Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Sam Darnold - QB - USC

We all know of a handful of current collegiate QB's that could one day make a big splash in the NFL, including fantasy football, of course. But who will be the next Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc.?

Baker Mayfield with OU certainly seems a likely candidate. However, although we will have to wait a while, I am predicting that USC freshman QB Sam Darnold could well be one of the NFL's greats.....if he can stay healthy, of course.

Not a USC fan, but had a chance to see him a few times this year....and he is as close to a natural as I have ever witnessed. Prototypical size, poised, high football IQ, accurate, with great escapability. He has IT. Under the bright lights of the Rose Bowl, against a legit Penn State Defense, he went for 450+ yards and 5 TD's......and made it look easy He was unflappable. Ice water in his veins.Just another day at the office.

Store that name away in your your medulla oblongata, fellers. I'm calling it early. ....really early.

I heard the game on the radio.

And the announcers doing the game already beat you to it.

I'm just saying.

Happy New Year.

Store that name away in your your medulla oblongata, fellers. I'm calling it early. ....really early.

I shall do so. Thank you.

Edited to add: Oh, by the way, there has been much talk in Seahawks Land since Sunday's game about Alex Collins finally coming into his own. Everyone's pretty well surprised and pleased. There was some explanation given as to why he'd been hampered up to that point, but I didn't catch it at the time.

Anyway, you called that one early, too. Good eye. : )

One guy who caught my eye was Penn State's Saquon Barkley, who was proving himself useful in big situations. I wasn't sure about his speed though and a quick check shows a 40 time of 4.66 ..so I dunno.

"Baker Mayfield with OU certainly seems a likely candidate."

Actually not so much, his pro prospects are pretty dim.

One guy who caught my eye was Penn State's Saquon Barkley, who was proving himself useful in big situations. I wasn't sure about his speed though and a quick check shows a 40 time of 4.66 ..so I dunno.

He'll be the first or second RB taken in next years draft.

Be nice to get a good QB in todays game, and then they go to Cleveland and all hope for life is gone.

He was super-impressive.

His leg strength is unreal. Isn't he the one that they showed a video of....power-cleaning 390 lbs?

I must pray that the Browns wise up in the next draft and go Qb.

At least show your fans that you want to win.

His leg strength is unreal. Isn't he the one that they showed a video of....power-cleaning 390 lbs?

He was the one. His clips also show him to be one who likes to high-hurdle his way to extra yardage.

Oh, by the way, there has been much talk in Seahawks Land since Sunday's game about Alex Collins finally coming into his own. Everyone's pretty well surprised and pleased.

I still believe....

We all know of a handful of current collegiate QB's that could one day make a big splash in the NFL, including fantasy football, of course. But who will be the next Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc.?

Baker Mayfield with OU certainly seems a likely candidate. However, although we will have to wait a while, I am predicting that USC freshman QB Sam Darnold could well be one of the NFL's greats.....if he can stay healthy, of course.

Not a USC fan, but had a chance to see him a few times this year....and he is as close to a natural as I have ever witnessed. Prototypical size, poised, high football IQ, accurate, with great escapability. He has IT. Under the bright lights of the Rose Bowl, against a legit Penn State Defense, he went for 450+ yards and 5 TD's......and made it look easy He was unflappable. Ice water in his veins.Just another day at the office.

He even looked like a young Carson Palmer at USC.

I thought at least.

The team's offense was taken to the next level once Darnold took over; and while I don't want to look too much into one partial season, I'm definitely intrigued by his potential. And yes, Barkley is a monster and will be one of the top RB's drafted in 2018. We could definitely see a resurgence in RB's being taken earlier in the draft in both 2017 and 2018.

I must pray that the Browns wise up in the next draft and go Qb.

At least show your fans that you want to win.

Yes, show your fans that you want to win - again (Tim Couch) and again (Brady Quinn) and again (Charlie Frye) and again (Colt McCoy) and again (Brandon Weeden) and again (Johnny Football). :doublethumbsup:
  • Like 2

He played the same as a freshman. He is a future NFL starter baring injury. He reminds me of a combo of Shady and ADP in run style

Oh my soul your right, those qbs where awful picks by the Browns.

Maybe they can't show their fans that they at least want to try to win.

My son attends Penn State so I was certainly rooting for the Lions...

This kid was electric, making great throw after great throw.

I was beside myself PSU played it conservative instead of trying to get a first down on 3rd and 4 to ice the game away. NO WAY did you want to give Darnold another crack. And PSU really gained nothing in the way of TOs....made em burn 1, big whoop. Darnold had plenty of time and his line did a great job protecting him and he made some amazing throws. The kid is legit.

• Like 1

My son attends Penn State so I was certainly rooting for the Lions...

This kid was electric, making great throw after great throw.

I was beside myself PSU played it conservative instead of trying to get a first down on 3rd and 4 to ice the game away. NO WAY did you want to give Darnold another crack. And PSU really gained nothing in the way of TOs....made em burn 1, big whoop. Darnold had plenty of time and his line did a great job protecting him and he made some amazing throws. The kid is legit.

PSU fan here, was hoping they would run the exact play they scored a short TD on earlier, role McSorley out with the run pass option to Barkley. Nearly unstoppable for a 4 yard gain.

Instead they run all wrs 20 yards down field like there are 15 seconds left.

Right now my 9ers have the #2 pick. What to do, what to do. Krapernick sure ain't the answer &to early for me to tell if there's a QB worthy at 2 to be the franchise guy. We don't have much to build on other than maybe Carlos Hyde but whoever ends up GM & Head Coach good possibility Jed York screws it all up. As of today, yeah heck, throw Darnold in there at 2. I'd take him over sittin'down/knee down performances of, we all know who. I spilled my blood and nearly my life yet he has that right, fargin icehole, just don't want him on my favorite team. Sorry to blow off & didn't n ean to upset anyone by it, I apolgize cause the topic is about QB Darnold. From what I've heard &seen around this kid I wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up a r9er. God knows, lol, we need all the help we can get turning this thing around & he could help to do that, yet they better make good decisions &put people the right players around him to give the kid a chance to be successfull. As bad as our year was I still always hopeful that the next year will be better. Thanks for lettin' me rant. Doc out 😒

Right now my 9ers have the #2 pick. What to do, what to do. Krapernick sure ain't the answer &to early for me to tell if there's a QB worthy at 2 to be the franchise guy. We don't have much to build on other than maybe Carlos Hyde but whoever ends up GM & Head Coach good possibility Jed York screws it all up. As of today, yeah heck, throw Darnold in there at 2. I'd take him over sittin'down/knee down performances of, we all know who. I spilled my blood and nearly my life yet he has that right, fargin icehole, just don't want him on my favorite team. Sorry to blow off & didn't n ean to upset anyone by it, I apolgize cause the topic is about QB Darnold. From what I've heard &seen around this kid I wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up a r9er. God knows, lol, we need all the help we can get turning this thing around & he could help to do that, yet they better make good decisions &put people the right players around him to give the kid a chance to be successfull. As bad as our year was I still always hopeful that the next year will be better. Thanks for lettin' me rant. Doc out

well Darnold is only a redshirt freshman right now, so he's got at least one more year minimum.

I don't think they should force a Watson selection if they don't think he's elite, but they may not have a choice either as this is a real weak QB draft, and they've been bone dry at the position now for the past 2 years. Unless they're really sold on the kid from NC, and are willing to trade up back into the late first to ensure they get him.

Det with Stafford, Car with Newton, and Atl with Ryan are all teams with high high picks that "reached" for a QB that was closer to the 7-10 range, and for which it turned out okay. He can do a lot more to help the entirety of the team than a Myles Garrett, even if Garrett is the overall better player.

well Darnold is only a redshirt freshman right now, so he's got at least one more year minimum.

I don't think they should force a Watson selection if they don't think he's elite, but they may not have a choice either as this is a real weak QB draft, and they've been bone dry at the position now for the past 2 years. Unless they're really sold on the kid from NC, and are willing to trade up back into the late first to ensure they get him.

Det with Stafford, Car with Newton, and Atl with Ryan are all teams with high high picks that "reached" for a QB that was closer to the 7-10 range, and for which it turned out okay. He can do a lot more to help the entirety of the team than a Myles Garrett, even if Garrett is the overall better player.

I'd be nervous taking a QB with their top pick if I'm the 49ers though. I understand that teams typically go as far as their quarterbacks lead them, but if you take the wrong guy early in the draft, you set the franchise back at least as long as his rookie contract. Especially if a talented edge player like Garrett is available, I'm taking him early and hoping to develop a QB you're not completely married to either later in the draft or through free agency.

I'd be nervous taking a QB with their top pick if I'm the 49ers though. I understand that teams typically go as far as their quarterbacks lead them, but if you take the wrong guy early in the draft, you set the franchise back at least as long as his rookie contract. Especially if a talented edge player like Garrett is available, I'm taking him early and hoping to develop a QB you're not completely married to either later in the draft or through free agency.

and I do truly agree with that I should clarify; I hate reaching that early. That's how you get Blake Bortles on a young developing franchise that just destroys all your momentum.

I just for whatever reason feel like SF is different because their team has imploded so royally recently, and their QB situation has been just so monumentally bad these past few years. Even with an entire regime change coming, I feel like their own players and fans are damn near close to mutiny if they don't show an aggressive plan for fixing the QB position this year; and if that isn't addressed via FA and with it being a thin draft for QBs (there's no Dak Prescott's this year) then Watson has to seriously be an option.

I mean Leonard Williams was by most accounts the consensus #1 player two years ago and he went #6 after QBs went 1/2, and last year we saw teams trade up massively for questionable at best prospects in Goff and Wentz, so I don't think Watson at 2 is that far off considering he's still thought of as a Top 10 prospect.

Like I said, not that I think he should be either, just 'cuz to be honest.

• Like 2

and I do truly agree with that I should clarify; I hate reaching that early. That's how you get Blake Bortles on a young developing franchise that just destroys all your momentum.

I just for whatever reason feel like SF is different because their team has imploded so royally recently, and their QB situation has been just so monumentally bad these past few years. Even with an entire regime change coming, I feel like their own players and fans are damn near close to mutiny if they don't show an aggressive plan for fixing the QB position this year; and if that isn't addressed via FA and with it being a thin draft for QBs (there's no Dak Prescott's this year) then Watson has to seriously be an option.

I mean Leonard Williams was by most accounts the consensus #1 player two years ago and he went #6 after QBs went 1/2, and last year we saw teams trade up massively for questionable at best prospects in Goff and Wentz, so I don't think Watson at 2 is that far off considering he's still thought of as a Top 10 prospect.

Like I said, not that I think he should be either, just 'cuz to be honest.

Definitely makes sense. I have to do a little more studying before I can commit to a QB or QB's I prefer in this draft. Just haven't been blown away by anything I've seen so far.

I think you're perfectly right Oriole. I missed that Darnold was redshirt. Anywho, the 9ers definitely are in a pickle as far as QB. Yep. Not a real strong c 'll ass for a franchise guy. They probably need to concentrate on the right GM & HC for now. Suck it up and hope for a better QB cass 2018 maybe. Not sure who the prospects might be as I don't follow college ball that much. It all now s tee arts at the top for the 9ers. If the right guys are in place, PLEASE God, then they should be or better be able to figure it out, or the 9ers a gonna be on a very long uphill climb to get this ships righted.

PSU fan here, was hoping they would run the exact play they scored a short TD on earlier, role McSorley out with the run pass option to Barkley. Nearly unstoppable for a 4 yard gain.

Instead they run all wrs 20 yards down field like there are 15 seconds left.

Nice good to see a PSU fans still out there amidst the crap that went on...I like that idea to run the option. I just didn't have a good feeling about giving SC another crack with a QB who was really in the zone. It's a bummer, a Rose Bowl win would have capped off a magical season considering where it was when they lost to Pitt and got hammered in Ann Arbor....They should be an outstanding team next year.

I hope this kid Darnold turns out to be a franchise QB. Then he probably stands more chance acheiving that than going to my 9ers. Looks like so few QB's turn pick from on the '17 draft, so maybe the 9ERS. outta wait til next year for. QB and build elsewhere.