Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Self Defense Killing in Florida...Geeks got an opinion?

Sanford, Florida (CNN) -- A case involving the fatal shooting of an unarmed Florida teen, which has sparked outrage and calls for justice, is in the hands of the state attorney's office.

Police say Trayvon Martin, 17, was returning from the convenience store to the home of his father's fiancee in a gated community in Sanford, Florida, around sunset on February 26.

A neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman, 28, saw the teen and called 911 to report a suspicious man, authorities said.

The 911 dispatcher told Zimmerman not to confront Martin, but by the time police arrived, the teenager lay dead with a gunshot wound in the chest, said Bill Lee, the Sanford police chief. He was carrying a small amount of cash, some candy and an iced tea.

Zimmerman told police he shot Martin in self defense, authorities said.

'Neighborhood watch' shooting racial?

Teen killed by neighborhood watch leader "When you add it up, it just doesn't even make sense," said Ben Crump, the Martin family's attorney. "Trayvon Martin, a kid, has a bag of Skittles. (Zimmerman) had a 9 mm gun. Trayvon Martin didn't approach George Zimmerman, George Zimmerman approached Trayvon Martin. So how can he now assert self defense?"

A gunshot can be heard on the 911 calls recorded that night, police said.

The Martin family has sought to make the tapes available, but State Attorney Norm Wolfinger said Tuesday the calls will not be made public until the investigation is complete.

"Trayvon Martin and his family, interested persons, and the public-at-large are entitled to no less than a through, deliberate and just review of the information provided, along with any other evidence that may or may not be developed in the course of the review process," Wolfinger's office said in a statement. "We intend to honor that commitment."

The shooting has sparked an outrage in the community, with some accusing Zimmerman, who is white, of profiling the black teenager.

Numerous CNN attempts to contact Zimmerman were unsuccessful, and it is unclear whether he has retained an attorney.

Police said they have not charged him because there are no grounds to disprove his story of what happened.

"The evidence and testimony we have so far does not establish that Mr. Zimmerman did not act in self defense. We don't have anything to dispute his claim of self-defense, at this point, with the evidence and testimony that we have," Lee said.

Lee said the 911 directions asking Zimmerman not to confront the teenager are not mandatory instructions.

"That is a call taker making a recommendation to him. He's not under a legal obligation to do that, so that is not something we can charge him with," he said. " But it would have been a good outcome ... if Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman never came in contact with one another."

In a letter sent to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, the NAACP expressed doubt in the Sanford Police Department and asked the Department of Justice to review the case.

"The NAACP has no confidence that, absent federal oversight, the Sanford Police Department will devote the necessary degree of care to its investigation. We therefore call upon you to detail personnel to Sanford immediately to review the facts, ensure that the Sanford Police Department conducts an impartial, thorough and prompt investigation of the circumstances involving the death of this unarmed teen, and ensure that the responsible person is held accountable if a crime was committed," the letter said.

~cnn.com

It was a mercy killing, saving the kid from a lifetime of diabetes.

It was a mercy killing, saving the kid from a lifetime of diabetes.

Tough to say without all the facts, but I agree...something seems to stink. :wave:

Tough to say without all the facts, but I agree...something seems to stink. :wave:

Black people? :dunno:

I get not releasing the 911 call as the investigation is still ongoing, but the below leaves me dumbfounded (granted that's not hard):

Witnesses told ABC News they heard Zimmerman pronounce aloud to the breathless residents watching the violence unfold "it was self-defense," and place the gun on the ground.

But after the shooting, a source inside the police department told ABC News that a narcotics detective and not a homicide detective first approached Zimmerman. The detective pepppered Zimmerman with questions, the source said, rather than allow Zimmerman to tell his story. Questions can lead a witness, the source said.

Another officer corrected a witness after she told him that she heard the teen cry for help.

The officer told the witness, a long-time teacher, it was Zimmerman who cried for help, said the witness. ABC News has spoken to the teacher and she confirmed that the officer corrected her when she said she heard the teenager shout for help.

~abc.com

:unsure:

This has been all over the local news. My guess is the kid was confronted and got pissed off. The kid probably started a fight and was shot in the scuffle.

Idiot neighborhood watch dude, but self defense none the less. Case closed.

Taste the rainbow

This has been all over the local news. My guess is the kid was confronted and got pissed off. The kid probably started a fight and was shot in the scuffle.

That seems like the least likely scenario.

That seems like the least likely scenario.

He should have expected the response.

In Florida it's well known that you don't bring a bag of Skittles to a Goddam Gator Fight. :thumbsdown:

The article should be titled When Stupid People Collide.

A 17 year old with more testosterone than brains meets overzealous neighborhood watch homeowner association moron.

Here is my guess how this went down.

Neighborhood Watch Guy: What are you doing in this neighborhood, boy?

Teenager: Fock you! You old ass cracker.

Neighborhood Watch Guy: I am going to call the police.

Teenager: I'm gonna fock you up old man.

Teenager: Runs toward the car and tries to grab the old man. Fearing for his life he shoots the teenager.

A 17 year old with more testosterone than brains meets overzealous neighborhood watch homeowner association moron.

Teenager: Runs toward the car and tries to grab the old man. Fearing for his life he shoots the teenager.

Oh I'm sure the dude with the bag of Skittles and a Snapple was the aggressor in the incident. Not the dude with the gun who had already called the police and assumed the kid was a criminal because he was black. :rolleyes: Makes perfect sense.

Drug deal gone bad. Watch

I realize this is the geek club and we make fun of macabre situations, but this subject is important to me. :thumbsdown:

I'm going to Florida in 6 weeks. :unsure:

I realize this is the geek club and we make fun of macabre situations, but this subject is important to me. :thumbsdown:

I'm going to Florida in 6 weeks. :unsure:

Avoid negroes.........and Skittles

Avoid negroes.........and Skittles

What about racist wanna be cops? :unsure:

And I love skittles. :cry:

Avoid negroes white trash .........and Skittles

Although that may be difficult in Florida.

The teenager shot the teenager? That is a new twist.

I live not far from where this happened. Sanford is a high crime city (much higher than the rest of Seminole county, which is actually where Orange County residents tend to relocate to get away from crime there). I don't doubt for a minute that this neighborhood watch guy thought there was something going down...stuff goes down A LOT in Sanford.

The general feeling around here is that the whole thing stinks, the guy wasn't shooting in self defense and that there's a cover-up ongoing.

Bad shoot and likely should be prosecuted.

Bad shoot and likely should be prosecuted.

Maybe, but according to the law (from what I've read) it's far from a slam dunk.

The case has been turned over to the State Attorney's Office, which can decide whether to file charges or present evidence to a grand jury.

Never bring Skittles to a gun fight.

Huh, broke 10,000 posts and didn't even remember to make a self-jerkoff thread about it.

Never bring Skittles to a gun fight.

3 MUSKETEERS®? :unsure:

3 MUSKETEERS®? :unsure:

He should have brought Mentos, the fresh maker.

Sad sh!t...

Sad that a kid lost his life.

Sad that what I assume is a generally upstanding member of society made a huge mistake, taking a kids life.

Sad that we're at a point in society where we make fun of such tragic events, behind the comforts of keyboards.

And we're (westerners) supposed to be the civilized ones...

:thumbsdown:

just reading your responses explains why the teen is dead.

as a woman i've been down right amazed at how afraid white people are of blacks.

i guess i can understand based on the constant flood of images of blacks as killers and robbers.

however, i have witnessed the most insane behavior of whites.

you guys must be scared shtless of black men, especially because people get scared when they see me and i'm a skinny woman.

february:

8:30 am on my way to work in my honda behind a bmw. we are stopped at a red light. a bus stop is to our right. AN EMORY COLLEGE BUS STOP not a general city bus stop. mostly asian kids are waiting, a few whites and one black guy. i think he may be emory staff because he looked a little older than a student. it's morning mind you. the white dude in the bmw is fixated by the black guy. wherever the black guy walks, the white guys head follows. the black guy is on the cell phone walking back and forth while talking. the black guy approaches the white dudes car and the white guy jumps and reaches for his cell phone in a panic but the black guy keeps walking as the black guy wasn't going for the white guy's car, he was just walking and talking, waiting for the bus. light turns green and i think, what a punk ass the guy is in front of me.

january:

7 pm, i'm walking home. i walk out of emory campus up the street toward my apartment. some white chick is walking behind me and has been on my heels since we both left the emory gates. i walk faster, she walks faster. finally after 3 blocks i decide to slow up to let her get passed me so that she can walk ahead of me. she walks ahead. we are approaching a city bus stop that has about 5 black people waiting there. as i usually walk this way home i know that they are probably emory staff workers or workers from the VA hospital as most of them are wearing dark uniforms. the white chick STOPS DEAD IN HER TRACKS, afraid to approach the fcking bus stop of black people. she waits for me to walk in front of her so she can walk next to me, like a fcking btch. after we're a block away from the blacks she speeds up again.

that doesn't include the times that white people see me and yelp or move across the hall and say, "i'm sorry" to me as i pass by. i still don't get that one. i weigh 124 lbs and i'm 5'8", i'm really not that threatening looking.

i just blame the media and hip hop....and obama.

as a woman i've been down right amazed at how afraid white people are of blacks.

i guess i can understand based on the constant flood of images of blacks as killers and robbers.

you guys must be scared shtless of black men, especially because people get scared when they see me and i'm a skinny woman.

february:

8:30 am on my way to work in my honda behind a bmw. we are stopped at a red light. a bus stop is to our right. AN EMORY COLLEGE BUS STOP not a general city bus stop. mostly asian kids are waiting, a few whites and one black guy. i think he may be emory staff because he looked a little older than a student. it's morning mind you. the white dude in the bmw is fixated by the black guy. wherever the black guy walks, the white guys head follows. the black guy is on the cell phone walking back and forth while talking. the black guy approaches the white dudes car and the white guy jumps and reaches for his cell phone in a panic but the black guy keeps walking as the black guy wasn't going for the white guy's car, he was just walking and talking, waiting for the bus. light turns green and i think, what a punk ass the guy is in front of me.

january:

7 pm, i'm walking home. i walk out of emory campus up the street toward my apartment. some white chick is walking behind me and has been on my heels since we both left the emory gates. i walk faster, she walks faster. finally after 3 blocks i decide to slow up to let her get passed me so that she can walk ahead of me. she walks ahead. we are approaching a city bus stop that has about 5 black people waiting there. as i usually walk this way home i know that they are probably emory staff workers or workers from the VA hospital as most of them are wearing dark uniforms. the white chick STOPS DEAD IN HER TRACKS, afraid to approach the fcking bus stop of black people. she waits for me to walk in front of her so she can walk next to me, like a fcking btch. after we're a block away from the blacks she speeds up again.

that doesn't include the times that white people see me and yelp or move across the hall and say, "i'm sorry" to me as i pass by. i still don't get that one. i weigh 124 lbs and i'm 5'8", i'm really not that threatening looking.

The reason could have something to do with black folks make up 12% of the population yet commit 75% of the violent crimes. She is not racist, just cautious.

Sad sh!t...

Sad that what I assume is a generally upstanding member of society made a huge mistake, taking a kids life.

Sad that we're at a point in society where we make fun of such tragic events, behind the comforts of keyboards.

Not to mention the poor Skittles

Sad sh!t...

I was joking around, but I do feel like it is just a terrible, awful series of unfortunate events. I listened to one of the 911 calls earlier today. Chilling and disturbing to hear it actually happen.

february:

january:

Ron Paul is right.

Until ALL people can stop classifying folks into "groups" we'll always have racism.

Peenie, you're JUST as guilty as anybody else for perpetuating racism.

Until ALL people look at ALL people, as nothing more than fellow PEOPLE, we'll always have racism. You are just as guilty as anyone for this problem.

the thing is, i didn't call anyone racist.

did you miss this part:

i guess i can understand based on the constant flood of images of blacks as killers and robbers

of course people should be cautious.

most black people commit crimes against other black people, so why wouldn't i be more afraid?

the point is that whites are afraid of blacks when it makes no sense to fear them.

why would a man in a 2 ton vehicle fear a black man on a cell phone waiting at a bus stop??

i'm saying the fear is absurd, such that a florida man shot an unarmed black boy walking home.

that was my point.

you all are too busy defending what should not be defended.

what a strange conclusion you've come to.

a young boy goes to the store to buy some skittles and an armed man approaches and you think the boy started a fight and then the man with the gun kills him in self defense?

amazing!!

listen to the first and third audio tape.

the boy is heard screaming SCREAMING for help!

then he's shot dead. you can hear the whole thing on the tape.

it's the scream of child, not a crazed thug.

first and third audio tape

I think Zimmeran is guilty of murder, or manslaughter at the very least.

I hope he is prosecuted, convicted, and spends the rest of his days as some gang's prison b!tch. :thumbsup: