days for them to be available on waivers again.

I was notorious for churning the wire every Thursday night. Especially defenses with good matchups. Add them one by one and drop them, denying them to my opponent who never checked his lineup till Friday or Saturday.

That was bad and the commish eventually stopped it.

I was in a league once where if you dropped a player, it took like three days for them to be available on waivers again.

I was notorious for churning the wire every Thursday night. Especially defenses with good matchups. Add them one by one and drop them, denying them to my opponent who never checked his lineup till Friday or Saturday.

That was bad and the commish eventually stopped it.

As an auction league we just have 1 pick up day a week (highest bidder). Then you just drop the next week if you want and that player will then be available the following week.

Week 8 my opponent has only 1 TE and he is on bye. I see me dropping a couple scrubs and bidding on a few TEs for the block.

Me trying to trade Rivers, McKinnon, and Parker for Ingram....that's bad right? Dude had Rodgers and has Hunt to carry him....still think I'm trying to rip him off though...I probably won't send the trade.

I'm a serial running back hoarder. Work/money league I played in ($100 buy in, so decent stakes, enough to take seriously) and I had just won my 2nd 'ship in my 3rd year in league. Commish (who was also my boss and one of the biggest dooshes to ever walk the planet) said he was going to make some changes before the new season started. Only change he made was to positionally limit the # of RB you could keep to four (4). This was a direct response to me having like 7 on my roster the year before. When I questioned it and said the league should vote on it, his response was "it's my league, I'll run it how I want to." Only, the dipshit didn't anticipate the "flex" spot in our CBS league. So I could have 2 RB starters, 2 RB backups and hide rest of my RB as "Flex" position on my bench. We also had an IR spot and I almost always kept a hurt RB who was due back in it. At one time I rostered 8 RB's just to piss him off. About 4 games into the season he sent out a notice that he was going to change the rules to limit the # of RB's designated as Flex. I posted an article saying that no matter how much he changed the rules against me I was still going to beat his ass again. The other league members started complaining about in-season changes, justifiably so, so he backed off. I won my 3rd title in 4yrs. Next season he got rid of the IR spot but held off on the limit on positions because league members complained they should be able to run their teams how they wanted.

I'm a serial running back hoarder. Work/money league I played in ($100 buy in, so decent stakes, enough to take seriously) and I had just won my 2nd 'ship in my 3rd year in league. Commish (who was also my boss and one of the biggest dooshes to ever walk the planet) said he was going to make some changes before the new season started. Only change he made was to positionally limit the # of RB you could keep to four (4). This was a direct response to me having like 7 on my roster the year before. When I questioned it and said the league should vote on it, his response was "it's my league, I'll run it how I want to." Only, the dipshit didn't anticipate the "flex" spot in our CBS league. So I could have 2 RB starters, 2 RB backups and hide rest of my RB as "Flex" position on my bench. We also had an IR spot and I almost always kept a hurt RB who was due back in it. At one time I rostered 8 RB's just to piss him off. About 4 games into the season he sent out a notice that he was going to change the rules to limit the # of RB's designated as Flex. I posted an article saying that no matter how much he changed the rules against me I was still going to beat his ass again. The other league members started complaining about in-season changes, justifiably so, so he backed off. I won my 3rd title in 4yrs. Next season he got rid of the IR spot but held off on the limit on positions because league members complained they should be able to run their teams how they wanted.

Great story man. next step is to start a new league and invite the other in his league to join and you all work together on the setup of the rules. That dude can go find other people to join his crap. I'm in a very expensive league and none of this crap comes up.