Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Darren McFadden to sign with Cowboys

The draft is over and Dallas did not draft a RB. Now what?

cruzer's personal crying game starts now

Reading back through this thread and laughing... Dallas never intended to re-sign Murray. The fact Romo restructured AFTER Murray signed with Philly proves it. What a facade.

I think they wanted All Day the whole time, and Jerry's announcement today that he'd part with a #1 lends credit to that belief.

Reading back through this thread and laughing... Dallas never intended to re-sign Murray. The fact Romo restructured AFTER Murray signed with Philly proves it. What a facade.

I think they wanted All Day the whole time, and Jerry's announcement today that he'd part with a #1 lends credit to that belief.

everything is finally coming into focus

They get Peterson and they're NFC favorites. That makes Philly and the Giants afterthoughts.

They trot those four clowns out in any sort of committee and it's the first two games of 1993 all over again.

Someone will have gaping holes to run through in that offense

It will start out as McFadden who will quickly be injured or ineffective and then will be replaced by Randle who will thrive. Dunbar and Williams don't even exist.

It will start out as McFadden who will quickly be injured or ineffective and then will be replaced by Randle who will thrive. Dunbar and Williams don't even exist.

Ha ha ha... Back in Wayne Gretzky's early days in LA, the Kings would trot an assortment of stiffs and plumbers out as wingers on his line. The Great One would routinely lay beautiful passes on the sticks of these goons as they tripped over the blue line, passes King announcer Bob Miller used to refer as "pearls before swine..."

This current Plow Horse By Committee in Dallas is pearls before swine, especially The Underwear Thief and his blazing 4.60 forty speed. This whole business right now with a RBBC is just a smokescreen, to take the spotlight off their dire need for a true NFL running back with game breaking skills. Oh sure, the backfield they currently field MIGHT win them the NFC East and get them into the playoffs. But they'll need a legit NFL running back to produce big plays in big games, and get them a super bowl.

I've hammered Clownie plenty on this forum, but right now he gets it, and is asking himself whether next year's #1 is worth a super bowl game for his Cowboys. Because with Peterson, they're favorites.

• Like 1

Agree

I also agree that this is the most likely outcome. The question is at what point does taking McFadden and then reaching to take Randle early to lock down the Cowboys backfield? I think whoever is the starting RB in Dallas is at minimum a high RB2 each week with RB1 upside.

They'll make a move, and that back will go #1 overall.

if they don't, when do you draft dmc or randle?

That's if dmc even wins the starting job . Go back and look at the Raiders team rushing stats and look at DMC yards per carry , and compare them to the other Rb that where also on the Raiders . Right now because he is on the Cowboys I think he is being ranked to high . I think Randle is the better player .

That's if dmc even wins the starting job . Go back and look at the Raiders team rushing stats and look at DMC yards per carry , and compare them to the other Rb that where also on the Raiders . Right now because he is on the Cowboys I think he is being ranked to high . I think Randle is the better player .

No. Latavius Murray eclipsed McFragile easily with his power and speed. And Murray hasn't really figured it out yet. He will.

Randle is a scrub. He's not a power back, yet he's slower than one. I think Jones is on some sort of epiphany, where he wants to prove something with a fellow alum. I just honestly don't know how much McFadden has left in the tank, nor if he has truly lost a step.

Running behind Oakland's line, in that offense with a rookie QB, anybody would look bad. Barring injury he's a 1,000 yard rusher in Dallas easily. But he won't get you past Seattle and Green Bay in the playoffs. You'll need more juice than that.

No. Latavius Murray eclipsed McFragile easily with his power and speed. And Murray hasn't really figured it out yet. He will.

Randle is a scrub. He's not a power back, yet he's slower than one. I think Jones is on some sort of epiphany, where he wants to prove something with a fellow alum. I just honestly don't know how much McFadden has left in the tank, nor if he has truly lost a step.

Running behind Oakland's line, in that offense with a rookie QB, anybody would look bad. Barring injury he's a 1,000 yard rusher in Dallas easily. But he won't get you past Seattle and Green Bay in the playoffs. You'll need more juice than that.

Agree McFadden is not the player he once was and won't change with Cowboys . Randle will be the rb to own .

It's not that Dallas never intended to resign Murray - it's that they never intended to overpay for Murray. And they were dead clear on that from day 1. I'm still happy Stephen stuck to his guns and did not pay something similar to what Philly did.

cruzer's personal crying game starts now

Nope - been on vacaction.

And no crying here - why would I? We not only still have the best offensive line in the game, but we added some huge, incredibly talented players in the draft to bolster it.. I will admit to being surprised though - I did NOT expect to not draft a RB at all. Still scratching my head over that one. Especially in the 3rd - I would of bet the farm we would of taken one there after striking gold on our first 2 picks.

It's not that Dallas never intended to resign Murray - it's that they never intended to overpay for Murray. And they were dead clear on that from day 1. I'm still happy Stephen stuck to his guns and did not pay something similar to what Philly did.

Like they overpaid for Joey Galloway, and Roy Williams, and Brandon Carr, and even Romo? Re-signing Murray makes them an automatic super bowl contender, something Jones would have gladly overpaid to see. That won't be possible with this current stable of scrubs. It will be games 1 and 2 of 1993 all over again.

I think the intent is Peterson all along, with McFadden backing him up to get his fellow Razorback alum a shot at a title. Your 2016 number one is as good as gone.

With Peterson, this team is Michael Jackson. With Joseph Randle, it's Tito. Big difference, and one which won't get you by Seattle and GB.

By the way absolutely LOVE the moves Jones has made this offseason, to include his draft. He may actually deserve that Exec of the Year in 2015.

By the way absolutely LOVE the moves Jones has made this offseason, to include his draft. He may actually deserve that Exec of the Year in 2015.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. It has been a very good offseason here - and outside of the 3rd round pick, I loved our draft. To get the CB we wanted, have Gregory fall to 60, and pick up L. Collins? Pfft - homerun... I was surprised we did not draft a RB though - especially in Round 3... But like you suspect - maybe the plan is to land AP all along.

I have a little voice in the back of my head that says to not sleep on mcfadden if they give him any kind of big role. Remember he was a raider, among the worst organizations in sports. He could do a Murray impression with the natural talent he has. It may not be likely, but its not as far fetched as some would think.

McFadden played with the Raiders and the other Raiders RB where better than he was . His yard per rush is awful . Behind this Cowboys line he should be able to be better and he should be , but I think Randle will be the better upside

Draft-wise I liked the Green pick, as again it showed they're willing to build on strength. As for runners, I liked the kid from Michigan State, Jeremy Langford, going to them in the mid rounds. He has size, 6'0" 210, and was the fastest back at the combine with a 4.40 forty time. But Round 3 was probably too high for him. By the time the pick came back at the bottom of Round 4 Langford was gone to the Bears.

Randle will be the first guy cut when they bring in All Day, just going on what I've heard radio-wise from the sports talk radio 'experts.' The team is souring on the Underwear Thief, and my opinion is he's being talked up as a smokescreen lest the team seem desperate. He's really not that good anyhow. His 4.6 40 speed was hidden last season by the gaping holes he ran through, and from defenses reeling after the battering Murray gave them. He's not the answer to their question, which is, what running back will power Dallas by Seattle in the playoffs? But fantasy is all about the moment, so I see the love.

I think Jones actually had a Manziel moment when he signed McFragile, thinking he could resurrect the former Razorback's career and make himself look like a genius meanwhile. McFadden is done as a feature back, but the thing is Jones HAS been a genius. I really like the Greg Hardy signing, that solved an IMMENSE need if they can sign him long term. Pulling the trigger on Gregory was not easy, given the Cowboys reputation with trouble. Bold move. And he had Collins lined up like a 20 foot putt, using his contacts with Les Miles, and his Johnny Walker Black salesmanship. The word in the Cowboy War Room was they feared a team taking him in Round 3, which is exactly what I wanted the Raiders to do. And it took discipline for them not to burn a draft pick on him. But Jones lined that up perfectly. Wow, a dinner at the Jones Ponderosa with the kid's mom, Romo, Witten, and the three pro bowlers off the line. I thought Collins had grown up a Cowboys fan, but later he'd said he didn't have a favorite team. In fact, whoever DRAFTED him would be his favorite team. Hes' at Valley Ranch because of Jerry Jones, period. I've killed the guy plenty, no pun intended, but what a brilliant move.

The Collins signing was HUGE, freaking huge. Right Tackle was actually a position of need, given Free's injury history. Collins will play there some in 2014 most definitely, and will be their RT of the future. I'm not sure he'll take LG immediately, as this no doubt will light a fire under Leary's ass and he was playing at a significant level already. Most importantly, look at the DEPTH on this line. How many times have Giants fans seen their offense degenerate into a chinese fire drill because Opie is scrambling behind third string linemen due to injury?

What a kick in the absolute balls to the Giants, Redskins, and even the Eagles (in an inconsequential way.) BOTH the Skins and Giants sent messages by drafting linemen in the first, especially Washington with Scherf. And now Dallas may end up with the best of the entire lot for chump change (I have Collins going #9 to the Giants without this murder crap.) Washington is going to try Scherf at tackle, which is a mistake, and Flowers is not as versatile, nor as technically proficient in pass blocking as Collins. This beads for Manhattan deal is an absolute kick in the balls to the rest of the NFC East.

But right now, as good as they've done, Dallas is an incomplete team. This is Emmit holding out in 1993, and they need to get a true NFL RB in that backfield. Windows open AND close in a hurry, as I am sure Jerry Jones well knows.

I've heard Collins himself say on a clip shown on NFL Network that he was a Cowboys fan.

But right now, as good as they've done, Dallas is an incomplete team. This is Emmit holding out in 1993, and they need to get a true NFL RB in that backfield. Windows open AND close in a hurry, as I am sure Jerry Jones well knows.

they're a hell of a lot more complete than last season, though, and they have much better odds of making the big game. last year was a fluke in terms of keeping murray upright for a full season (only his second full season since graduating high school). had he gone down at any point, DAL was done. the team structure appears much more robust now.

what is really going to matter is run success rate, not just YPC. garrett is huge on RBs who win 'dirty runs', and this is going to be a vital stat.

they're a hell of a lot more complete than last season...

No kidding - agreed... Yes we lost Murray, but look what we've gained:

* starting CB

* Sean Lee

* pass rushing monsters in Greg Hardy & Randy Gregory

* L. Collins and Chaz Green on the offensive line

* And you still have McFadden and Randle (who averaged 7 ypc past year) on the roster - with room to maybe go and get AP still

No kidding - agreed... Yes we lost Murray, but look what we've gained:

* starting CB

* Sean Lee

* pass rushing monsters in Greg Hardy & Randy Gregory

* L. Collins and Chaz Green on the offensive line

* And you still have McFadden and Randle (who averaged 7 ypc past year) on the roster - with room to maybe go and get AP still

I thought they'd move Jones to safety then just keep him on the field as a nickel corner. With a pass rush maybe Claiborne and Carr become different players.

Glad you're looking at Hardy long term. They have an excellent chance of re-signing him plus the stretch run.

i believe they intend to leave jones at corner for the time being. CB is a higher demand position, and DAL's depth is pretty bad. carr's salary makes this his last season, claiborne is a UFA after this season, and the only other guys with experience are scandrick and patmon (who is very raw). on the S side, church is very solid, and wilcox has flashed--this will be the make-or-break season for the latter.

add the that, the scheme calls for CB play over S play, and it looks like CB is the right position for jones at this point.

I thought they'd move Jones to safety then just keep him on the field as a nickel corner. With a pass rush maybe Claiborne and Carr become different players.

Glad you're looking at Hardy long term. They have an excellent chance of re-signing him plus the stretch run.

Yea - there is a chance of Jones going to safety. I guess a lot depends on whether or not Carr agrees to a pay cut. There is about a 50/50 chance now we release him and take the hit... We also basically gain a new player in Demarcus Lawrence. He missed most of his rookie year last year due to injury - we will now have Gregory, Hardy, Lawrence and Crawford all rotating in and out of the end position - very excited about that.

Yea - there is a chance of Jones going to safety. I guess a lot depends on whether or not Carr agrees to a pay cut. There is about a 50/50 chance now we release him and take the hit... We also basically gain a new player in Demarcus Lawrence. He missed most of his rookie year last year due to injury - we will now have Gregory, Hardy, Lawrence and Crawford all rotating in and out of the end position - very excited about that.

I know he did not gather a lot of interceptions, but I actually like the way Brandon Carr played down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. Again, I think he will really benefit from an improved pass rush.

Cowboys beat writer Todd Archer is on the Joseph Randle bandwagon.......thinks he will be the lead dog. He has him pegged for 1200 yards this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4742288/cowboys-twitter-mailbag-part-1-29

I like Randle, he is explosive and surprisingly not small. The dude is 6' and 210 lb.s - never realized it......... But he puts the ball on the ground - a lot. Scares the hell out of me.

I just can't get my head around the underwear thief pulling out 1200 this year. That guy was going to get cut before they couldn't lowball Murray...

i don't disagree, but it's hard to imagine how he survived the underwear incident (especially the booking room video) if the FO didn't see something they wanted. especially since they had williams waiting in the wings.

and jerry specifically said that they didn't draft a RB because they never saw anyone on the board at their draft position who would "beat out mcfadden".

honestly, i think randle either goes into game 1 as the starter, or on another team.

• Like 1

Just a good thing Randle did not let any air out of The football , now that would be a really big deal .

Truthfully I'd roll with McFragile over The Underwear Guy. Even washed up he's probably still faster than him.

Randle or Williams will be the redraft pick. Everyone will over-buy McFragile because of name recognition and what Murray did behind that o-line last year. I like guys you can get late that could still blow up. One of those three will be gold.

Randle or Williams will be the redraft pick. Everyone will over-buy McFragile because of name recognition and what Murray did behind that o-line last year. I like guys you can get late that could still blow up. One of those three will be gold.

Agree , his stock is way to high .