Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Does anyone win with RB's anymore?

Who is Morgan and why would you start him over Howard in the first place? :unsure:

My bad... morphed Gordon's name into "Morgan". That's why I had been starting him over Howard; who I sometimes refer to as Henry Jordon... it's tough getting to be old.

Listening to Fantasy Football Weekly on KFAN. Dec23

They ended looking toward who might be the #1 player in next year draft.

This group tends towards the opposite. 2 years ago, advocating Gronk at #1 (bit agressive, but not too).

This next year they see more value in RB at the top picks.

Selecting David Johnson, RB ARI assuming that either/both Palmer/Fitzgerald return.

The didn't say it, but Elliot was implied the #2

All this, I did enjoy doing the opposite.

It did work out in that I had great depth at RB.

Big challenge is to commit and now when to take the RB.

See my sig.

The dued that selected DJ in the first round won our big money league today. He was picked one pick a head of my first round pick. I definitely was considering him first round and probably would have grabbed him in a full PPR. He was picked 6th overall.

I drafted David Johnson, evans, McCoy and Murray in the first 4 rounds in a full pt ppr. I'm up 15.5 pts heading into tonight. I got hill vs his d Thomas. We'll see.

• Like 1

Yep...dude with D.J. and Shady is well on his way to winning the league. Beat me last week, winning this week. I'm pretty happy for the guy he has NEVER won our league and in the first 15 years he only made the Final 4 two times before this year. He's a solid dude, pays his dues, plays his team even when he's terrible, and hosts our draft. I am rooting for him to take it all today.

• Like 1

RBs carried me to the title this year in one league. Bell, Murray, and Ware put in work all season and made up for some shaky WRs (ARob, Cooks) and a revolving door of trash at TE.

DJ has to be fantasy MVP this year but Murray has to at least be in the discussion, especially considering his draft position. He propelled a ton of teams to the playoffs.

You certainly need good RB's to win, but I think the argument is moreso just that it's harder to predict the top RB's than to predict the top WR's.

I'm sure most teams that took Johnson, Bell and Zeke early did well. But those that took AP, Gurley or Charles probably didn't unless they were able to snag someone like Murray, Blount or Howard.

Some of the "better" WR's were probably a little more volatile this year compared to year's past, but the consensus top three WR's based on FFT's last ADP data (Brown, Beckham, Julio) are all currently among the top 7 WR's -- although I realize Julio and Brown pending what happens in the rest of tonight's game haven't helped too many people in the FF playoffs.

However, Gurley and AP had the 2 highest ADP's among RB's according to FFT.

I think I did decide to try not to ever get more than 2 WR's before drafting an RB though. It's nice to have 1 or 2 stud WR's, but it's not too difficult to find a WR3 off the WW.

Officially won my league now.

Brees - via trade

David Johnson - keeper

Le'Veon Bell- drafted 12th overall

D. Freeman- keeper

D. Martin - via trade

D. Williams - via trade

TY Hilton - via trade

A. Cooper - via trade

Tyrrell Williams - FA Bid

G. Olsen - 1st pick 4th round

The core of my team. I remember most of the trades to get players if anyone cares. Needless to say this is the highest scoring team in our modern keeper Era, and is so by about 150 points. I'll likely not have another year with this type of success in trades, draft, keepers, and health.

This was a lot of fun, although I hampered myself next year for zero gain this year. Traded Wentz, my 5th, and my 8th next year for Alshon and Doug Martin at the deadline. I got exactly 1 game from Doug and shouldn't have even played him that week but felt I needed to so I could get some trade return.

I am seeing a lot of Championship squads, including my own, with Zekes/Bells/Johnsons/Freemans/McCoys/Murrays/etc.....and with preseason scrubs or late-round fliers at WR, like Meredith/Tyrell/Thomas/Tate/Adams/Crabs/etc.

The big boost to RB-early drafters this season is the fact that they actually stayed healthy this year, with the exception of ADP and Charles.....which could almost be predicted. Gurly was really the only major bust of the 1st & 2nd rounders.

Jordan Howard wins the RB free agent pick up of the year award......and I missed him in every league :mad:

I will continue to draft RB heavy, just as I always have.....but will be hard-pressed to do well at it, with everyone back on the train. Heck, I may just draft Rodgers late in the 1st if I miss out on the top 3 or 4 RB's.

I'll be likely drafting WRs next year. 12th overall won't be a kind spot for RB heavy draft next year like it was this past year.

Like we talked about at the beginning of this thread that started last offseason...gotta zig when everyone else zags, hope you hit your players, and cross your fingers you stay healthy.

I am seeing a lot of Championship squads, including my own, with Zekes/Bells/Johnsons/Freemans/McCoys/Murrays/etc.....and with preseason scrubs or late-round fliers at WR, like Meredith/Tyrell/Thomas/Tate/Adams/Crabs/etc.

The big boost to RB-early drafters this season is the fact that they actually stayed healthy this year, with the exception of ADP and Charles.....which could almost be predicted. Gurly was really the only major bust of the 1st & 2nd rounders.

Jordan Howard wins the RB free agent pick up of the year award......and I missed him in every league :mad:

I will continue to draft RB heavy, just as I always have.....but will be hard-pressed to do well at it, with everyone back on the train. Heck, I may just draft Rodgers late in the 1st if I miss out on the top 3 or 4 RB's.

There was also another injury-related bust among the top drafted RB's in Lacy. Even Lamar Miller who was a 1st round pick probably wasn't on a ton of championship rosters--and still likely wouldn't have been even if he did play this week.

Top 10 Drafted RB's in non-PPR according to FFT:

1. Gurley - pretty much a bust

2. AP - bust (injured)

3. Elliott - stud

4. Johnson - stud

5. Miller - meh

6. Bell - stud

7. Charles - bust (injured)

8. Lacy - bust (injured)

9. Freeman - very good

10. McCoy - stud

So you basically only had half of the top 10 that were good, 1 that was okay, 1 that was a bust at his draft spot and 3 that got injured.

There was also another injury-related bust among the top drafted RB's in Lacy. Even Lamar Miller who was a 1st round pick probably wasn't on a ton of championship rosters--and still likely wouldn't have been even if he did play this week.

Top 10 Drafted RB's in non-PPR according to FFT:

1. Gurley - pretty much a bust

2. AP - bust (injured)

3. Elliott - stud

4. Johnson - stud

5. Miller - meh

6. Bell - stud

7. Charles - bust (injured)

8. Lacy - bust (injured)

9. Freeman - very good

10. McCoy - stud

So you basically only had half of the top 10 that were good, 1 that was okay, 1 that was a bust at his draft spot and 3 that got injured.

I'm not arguing that some don't bust, but my point is if you've got RBs in your stable it makes your team extremely difficult to beat. It's different than having WRs to me.

Also Miller and Gurley have you RB2 so while not what expected, I don't think complete busts like the injured guys.

All it will take next year is David Johnson and Le'Veon BELL breaking their legs to have everyone switching back to receivers in 2018. Draft a Bell cow rb and pray you get lucky with health

I'm not arguing that some don't bust, but my point is if you've got RBs in your stable it makes your team extremely difficult to beat. It's different than having WRs to me.

Also Miller and Gurley have you RB2 so while not what expected, I don't think complete busts like the injured guys.

Well yeah that's what I said initially - of course you do need good RB's.

But just because you draft them early doesn't really give you much of a better chance to get good ones.

Well yeah that's what I said initially - of course you do need good RB's.

But just because you draft them early doesn't really give you much of a better chance to get good ones.

No doubt. I love RBs, but my overall point in this article was that there was a clear WR trend that started forming last offseason as an overreaction to the previous year, and many here noticed it and challenged it by going RB. This won't work every year, but finding the new strategy is the fun part.

Look at the top 4 RBs this season

All 4 were down last season or in college.

L Bell missed 10 games injured

D Johnson was impressive but was on the bench a good part of the season

Zeke was at OSU

D Murray was in the debacle that was Chip Kelly's Eagles

All 4 have performed better than the top RB last season

Even guys like Melvin Gordon and Shady are up big time this season

Next year I'll switch back to drafting wr early. This year I changed my strategy and took David Johnson at 4, came back landed Evans then shady. In the 4th landed Murray. What's amazing is I drafted Josh Gordon in the 5th and still destroyed my league and won it all

Anecdotal of course, but in my only two leagues, the only guy that was on both winning rosters (neither being mine), was Blount. Thought that was interesting.

Reading back through some of these replies, do have one other comment:

I only lost one game all year, and ran away with most points total as well. My starting RBs are David Johnson (keeper), Ezekiel Elliott (paid plenty for him in this auction league), LeSean McCoy. I have Carlos Hyde, Jay Ajayi, Thomas Rawls, Kenneth Dixon, and now Bilal Powell on the bench.

My receivers are big name WR1s for their teams but they barely do anything for my team (DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs, K.Benjamin, AJ Green (traded Jordan Matthews, Crowell and McKinnon midseason for him), Sammy Watkins, Donte Moncrief, DeVante Parker. I have Brees and Rivers in a start 2QB league, and Jordan Reed and Ebron, and Chiefs D, Broncos D, and Justin Tucker.

4 team league?

Anecdotal of course, but in my only two leagues, the only guy that was on both winning rosters (neither being mine), was Blount. Thought that was interesting.

Reading back through some of these replies, do have one other comment:

4 team league?

8 team league.

PPR, 2 QB, 2 RB, 1 Flex RB/WR, 3 WR, 1 WR/TE Flex, 2 TE, 2 Kickers, 2 Defenses, and 1 Defensive player.

I won it all though. Fun times! It looks like I'll win about $540 with all bonuses for high scoring weekly and total points, and division win, and the championship. Net of about $400.

Drafted Gurley, Freeman, Gordon & C-Mike. Added Booker. At times those were considered great options.

By seasons end I traded away Freeman and all but Gurley went to hell, I suppose I was winning regular season with RB but won the title with multiple above average contributions from all positions.

12 team redraft league, auction draft got me Jeremy Hill, Thomas Rawls, Duke Johnson (my big $$$ was spent on Antonio, Olsen, and Luck). Dropped Rawls after his injury, eventually picked up Jon Stewart and traded for Doug Martin. Overall my RBs were shat all year, at the end of the regular season I was 11th out of 12 in rushing and squeaked into the playoffs at 7-6.

Then I got lucky as hell, got three opponents who underachieved, and won out to win the title. So you can win without RBs, but it sure would have been easier with Bell or Shady on my team.

12 team redraft league, auction draft got me Jeremy Hill, Thomas Rawls, Duke Johnson (my big $$$ was spent on Antonio, Olsen, and Luck). Dropped Rawls after his injury, eventually picked up Jon Stewart and traded for Doug Martin. Overall my RBs were shat all year, at the end of the regular season I was 11th out of 12 in rushing and squeaked into the playoffs at 7-6.

Then I got lucky as hell, got three opponents who underachieved, and won out to win the title. So you can win without RBs, but it sure would have been easier with Bell or Shady on my team.

Which may have won you a few more games which may have changed your seeding which may have lead to a loss

I have just about the best stack of WRs you could realistically come by in Antonio Brown, Dez, Mike Evans, and Jordan Reed, which is sadly just a recipe to get you the most amount of points during the regular season.

Hitching your wagon to #1 WRs, even in good matchups, can be rough if all the other team focuses on is taking them out. Hard to make up those points elsewhere.

and then of course in the exact opposite this week, it was my stacked WRs that all came through as needed to pull me through at the end to lock up 3rd place. Only got 13 out of my RBs, while my opponent got 33 from his.

Brown and Evans both going for 15 and Bryant going for 23 last night.

hard to beat a stacked set of WRs like that when they're on.

and then of course in the exact opposite this week, it was my stacked WRs that all came through as needed to pull me through at the end to lock up 3rd place. Only got 13 out of my RBs, while my opponent got 33 from his.

Brown and Evans both going for 15 and Bryant going for 23 last night.

hard to beat a stacked set of WRs like that when they're on.

I guess. It's hard to beat any team that scores a lot of points. In one of our dynasty leagues we have a team with Brown, Beckham, Evans, Cooper. He did not win. Just because someone has a big name it doesn't make their points more valuable.

I guess. It's hard to beat any team that scores a lot of points. In one of our dynasty leagues we have a team with Brown, Beckham, Evans, Cooper. He did not win. Just because someone has a big name it doesn't make their points more valuable.

right, but the trend towards big name WRs is to chase targets, which are pretty reliable as a big name WR. Targets over time always eventually lead to production, and generally over the entire season they will work themselves out to the point where you should be in the playoffs at least.

on a week to week basis they can screw you of course because you could get them in the playoffs on the one given week(s) where the production doesn't hit, but such is life. Generally one of the 3 though have been good to go off every week, so that helps to offset lesser production from the others.

I've done zero RB now two years in a row and got 2nd last year and 3rd this year. I'm not married to the concept, but it's got it's merit.

I've done no Rb , I've done no WRs

In the end im really looking for is balance.

In my biggest league it's a ppr league it's L Bell vs D Johnson.

Neither one of them have great Wr.

No Brown no Beckham and no Jones or Nelson.

The team I defeated in the finals which was over weeks 15 and 16 had Brown, OBJ, Nelson, Tate, Michael Thomas & Crowder and he starts 5 WR each week, he also had Jordan Howard, Mark Ingram, Luck, Stafford, Kelce, Walker and Brate.

Who were his RB's? Did he lose in the semis? All of those guys except Cooper had solid Week 16's. But really only Beckham was good in Week 15.

Who were his RB's? Did he lose in the semis? All of those guys except Cooper had solid Week 16's. But really only Beckham was good in Week 15.

He lost to me in the Semis. His rbs were Steward and Hyde I believe. He benched Gurley, which I believe was the right move. Qb was Luck. Tight end was Olsen. Really I am lucky I won because he has a super team of sorts.

He lost to me in the Semis. His rbs were Steward and Hyde I believe. He benched Gurley, which I believe was the right move. Qb was Luck. Tight end was Olsen. Really I am lucky I won because he has a super team of sorts.

So basically his RBs weren't all that good. Had he drafted Murray instead of Hyde (obviously no idea who was drafted sooner in your league but their ADP's were similar) he probably would've been in a lot better position.

So basically his RBs weren't all that good. Had he drafted Murray instead of Hyde (obviously no idea who was drafted sooner in your league but their ADP's were similar) he probably would've been in a lot better position.

It's a dynasty

• Like 1

If this was a long thread abut going WR heavy because stud RBs are dead, I'll just reiterate what I say every season.

You draft the best player available and the fact that stud RBS are becoming harder to come by only makes them that much more valuable when you hve to start two.

I'd much rather own DJ, Zeke, Bell than most of the 1st round WRs. There were plenty if first round busts at both positions and plenty if early round injuries at both.

It's easier to find bargain WRs. You can find bargain RBS but there are just MORE receivers that emerge each year as weekly contributors.

DJ, Zeke, and Bell will put up the same fantasy points as 2 RB's on most other fantasy teams and they will only take up 1 roster spot. If that's not reason enough to draft them high, I dont know what is.

I'd discount Bell a bit because hes 1 drug related suspension away from a long layoff. but if you are gonna swing for the fences, you probably take him anyways.

I'm not to sure right now what I might do this next season.

I'm again leaning towards going Wr early.

And get a Rb in round three or so.

I can see a lot of people jumping on Rbs in my ppr leagues.

Should create a lot of good options in both the first two or three rounds for WRs.

And look to pick up another D Murray in round three or four.

I'm not to sure right now what I might do this next season.

I'm again leaning towards going Wr early.

And get a Rb in round three or so.

I can see a lot of people jumping on Rbs in my ppr leagues.

Should create a lot of good options in both the first two or three rounds for WRs.

And look to pick up another D Murray in round three or four.

L Murray :thumbsup:

L Murray :thumbsup:

I like the pick, but given the awesome line he runs behind, I really was hoping for more from him. I know he got hurt, but he still underwhelmed.

I am not 100% sure of where I pick him. Certainly not round 1 or 2. Maybe round 3.

I will have to think about this one during the offseason.

I think he was under used and is on the way out.

He avg 4 yards per rush and avg just under 14 rushes per game.

Only in four games did he run the ball sixteen or more times.

2015 he had nine times he ran the ball over sixteen times.

BPA at draft, work the waiver, don't have major injuries, in 1 QB leagues I'd say don't panic on QB runs.

#2 in points and started Tyrod all year and had Keenan go down in 2 minutes and Marshall did jack squat. If you do happen to get good RB's, you have a huge advantage.