Sign in to follow this  
Mungwater

Astrodome

The county just approved $107 million to raise the floor and make a parking garage. Im just sick of that damn building, it isnt as iconic as people around here think. Wouldnt that money go to better causes to help the flooding and people still dealing with the bullshit of Harvey.

Im just curious to what you guys think, given you guys are all over the country, about this thing. People around here act like its the fvcking coleseum or some important historical building.

If they could blow up old Cowboys Stadium, they sure and heck could level that place and make better use of the space/funds.

If they could blow up old Cowboys Stadium, they sure and heck could level that place and make better use of the space/funds.

I get your point, but its better to use an actual historic stadium like yankee

I would have thought it was already torn down. :dunno:

The building is ugly and it is in a terrible spot relative to the major roads to make a decent parking garage.

An article I just saw said itll add 1400 parking spots, 105 mil for 1400 spots is 75K a piece.

Well its not 105m to build a lot....its tearing down an old building THEN building the lot...which im sure they will charge for. Not much maintenence on parking garages.....guessing they make that money up fairly easily.

Well its not 105m to build a lot....its tearing down an old building THEN building the lot...which im sure they will charge for. Not much maintenence on parking garages.....guessing they make that money up fairly easily.

Theyre going to be raising the floor, the building will still be there. There is parking out the yazoo down there

An article I just saw said itll add 1400 parking spots, 105 mil for 1400 spots is 75K a piece.

Multi-level? Something's not adding up.

Why do they need to raise the floor?

Because it's cheaper than lowering the sky.

No, part of the reason that building is still around is because a huge chunk of it is literally underground. It's not a matter of a simple implosion.

Anything they can do to even come close to making that site revenue-neutral would be good. I don't know if mungs article talks about the average annual expense of just keeping that shithole from getting worse and worse is discussed.

They had a Wally World just blocks away across the highway is shut down to. I agree, short of the rodeo and Super Bowls, I don't know that we need that much parking.

Well, for the article, it's not just a parking lot then. Yeah they're going to raise the bottom floor to allow for underground parking but the article clearly says a couple of times that they're going to leave the building as a convention and event space.

The way you write it, it's all that money a hundred million dollars for 1400 parking spaces. And that's not it at all.

This makes more sense. You don't want to take any surface parking away from the football stadium or other venues so you have underground parking at the Astrodome. Which has its own flooding issues but that's another story.

And you spend part of that money renovating the damn place so that you can hold conventions and other things in the existing facility. Far from just a 1400 space surface lot for $100m.

Astrodome...What a great place for a ghey conference center.

Because it's cheaper than lowering the sky.

No, part of the reason that building is still around is because a huge chunk of it is literally underground. It's not a matter of a simple implosion.

Anything they can do to even come close to making that site revenue-neutral would be good. I don't know if mungs article talks about the average annual expense of just keeping that shithole from getting worse and worse is discussed.

They had a Wally World just blocks away across the highway is shut down to. I agree, short of the rodeo and Super Bowls, I don't know that we need that much parking.

Asbestos was also a huge reason they couldn't implode as I recall.

If they are running shuttles or something to the med center it makes sense. The med center parking makes the parking space in the heights and mid town look excessive.

Asbestos was also a huge reason they couldn't implode as I recall.

If they are running shuttles or something to the med center it makes sense. The med center parking makes the parking space in the heights and mid town look excessive.

Excellent points.

Indoor multi-level driving range like the Japanese have. The fact that it's a circle would really give some incentive for some long ass drives.

The county just approved $107 million to raise the floor and make a parking garage. Im just sick of that damn building, it isnt as iconic as people around here think. Wouldnt that money go to better causes to help the flooding and people still dealing with the bullshit of Harvey.

Im just curious to what you guys think, given you guys are all over the country, about this thing. People around here act like its the fvcking coleseum or some important historical building.

When it was built, it was called the eighth wonder of the world. Houstinians loved that building. A few years later we built the Super Dome in New Orleans and it dwarfed it.

Saw many concerts in the Astrodome in the 80's. Ozzy and Rush. It's an iconic building. The rodeo and other venues were staged there. I get it. But you're right, let it go. Just like Astroworld. Move on.

I was lucky enough to do the tour there. Holy crap, I definitely know why they called it the House of Pain. Thin ass plastic Turf on Plain concrete. that would hurt to get tackled on.

Many people don't realize that the ceiling lights were originally clear instead of opaque. That's creating a massive magnifying glass and killing off all the real Turf that they had originally.

You think somebody might be able to do a really small mock-up model before committing to the entire project like that.

When it was built, it was called the eighth wonder of the world. Houstinians loved that building. A few years later we built the Super Dome in New Orleans and it dwarfed it.

Saw many concerts in the Astrodome in the 80's. Ozzy and Rush. It's an iconic building. The rodeo and other venues were staged there. I get it. But you're right, let it go. Just like Astroworld. Move on.

:thumbsup:

It is also time for the Super Dome to go. That place has also become a sh!t hole.

:thumbsup:

It is also time for the Super Dome to go. That place has also become a sh!t hole.

I don't know, I think they got it right with Katrina. Just shove all the 9th Ward zombies in there and close the door.

It's just retarded. Unless they charge $100 to park, it's just a waste of money.

It's just ###### retarded. Unless they charge $100 to park, it's just a waste of money.

:shocking: Holy Crap a Jetdoc sighting!