Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

Extra points will now be kicked from the 15yd line.

Dumb. Moving it back to the 15 still gives like a 96% chance of making it.

If they'd really wanted a change, they should have moved it up to the 1. No difference when kicking the PAT, but would have motivated teams to try for 2 more often.

Lame. I guess no more option to fake a PAT and get a 2 pointer. Admittedly, that was a very rare thing, but it will be a lot harder now (assuming they are allowed to do so from the 15 on a PAT).

I hear the eagles will be going for 2 every time this year with their new secret weapon....TEBOW

Lame. I guess no more option to fake a PAT and get a 2 pointer. Admittedly, that was a very rare thing, but it will be a lot harder now (assuming they are allowed to do so from the 15 on a PAT).

I don't think I've ever seen this.

Can you still do the Doug Flutie Drop kick?

Yes. But it has to be from the 15. Which essentially means that Flutie was the final person we'll ever see attempt and successfully convert a drop kick. Barring multiple penalties by the defense to get at normal drop kick range.

I bet there are a lot more QB kneels in late game situations for teams in the lead. Imagine your up by 3 after the touchdown why take a risk and give the other team a chance to score 2?

• Like 2

I bet there are a lot more QB kneels in late game situations for teams in the lead. Imagine your up by 3 after the touchdown why take a risk and give the other team a chance to score 2?

Go for two

• Like 1

Go for two

His point is that a 32 yard field goal attempt or a goal line play from the two now has the chance to backfire without any time coming off the clock.

I guarantee a coach like Belichick will do this at some point in the season. Particularly if there's inclimate weather.

An example:

If a team scores a touchdown and is up by four with 30 seconds left in the game.

You can kick the extra point and go up by five
You can go for two to go up by 6

Either one of these scenarios still has you trail if the opposing team scores a touchdown if you convert.

BUT: If you botch the snap, or fumble the ball, or throw an interception and the other team runs it back, now you're up by 2, there's 30 seconds left, and a field goal could win the game for the other team.

An example:

If a team scores a touchdown and is up by four with 30 seconds left in the game.

Either one of these scenarios still has you trail if the opposing team scores a touchdown if you convert.

BUT: If you botch the snap, or fumble the ball, or throw an interception and the other team runs it back, now you're up by 2, there's 30 seconds left, and a field goal could win the game for the other team.

It's a interesting change to the game . I like the new system .

It's a interesting change to the game . I like the new system .

I don't understand for the life of me why the NFL hasn't allowed the defensive teams to be able to score on those conversions in the past. The reason people dog it on those is because there's no incentive for the defense (for the most part). I love it

I just got a feeling once a team loses a big game because they didn't kneel it will become the custom to take a knee.

An example:

Your post is giving me flashbacks.

This sounds like the exact sort of boneheaded scenario the anti-clutch Scott Mitchell would have discovered when he was unearthing every jawdropping method possible in order to snatch late 4th quarter defeat from the jaws of victory during the Barry years.

Seriously? Every NFL team will kick it every time.

It has a 96% success rate. You kneel and you give the team a chance to tie it up. Going for 2 has less of a success rate.

You kick the PAT no question about it and go up by 4.

His point is that a 32 yard field goal attempt or a goal line play from the two now has the chance to backfire without any time coming off the clock.

I guarantee a coach like Belichick will do this at some point in the season. Particularly if there's inclimate weather.

Ok, if there's inclimate weather then they won't kick a PAT. But who the hell would choose to take 0 points there?

If anything they'd go for 2. A safe run up the middle or some kind of spread offense/qb sneak, but no way do you just forfeit a chance for extra point(s).

Ok, if there's inclimate weather then they won't kick a PAT. But who the hell would choose to take 0 points there?

If anything they'd go for 2. A safe run up the middle or some kind of spread offense/qb sneak, but no way do you just forfeit a chance for extra point(s).

Agree , why would you just flop .

Read the rule change. It states if the defense returns a PAT or 2-point conversion for a touchdown then they will get awarded 2 points now.

Giraldi02 provided a good example of why teams may choose to kneel on it.

Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5gp0uKHdvA8

Read the rule change. It states if the defense returns a PAT or 2-point conversion for a touchdown then they will get awarded 2 points now.

Giraldi02 provided a good example of why teams may choose to kneel on it.

How many times does a team return 90 plus yard fumbles or ints all the way , I would say not to many . Naw I would go for the two . And I think you will see it more often this season . Now going for the extra point I would not do , that would seem to have a lot more chance of being return for the two points . So put into that position I would go for the two pointer and pass on the exp . Thank you

Going for the two but I would pass on the extra point att . Can't wait to see how it plays out , I like the rule change .

Going for the two but I would pass on the extra point att .

Funny thing actually that seemingly gets zero coverage:

The team kicking the PAT can now line up on the left or right hashmarks with this rule change. Could make for a team that does something sneaky with their formation (again, hello Belichick)

Funny thing actually that seemingly gets zero coverage:

The team kicking the PAT can now line up on the left or right hashmarks with this rule change. Could make for a team that does something sneaky with their formation (again, hello Belichick)

It sure is going to make watching the extra point late in the game more exciting . Can't wait to see what happens when this comes up , I'm sure everyone one will have their own plan .