Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Cheating at Golf

when we have our 1st annual geek golf extravaganza how will we do it?

In Vegas, that's all I really care about. I am so un-competitive when it comes to golf its not even funny.

Cheating on the scorecard is just sad. rolling the ball to better lie in the rough when you're having a bad round is understandable.

ETA -- I know it's a scramble 4 man - but 59 60 61 scores? were you playing with club pro's or something - I have been in MANY a scramble with my work and the winning score is maybe 67 at best 65 with most in the 70's . I am a 12 handi and played a scramble with similar players and we were stoked about our 65 and won the thing.

My group has shot anywhere from low 60's to mid 70's on this course during a scramble. It all depends on whether we're making putts. The greens at this place are in great shape, but there's lots of movement.

With 4 of us shooting, we rarely miss a green in regulation, and there are 2 reachable par 5's. You probably know the course actually.

You don't appear to have run a golf tournament before. The entire concept is to raise money. You make more $$ selling them at $5a pop than at $20. And eliminating mulligans altogether is out of the question - it's a cash cow.

We've done different things with the mulligans over the years. It is a way to make money, and people understand that.

I was at an outing yesterday (scramble) for a charity organization and my team shot an honest 62. Limit of 1 mulligan per side off used off the tee only. No other crazy rules involved.

This was an extremely difficult course for an average player and damned challenging for good players.

The team in front of us was in the woods all day. We watched them hit pretty much every shot they played. When all was said and done, they turned in a scorecard that showed 60. There's no way in hell they shot anything close to that. Based on what we saw, I'd guess they shot 75 or higher.

The winning team turned in a card with a score of 59. They also won the skins game. (this is the same team that won it the past 2 years.) I know these guys are all pretty decent, but it got me wondering if they've been cheating as well.

As they announced the winners at lunch I heard grumblings about how there was no way in hell the winning team shot that low within the rules. Further conversation had them accused of everything from using their mulligans on putts, giving their mulligans to their A player, and just flat out lying.

I just sat and listened but the general consensus seemed to be that these "rich @ssholes" just have to find a way to get their money back.

I know this kinda thing goes on, but it's starting to turn some people off the event.

I'm going to bring it up at our next meeting, but I really don't know how to stop it. Any ideas?

Top 3 teams from last year have a scorekeeper follow them next year. If they're not cheating, they'll be vindicated and if they are, they won't show up.

Pet peeve about charity tournaments.

Donate all kinds of money. Including 50/50's and what not. Only to win and then feel compelled to give my winnings back as an additional donation, Frankly, I hate the predicament and would rather not even win.

Not to brag but I think my 10 year old nephew could beat a couple guys on here in golf. I know he would beat me. He competes a lot and just beat a 16 year old this past weekend at his tournament. He's already got the golf coach at USC looking at him.

Another thing you have to understand about mulligans - not everyone in the tournament is a single digit, 3 time a week, player. Many are going to be people who play once, twice a month - some not ever at all. These people are out there to have a good time and contribute to a cause. Mulligans are not only beneficial to raising money - but they make this rare event much more enjoyable for those who never get to play.

I've played on a team that shot a 54 once in a 4 man scramble. We each had a mulligan and a red bomb. Plus we were playing from the white tees and my A and B player were scratch golfers. They drove a couple par 4's from the whites. and we eagled 3 of the 4 par 5's. It can be done. And there was no "cheating".

Team shot a 58 at the tourney I played Friday.

NO Mulligans, no anything.

Guy that is about 55, got his son (college golfer) and 2 of his teammates from college.

:thumbsdown:

we shot a 66 with 2 bogeys (par 72)

I've played on a team that shot a 54 once in a 4 man scramble. We each had a mulligan and a red bomb. Plus we were playing from the white tees and my A and B player were scratch golfers. They drove a couple par 4's from the whites. and we eagled 3 of the 4 par 5's. It can be done. And there was no "cheating".

Mulligans render your score irrelevant.

Team shot a 58 at the tourney I played Friday.

NO Mulligans, no anything.

Guy that is about 55, got his son (college golfer) and 2 of his teammates from college.

:thumbsdown:

we shot a 66 with 2 bogeys (par 72)

getting a bogey in a scramble is pretty awful..

If you cheat, sure.

I've played scrambles where par is your friend. If you hit the green in three on a par four, pick up and give yourself a par.

I've played scrambles where par is your friend. If you hit the green in three on a par four, pick up and give yourself a par.

cheat

cheat

That's the rule. No bogey's. Supposedly speeds things up.

I've also played in an alternate shot format, which sucked. It's basically, you can't use two shots in a row from a player. If I hit the drive were are going to use, I can't hit the approach. If you have to use a players chip, they can't putt. I ended up hitting every drive and zero approach shots on the par fours and fives. :thumbsdown: