Sign in to follow this  
Torn

2018 - Draft Discussion

...somebody got a SWEET deal on Wil Myers (last year?), ...when it seemed like he was not quite the star he was supposed to be, ...and found himself with the dreadful Padres. Now, he is a 21st round keeper.

I'm surprised I didn't draft Myers myself last year. Being a rays homer, I've been tracking him since his trade from KC. Always has had the talent, supposedly got a big ego in Tampa.

I will be driving 9:45 to noon, Mountain time, then tied up on and off, for a few hours after that, ...then driving home. I have a list to work with, ...and will check in from time to time, ...but I will probably NEED more proxies, ...rather than doing them. Stay tuned.

I will be tied up on and off, Stay tuned.

Kinky

Harry needs about 30 mins- FoulLine, try to gather a few proxy options if you need to leave before he picks. Thanks!

Nice last pick torn

FoulLine won't be picking for about an hour or so (rd 10)

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Agree - we'd stepped it up a bit yesterday, but have only seen 10 total picks today.

Great value on Godley... I was torn between him and Vicaino honestly. I wanted to go Castellanos and then Eddie Rosario but got sniped. Sorry for the delay I made my first pick right before I had to leave the house and thought for I had my pick in Rosario.

Took a risk jumping on Acuna in the 10th round. There's no way the Braves can hold him in AAA for a long stretch and if he's the real deal, he could be a 7th round keeper bargain next season. Wishful thinking...

Had a feeling I'd get sniped if I waited for another 18 picks to go by.

Acuna wouldn't have made it past 10.09

You were the primary sniper I feared.... LOL

We might need to enact a proxy protocol...

Not sure why folks are more reluctant to provide and/or be ready for proxies this season than in the past, but that hasn't been the primary issue. We're just seeing some unusually long absences between check-ins and some texts going into the ether.

Not trying to be the "girlfriend expecting instantaneous text responses from her boyfriend". :-) Just trying to maintain a good pace and ask for some proactive communications. I want to ensure we wrap this up AND hopefully have a couple of days to spare to deal with any DL/waiver moves before the season kicks off.

Not sure why folks are more reluctant to provide and/or be ready for proxies this season than in the past, but that hasn't been the primary issue. We're just seeing some unusually long absences between check-ins and some texts going into the ether.

Not trying to be the "girlfriend expecting instantaneous text responses from her boyfriend". :-) Just trying to maintain a good pace and ask for some proactive communications. I want to ensure we wrap this up AND hopefully have a couple of days to spare to deal with any DL/waiver moves before the season kicks off.

I concur, Commish. We're burnin' daylight here. :dunno:

i never like to leave lists but i think i do a fairly good job of checking in regularly

Just caught up w/ FoulLine - he said he'd be online in about 20 mins...

i never like to leave lists but i think i do a fairly good job of checking in regularly

Same with me to be honest. I love second guessing myself and overthinking my picks before making them - lol... But, I try to check in frequently to offset that "think time".

Same with me to be honest. I love second guessing myself and overthinking my picks before making them - lol... But, I try to check in frequently to offset that "think time".

yeah exactly. for some reason if i leave a list several picks before mine, I feel like my mind will change some based on which players go in those picks leading up to me.... and in many cases it does. sometimes I can read a little into those picks and decide to wait on a certain position.

Just caught up w/ FoulLine - he said he'd be online in about 20 mins...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I've now heard from him again.

Message seemed hastily typed and didn't make a lot of sense, but ...

If I'm translating the gibberish properly, he has a work emergency and "it's going to be awhile".

After we get through this turn, I'm going to be implementing pick time limits to ensure we get through this on time.

More details coming later...

• Like 1

And I've now heard from him again.

Message seemed hastily typed and didn't make a lot of sense, but ...

If I'm translating the gibberish properly, he has a work emergency and "it's going to be awhile".

After we get through this turn, I'm going to be implementing pick time limits to ensure we get through this on time.

More details coming later...

Something had to be done. Thanks for juggling this uncomfortable snafu, Commish. We will take it as it comes, ...and everyone should speak freely and weigh in, ...but sometimes democracy has to be set aside, ...and progress needs to be made.

well, i'll chime in.

our first pick was March 9th. So we've completed 10.5 rounds in 6 days? We have 14 more days left to finish by the 28th. I bet we finish the 11th round tonight so simple math tells me we should finish this thing in about 10 more days.

now i do agree that no one should be holding up the drat for a bunch of hours unless they come up while asleep for the night.. not to single anyone out but I think we have an owner in school? in situations like that I hate hearing "he'll pick by lunch, maybe in 4 hours".... that can be avoided by leaving a list with pops.

Well White wonder you just did single out Tucker and unfairly, I might add. Yes, he is in high school and yes, he cannot use his phone during class. He makes his picks during lunchtime when cell phone use is permitted. He has not been the problem!! He doesnt want to leave a list with me, aka pops, since we pick back to back. Cmon now, really!!

• Like 1

Agree with the timing. We're not in the danger zone yet, but we are cutting it close.

Basically, this can be summed up easily. It's not my goal to bust balls and pick for someone at 4 hours and 1 second out of spite. It's my goal to have us communicate with each other better. If you need 5 hours and you let me/us know, that's fine. We can all go about our business and not be checking in here for that amount of time. If we DON'T know that, we have folks checking in, hovering on the board if their pick is close, we have texts peppering folks, etc.

That's the key difference. Just letting folks know what's going on in a timely manner goes a long way.

Well White wonder you just did single out Tucker and unfairly, I might add. Yes, he is in high school and yes, he cannot use his phone during class. He makes his picks during lunchtime when cell phone use is permitted. He has not been the problem!! He doesnt want to leave a list with me, aka pops, since we pick back to back. Cmon now, really!!

As you all know, for the past few years I have taken up the responsibility of sending out a multitude of draft time "you're up" reminders, ...and providing lots of proxy picks. Tucker has never been a problem, ...and this year, ...he continues to be no problem. Tucker has repeatedly RESPONDED to my texts, ...which is reassuring. When a person NEVER sends a response to the text 'nudging', and chronically takes hours and hours, ...without any explanation, ...that's a problem. I fully support the measures that Joe Adams--Commish--is implementing in the coming rounds.

Sorry, JMU (and Tucker) if there was any offense there, but I'm not backing off my comment. I appreciate Tucker being in the league and being in school, and I understand cell phone use being restricted but my point was this is something that is known and can be avoided. Maybe he doesn't leave a list with you, maybe he leaves a list with Torn. I understand not wanting to leave lists because I hate doing it myself.... but If I knew I was in a similar situation, I would do what needed to be done. It resulted in 4+ hours between picks, afterall.

Also, when I said not to single anyone out, I meant that there have been multiple violations and I was not intending to come off as saying Tucker has been the problem, the only problem or a consistant problem. It was just an example that came to mind of when known life situations can be managed versus unplanned meeting or stuck in traffic.

i'll even point a finger at myself. I came on the clock while asleep early last night (about 10pm est). I woke up and looked at my phone, saw a text "you are up, face, thumbs up" so i made a pick and went back to sleep. Resulted in over 2 hours and in hindsight I should have given someone a list being that I was on deck.

Looking to move back in 16. I currently have 16.04. Would be open to multiple upgrades later or swapping 16 & 17s - I'd move back in 16 and up in 17. Let me know if you're interested.

Agree with the timing. We're not in the danger zone yet, but we are cutting it close.

Basically, this can be summed up easily. It's not my goal to bust balls and pick for someone at 4 hours and 1 second out of spite. It's my goal to have us communicate with each other better. If you need 5 hours and you let me/us know, that's fine. We can all go about our business and not be checking in here for that amount of time. If we DON'T know that, we have folks checking in, hovering on the board if their pick is close, we have texts peppering folks, etc.

That's the key difference. Just letting folks know what's going on in a timely manner goes a long way.

I don't think anyone should be picked for if anything they should just be skipped and go "pending". Meaning the draft continues on and they can pick whenever they get back but players are being taken off the board in the mean time.

I don't think anyone should be picked for if anything they should just be skipped and go "pending". Meaning the draft continues on and they can pick whenever they get back but players are being taken off the board in the mean time.

I like this idea. Same benefit of moving things along without an arbitrary player being chosen for the affected owner. I will change the pick limit thread to reflect this.

Solid idea for sure