Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

Aaron Hernandez Found to Have Severe C.T.E.

Here come the lawsuits... People should just stop banging their heads into things if they don't want repercussions. In highschool practice once I got knocked dizzy where it took me at least a minute to be able to start walking straight again. I learned from that.

I was 16 and was thinking, that can't be healthy for my future.

Here come the lawsuits... People should just stop banging their heads into things if they don't want repercussions. In highschool practice once I got knocked dizzy where it took me at least a minute to be able to start walking straight again. I learned from that.

I was 16 and was thinking, that can't be healthy for my future.

This explains a great deal.

• Like 2

This explains a great deal.

Yep. These guys put their physical futures at risk by their own decisions and you are just plain stupid without getting hit in the head. Born that way. Slow... ☺

The NFL needs a waiver form signing for this. Players have known now for a while how bad it is. And even if the medical community didn't know prior, you should know yourself by what happens when you get a concussion. Play or don't play.

The NFL needs a waiver form signing for this. Players have known now for a while how bad it is. And even if the medical community didn't know prior, you should know yourself by what happens when you get a concussion. Play or don't play.

I do agree with this, players' estates should not be able to retroactively sue after they die just because there was CTE in their system.

However, I do think these reports that come out are vital to the conversation around the future of the league and how many people this really does affect. This is the stuff that parents need to continuously hear in order to make an informed decision.

I just wish there wasn't such cynicism from people every time one of these announcements come out, and just presuming that its a money grab. This is important information that people need to be encouraged to listen to intently, and that becomes harder if fans just nonchalantly brush it off.

I do agree with this, players' estates should not be able to retroactively sue after they die just because there was CTE in their system.

However, I do think these reports that come out are vital to the conversation around the future of the league and how many people this really does affect. This is the stuff that parents need to continuously hear in order to make an informed decision.

I just wish there wasn't such cynicism from people every time one of these announcements come out, and just presuming that its a money grab. This is important information that people need to be encouraged to listen to intently, and that becomes harder if fans just nonchalantly brush it off.

Agreed, but unless contrary evidence comes out on either side, screw the players. They know its not healthy. But money tskes over.

Make them take a CTE test before they get drafted. Develops a baseline and they can also refuse employment to someone already showing signs. You can bet that will resonate down into college and maybe the head hunting will stop and form tackling will make a comeback

Make them take a CTE test before they get drafted. Develops a baseline and they can also refuse employment to someone already showing signs. You can bet that will resonate down into college and maybe the head hunting will stop and form tackling will make a comeback

Well considering that you have to crack open the person's skull and physically inspect for signs of CTE... I'm guessing that might be a little unworkable

Well considering that you have to crack open the person's skull and physically inspect for signs of CTE... I'm guessing that might be a little unworkable

Well, an MRI then. Cheeky.

Big changes will be coming to the game of football.

Honestly, I bet not. There will always be 20 year old adults that will sacrifice their health for wealth and popularity.

They only fet concerned when they are 50.

Can't diagnose CTE through an MRI, sport.

Just have them sign a waiver or not get drafted. Its dangerous to the brain to play in the nfl. Duh... No testing needed.

And why call someone 'sport'?

I don't think those young 20 somethings will have any say in the changes.

Hard to say what type of changes the NFL can do, but I think they will.

Flag football anyone.

Can't diagnose CTE through an MRI, sport.

Catscan then. And this isn't the place for your childish antics. Show some respect.

Just slap a Surgeon General warning on the helmet. Worked for cigarettes which are still legal.

Reading some of the posts in this thread, some of you need to get your own CTE test.

:lol:

I have three sons, we had all of them stop playing football. Best thing we ever did maybe...

Catscan then. And this isn't the place for your childish antics. Show some respect.

Jesus dude. Just stop. You need to be dead and donate your brain to science to diagnose CTE. Dead.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, but I may be the lone voice of opposition. Yes, it's a dangerous sport....like many sports are. We have known this for years, and now we have an acronym for one aspect of it.

I played in high school and college. I have had my "bell rung" dozens of times.....including blackouts and undiagnosed concussions, I have no doubt. Thank the Lord, I have no systematic repercussions, nor do any of my former teammates that I still correspond with. I knew from junior high on that it was dangerous....but it was what I chose to do. My parents understood, and let me pursue it. The danger and violence is part of the draw. Some boys and men relish the opportunity to go to war each week with a group like-minded individuals. It is innate.

I respect those who choose not to participate or keep their kid out. However, my boy has my full approval if he, if he so chooses. Life is ripe with risks, and I know the rewards that come with/from football.

As for the pros, let them choose another career if they are truly concerned. No problem. However, after each player weighs the risks vs the rewards, let football remain football for the warriors whom crave it, and the fans that appreciate it.

Probably won't happen unless there is more of an outcry. In tonight's game Watkins got popped helmet to helmet. Collinsworth nonchalantly says he might have a concussion. Had Tom Brady been sent to the locker room on a similar hit Collinsworth would have gone on a rant. People only care about the QB position and so the NFL protects them, well except Cam Newton.

Jesus dude. Just stop. You need to be dead and donate your brain to science to diagnose CTE. Dead.

You can't diagnose a concussion while someone is alive? Can't see signs of one with an MRI or whatever? It's all just observation? I don't think so.

You can't diagnose a concussion while someone is alive? Can't see signs of one with an MRI or whatever? It's all just observation? I don't think so.

You really need to research the subject. It's not about diagnosing a concussion. There is no test that can be performed on a living human being to test for Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, i.e. CTE.

I see more helmet-to-helmet hits today, and guys getting knocked unconscious before they hit the ground, than I've ever witnessed before. And rarely do I see repercussions for said hits. Why aren't these hits being reviewed like they are in college? Or why isn't the NFL severely punishing players that continue to lead with their helmet into other players' heads? Until the NFL cracks down on these types of hits, CTE will forever be an issue. Yes, football is inherently a dangerous sport, but the amount of blunt force trauma to the head can be significantly reduced if players are taught through coaching or punishment that their helmets aren't tackling aids.

You really need to research the subject. It's not about diagnosing a concussion. There is no test that can be performed on a living human being to test for Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, i.e. CTE.

Absolutely right. But man, I wish i was smart enough to develop a test that could. $$$$

Son plays hockey so his sport isn't totally safe either, but football is quite a bit worse and he wants nothing to do with it. He's much smarter than me.

Actually, there's some significant results from researchers at UCLA using PET scans to detect tau protein (linked to CTE) as a CTE diagnostic tool, and some researchers at Boston University and the University of Washington who are detecting the same marker by way of blood tests.

http://www.tsn.ca/a-possible-breakthrough-on-testing-cte-1.210725

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Brain-Health/cte-concussion-nfl-brain/2016/02/29/id/716689/

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/14714852/fred-mcneill-had-cte-identified-was-alive

How will these lawsuits succeed against the NFL? They will simply say it happened in high school/college football...

It's entirely possible that continued research will be able to determine whether that claim is true or not in individual cases.

It's also still the case that the NFL has been flat out hiding the facts it knew from players for decades, and getting in the way of advancing safety protocols. Current players still have a lot of grounds based on how the NFL has acted in the past. Very similar to why cigarette companies were liable for suits. Everyone now says "Come on, you know it's dangerous", but the truth was that the cigarette companies spent decades telling smokers that it was not dangerous at all. The NFL in many ways is in a similar position.

• Like 1

Aaron Hernandez play 38 games in the NFL.

So what?

Edit: to be clearer, physiologists and athletic trainers I know like to equate playing a football game at the college and pro level with being in a car accident. One game has in many ways the same effects on a person's body as being in a significant (more than fender bender) car accident. So Hernandez experienced the equivalent of 38 car accidents during his NFL career. No way that could have had a significant effect on his health?

Actually, there's some significant results from researchers at UCLA using PET scans to detect tau protein (linked to CTE) as a CTE diagnostic tool, and some researchers at Boston University and the University of Washington who are detecting the same marker by way of blood tests.

http://www.tsn.ca/a-possible-breakthrough-on-testing-cte-1.210725

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Brain-Health/cte-concussion-nfl-brain/2016/02/29/id/716689/

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/14714852/fred-mcneill-had-cte-identified-was-alive

Interesting, although according to one of the 2016 articles it said the new testing method study was preliminary. Looks encouraging.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/sports/aaron-hernandez-cte-brain.html?src=twr&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Man, not for me. If I ever have kids, I will steer them away from football.

When I meet football parents who ask me why my "big for his age", athletic son never played football, I tell them that the practice schedule is too demanding. What I really want to tell them is that I actually care about his health and I would consider myself a terrible parent if I put him in football.

Yeah but I can't sign a waiver form stating that I'm aware of the risk of driving without a seatbelt so that I can do just that. At a certain point the rules that apply to the common man, have to apply to millionaire athletes.

Yeah but I can't sign a waiver form stating that I'm aware of the risk of driving without a seatbelt so that I can do just that. At a certain point the rules that apply to the common man, have to apply to millionaire athletes.

And waivers are not a lock to keep you from being sued. Signed waivers get set aside in court decisions all the time.