Sign in to follow this  
ToadSprocket

Fear of heights

This past Monday at work I took one of our newer workers (Fred) with me on an appointment to a company that sold Luxary Units in a high rise office building in Tysons Corner, Virginia.

Boarding the elevator I pushed the 27th floor button and Fred seemed fine with it.

But when the elevator door opened on the 27th floor corridor, the windows were floor to ceiling right beside the elevators. Fred looked out the windows and imediately took a dive on the floor, face down. I thought he was joking but his face turned red and his fingers were clutching the carpet.

When I figured out it was his fear of heights, I dragged him around into the hallway away from the windows.

After a bit he was okay and so we walked down the hallway to the Office where our meeting was. The gentleman opened the door and when Fred and I walked in, you could see the windows and how high we were. Fred immediately rushed back out into the hallway. So I let him stay out there while I conducted the business I had come for. Maybe 15 minutes.

As I left, Fred had regained some composer and I figured we'd leave and all would be well. Not so.

When we got back to the elevator corridor, Fred would not turn the corner in view of the windows.

I told him I'd call for the elevator and when it came, he could take just a few quick steps and be in the elevator. He wouldn't. Plus he was getting anxious again.

I called my boss and explained the whole situation. We ended up calling a Doctor who came and gave Fred a shot to calm his nerves.

As Fred, the Doctor, a House Detective and I managed to get back on the elevator and back to the Lobby, Fred was taken by Ambulance to the Hospital.

Coming down the elevator Fred was mumbling about jumping off the top of the building. Scary. Very very scary.

He doesn't work for us anymore. I think he'll get Employment payments or maybe Workman's Comp.

I've never ever seen anything quite like that. Have any of you?

I have a fear of heights but no where near as bad.

I'm glad you remained professional and helped him in a way that didn't shame him.

I have a fear of heights but no where near as bad.

I'm glad you remained professional and helped him in a way that didn't shame him.

'Til he narked to the boss and dude got canned :thumbsdown:

I have a fear of ledges. Being in a plane, i am fine. But being close to a high ledge, hell no

• Like 1

I am terrified of heights if it is a situation where I can actually fall.

In a building? Fine. In a roller coaster? Fine.

:shocking:

hell I get afraid my top heavy ass will keel over on a 6 ft step ladder lol.

took the kids on vacation and our hotel/balcony was like 20th floor...I refused to go out on the balcony and look at the beach. My own kids had a blast with that one. I broke an arm falling out of a high tree when I was younger, so thats where the phobia came from.

Did go skydiving tho..which suprisingly was no fear...we were at 13k feet and above clouds..so I couldnt see the ground. Not saying I would ever do it again..but it was very cool.

I always hated the saying "fear of heights". Do you look at a tree and get scared? You scared of depth you pansies

I always hated the saying "fear of heights". Do you look at a tree and get scared? You scared of depth you ###### pansies

Depths frighten me. Snorkeling off the coast of the Big Island, there is a shelf in the reef which just drops off into deep ocean. I was fine over the reef, but had to fight hyperventilating when I swam over the abyss. Meanwhile, I'm perfectly calm climbing, hanging or standing on ledges thousands of feet off the ground.