Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Look at this group of scrubs Babe Ruth played with

And the fielders didn't even have modern looking gloves! No wonder his numbers were so good. ROFL

oh yeah, his statistics are super impressive, playing with and against the likes of these scrubs.

https://www.boston.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Babe-Ruth-Braves-850x478$large.jpg

That's like saying Sir Isaac Newton was a clown because other scientists during his time were so much dumber than scientists today. These guys accomplished way more with much less.

Gimme today's training routines, steroids, Hubble telescopes, satellites, bats, balls and clubs and I'll take Newton, Ruth, Einstein, Cobb, and Bobby Jones vs. your Hawking, Bonds, Tyson, ARoid, and Tiger any day of the week.

you think Babe Ruth would have worked out if he were alive today

you think Babe Ruth would have worked out if he were alive today

Maybe. Doctors used to smoke while giving you an exam. But we know better now don't we?

But keep on dodging White Goodman. My point is solid and you have 0 regard for history or anyone who came before you.

I agree... That's why I pointed out damn near 125 guys were hitting 714 hrs back then too.

I agree... That's why I pointed out damn near 125 guys were hitting 714 hrs back then too.

combined?

Maybe. Doctors used to smoke while giving you an exam. But we know better now don't we?

But keep on dodging White Goodman. My point is solid and you have 0 regard for history or anyone who came before you.

What's Pablo Sandovals excuse :doh:

or Prince Fielder?

Mark Twain once commented that “to arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.”

• Like 1

Mark Twain once commented that “to arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.”

Bingo. Drives me nuts when people lose sight of that. He was the best of his time, end of story.

Who? was he a golfer?

You're done here.

I was done before I started.

I was kidding anyway, I know he was NASCAR

• Like 1

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

1921 26 NYY AL 152 693 540 177 204 44 16 59 168 17 13 145 81 .378 .512 .846 1.359

Babe Ruth's stat line from 1921.

Since sports changed so much with blacks and just athletes in general, you have to move the goalposts. It's unfair but you can't judge a guy based on his era, you have to judge him vs the best competition available. A huge black guy abusing white dock workers and chai smokers doesn't count. A batter smashing homers off of those pitchers with floppy hats and bugs bunny wind ups doesn't count. If they did, Otto Graham and Don Hutson should be considered the best qb and wr ever, but they are not. Babe was a fine player, but let's put him against the best pitchers of the last 30 years and see what happens.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

1921 26 NYY AL 152 693 540 177 204 44 16 59 168 17 13 145 81 .378 .512 .846 1.359

Babe Ruth's stat line from 1921.

league average per team was 59 HR

9 teams didn't even hit 59 total.

Buncha legends Ruth played against

Since sports changed so much with blacks and just athletes in general, you have to move the goalposts. It's unfair but you can't judge a guy based on his era, you have to judge him vs the best competition available. A huge black guy abusing white dock workers and chai smokers doesn't count. A batter smashing homers off of those pitchers with floppy hats and bugs bunny wind ups doesn't count. If they did, Otto Graham and Don Hutson should be considered the best qb and wr ever, but they are not. Babe was a fine player, but let's put him against the best pitchers of the last 30 years and see what happens.

You've lost perspective, thats sad. Sports will continue to evolve and things will continue to change. I hope one day there isn't a debate if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers are ACTUALLY good players because now AI plays in the NFL or something crazy that is a paradigm shift in sports.

league average per team was 59 HR

9 teams didn't even hit 59 total.

Buncha legends Ruth played against

But I thought the pitching was so bad. Hmmm

Jim Brown played against linebackers that would be safeties nowadays. I guess we should stop considering him at all time great.

1921 - 16 Teams 2458 games played 1273 complete games

2016 - 32 teams 4856 games played 83 complete games

:lol:

How fast did they throw back then? 75?

A lot of Chad Pennington's back then

case rested

Jim Brown played against linebackers that would be safeties nowadays. I guess we should stop considering him at all time great.

Yea I agree, I already don't. We already had this discussion, I don't put Brown in my top 5rbs, there are just too many guys who played in the modern era that he can't touch.

You have to have played during the Super Bowl era for me to count anything you did.

Yea I agree, I already don't. We already had this discussion, I don't put Brown in my top 5rbs, there are just too many guys who played in the modern era that he can't touch.

You have to have played during the Super Bowl era for me to count anything you did.

this is where you're wrong. The same goes for Babe Ruth. As times Change, they would change too. Year-round football as a kid. Camps. Advanced training techniques and supplementation. If you were the best player in the world, that's from Talent. And you would be great in any era. Jim Brown would do great against the defense is that Walter Payton played against. Or Emmitt Smith. Or Adrian Peterson. And Babe Ruth would be a monster of a hitter.

case rested

You should rest your brain. None of that is relevant.

Again, people, equipment, training and knowledge have all evolved in step over time.

You had to run the same distance to beat a throw to first in 1920 as you do now. But hitters and infielders have progressed at the same rate over time, so routine grounders are still close plays

Ricky Henderson would have a quadrillion stolen bases if he was transported to 1900. In the year 3000 he wouldn't crack the top 10.

I'd have thought someone who believes in evolution would get this.

case rested

Ok troll