Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Self Defense Killing in Florida...Geeks got an opinion?

It's really a shame that this has become so political. I have a feeling justice will never be served no matter the outcome.

What evidence does Special Prosecutor Angela Corey have that prompted her to charge George Zimmerman with murdering Trayvon Martin? So far, she has refused to say.

Before long, though, she will be required by law to release the evidence — which fills several boxes. What will it show?

"It'll be like little bits and pieces that will have to be strung together," said Adam Pollack, an Orlando criminal-trial attorney. "Almost a bunch of little dots. Initially, the little dots don't make much sense, but if you step back, you see a bigger picture."

The public could get access in the next few days — although there may be delays — because prosecutors are legally required to share evidence with the defense and, once that happens, the information becomes public through a process called discovery. The most compelling evidence should fall into these categories:

Crime-scene evidence

That includes anything found at the scene where the two came into contact and the sidewalk where Zimmerman, a Sanford Neighborhood Watch volunteer, fatally shot the unarmed black teenager Feb. 26. He's charged with second-degree murder.

Local lawyers say some of the evidence they're most eager to see are photos or anything else that documents Zimmerman's injuries or their absence. He called Sanford police, describing Trayvon as suspicious and then began following the Miami Gardens teenager on foot.

Zimmerman said he shot Trayvon in self-defense after the teen punched him, knocked him to the ground and then began pounding his head on a sidewalk.

"I definitely want to know what injuries the defendant suffered, what type of injuries and to what extent they were documented," said Pollack.

Sanford police took photos of the defendant that night. They should be in the evidence soon to be released.

A security-camera video, shot from long range at Sanford's police headquarters, showed Zimmerman with no obvious signs of injury, but when ABC News enhanced it, there appeared to be a gash on the back of his head.

Other important pieces of evidence in this category include the bullet casing from the fatal shot and any markings from the grass or sidewalk that might hint at how violent the fight was and who had the upper hand.

Witness statements

The most important witness in the case may be Zimmerman. According to prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda, the defendant gave five statements to authorities. Police described one as a re-enactment.

"I want to know," said former Seminole County prosecutor Donna Goerner, "exactly what did he say."

"If his statements have a lot of inconsistencies in them," said Orlando criminal-defense attorney David Fussell, "then that can be problematic for the defense."

However, he also cautioned that it's not unusual for people in traumatic situations to alter their stories slightly over time, whether intentionally or not.

Investigators also interviewed a Miami teenager, thought to be Trayvon's 16-year-old girlfriend, who told them she was on the cellphone with Trayvon just before the shooting and he told her he was frightened because a stranger was following him, according to court records.

Also key to the case will be eye-witness statements. Several neighbors saw and heard Trayvon and Zimmerman fighting. If they saw Zimmerman on top, that would damage his self-defense claim.

Autopsy results

Trayvon died of a single gunshot wound to the chest, but the results of his autopsy should reveal how close the gun was when it went off and the bullet's trajectory, lawyers said.

Dale Gilbreath, a prosecution investigator, testified there was "stippling" around the entry wound, tiny gunpowder burns that Fussell said can be found only when the muzzle of a gun is close to the victim, usually an arm's length or less.

By plotting the bullet's trajectory, experts should be able to estimate the gun's relative position when it was fired, he said.

More important, said Goerner, are other marks on Trayvon's body, "signs of a struggle … signs of bruising."

If Zimmerman is telling the truth and Trayvon had him pinned to the ground and was beating him, the teenager's body should have cuts or bruises consistent with that, she said.

The funeral director who prepared Trayvon's body, Richard Kurtz, told the Orlando Sentinel he saw no such signs of a fight.

Crime-lab results

Police gathered Trayvon's and Zimmerman's clothes, and they have likely been analyzed for dirt, grass, blood and DNA by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The presence of any of those things would lend credence to Zimmerman's account that there had been a fight and the pair wound up on the ground, said Pollack.

If Zimmerman told the truth and Trayvon was on top, there's a strong likelihood that the teenager's blood and DNA would be on Zimmerman's clothes.

Likewise, if Zimmerman were bleeding and Trayvon kept punching him, the teenager may have had Zimmerman's blood and DNA on his clothing or skin.

"There's only two people who truly know," said Pollack. "Unfortunately, one of them is not able to testify."

~orlandosentinel.com

~orlandosentinel.com

I'm no lawyer, but how is it that all of this evidence becomes public before the trial? How will they ever pick a jury? :dunno:

Freedom of the press almost always trumps an individual's right to a fair trial.

They'll probably do what they did in the Casey Anthony case and bring in a jury from another part of the state (as if that's gonna help lol).

I'm no lawyer, but how is it that all of this evidence becomes public before the trial? How will they ever pick a jury? :dunno:

Get the participants in the latest Big Brother or Survivor reality show to do an encore performance on national TV.

CNN Wire Staff TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A task force created by Florida Gov. Rick Scott to examine the state's "Stand Your Ground" law in the wake of the Trayvon Martin shooting meets for the first time Tuesday.

Seventeen people will tackle the issue of whether the controversial law should be changed in light of the death of the unarmed teenager.

The task force, whose membership was announced last month, will take testimony at public meetings across the state. The first session will be held in the state capital, Tallahassee.

"We're not walking into this with any preconceived notions," Gov. Rick Scott said at an April 19 news conference. If there are "logical changes to be made," he said, the task force "will provide those."

Recommendations from the group will be passed along to the governor and the Legislature.

The group will review Florida Statute Chapter 776, which deals with justifiable use of force, including the stand your ground provision.

The law allows people to use deadly force when they feel a reasonable threat of death or serious injury. Critics and defenders of the law have argued over just what it allows, when it applies and whether it achieves its intended effect.

George Zimmerman, 28, a neighborhood watch volunteer, fatally shot Martin on February 26. He was arrested April 11 after a lengthy delay punctuated by protests and rallies nationwide calling for charges against him.

Critics accuse Zimmerman of racially profiling and unjustly killing Martin, a 17-year-old African-American. Zimmerman, who is Latino, told police he shot Martin in self-defense, according to police reports.

Although details of the shooting remain murky, it is known that Martin ventured out from the Sanford, Florida, home of his father's fiancee and went to a nearby convenience store, where he bought a bag of candy and an iced tea. On his way back, he had a confrontation with Zimmerman, who shot him.

Zimmerman was released last week on $150,000 bail, 10% of which was put up to secure his release while he awaits trial on a second-degree murder charge in Martin's death.

Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll, who is leading the Task Force on Citizens Safety and Protection, said the group is "highly qualified" and includes people from "many different points of view" who are "racially, regionally and professionally diverse."

The task force includes a retired judge, attorneys experienced in both prosecution and defense and members of neighborhood watch programs. Two state representatives are on the task force, one of them the author of the stand your ground bill in the House, Carroll said. The list of 17 members also shows two state senators.

There are no representatives from the National Rifle Association on the task force, Carroll said in response to a question. But the task force will hear from people on various sides of the issue at public events throughout the state.

She said the government did not reach out to people to join the task force, but rather considered people who had contacted officials and said they wanted to be a part of it.

"We're going to engage the entire state of Florida to tell us the pros and cons, how they feel about these laws," said the Rev. R.B. Holmes Jr., who is serving as vice chairman.

Florida's crime rate is at a 40-year low, and "I want to keep it that way," Scott said. "If there's laws that are impacting that, where people don't feel comfortable, I want to know about it."

The list of 17 task force members includes a sheriff, a former Florida Supreme Court justice and a leader of the League of United Latin American Citizens. Both Carroll and Holmes are African-American.

Questions of whether race played a role in the incident have been prominent in the uproar over the case.

Officials hope the task force will complete its work by the time of the state's next legislative session, so changes could be made then, she said.

A member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, Michael Yaki of San Francisco, said last week he will ask that agency to investigate such laws.

CNN's Kelly Frank and Matt Smith contributed to this report.

So silly. I can't believe Rick Scott is even pretending to care about this issue or this law.

More editing from NBC 'News'.

THIRD EMPLOYEE FIRED AFTER ANOTHER EDITED GEORGE ZIMMERMAN 911 TAPE SURFACES

And then there were three.

A third NBC employee has been fired from the network after yet another misleadingly edited George Zimmerman 911 tape surfaced from the Trayvon Martin shooting.

Lilia Luciano, a Miami-based correspondent, “is no longer working for the network,” TVNewser reports. Her firing follows the axing of an NBC producer who edited the original 911 call that caused so much controversy as well as a local NBC reporter, Jeff Burnside, who was found to have used a similarly-edited recording.

TVNewser explains what happened with the latest incident:

In a story for the “Today” show on March 20, Luciano used part of the George Zimmerman 911 call in which an entire phrase (italicized below) was taken from a later part of the conversation:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good or on drugs or something. He’s got his hand in his waistband. And he’s a black male.

Dispatcher: Are you following him?

Zimmerman: Yeah.

Dispatcher: Okay, we don’t need you to do that.

But here’s how the call really went:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he white, black, or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black.

NBC confirmed to Newser that Luciano is no longer with the network after having joined them a short 18 months ago from Univision. Her firing came after an internal investigation into the incident.

Media watchdog Media Research Center (MRC) excoriated NBC over the news, especially considering the network has yet to deliver an on-air apology (it has, however, done so via a statement).

“Despite Steve Capus, NBC News president, admitting they ‘probably’ should have apologized on-air, NBC still has yet to do so,” MRC’s president, Brent Bozell, said in a statement. “Even the local NBC affiliate that doctored the clip has fired the offender and apologized and retracted on-air.”

“Own up to your dishonesty, NBC,” he added, “tell your audience the truth for once and for all.”

More editing from NBC 'News'.

Link? I'm sure the story is true but I like to verify it myself. TIA.

:thumbsdown:

I did. It's really not that difficult. You know, it's one thing to be a sh*tty ass lawyer. It's another to be lazy as well. I suppose one could be related to the other though.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I did. It's really not that difficult. You know, it's one thing to be a sh*tty ass lawyer. It's another to be lazy as well. I suppose one could be related to the other though.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

First of all, fock you. It's low to go after someone's professional competency. And you've done it multiple times. You seem to be obsessed with my profession and frankly it's a little disturbing. Get a focking life.

Second of all, the fact that RP wouldn't link to the story indicates that he is not that confident in the source. Nor should he be. Apparently it comes from a place called "TVNewswer". Ever heard of them? Are you aware of their reputation for journalistic integrity?

I'm not saying RP's story isn't true, but I'd like a better source. And apparently so would RP.

Wouldn't it be great if Fox News fired their correspondents for lying the way NBC does? I might start watching again if they showed even a hint of journalistic integrity and ethics.

And apparently so would RP.

Apparently, RP doesn't give a ratsass whether you believe the story, or approve of where it came from.

HTH

:banana:

:doublethumbsup:

Apparently, RP doesn't give a ratsass whether you believe the story, or approve of where it came from.

If you weren't ashamed of the source, you would've linked to it. Period.

If you weren't ashamed of the source, you would've linked to it. Period.

....or, I was in a hurry, didn't get it transferred, and don't feel like looking it up again just because some lazy libturd is butthurt over more shenanigans at NBC "news". :lol:

First of all, fock you. It's low to go after someone's professional competency. And you've done it multiple times. You seem to be obsessed with my profession and frankly it's a little disturbing. Get a focking life.

Second of all, the fact that RP wouldn't link to the story indicates that he is not that confident in the source. Nor should he be. Apparently it comes from a place called "TVNewswer". Ever heard of them? Are you aware of their reputation for journalistic integrity?

I'm not saying RP's story isn't true, but I'd like a better source. And apparently so would RP.

You may have passed the bar, although I'm skeptical, but I find it hard to believe you make a living practicing law. Your responses throughout this thread are idiotic if coming from an actual attorney.

As far as this story goes, I did a quick google news search and found numerous reputable sources reporting it. I even took the story and a link I found and posted it at FBG's in the equivalent thread over there.

In short, get off your ass and look for it if you really don't believe it's true.

:lol:

You claimed you wanted to "verify it" yourself, then asked me to verify it for you. Typical lazy-ass libturd. :banana:

You are such a hypocrite. You pull the "Link?" card out all the time and try to make people dance around and you don't even have the common courtesy to put a link in when you quote something. :thumbsdown:

You are such a hypocrite. You pull the "Link?" card out all the time and try to make people dance around and you don't even have the common courtesy to put a link in when you quote something. :thumbsdown:

I try to always include a link. I just missed it this time. Worms is an ass, so I'm not going out of my way for him.

HTH

I don't normally stand up for RP, but I feel he and I get the same sh*t about links around here. We both consistently post links to support things we bring up. We also ask others to do the same regularly when something seems askew or contrary to what we believe. We get sh*t for asking for links. I don't think that on one of the rare occasions he doesn't post a link makes him a hypocrite, especially when the person asking for it NEVER posts links, even when requested to do so.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, such short tempers and such harsh language. You must settle this the only sensible way. Choose a weapon, take ten paces, turn, and fire.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, such short tempers and such harsh language. You must settle this the only sensible way. Choose a weapon, take ten paces, turn, and fire.

Go kill a hooker.

I try to always include a link. I just missed it this time. Worms is an ass, so I'm not going out of my way for him.

HTH

Funny, you just missed it in the unemployment thread too. Maybe you need a break.

Funny, you just missed it in the unemployment thread too. Maybe you need a break.

I'm gonna have to rethink this whole link thing. If not including them gets so many libturds all butthurt I may just skip adding them altogether. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to rethink this whole link thing. If not including them gets so many libturds all butthurt I may just skip adding them altogether. :thumbsup:

You got me. I'm totally butt-hurt. :thumbsup:

You may have passed the bar, although I'm skeptical, but I find it hard to believe you make a living practicing law. Your responses throughout this thread are idiotic if coming from an actual attorney.

As far as this story goes, I did a quick google news search and found numerous reputable sources reporting it. I even took the story and a link I found and posted it at FBG's in the equivalent thread over there.

In short, get off your ass and look for it if you really don't believe it's true.

Hey Strike, go fvck yourself. I've never attacked your professional competency. I don't even know what you do--nor do I care. But apparently it eats you up inside that I'm a lawyer. I don't know why because, as I've stated numerous times, it's not that impressive. So get the fock over it and move on to something else.

Hey Strike, go fvck yourself. I've never attacked your professional competency. I don't even know what you do--nor do I care. But apparently it eats you up inside that I'm a lawyer. I don't know why because, as I've stated numerous times, it's not that impressive. So get the fock over it and move on to something else.

did you find that link yet?

did you find that link yet?

Actually I did find an AP story and I'm now satisfied that it's true. This whole thing could've been avoided if RP bothered to link to a reputable source in the first place. That was my point. It's standard procedure here that when posting a news story you also provide the link. If you want to see why that's so important go check out BudBro's thread where he tried to pass off a year old discredited mouth-breathing blogger's story as coming from Time magazine.

When he goes to get his talking point over at the Huffington Post he will stumble upon it. :D

I don't read any disreputable political blogging sites--not Huffington Post, not Breitbart, not any of them. That's all you buddy.

Actually I did find an AP story and I'm now satisfied that it's true. This whole thing could've been avoided if RP bothered to link to a reputable source in the first place. That was my point. It's standard procedure here that when posting a news story you also provide the link. If you want to see why that's so important go check out BudBro's thread where he tried to pass off a year old discredited mouth-breathing blogger's story as coming from Time magazine.

Really? So the next time I ask you to link something you assert do you promise to do so? I don't ever remember you posting a link, much like Nikki, so I find it humorous that you're making such a big deal about this one.

Really? So the next time I ask you to link something you assert do you promise to do so? I don't ever remember you posting a link, much like Nikki, so I find it humorous that you're making such a big deal about this one.

Wow you are completely focking full of sh!t. I always provide a link if it's a news story. And if I don't, and someone calls me out for it, then they are right to call me out and I will immediately provide the link. Not provide some ghey snarky little comment like your buttboy RP.

Wow you are completely focking full of sh!t. I always provide a link if it's a news story. And if I don't, and someone calls me out for it, then they are right to call me out and I will immediately provide the link. Not provide some ghey snarky little comment like your buttboy RP.

Sure you do.

But I'll take that as a yes. Ok, I'll remember that.

How hard was it to find that AP link btw?

Easy Tiger. You are getting pretty worked up over a link. :doh: