Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Pre-draft Marcus Mariota concerns

The vague reports swirling around about Mariota's NFL suitability (or lack thereof) have been mainly sportswriter babble; uninformative and confusing. It wasn't until reading Tanier's piece today that I finally came away with a glimmer of understanding - and now seriously wonder how/when Mariota's going to be able to pull it off successfully. Seems like studying and learning as a backup for a year or so might be in his best interests, although most teams tend to eschew that approach these days.

What's your take on him?

"So many times, you are evaluating a quarterback who has never called a play, who has never used a snap count," Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said at the NFL combine when asked about the perils of projecting a college quarterback to the pros. "They hold up a card on the sideline, he kicks his foot and throws the ball."

Arians made no secret of how he felt about that no-huddle play-calling style. "That ain't playing quarterback," he said. "There's no leadership there."

"You watch them play live, and they are looking at cards with turtles and colors and stuff," (John Schneider) said, "as compared to watching a guy line up, read a defense and run a play."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2370741-marcus-mariotas-play-calling-inexperience-a-major-negative-and-he-knows-it

Makes some sense.

But if Bruce Arians was an expert on QBs, he would have had one last year.

Makes some sense.

But if Bruce Arians was an expert on QBs, he would have had one last year.

How many qbs deep was he supposed to go? Who was Bellicheck 3rd and 4th. And Seattle? Or any other team for that matter

I don't think he will be a long term answer at QB . I see him as. High risk low reward pick .

My gut instinct is he will fail. Could be wrong though

Him and winston will both fail. Any team that spends a first on either is going to set their franchise back a few years. I wouldnt draft winston period. Mariotta would be a late round pick. I heard a local radio host, who i normally respect and agree with, say if winston dropped to the bears, they have to take him. No they dont. The bears dont have to waste a pick and set back their franchise yet again for an obviously flawed qb. Major flaws too.

Him and winston will both fail. Any team that spends a first on either is going to set their franchise back a few years. I wouldnt draft winston period. Mariotta would be a late round pick. I heard a local radio host, who i normally respect and agree with, say if winston dropped to the bears, they have to take him. No they dont. The bears dont have to waste a pick and set back their franchise yet again for an obviously flawed qb. Major flaws too.

Yeah I'm not high on either of them. Winston is probably a poor man's Cam Newton at best, another Johnny Manziel at worst. Marriotta, I just don't think he has what it takes for the pros

Agreed.

Bryce Petty is the best QB at the combine. Looks like the best pure natural passer

I disagree with many of you.

Mariota will be a star in the NFL. He's got the physical tangibles and also got his head screwed on right.

He's a film room junkie and his rumored work ethic is ala A. Luck 2.0.

After watching some tape on both players I feel they are as good as any QB prospect to come out since Luck/RG3. Mariota has a lot more work to do to get up to speed, but he's smart and driven enough to pull it off. The team and system where he lands will be very important. Winston runs like an oaf but he can make all the throws you'd expect from a pocket passer and can excel so long as he matures and makes better decisions. Both kids are winners and good leaders for their teams. Mariota's a project QB that will need more development time, Winston is far more 'pro ready' but the questions and concerns about his off field incidents muddy the waters there.

For next year Winston has some QB value when drafted late - Tampa has a good amount of young talent and if they fix that offense Winston to Evans is going to be fruitful. For Mariota to have pretty much any value next year Philly has to swing a deal and move up so he'd reunite w Chip. Chances for that are slim in my estimation.

• Like 1

i wonder which deal chip will make:

jets: first and second round picks in 15 & 16, plus nick foles

skins: first and second in 15 and first and fourth in 16

raiders: first round pick in 15 and 16 plus shady

i'd make the raiders trade and then sign ap to a better deal while trading foles to jets or browns for a 2nd or 3rd

i'd make the raiders trade and then sign ap to a better deal while trading foles to jets or browns for a 2nd or 3rd

You're dreaming. The Raiders need an impact WR more than they need draft picks. Dropping to 20 takes them probably out of Dorial Green-Beckham range, and he isn't their first option anyhow. Even so, it'll take a #1, #2, and a #3 this year and oh yeah NEXT years #1 as well to make that deal. Reggie Mac isn't interested in reviving Philly's franchise for a can of corn, and he isn't interested in a half-washed up Shady McCoy and his $12 million cap hit this season. That's basically the east coast writers and their homerism throwing shite up against the wall to stick.

Think I'm full of it? Yeah? What HAVE you heard from Reggie Mac?

Right.

You're dreaming. The Raiders need an impact WR more than they need draft picks. Dropping to 20 takes them probably out of Dorial Green-Beckham range, and he isn't their first option anyhow. Even so, it'll take a #1, #2, and a #3 this year and oh yeah NEXT years #1 as well to make that deal. Reggie Mac isn't interested in reviving Philly's franchise for a can of corn, and he isn't interested in a half-washed up Shady McCoy and his $12 million cap hit this season. That's basically the east coast writers and their homerism throwing shite up against the wall to stick.

Think I'm full of it? Yeah? What HAVE you heard from Reggie Mac?

Right.

most of these roooomers are sh*t, maybe the raiders want foles instead of shady

most of these roooomers are sh*t, maybe the raiders want foles instead of shady

Foles? Hahahahahahahahaha.

Oh hey - got a hint of the Eagles' offseason plans from a little birdy earlier today:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/2/27/8120701/eagles-2015-offseason-plan-in-one-picture

• Like 1