Sign in to follow this  
t.j. booker

ever feel like this?

I hate my job, mostly my coworkers but I feel stuck in it because I made a decent salary and have a family to support. I am married to someone I don't like and regret getting married but now we're parents together. I like being a dad but basically get nothing out of my marriage we're just coparents and sort of friedns or domestic partners. I have almost no one in my actual life to talk to about this stuff and spend a lot of time wandering around hoping to be struck by lightning. really I'd like to blow it all up and start over.

anybody ever feel like this?

• Like 1

You sound like me about 8 years ago. A little advice, sometimes you blow things up and realize that you're actually an even more miserable SOB than you were before.

Been there.

It's tough...on the surface I'd say blow it up. But definitely look into custody stuff with kids, can you handle that sort of situation, money, etc.

Was in the same boat...man...life's waaayy to short to be miserable...work, or relationship wise.

You could blow it up and a year from now wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Or you'll off yourself.

Either one. :)

I hate my job, mostly my coworkers but I feel stuck in it because I made a decent salary and have a family to support. I am married to someone I don't like and regret getting married but now we're parents together. I like being a dad but basically get nothing out of my marriage we're just coparents and sort of friedns or domestic partners. I have almost no one in my actual life to talk to about this stuff and spend a lot of time wandering around hoping to be struck by lightning. really I'd like to blow it all up and start over.

anybody ever feel like this?

This is a really common feeling and most just can't admit it. Wiff nailed it, quiet desperation. Get a guy talking honestly and he will say all he wants is to bail and go have fun with the friends he used to have but doesn't hang out with anymore.
  • Like 2

The job part doesn't sound so bad, there is a market for those, and you didn't vow to stay with it.

The marriage...don't like, as in, now that you know her, you realize you don't like who she is fundamentally? Or you're not enjoying each other anymore?

What a bunch of Debbie downers you are.

I love life. Love my wife. Love my kids. AND have a good time. Job yeah I would probably quit if I hit Mega. Otherwise love my job too.

Love what you are man. Enjoy life fockers.

I think this is all sadly common. Between work and parenting and marriage, there just isn't anything of you left anymore.

Women seem especially bad about it. Once they become mommy, it seems like there isn't room in their life to be wife or friend to her husband anymore.

I got no answer for you. There is no easy solution. But if you are truly miserable, you can't live like that forever. You'll end up being a miserable father too.

/thread :lol:

That was a quality post.

I love life. Love my wife. Love my kids. AND have a good time. Job yeah I would probably quit if I hit Mega. Otherwise love my job too.

Booze is a hell of a drug

That was a quality post.

He wasn't nominated Geek of the Year a few times for nothing :banana:

I think there is a certain amount of validity to it being a state of mind. We American men are kind of bad at being content and doing a daily grind I think. Women seem to be much more suited to it. We seem to want more excitement in our lives.

I'm really trying to turn off a lot of that hyper critical negative thinking I was trained with. Accept what you cannot change. Patience and such. Appreciate the little things.

It doesn't come easy to me, and is a daily struggle though. We are raised and taught to be problem identifiers and solvers. But it makes us miserable sometimes.

I think there is a certain amount of validity to it being a state of mind. We American men are kind of bad at being content and doing a daily grind I think. Women seem to be much more suited to it. We seem to want more excitement in our lives.

I'm really trying to turn off a lot of that hyper critical negative thinking I was trained with. Accept what you cannot change. Patience and such. Appreciate the little things.

It doesn't come easy to me, and is a daily struggle though. We are raised and taught to be problem identifiers and solvers. But it makes us miserable sometimes.

I don't know if American women are better at truly being content doing a daily grind than American men are, but women (at least American women, and seems like others) seem to feel like they should go with the flow more.

Side note: Millennial women are apparently burning out at a significantly higher rate than millennial men.

I think the idea that there were off limits professions (which may have been a little more propaganda than truth, to the extent we have this historical narrative today) made young women want to see a progressive world, but traditional roles - if the woman's role isn't caricatured as brainless and servile, actually make for happier people on average. Women still made interesting contributions, and there were some pathways if you (male or female) had what it took, when women weren't a huge part of the workforce. I don't think you were SOL if a young single woman, or even a young married woman with curiosity about a certain industry, in other words.

I don't know if American women are better at truly being content doing a daily grind than American men are, but women (at least American women, and seems like others) seem to feel more like they should go with the flow.

Side note: Millennial women are apparently burning out at a significantly higher rate than millennial men.

I think the idea that there were off limits professions (which may have been a little more propaganda than truth) made young women want to see a progressive world, but traditional roles - if the woman's role isn't caricatured as brainless and servile, actually make for happier people on average.

I think it basically is that women are biologically hard wired to crave security. The nest. That is why they hook up with old rich men.

American women have become kind of strange I think. On the one hand, they insist they are equal. However, that is bullsh!t. When the chips are down, when there is a true make or break situation, they expect the man to step up and deliver. Every time. They think equal means equal rights. They aren't interested in equal responsibility for the most part.

I finally just stopped even trying to discuss financial matters with my ex wife. All she did was worry herself sick, and nag me to death. And at the end of the day, it was my problem to solve anyway. So I just started doing it and not worrying her with it. Which eventually made me feel alone, and like "why the Fock is she even here anyway?"

I think you're right. So many American women feel obligated to be "equal" and career women and all that... but they don't really like it, and would prefer a traditional role. Unfortunately, our economic system now makes that impossible for most couples.

I think it basically is that women are biologically hard wired to crave security. The nest. That is why they hook up with old rich men.

American women have become kind of strange I think. On the one hand, they insist they are equal. However, that is bullsh!t. When the chips are down, when there is a true make or break situation, they expect the man to step up and deliver. Every time. They think equal means equal rights. They aren't interested in equal responsibility for the most part.

I finally just stopped even trying to discuss financial matters with my ex wife. All she did was worry herself sick, and nag me to death. And at the end of the day, it was my problem to solve anyway. So I just started doing it and not worrying her with it. Which eventually made me feel alone, and like "why the Fock is she even here anyway?"

I think you're right. So many American women feel obligated to be "equal" and career women and all that... but they don't really like it, and would prefer a traditional role. Unfortunately, our economic system now makes that impossible for most couples.

The word "equal" seems to lack a discernible meaning in the way it's used these days. A statement like "all men are created equal" was not meant to say all men are alike unto each other. Despite differences, human life in general has inherent value. Recognizing that there's variance in suitability for roles among people does not detract from the inherent value of individual human life.

If equality meant 'access' if you're suited for something, then I understand the want for equality. Otherwise the word is a tool used by shiesters.

:nono:

You fockers stop making jokes about coming to China. I've been telling you all for 16 years how good it is over here. Finally two years ago I convinced one of you dupes to try it yourself and now there's two of us sold on it.

Look at these hot chicks we're marrying!

Who's the happiest focker here? That's right! Me!

You just have to get use to not enjoying dinner.

Seriously though, tj, you've got to find happiness somewhere. Your job sucks and you're kind of are stuck in your boring life for your kid's sake. The easiest thing to remedy is the lack friends part. There's got to be something you like, some hobby, something. I'd find others nearby that like doing that too and go doing that with them. If you've got no hobby, I'd recommend looking for one.

Find satisfaction there and maybe it'll relieve some of the depression going on elsewhere.

:nono:

You fockers stop making jokes about coming to China. I've been telling you all for 16 years how good it is over here. Finally two years ago I convinced one of you dupes to try it yourself and now there's two of us sold on it.

Look at these hot chicks we're marrying!

Who's the happiest focker here? That's right! Me!

You just have to get use to not enjoying dinner.

Seriously though, tj, you've got to find happiness somewhere. Your job sucks and you're kind of are stuck in your boring life for your kid's sake. The easiest thing to remedy is the lack friends part. There's got to be something you like, some hobby, something. I'd find others nearby that like doing that too and go doing that with them. If you've got no hobby, I'd recommend looking for one.

Find satisfaction there and maybe it'll relieve some of the depression going on elsewhere.

Yeah. You gotta have something that's just for you. I tend to be more selfish than most in that regard. I don't want constant, 24/7 obligation. That's the main reason I don't want kids.

Try finding a hobby or something. See if that helps. If not, find a job you like better.

When I came here, teaching was just a way to fund my liquor and hooker habit. But I have found that I really enjoy it. It's nice to work for something that isn't just about money. I like seeing the kids progress and enjoy themselves. Makes me more motivated to put good lessons together.

Now yeah, If I hit the lottery, I could find better things to do. But at least I don't hate going to work anymore. In America, about three o'clock every Sunday, the dread would creep in.

Booze is a hell of a drug

Life is my drug.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Wrong. You may but not most of us.

This. It's not that hard to do.