Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

"Shark Week" is dumb. So was Phelps vs shark "race"

What is with "Shark Week"?

What's the big deal with sharks?

What about lion week? Dog week? Orca week? Tiger week? Swordfish week?

I don't get it. Never have.

If you watched the simulated race between Phelps vs shark, you'd realize how dumb it was. They "came up with" a bunch of scenarios (swimming, attacking, launching) that shark might use during its travel of 100m. They used some formula to devise a projected time that the shark would travel 100m. Low and behold, the projected time just happened to be close to what they thought (knew) Phelps would travel the 100m in.

Also, they need to end all of the "sharks are endangered" BS. There are a ridiculous number of sharks offshore. There are many fishing spots where you have to use artificials and can not use live or dead bait because of the large shark population.

Heard about the Phelps Vs. Shark thing this morning on the radio and immediately thought if you tuned this in you are a total moron.

I used to like Shark Week but it's really just a rehash now. And the Phelps thing was garbage. Off his dive he got up to I think 8 miles per hour whereas a Great White can reach up to 35+ mph.

If they did it Beat the Freeze style and gave Phelps a huge head start AND let the shark eat him if he caught to him I probably would've tuned in

• Like 1

Phelps vs. shark would be awesome. If you did it right.

Make phelps put a bloody carcass in his speedo.

Put him 100m from shore, and give him a generous head start.

Then release the great white.

I'd watch that.

Orca week would be bad ass!

I never had an ounce of interest in Phelps vs shark. What a crock of . I would boycott the fvck out of shark week for such a stupid show.

It's like saying This one legged kid with the downs almost beats Usain Bolt if bolt army crawls the 100 meters, and he has both thumbs tied together

Shark Week was pretty cool when it started out and had years of material to use. Now, it's used up and boring.

I watched the Phelps show. They all knew the shark could beat him. In the very beginning they had an overlay of Phelps when he was setting a WR in the 100 meter freestyle and then had a shark in the next lane. They were both doing about 5.5 mph and then they sped the shark up at the end to it's attack speed (25+ mph) and it obviously blew by Phelps.

The show was more about what a shark does for speed over long distances, and then what makes the shark such a fast swimmer (the tail fin makeup, the skin type, and the warming of its muscles). The end "race" was just cheesy filler.

Maybe next year, Henry Winkler can waterski up a ramp and jump over a shark.

:first:

:lol: