Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Doug Orth's NFL Draft Player Profiles: UPDATE - TE Evan Engram

The pounder, early-down workhorse, the man with two upper case letters in his first name... - RB D'Onta Foreman

The biggest dilemma with this kid is his pass blocking. I've read varying reports, including one by Pro Football Focus that claims he's the best blocking RB in the draft, having given up the lowest percentage of pressures per pass snap. But then he's failed the eye test at times.

More worried about this than his lack of proclivity in the receiving game. Even LT only caught 10 passes his senior year at TCU. The fumbles may have been an after effect of his broken hand.

LOVE Foreman's combination of size and speed, though your playing speed comment causes raised brows definitely.

The biggest dilemma with this kid is his pass blocking. I've read varying reports, including one by Pro Football Focus that claims he's the best blocking RB in the draft, having given up the lowest percentage of pressures per pass snap. But then he's failed the eye test at times.

More worried about this than his lack of proclivity in the receiving game. Even LT only caught 10 passes his senior year at TCU. The fumbles may have been an after effect of his broken hand.

LOVE Foreman's combination of size and speed, though your playing speed comment causes raised brows definitely.

See, this is where PFF's graders concern me and why I don't put all my faith into them. I watched all 11 of his Draft Breakdown cut-ups and he is without question the worst blocking back I have observed so far in this class, if not multiple classes.

About the playing speed, it's like he's got enough speed to maintain the distance between him and the defender pursuing him, but he doesn't have that gear that allows him to pull away. I'm less concerned about him as a receiver; if I had to bet, his lack of use as a receiver had more to do with Texas' desire to save him for running plays. At least for part of the season, Texas was ripping off plays as fast as any of Chip Kelly's Oregon teams did back in the day.

See, this is where PFF's graders concern me and why I don't put all my faith into them. I watched all 11 of his Draft Breakdown cut-ups and he is without question the worst blocking back I have observed so far in this class, if not multiple classes.

About the playing speed, it's like he's got enough speed to maintain the distance between him and the defender pursuing him, but he doesn't have that gear that allows him to pull away. I'm less concerned about him as a receiver; if I had to bet, his lack of use as a receiver had more to do with Texas' desire to save him for running plays. At least for part of the season, Texas was ripping off plays as fast as any of Chip Kelly's Oregon teams did back in the day.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I mostly use PFF grades on offensive linemen, where their propensity to break down tape comes into play.

I think they mentioned Foreman's pressure-per-snap rate was among nation's highest. Yet he only was on the field for 73 pass blocking snaps.

I think what we have here is a pure runner with good size and speed, who has a possibility to develop into an adequate weapon in the passing game if needed.

Right now, in terms of the Raiders for instance, Foreman would be perfect as a hammer in the backfield as they have Richard and Washington as pass catchers.

D'Onta Foreman is my #5 RB behind the big four. I think he could have a Micheal Turner '08-'12 type career.

Right now, in terms of the Raiders for instance, Foreman would be perfect as a hammer in the backfield as they have Richard and Washington as pass catchers.

Could not agree more. Foreman could not be much more different than Richard/Washington. I have my doubts about whether Foreman can be more productive (this year or next) than Murray was in 2016.

D'Onta Foreman is my #5 RB behind the big four. I think he could have a Micheal Turner '08-'12 type career.

He's not a "Burner" like Turner, but it is possible behind a good OL with an offense committed to running the ball.

Doug, your writeup on Jones had me thinking of Jarvis Landry. Could this we be your top choice for ppr leagues out of this years WRs?

Doug, your writeup on Jones had me thinking of Jarvis Landry. Could this we be your top choice for ppr leagues out of this years WRs?

Landry is quicker, but the comparison isn't off-base. I think their PPR upside is probably similar. As always, QB/scheme is going to be the difference, but Jones has a decent shot to be the top rookie WR in PPR leagues.

I see Zay as more a Hines Ward than Landry as he isn't "twitch quick" like Landry is. Very landing dependent as far as ff value. I could see him being good in Cincy complimenting AJ Green (taking LaFells spot) or in Buf/LAR/SEA as a wr2.

I see Zay as more a Hines Ward than Landry as he isn't "twitch quick" like Landry is. Very landing dependent as far as ff value. I could see him being good in Cincy complimenting AJ Green (taking LaFells spot) or in Buf/LAR/SEA as a wr2.

Ward is a pretty good comp. Ward was obviously a very good receiver, but I am careful about comparing anyone to him in large part because he was such a good blocker. Laquon Treadwell is the only WR I've studied over the last few years who blew me away as a blocker. Otherwise, I do see a lot of Ward in Jones.