Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

Everything I have read says there has been zero communication between Bell and the team....and thats why they think he is sitting out the season.

That reasoning doesnt seem all that definitive to me.

Everything I have read says there has been zero communication between Bell and the team....and thats why they think he is sitting out the season.

That reasoning doesnt seem all that definitive to me.

One story said he was expected to sign. There was no reasoning given other than that he was in town. Another story said he was not expected to sign. There was no reasoning other than he has given no indication that he would. I have never seen a story like this where reporters just keep making things up.

From my perspective Bell came to Pittsburgh last week with the intent to sign. Then he and his agent learned that Bell will be guaranteed over $25 million (the top 5 salaries in the NFL including quarterbacks) for the Steelers to tag him again.

At this point it doesn't make any sense for Le'veon to risk playing this season for what he'd make compared to what he will make next season.

At least we are near the end of wondering if he will suit up as a Steeler this year if he doesn't sign by Tuesday Nov 13.

From my perspective Bell came to Pittsburgh last week with the intent to sign. Then he and his agent learned that Bell will be guaranteed over $25 million (the top 5 salaries in the NFL including quarterbacks) for the Steelers to tag him again.

But doesn't he have to officially sign a second franchise deal (this year) for next year to count as his 3rd franchise deal (and the $25M)??

That was the narrative until recently when a report came out stating that he didn't need to sign for the franchise tag to go up to 25 million. I believe Tom Pelisero was the reporter

Ian Rapoport in reporting on the NFL Network today that the Steelers do not expect Bell to sign by tomorrow because Bell now knows that this season counts as an accrued season under the franchise tag.

Also, Bell deleted the Pittsburgh Steelers from his twitter bio last week.

Looks like this thread will hold on for another 4 months.

If he really didn't know all of the contract details from the beginning he needs to fire his agent asap. There are millions on the line and you are getting info from reporters?

The clown crew on GMFB just said the clock is ticking on Bell to sign. No. No its not.

Congrats to all those savy/lucky enough to grab Conner from day 1. Kudos to Philly Girl for recognizing Conner as this years Kamara early on. Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

I don't get it. Is Bell that stubborn or did he get some really bad financial advice? I can't believe he turned down 14.5 million.

On the one hand I never traded Conner so from a fantasy perspective it's a win for me, but meh.

I don't get it. Is Bell that stubborn or did he get some really bad financial advice? I can't believe he turned down 14.5 million.

On the one hand I never traded Conner so from a fantasy perspective it's a win for me, but meh.

Played his cards all wrong. Expect Steelers to cave in within the first month. Burned some bridges with his team. At that point, why are you gonna sign for just $6 million and risk injury and screw your pay day for next year too? He already screwed up this year.

Terrific.. Per the MMQB on SI.com:

".. a star could sit out an entire season on the franchise tag for the first time since Sean Gilbert did it 21 years ago."

I draft L. Bell at overall 3 (Gurley, AB), when I *SERIOUSLY* considered going for Kamara or Barkley instead. (Discounted Hunt with a new QB!) First time in over 20 years a player held out for the entire season..

I am soooooooooooo glad that after a bad draft in 2017, I decided to do Fanduel for a defacto $-league in 2018. (I'm still in a smack-talk / for fun league - hence, L. Bell.) :thumbsup:

EVERYTHING that I've read regarding what he did says it was the wrong decision. I think I read that THROUGH HIS CAREER, he only made ~ $16M. He could have DOUBLED his CAREER earnings by playing this year. :doh:

As I've shared with friends of mine over the years: I was in a horrendous work environment in February 2001, and resigned from a job, without one "in hand." Was unemployed for four months. I'll N-E-V-E-R do that again. I'll never get that time back / the missed or foregone wages. And my salary was (is) a FRACTION of what Bell voluntarily surrendered. For a historic organization / coach / HOF-caliber QB / only consensus pick All-Pro WR. It isn't like he played for CLE or BUF!! :shocking:

I *WILL* laugh at his expense this off-season, whenever his contract figure is released.

Congrats to all those savy/lucky enough to grab Conner from day 1. Kudos to Philly Girl for recognizing Conner as this years Kamara early on. Cheers

Aww, thanks. Too bad for Bell owners who took him with the #2 pick, or even worse, passed on Gurley and took him with the first pick.

Aww, thanks. Too bad for Bell owners who took him with the #2 pick, or even worse, passed on Gurley and took him with the first pick.

Yep, that's me! lol. I picked up Gurley 4th in one league and had first pick in my other. I took the whole allotted time to decide between Bell and Gurley but decided on Bell JUST IN CASE Gurley didn't have quite the year like last year. Luckily I picked up Connor immediately. But not having a top 19 pick play at all this season hasn't helped me at all. lol.

I commend this man for taking a stand and risking it for not only his future but his peers. He told the Steelers what he would do if they tried to franchise him again and use and abuse him with no attempt to offer him a "fair market" contract after what he's done for the organization. I'm also happy to see Conner doing great things with his back story. Bottom line is we all have the right do make whatever choices we want with our lives. Just because he could have made 14 Million which of course to all of us is life changing money, doesn't mean he should take it when it's not right what the Steelers did to him. Yell all you want about the "privilege" or playing "football" isn't a real job but the reality is there are a lot of people earning a living from the billionaire owners to the concession stand operators in this Industry. Time will tell if it works out the way he wants but he earned the right to make the choice. He doesn't owe anyone else crap and he believes he's doing what's right for him and his family and that's all that should matter to him.

• Like 2

So, is it absolutely 100% safe to drop Bell, or is there some little known loophole that could possibly get him on the field this year?

So, is it absolutely 100% safe to drop Bell, or is there some little known loophole that could possibly get him on the field this year?

100% safe. No loopholes, it isn't happening this year.

• Like 1

Yes, he cannot play this year at all...not for the Steelers...not for any other team...well, unless he likes Canada in the winter.

• Like 1

I commend this man for taking a stand and risking it for not only his future but his peers. He told the Steelers what he would do if they tried to franchise him again and use and abuse him with no attempt to offer him a "fair market" contract after what he's done for the organization. I'm also happy to see Conner doing great things with his back story. Bottom line is we all have the right do make whatever choices we want with our lives. Just because he could have made 14 Million which of course to all of us is life changing money, doesn't mean he should take it when it's not right what the Steelers did to him. Yell all you want about the "privilege" or playing "football" isn't a real job but the reality is there are a lot of people earning a living from the billionaire owners to the concession stand operators in this Industry. Time will tell if it works out the way he wants but he earned the right to make the choice. He doesn't owe anyone else crap and he believes he's doing what's right for him and his family and that's all that should matter to him.

Well said.

GM Kevin Colbert and the Steelers' organization offered Bell the one year $14.55 million franchise tag or the $10 million guaranteed multi year deal.

If Bell had a career ending injury this season playing for the Steelers he would of made at most $14.55 million. His NFL career and earnings would be over.

An insurance policy against injury would of been millions a month to cover his future potential earnings.

Bell and his agent know that he will sign a contract in 2019 worth more than $15 guaranteed. More than what the Steelers were willing to commit to Bell and his family.

The narrative that Bell and his agent are stupid is simply ignorant.

As a Steeler fan I wish Le'veon the best. I get what he did. He was one of my favorite players ever to watch. I'm glad I own him in a keeper league and I look forward to his future success. Also glad I drafted James Conner in the 12th round in all of my leagues.

• Like 1

Congrats to all those savy/lucky enough to grab Conner from day 1. Kudos to Philly Girl for recognizing Conner as this years Kamara early on. Cheers

WTF?

This is my thread.....

see the problem is that he was offered almost twice the next highest guaranteed RB salary and he turned it down, he will never recoup the 14 mill he lost, and it wont change a damn thing next time someone wants to hold out on the franchise tag. He made a huge mistake

so next year he gets 3 yr 36 mil with around 25 guar, had he played this year, he would have made 14 already and still got at least that deal, no matter how much wear he has

Sometimes in our lives we all have pain

We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow
Le'Veon on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to Le'Veon
Please swallow your pride
If I have things you need to borrow
For no one can fill those of your needs
That you won't let show
You just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to Le'Veon
I just might have a problem that you'll understand
We all need somebody to Le'Veon on
Le'Veon me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to Le'Veon
You just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to Le'veon
I just might have a problem that you'll understand
We all need somebody to Le'veon
If there is a load you have to bear
That you can't carry
I'm right up the road
I'll share your load
If you just call me (call me)
If you need a friend (call me) call me uh huh(call me) if you need a friend (call me)
If you ever need a friend (call me)
Call me (call me) call me (call me) call me
(Call me) call me (call me) if you need a friend
(Call me) call me (call me) call me (call me) call me (call me) call me (call me)

Wow great post, and thank you for it.

Yes congrats to you Philly Girl great prediction.

And once again thanks for this post.

"An insurance policy against injury would of been millions a month to cover his future potential earnings."

Uh, wrong. Last year OBJ bought an insurance policy for $100M, in case he got injured. It was expensive - I think ~ $1M, but it was a one-time payment. Not millionS.

The clown crew on GMFB just said the clock is ticking on Bell to sign. No. No its not.

Kay Adams has carte blanche to say whatever she wants lol. On topic, I hope Bell gets paid. Just let the market determine his worth.

Well said.

GM Kevin Colbert and the Steelers' organization offered Bell the one year $14.55 million franchise tag or the $10 million guaranteed multi year deal.

If Bell had a career ending injury this season playing for the Steelers he would of made at most $14.55 million. His NFL career and earnings would be over.

An insurance policy against injury would of been millions a month to cover his future potential earnings.

Bell and his agent know that he will sign a contract in 2019 worth more than $15 guaranteed. More than what the Steelers were willing to commit to Bell and his family.

The narrative that Bell and his agent are stupid is simply ignorant.

As a Steeler fan I wish Le'veon the best. I get what he did. He was one of my favorite players ever to watch. I'm glad I own him in a keeper league and I look forward to his future success. Also glad I drafted James Conner in the 12th round in all of my leagues.

there is a report out saying that Bell said the offered him only "17 million guaranteed". It's been 10, it's been 17 and it's been 30 depending on who or where you read. Bottom line is he had 14.5 million guaranteed regardless once is signed a contract.

I saw something the other day about who you pay. I can't find it, but it went like: "Pay your QB, then pay the guy that protects your QB's back, then pay the guy that gets after the other team's QB, then pay your WR that catches passes from your QB, then pay the guy that keeps the other teams WR from catching passes..."

RB was WAY down on the list.

there is a report out saying that Bell said the offered him only "17 million guaranteed". It's been 10, it's been 17 and it's been 30 depending on who or where you read. Bottom line is he had 14.5 million guaranteed regardless once is signed a contract.

I saw something the other day about who you pay. I can't find it, but it went like: "Pay your QB, then pay the guy that protects your QB's back, then pay the guy that gets after the other team's QB, then pay your WR that catches passes from your QB, then pay the guy that keeps the other teams WR from catching passes..."

Good priority list there.

Kay Adams is a bufoon-I watched that show ONE time for about 5 minutes-I'm sick of how networks are having men be puppets to the women "hosting" the show-no woman knows anything more about football I've never heard before. And true justice would be for Bell to come back next year with another team and when they play the Steelers he gets hurt playing against them, and I am NOT by a longshot a Steeler fan!

Good priority list there.

I gotta believe Bell just had a lot of people in his ear. Whether it be agent, family, friends, or all of them just telling him he is being abused by the Steelers. I can't think of any other reason. And if he is so worried about injury, why is he out playing basketball and jet skiing? It doesn't make sense. He must have been only reacting on emotion and nothing else.

I think Bell didnt feel like going to work, so he decided to sit

Bell had 160 receptions in his last 27 games. He is the exception to the rule.

see the problem is that he was offered almost twice the next highest guaranteed RB salary and he turned it down, he will never recoup the 14 mill he lost, and it wont change a damn thing next time someone wants to hold out on the franchise tag. He made a huge mistake

so next year he gets 3 yr 36 mil with around 25 guar, had he played this year, he would have made 14 already and still got at least that deal, no matter how much wear he has

Would you rather take a 14 mill contract or a 25 mill contract??

Bell has already outlived the life expectancy of a NFL RB.

14 million this year, and take the chance that I dont go Robert Edwards

yeah he could tear and ACL or Achilles, but chances of him having a career ending injury are extremely slim

now he will be lucky if he gets more than 20 mil guar for his next contract

I would take 14mil today even if you promised me 25mil tomorrow. Bird in hand worth two in the Bush. The 14 is right there for me to take. This mythical 25mil is only your promise.

I feel he did the right thing only because theres always a team willing to pay. He took zero chances with his health by not playing a single down. Im not sure how he becomes a FA though if he didnt accrue a year. Still not solid on how that all shakes out.