Sign in to follow this  
the lone star

Was This Rule Change A Mistake? - Dynasty League Tanking

Was It Wrong For The Commissioner To Make This Rule Change?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Was It Wrong For The Commissioner To Make This Rule Change?

I wanted to stay strictly to the rules to prevent people from saying I made them up as I went on, but pressure from 10 other people made me change them

That was your problem right there. I know it's not easy when you have a bunch of people mad and expecting you to fix it. You have to stick to your guns and the rule book. It will work if you do that.

I had 10 owners who wanted me to overturn a trade that was voted on and approved by the same owners in a 12 team league just because someone had a personal issue with the owner who initiated the trade. It was the biggest mess I have ever encountered in fantasy football as commish but I stuck it out and at the end it was fine. I gained respect of the owners for doing what was right and not what was popular. Now everyone in the league trusts me and my judgement as commish. It's much easier than it was. It works.

i kind of agree with you, but a guy basically starting 2 QBs since 1 was listed as a RB is hard to not see others point when theres money to be had.

I am in a long standing (maybe 15 years) IDP Dynasty league. Very deep benches.

You should have zero problem finding guys to start that are not hurt or on a bye. The commish reviews lineups each week. If he sees someone openly tanking (bye weeks, injuries, starting a bum over your top guys for no real reason) he will send them a warning. 2nd time loss of I think 3rd round pick. 3rd time loss of 1st round pick.

You have to do some obvious tanking for him to warn you.

We have 14 solid owners. If we get a goofball we end up weeding them out. So this rarely has been a problem over all these years.

If you have a bunch of d bags in your league I could see where other actions would be needed. Like lotto the non playoff teams. But that would suck.

Yeah, I like the warning for first infraction rule.

Yeah, I like the warning for first infraction rule.

I like how all of your polls are locked, but nice thread-bump from a month-old comment.

;)

i kind of agree with you, but a guy basically starting 2 QBs since 1 was listed as a RB is hard to not see others point when theres money to be had.

Which QB was also listed as a RB?

Depends on the rule. In this case the commish (who I think everyone should agree, is in charge to a point and needs to have power to make certain decisions) made a midstream rule about tanking for draft picks. Can we all also agree that tanking for draft picks doesn't need a league vote to be outlawed? He implemented an excellent solution (albeit not perfect, nothing is) that would certainly favor the weaker teams. The whole thing was handled in the best way possible IMO.

I disagree. Personally, I think the better way to address it is to let bygones be bygones and just make the changes proactice. That is, let them have effect going forward, instead of allowing them to have a retroactive effect. That changes strategy and could give the commish an advantage if he decides to trade up to one of the spots that was altered by his actions (which, as it turns out, actually happened).

Retroactive changes are a slippery slope.