Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Does anyone win with RB's anymore?

Deangelo Williams, Duke Johnson, and Devonta Freeman were the common players on the championship teams in the couple of leagues I was in last year. Most were guys that were drafted in the middle to late rounds who just performed outstandingly.

I had 2 out of 3, as well as ARob, Landry, Green, Gronk, and my start QB Cousins

Middle round success as well as trades. Early rounds were junk as were my keepers.

Deangelo Williams, Duke Johnson, and Devonta Freeman were the common players on the championship teams in the couple of leagues I was in last year. Most were guys that were drafted in the middle to late rounds who just performed outstandingly.

You are probably forgetting David johnson. He was on both of my champions

You are probably forgetting David johnson. He was on both of my champions

No he didn't end up on the teams that won in any of my leagues but he was on the teams that were in the playoffs

Depth at RB is my strategy this year. In the past I always had lots of good WRs and it didn't do me any good since my starters never needed to be replaced. Then I had good WRs on my bench that I didn't want to release for nothing so I would try to trade them without success. Then I just had crap for RB with plenty of WRs.

Now I want my good starting WRs with a lot of depth at RB in hoped to increase my chances at one or more becoming a stud. I think it will be much easier to pick up a WR off waivers when needed compared to finding RBs or trying to trade my extra WRs for RBs.

I agree depth at RB is important.

starting calibre receivers are now pretty easy to find. but as I have always said, an elite player at any position is a valuable commodity.

thing about RB's is that you can now get a lot of those players in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds now.

the elite RB's still are first round picks, but I think there are really only 4 of them (some would argue 5)

after that, you are getting into RB's who have questions surrounding them. New team, or largely unproven, or other issues. These are probably players who should go in round 2, but I'm sure some people will get caught up in the hype and some will go in round 1. I think once you get to this point, you may be better off picking a top WR or QB, and coming back to get RB's later in the draft.

of course it all depends how your draft falls, but for now, the pendulum has swung and RB's aren't as highly regarded. I suggest people should use this to their advantage.

I agree depth at RB is important.

starting calibre receivers are now pretty easy to find. but as I have always said, an elite player at any position is a valuable commodity.

thing about RB's is that you can now get a lot of those players in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds now.

the elite RB's still are first round picks, but I think there are really only 4 of them (some would argue 5)

after that, you are getting into RB's who have questions surrounding them. New team, or largely unproven, or other issues. These are probably players who should go in round 2, but I'm sure some people will get caught up in the hype and some will go in round 1. I think once you get to this point, you may be better off picking a top WR or QB, and coming back to get RB's later in the draft.

of course it all depends how your draft falls, but for now, the pendulum has swung and RB's aren't as highly regarded. I suggest people should use this to their advantage.

Who are the, without a doubt, first round RBs this year?

• Like 1

Gurley, Le'Veon, DJ

Gurly, Bell, AP, Elliott, Martin & Miller.

I am a huge fan of Charles to bounce back from the injury, but I understand the risk factor knocks him back to Tier 2.

I think some would consider L Murray and Freeman are in that first group. I wouldn't argue against that to much.

Gurly, Bell, AP, Elliott, Martin & Miller.

I am a huge fan of Charles to bounce back from the injury, but I understand the risk factor knocks him back to Tier 2.

I think some would consider L Murray and Freeman are in that first group. I wouldn't argue against that to much.

And I have questions on all of them. Gurley was a rookie so we have a limited look at him. Bell has some injury concerns. Elliot is a rookie this year so we have absolutely no idea he can even play compete in the NFL. Martin doesn't seem to be consistent enough to be a first round pick. Miller has tons of upside but he's on a new team which generally doesn't translate to huge numbers in the first year. Charles has injury concerns. AP has age going against him. David Johnson has the same against him that Gurley does.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of these guys can be worth the top pick but I just don't think they are as safe as most of the WRs available. I honestly think Lacy has just as much of a shot at finishing in the top 10 as those other RBs.

Gurley, Bell, ADP, and Charles should all go in round 1 without a doubt.

You could make a good argument for Zeke, and DJ, but neither has proven themselves to a point where I'd consider them as a 'without a doubt round 1 player'.

They should go in round 2, but I suspect someone will draft them in round 1. Especially DJ who did at least get to start late in the season when CJ2K got hurt.

The reason I dont pick DJ in round one is that CJ2K is still on the team. There is the possibility of a time share there. I know many think the odds of a time share is slim. but I'd suggest, not as slim as you may think.

CJ2K held this kid off for the starting job for almost a full season before getting hurt. I'd say at the very least there is a reasonable chance (better than 1 in 3) this could be a time share. To me, that's enough to knock him out of round 1.

Zeke hasnt played a down of football. DMC is still there, but DMC's most recent injury does make him a tempting guy to grab in round 1.

But DMC should be back before week 1. So a time share is possible there too. (although less likely)

I consider him to be about the same level of upside and risk combined as DJ. but once again, I think someone probably does take him in round 1.

Miller is a third guy who many are high on. I got into a rather heated conversation with some on other threads regarding this.

My thoughts on Miller:

the good:

decent vision.

good talent, but not in the ballpark of the two players mentioned above. (in my opinion)

good durability. doesnt get injured (not yet anyways)

I wont go on record as saying he has great durability because Miami really didnt give him a ton of carries. whether that is because they feel he wouldnt be durable remains to be seen. I personally think it was because the team was playing from behind a lot and running the ball isnt a great idea when you are behind and the clock is your enemy.

The bad:

New team

completely new QB and a new WR

new playbook.-Lots of changes.

Regardless of whether the playbook is similar, this guy has to learn to play with a new QB and learn all the new plays. With this many new players put together in an offense, there is bound to be some growing pains. (think Philly in the first half of the season)

the other thing to consider is that the QB has a very small number of starts as a pro. he's literally almost a rookie.

If i were a defense in the first couple weeks of the new season, I'd stack the box and force that young QB to prove hes the real deal.

so I think the first couple of weeks could be rough for Miller.

but if Osweiler proves he can play, I could see Miller having a great second half of the season. If Osweiler struggles, so will Miller.

bottom line, He is not a first round pick (in my opinion)

That being said, I can see why people are excited about him. He has moved to a better team with a better O line. If Osweiler pans out, he could certainly give some very good value in round 2 of the draft.

If I'm not mistaken, the Texans under O'Brien predominantly use 11 personnel, and they run a spread offense. I think this benefits Miller immensely, since the Dolphins lined him up in a bevy of different areas, though he was mainly used in single back sets in Miami. His difference in production with the QB under center or shotgun wasn't that big of a discrepancy.

Of Lamar Miller's 241 touches last season, 133 were in single-back shotgun (4.74 yds per touch), 92 of them were single-back under center (5.54 yds per touch).

I'm not saying this will work but I like to play contrarian theories - opposite of what the other owners might be doing. I'm speculating that the other owners will see the same question marks and avoid RBs. So my idea is to grab those guys especially up top with two conditions:

1. Good value pick (cheaper than your projection)

2. You can live with him on your team and not have draft-remorse all day

So it's not just your first round but your first 4 - 5 rounds. Grab value picks at RBs. I have a feeling there will be many. And yes, these guys might carry question marks but they might be the guys who ends up carrying you to the championship that everyone else overlooked. Do opposite of people overpaying for WRs and gronk and Cam.

The only concern I have is that I'll be lopsided at RB so I will need to have a phenomenal draft at all other positions. Not a lot of room for error when I have high draft picks potentially sitting on my bench.

No he didn't end up on the teams that won in any of my leagues but he was on the teams that were in the playoffs

Oh yeah. I had him too. Sat on him all year thinking he'd be a good return this season. Never expected the production he gave last year.

So where are the WR vs. RB discussions now?

I was RB heavy with easily my best team ever, playing in the championship next week as a heavy favorite.

Where are the rest of the RB heavy guys at from this past off season?

Today I went against LeShon McCoy and David Johnson. Needless to say hell yea you can win with RBs, especially good ones against teams.

Where are the rest of the RB heavy guys at from this past off season?

:wave:

I play in a 2 flex league. My rb's/flex are David Johnson/Gordon/Murray/Ajayi/Howard. I'm 12-3.

Damn.

Sadly, everyone will be back on the RB-early train again next year......so I may actually get a "top-flight" WR next season, but you can bet I will load up on RB's. I can't help myself.

Love to be a contrarian drafter though.....that's where the value is.

I only lost one game all year, and ran away with most points total as well. My starting RBs are David Johnson (keeper), Ezekiel Elliott (paid plenty for him in this auction league), LeSean McCoy. I have Carlos Hyde, Jay Ajayi, Thomas Rawls, Kenneth Dixon, and now Bilal Powell on the bench.

My receivers are big name WR1s for their teams but they barely do anything for my team (DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs, K.Benjamin, AJ Green (traded Jordan Matthews, Crowell and McKinnon midseason for him), Sammy Watkins, Donte Moncrief, DeVante Parker. I have Brees and Rivers in a start 2QB league, and Jordan Reed and Ebron, and Chiefs D, Broncos D, and Justin Tucker.

Serious question. Do you build your team around stud RB's or WR's? I know the game has changed, and the strategies are different between redraft, keeper and dynasty..... Years ago, I always drafted RB/RB in the first two rounds. Now I prefer WR/WR, unless there is a run on WR's in round one and a top guys falls down the board.

I'm asking specifically because I took Elliott in the rookie draft in my dynasty league and have had some pretty solid offers for young WR's. I am already ok at RB in that league, and it's a horrible experience trying to get decent WR's as people hoard them....

in both my leagues this year, the playoff teams all had at least one solid RB producer all year.

The non playoff teams (for the most part) did not.

I cant speak for all leagues, but the 2 leagues I am in that's how it went down this year.

My two best teams, here are the rbs on the rosters

Djohns

Hyde

Ware

Dixon (Don't think I started anyone but these three. Maybe once?)

Djohns

Bell

Ware

I think the moral is Good rbs who don't get hurt are very valuable. We have all known this since the beginning of time since it's a simple numbers game. Less elite Bell cow rbs so when we have one it's just logically more valuable. It's the added injury risk that steers people toward drafting receivers early.

I think the reason this year seemed to flip the script a little is the "value" rbs seemed to really under perform, and they were more likely to get injured. Usually it seems the big name guys are the ones that go down.

The number one guy in my league is number one primarily because he inserts two out of three of these guys every week:

Zeke

Shady

Demarco Murray

He has 40-50 points guarantee practically every week. I'm lucky to get 15 points, which means I have 25-35 points to make up with my other players. So, do I think you can win with RBs? Hell yes!

#1 seed, most pts, in championship.

Lamar Miller & Frank Gore

----------------------------------

ADP=RB1 Todd Gurley, RB3 Adrian Peterson, RB5 Lamar Miller, RB8 Eddie Lacy, RB9 Mark Ingram, RB10 Jamaal Charles, RB11 Doug Martin, RB13 CJ Anderson, RB14 Thomas Rawls....

...all projected to dominate their backfields... like the top ranked RB's always are... which means that's not of any help when we're drafting...

My top team had David Johnson and DeMarco Murray.

My top team just lost to the 2nd place team and he had McCoy and Howard.

Running backs win!!

Every championship i've ever won has been on the back of an allworld RB... First marshall faulk, then CJ2K, Then David Johnson/Devonte freeman last year... and Hopefully Leveon can carry me home this year if i can sneak out the semis with a win tonight

My top team has DJ, Shady and Morgan. With Morgan out, I inserted my #4 RB, Howard. 67 pts ESPN std scoring yesterday. It's been a good thing as my WRs mostly suck.

I have DJ, Gordon and Howard.

WRs got hurt all year. The idea that WRs are safer is squashed. AJ green owner speaking.

Yes. Having a top rb or 2 gives you an edge every week. It is easier to mix n match wrs

My top team has DJ, Shady and Morgan. With Morgan out, I inserted my #4 RB, Howard. 67 pts ESPN std scoring yesterday. It's been a good thing as my WRs mostly suck.

Who is Morgan and why would you start him over Howard in the first place? :unsure:

Drafted DJ over OBJ in Round 1, Charles, Ajayi, and Forte. Worked out well (2 RBs + 1 FLEX). It has worked, mostly due to DJs consistency (which will be hard to replicate due to declining O and too many touches theory of wearing down) and the others contributing something every week. Ended up with 0 top flight WRs (best pre-draft ranks were A-Rob and Fitz), and still made it to the championship. It seems to be a year-to-year re-check. And luck.

I have just about the best stack of WRs you could realistically come by in Antonio Brown, Dez, Mike Evans, and Jordan Reed, which is sadly just a recipe to get you the most amount of points during the regular season.

Hitching your wagon to #1 WRs, even in good matchups, can be rough if all the other team focuses on is taking them out. Hard to make up those points elsewhere.

Depends on your drafting position. Every year is different. I actually went heavy on RBs late and they actually carried me.

Zek, Ingram, Ware, Coleman, Dixon all helped me. The WRs I drafted me. Jeffery, M.Floyd, Jordan Matthews... made some nice pickups of Ty Montgomery, T.Hill, Inman that didnt disappoint. Im favorite in the Championship came.

I'm in the finals behind David Johnson and Latavius Murray (with assists from Mathews/Riddick/Ware). My opponent dominated the league by stacking stud RBs (started with Gordon/D Murray, dealt Antonio Brown for Elliott, dealt Gordon for Miller). We finished 1-2 in points by a wide margin and made it to the finals.

The only RBs currently on my roster for my big money league that I actually drafted are Spencer Ware and Theo Riddick.

I picked up Jordan Howard and Thomas Rawls along the way.

If this was a long thread abut going WR heavy because stud RBs are dead, I'll just reiterate what I say every season.

You draft the best player available and the fact that stud RBS are becoming harder to come by only makes them that much more valuable when you hve to start two.

I'd much rather own DJ, Zeke, Bell than most of the 1st round WRs. There were plenty if first round busts at both positions and plenty if early round injuries at both.

It's easier to find bargain WRs. You can find bargain RBS but there are just MORE receivers that emerge each year as weekly contributors.