Sign in to follow this  
rotisserieking

Why is Cam ranked so high for week 2?

I get that Jones is out for ATL but Cam's career numbers against Atlanta are some of his worst splits, and in 2017 they were his worst outside of the Jets game.

Career average versus Atlanta: 207.6 pass/g, 1.3 TD, 1.1 INT, 51.5 rush/g, 0.5 rush TD/g

2017 average versus Atlanta: 158.5 pass/g, 0.5 TD, 1.5 INT, 72.5 rush/g, 0.5 rush TD/g, 46% completion

Outside of his rushing numbers in 2017 he's not that great against the Falcons but most sites are ranking him #1 this week and I'm not seeing him outside of the top 4.

I was thinking I'd play Mahomes this week but all the rankings are all saying Cam. What am I missing? Is losing Jones the key here? I'm guessing the Falcons used him as the spy so maybe the thinking is the run game opens up for Cam.

Go with your gut. Rankings mean nothing. Everyone is guessing.

I also firmly believe the research that used to go into rankings has declined. Lazy writers.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't get it either. He's a talented athlete and over the course of the year he'll fair well fantasy wise with his rushing potential. But at this point I don't think he should ever be higher than #7-8 for any one week.

Saw Cam as a sit somewhere. There are so many rankers these days you can find one to fit your narrative.

Go with your gut. Rankings mean nothing.

Agreed. My gut says Mahomes but that's why I asked about Cam: the stats don't seem to support him in the top 10 this week. Watch, he'll go off for 300/2 and 80/1 on my bench.

Agreed. My gut says Mahomes but that's why I asked about Cam: the stats don't seem to support him in the top 10 this week. Watch, he'll go off for 300/2 and 80/1 on my bench.

I hope so I have him as my only QB

I don't know... if it isn't a 6 point passing TD league then Cam is probably one of the most consistent running QBs out there. That and Atlanta will be without probowl LB Deion Jones for the rest of the season... seems like that could open up some intermediate routes and scrambling opportunities...

Cam had a sub par performance and still scored 18pts in my league... rushing is just that valuable to a QBs fantasy performance

Deion Jones and Keanu Neal who are literally top 2 of 3 top defensive players on there defense are done for year. They allow the most receptions to RBs bc they rely on Deion jones speed to catch and tackle the RB once he receives it. And now hes gone.

• Like 1

I'm very worried about Cam personally. Between his OLINE that seems to suffer an injury every 30 seconds, Olsen is gone. Not a fan of this moving forward. In fact I shied away from most panthers because even at the time the OLINE was decimated. And it's only gotten worse.

Go with your gut. Rankings mean nothing. Everyone is guessing.

I also firmly believe the research that used to go into rankings has declined. Lazy writers.

How is possible that you have any clue that research into rankings has declined? I assure you, it hasn't.

I was thinking I'd play Mahomes this week but all the rankings are all saying Cam. What am I missing? Is losing Jones the key here? I'm guessing the Falcons used him as the spy so maybe the thinking is the run game opens up for Cam.

The loss of Atlanta's two key defenders certainly is a big factor. I do think Cam will have more on his plate this week and with the Falcons being susceptible to pass-catching RBs, a score from McCaffrey through the air seems more likely in this game. Add in a TD to a receiver and one on the ground and you're likely looking at the top QB for the week.

If you're more comfortable with Mahomes, by all means get him in your starting lineup. I like him this week too but think the ceiling is higher with Newton, with slightly higher risk.

• Like 1

How is possible that you have any clue that research into rankings has declined? I assure you, it hasn't.

Well maybe not on THIS site, but everyone and their dog has an FF site now... :dunno:

Im taking about the industry in general. Not you guys.

Im taking about the industry in general. Not you guys.

Indeed they do good work here overall...

It's funny I've pretty much been using the FFT printable cheatsheets for my drafts forever. I haven't bought a FF magazine or a newspaper for years.

There is a good site that gives a good summary of who should I start and lets you compare player to player that I use week to week. But otherwise I just use FFT rankings.

I also find through the wire is a must read every week.

As much as I'd like to share my site with other guys in my league, I want to keep the info to myself.

The loss of Atlanta's two key defenders certainly is a big factor. I do think Cam will have more on his plate this week and with the Falcons being susceptible to pass-catching RBs, a score from McCaffrey through the air seems more likely in this game. Add in a TD to a receiver and one on the ground and you're likely looking at the top QB for the week.

If you're more comfortable with Mahomes, by all means get him in your starting lineup. I like him this week too but think the ceiling is higher with Newton, with slightly higher risk.

Perfect Mike, thanks - this helps tremendously. Cam is a high risk/high reward this week and the league I have him in has crazy scoring where QB rushing TDs are 12, not 6 so with your thinking and my scoring, seems like he is the better play for me this week. Cam got me 21 last week compared to Mahomes' 48 (also bonuses for long TDs).