Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Toys R Us to close doors

You didnt want to grow up...but if you did, you wouldnt be a toys r us kid?

I told my 7 year old daughter the news about an hour ago....she teared up a little bit, and asked if she could text her uncle so he can warn her cousins (ages 7, 6, and 4)

I told my 7 year old daughter the news about an hour ago....she teared up a little bit, and asked if she could text her uncle so he can warn her cousins (ages 7, 6, and 4)

That's pretty cute. :thumbsup:

Thanks Trump.

And there it is. First d-bag to follow the rules and make it political

And there it is. First d-bag to follow the rules and make it political

:first:

We have 100 dollars in gift cards, from parents to our kids. We better go this weekend.

I vividly remember as a little kid a toy store called Playworld burning down. It was about 6 blocks away and went there all the time.

Was as bad as loosing my grandfather. Orbmy first pet dog.

We have 100 dollars in gift cards, from parents to our kids. We better go this weekend.

When I was young I had a $100 gift card there. However, after a year it apparently gets charged and you start losing money from it when you dont use it. So when I called to check the balance (I was like 10 say the time) it ended up being $0. Was so pissed

If they are open, they are. The problem might be finding one. Don't wait.

Theyll probably be out of merchandise too. You dont ship more stuff to a closing store :dunno:

I will take my daughter to one after work tomorrow and report back.

Man... Maybe it's weird or sentimental of my own childhood but I almost feel like I need to take my daughter before it closes. There was always something exciting about getting taken to the toy store as a kid.

Won't be long - only places to shop:

Amazon

Wal Mart

Convenient store

Grocery store

Won't be long - only places to shop:

Amazon

Wal Mart

Convenient store

Grocery store

Thats pretty much how I roll here. I buy almost everything online. Pick the sh!t up at the smart box when I get home. Other than grocery and convenience stores, I never go to real stores.

Thats pretty much how I roll here. I buy almost everything online. Pick the sh!t up at the smart box when I get home. Other than grocery and convenience stores, I never go to real stores.

Nope. Me either. We needed new garage door openers so I went to Lowe's to check them out. And they wanted twice what I could find them for online. And I had about 20 other options off of Amazon as in the store.

It's not a fair fight anymore.

yeah, i went to a few toy r us locations before x-mas looking for a gift for my 2 year old niece (too late to order something a risk the shipping time), i couldn't belive how much they changed. I chalked part of it up to the mad rush of the holiday season but all i kept thinking was wow this place is a shiithole. granted I had not been inside one since I was buying GI Joes and Ninja Turtle figures (so like 3 years ago), but it seemed so small and pathetic, just a hodgepodge of crap. used to feel like a huge place with tons and tons of aisles with hours of toys to look at.

Nope. Me either. We needed new garage door openers so I went to Lowe's to check them out. And they wanted twice what I could find them for online. And I had about 20 other options off of Amazon as in the store.

It's not a fair fight anymore.

Amazon now has a local associates program where local merchants list products for sale and offer expertise in their category.

If used correctly, certain local specialty stores will be able to leverage Amazons power over the internet to beat the big boxes in some categories.

Ive just now gotten started with it and am encouraged by what I see so far. Im starting with a private label line of porcelain tile that I can promote at a value price. Ill follow that with a more forward looking line of concrete tile at a much higher average price point. Ill be able to drop ship both lines anywhere in the US.

Amazons acquisition of Whole Foods was a clear signal that the king of online retailing believes certain brick and mortar specialty retailers are still viable.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Amazon now has a local associates program where local merchants list products for sale and offer expertise in their category.

If used correctly, certain local specialty stores will be able to leverage Amazons power over the internet to beat the big boxes in some categories.

Ive just now gotten started with it and am encouraged by what I see so far. Im starting with a private label line of porcelain tile that I can promote at a value price. Ill follow that with a more forward looking line of concrete tile at a much higher average price point. Ill be able to drop ship both lines anywhere in the US.

Amazons acquisition of Whole Foods was a clear signal that the king of online retailing believes certain brick and mortar specialty retailers are still viable.

Stay tuned.

I am very interested in this.

I would like to see how amazon effects you to be honest. I hear about the free shipping with prime and such. I'm always looking to get away from working for someone and do it myself. I don't want your idea. Just how you like it. Whats good and bad. Feel free to give a review. I'd love to hear it anytime.

do we have a date, I would love to go spend about 10k on sales

get my son a bunch of stuff for the next 10 xmas's

maybe a Trampoline this year, Basketball Hoop, BMX bikes, PS4 man this could be fun

when Fresh and Easy went out of business near us, we loaded up a uhaul of pallets of water (35 packs for 1.00) tons of canned goods and non perishables that lasted us well over 3 years. We still haven't used it all up, calculated that I would have spent about 4k, and we got everything for like 800

• Like 1

I would like to see how amazon effects you to be honest. I hear about the free shipping with prime and such. I'm always looking to get away from working for someone and do it myself. I don't want your idea. Just how you like it. Whats good and bad. Feel free to give a review. I'd love to hear it anytime.

Realistically, it will be at least a year before I can assess its success or failure.

I do well now without partnering up with Amazon. But, I cans see the future of retail evolving.

Theres a certain price point in my biz at which people still feel compelled to actually see and touch the product in person.

Add that to the fact that 75% of online shoppers say that a category expert would be helpful in making online product selections.

So it works like this:

A guy near me in Michigan goes to Amazon and searches for tile, my Amazon Page comes up showing whatever products Ive decided to show there. He can contact me directly and purchase thru Amazon. Amazon gets a commission just like any other sales rep of mine would get commission.

Hard to see a downside unless Amazon eventuallly gets too greedy and wants a bigger cut.

Once hes made contact, I can also sell him our installation services, which can also be purchased thru Amazon. Amazon requires all service providers to be background checked.

The client is assured a quality installation from a local guy, backed by Amazon.

Very nice. I have literally no idea what I could make money off of but like I said. I'm interested and happy to hear how it works from someone who is doing it. Reviews can be faked.

Very nice. I have literally no idea what I could make money off of but like I said. I'm interested and happy to hear how it works from someone who is doing it. Reviews can be faked.

I have an Amazon business in place ready to go...just waiting for something to become unclassified as a class 1 substance

That is a major marker of where we are heading down the road. I saw it coming ten + years ago. When I was a kid, you paroused the aisles and picked out your toys you wanted. Catalogues first changed that. Shopped at Toys R Us, you got one. Kids circled what They wanted from Santa. Now it's Amazon on line. Brilliant strategy keeping up with technology. But it takes away the one on one experience in my opinion. As are many others.