Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***80s Music Thread Vote Here***

Which list of songs do you like best?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. In Bracket One, Who's list of songs do you like best?

• RaiderHater
    • Hardcore Troubadour
    • Vuduchile
    • edjr
    • Fandandy
    • Shotsup
  2. 2. In Bracket Two, Who's list of songs do you like best?

• cruzer
    • dain11279
    • nzoner
    • SUXBNME
    • Voltaire
    • Titans

Thank you for the kind words. :cheers:

so many people my age LOVED hip hop in the late 80s and that was high school for me.

people may not like hip hop, but you can't deny the impact it had.

God, I love my wife sometimes (well all the time).

My kids, growing up in my house, all they listen to is music I or my wife like, which, since I went extra heavy here, is kind of halfway between what I drafted and what you did. As for my wife, she likes Chinese or English pop. No rap at all. So my kids, they like what we like.

So anyway we're watching the New Years Eve broadcast together and a Chinese rap star is performing and my wife says "This is terrible. Only young people like this music."

So my 10 y/o daughter gets really offended at this. "No! I hate it too!" :wub:

And I was thinking how slick a trick that was. It's really sh1tbags our age in the US that inflicted this cancer on the world but my kids don't need to know that. And also, not at East Detroit High though, just a small handful. It was almost entirely pop or rock or metal in 1989. Eminem went to Lincoln, just west of us, before he dropped out. I've no idea what they were up to. They were more southern white trash, while we were more ethnic white trash (2nd/3rd generation Italian, Polish, Irish, German). We called south Warren Warren-tucky.

2 votes, 1 from myself :lol:

Fock the lot of you. I got "It Takes Two" in the next to last round for Christ's sake, at least half of you must've roller skated to that back in your youth. :mad:

I lauded you for that pick at the time and I really like your list but...

I think Dain's chances slipped away when he drafted Mr. Roboto. :lol:

I need to resolve it with this. You could have picked, well, anything from Paradise Theater and it would have worked. I may still pick you, haven't decided, this is tough.

This whole draft was a joke IMO. I get it, everyone is trying to pick their favorite obscure songs nobody gives a fock about. But there are just so many absolutely essential 80's songs missing from this list... I could make my own team out of what you all missed, that would beat half of these sad squads.

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World ???????????????????????????????????????

Duran Duran - Rio ??????????????????????????????????

Bananarama - Cruel Summer ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun ???????????????????????????

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody ??????????????????????????????

NKOTB - Hanging Tough ??????????????????????????

The Cult - Fire Woman

Starship - We Built This City

Prince - 1999

Peter Schilling - Major Tom

Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now?

Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

Kenny Loggins - Footloose

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart

Martika - Toy Soldiers

The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink

Paula Abdul - Straight Up

I've thought about coming up with such a list from unselected songs... Open Arms by Journey?

God, I love my wife sometimes (well all the time).

My kids, growing up in my house, all they listen to is music I or my wife like, which, since I went extra heavy here, is kind of halfway between what I drafted and what you did. As for my wife, she likes Chinese or English pop. No rap at all. So my kids, they like what we like.

So anyway we're watching the New Years Eve broadcast together and a Chinese rap star is performing and my wife says "This is terrible. Only young people like this music."

So my 10 y/o daughter gets really offended at this. "No! I hate it too!" :wub:

And I was thinking how slick a trick that was. It's really sh1tbags our age in the US that inflicted this cancer on the world but my kids don't need to know that. And also, not at East Detroit High though, just a small handful. It was almost entirely pop or rock or metal in 1989. Eminem went to Lincoln, just west of us, before he dropped out. I've no idea what they were up to. They were more southern white trash, while we were more ethnic white trash.

I have a 2:15/2:30 hour commute every day, back and forth combined.

My 30 minutes in the car I listen to sports talk The rest walking/train, I have my wireless earbuds in and I listen to my collection of mp3s.

As a matter of fact I booked a wedding for this coming June (for people I know well) and I am taking notes to not forget any good songs dinner and dancing.

Settled on edjr and Voltaire...

Not that anyone else really cares...

Smart man

I'm not sure I really even like the voting aspect to be honest. Are we taking songs we like or are we taking songs we think voters will like?

There is no winner, or loser, as we all win with these drafts. I voted for ed and cruzer, what put them over the top is the 80's iconic-ness of their lists. Hey Mickey...oozes 80's, Roll Me Away is a great song by a 70's performer. Free Fallin...great song, sure it came out in the 80's, but its a 90's song.

There is no winner, or loser, as we all win with these drafts. I voted for ed and cruzer, what put them over the top is the 80's iconic-ness of their lists. Hey Mickey...oozes 80's, Roll Me Away is a great song by a 70's performer. Free Fallin...great song, sure it came out in the 80's, but its a 90's song.

I took hey mickey, because I had spouted off 5 other songs I never took and some were drafted before I had a chance

Songs left on my list. some may have been taken.

Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me
The Breakfast Club - Right On Track
Pat Benatar - Shadows Of The Night
Night Ranger - When You Close Your Eyes
Culture Club - Do You Really Want To Hurt Me
Irene Cara - Flashdance
Michael Sembello - Maniac
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
Hall and Oates - Maneater
Hall and Oates - Private Eyes
Alan Parsons Project - Sirius/Eye In The Sky
DOn Felder - Heavy Metal
Don Henley - Dirty Laundry
Jackson Browne - Somebody’s Baby
Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Mr. Mister - Kyrie
Scandal - The Warrior
Rick Springfield - Don’t Talk To Strangers
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
Madness - Our House
Foreigner - Waiting For A Girl Like You
Elton John - I’m Still Standing
Rod Stewart - Infatuation
Cindy Lauper - She Bop
The Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn
Don Henley - Boys Of Summer
Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night
Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
Olivia Newton John - Physical
Toto - Africa
Beach Boys kokomo

that could make for some great wedding/dj moments.

Bride: i like to request Celebration by Kool and the Gang

Edjr: I like to request you lay off the cake tubby and let me do my job.

As a past mobile DJ myself and I'm assuming edjr would agree,a book could be written on sh!t you see as a DJ

I had a father of the bride(older drunk redneck)request Tear In My Beer and told me to keep playing it until he said stop.Well being that he wrote the check I did as instructed and the third time the song was playing the bride comes up and wants to know what the fock I think I'm doing.So I tell her and she promptly makes her way down to her father as I start cuing up another song because I know she's going to get her way.

Anyhow as my head is down I hear a loud crash and some shrieks and look up just in time to see the groom laying in the middle of a collapsed food table.The scuff didn't last long after that and yes i got to start playing other music.

• Like 1

I stuck by my plan, but it was easy to get tempted to go chase that pop bauble I love over there. Maybe if I didn't care about the votes I would have went there. Talking especially about Irene Cara "What a Feeling"

Gotta weigh in on Rapture. It had zero influence on rap. It's just some poorly put together nonsense at the END of the song. Its not like the stations that played Blondie started playing Rap. It was just a novelty to the people that listened to that type music. And had no cross over affect.

that could make for some great wedding/dj moments.

Bride: i like to request Celebration by Kool and the Gang

Edjr: I like to request you lay off the cake tubby and let me do my job.

I personally hate celebration, but fock all if people don't all go bananas if you play it.

And that's what it's all about. People dancing and having fun, make it all worth it.

Did I ever tell you guys I had a grandmother (60s) kept asking me to play Eminem (Nate Dog) - Shake That Ass For me.

I was new to doing weddings and there were maybe, 5 or so kids under 12. I kept blowing her off and not playing.

I only had the "dirty" version.

Finally, 2nd to last song, I was lubed up enough, I let it rip.

Father of one of the young kids wanted to fight me for playing it.

I said "BLAME NANA"

• Like 1

Songs left on my list. some may have been taken.

Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

The Breakfast Club - Right On Track

Pat Benatar - Shadows Of The Night

Night Ranger - When You Close Your Eyes

Culture Club - Do You Really Want To Hurt Me

Irene Cara - Flashdance

Michael Sembello - Maniac

Kajagoogoo - Too Shy

Hall and Oates - Maneater

Hall and Oates - Private Eyes

Alan Parsons Project - Sirius/Eye In The Sky

DOn Felder - Heavy Metal

Don Henley - Dirty Laundry

Jackson Browne - Somebodys Baby

Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now

Mr. Mister - Kyrie

Scandal - The Warrior

Rick Springfield - Dont Talk To Strangers

Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

Madness - Our House

Foreigner - Waiting For A Girl Like You

Elton John - Im Still Standing

Rod Stewart - Infatuation

Cindy Lauper - She Bop

The Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn

Don Henley - Boys Of Summer

Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night

Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky

Olivia Newton John - Physical

Toto - Africa

Beach Boys kokomo

If he words after "too shy" are "can't hide" I know and like all those songs. TBBOM's first rounder on the other hand, I didn't recognize. London Calling. I bet it's one of those gawd-awful punk songs. Gave it a listen. No wonder. Terrible. I don't even recall hating it, but I surely would have.

As a past mobile DJ myself and I'm assuming edjr would agree,a book could be written on sh!t you see as a DJ

I had a father of the bride(older drunk redneck)request Tear In My Beer and told me to keep playing it until he said stop.Well being that he wrote the check I did as instructed and the third time the song was playing the bride comes up and wants to know what the fock I think I'm doing.So I tell her and she promptly makes her way down to her father as I start cuing up another song because I know she's going to get her way.

Anyhow as my head is down I hear a loud crash and some shrieks and look up just in time to see the groom laying in the middle of a collapsed food table.The scuff didn't last long after that and yes i got to start playing other music.

Long ago, I got work doing wedding videos and 90% of them, I'd want to shoot myself cause it was always the same thing, but every now and then you would get a wedding that would go off the rails... :lol:

If he words after "too shy" are "can't hide" I know and like all those songs. TBBOM's first rounder on the other hand, I didn't recognize. London Calling. I bet it's one of those gawd-awful punk songs. Gave it a listen. No wonder. Terrible. I don't even recall hating it, but I surely would have.

If there was ever a post that proves how subjective music is this is :first:

Sacrilege!

Oh no. Tears in my Beer at a wedding and the groom getting the smack put on him at his wedding by his new FiL. :lol:

Just gave London Calling a listen.

Don't think I ever heard it :o

I definitely have heard rock the cash bar though

I personally hate celebration, but fock all if people don't all go bananas if you play it.

And that's what it's all about. People dancing and having fun, make it all worth it.

Did I ever tell you guys I had a grandmother (60s) kept asking me to play Eminem (Nate Dog) - Shake That Ass For me.

I was new to doing weddings and there were maybe, 5 or so kids under 12. I kept blowing her off and not playing.

I only had the "dirty" version.

Finally, 2nd to last song, I was lubed up enough, I let it rip.

Father of one of the young kids wanted to fight me for playing it.

I said "BLAME NANA"

So did you take nana back to your place or hers?

I remember long time ago in a music thread I suggested you take a listen to The Clash Train In Vain,don't know if you did but another great Clash song.

So did you take nana back to your place or hers?

hah!

I have the DJ booth covered for a reason

Wow, how did you guys get through the 80's without hearing this song?

I've heard it, but it's not as recognizable as Should I Stay or Should I Go or Train in Vain

I dunno how a first rounder escaped me.

I have never heard it, of course I wasn't a big fan of that genre...

we were kinda poor growing up and my parents didn't love my brother and I. No radio, only one tv.

Sure there was MTV, which I did have. I heard some of the popular stuff. Maybe in the car, some stuff, michael jackson stuff.

Not until my father remarried in 1987 (I was 15), was I exposed to music. my step mother had 2 older sons, 4 and 7 years older than me.

I fell in love with hair music and it was literally all I listened to. I'd hit the nintendo hard and just listen to hair bands. when I went to sleep, I would have hair bands playing.

I listened to hip hop and other stuff with my younger step brother, (same age as me, slightly younger)

I sh1t you not, when I tell you. Not until Napster and the MP3 craze did I start listening to music, like hard core, all kinds of sh1t. That was about 1998/1999, I was 26 and I lived alone in my own apartment. Thats why I didnt see so many movies you guys are always bringing up. Same reason. Movies are harder to catch up on. That's when I knew I'd be a DJ some day (or wanted to be)

we were kinda poor growing up and my parents didn't love my brother and I. No radio, only one tv.

Sure there was MTV, which I did have. I heard some of the popular stuff. Maybe in the car, some stuff, michael jackson stuff.

Not until my father remarried in 1987 (I was 15), was I exposed to music. my step mother had 2 older sons, 4 and 7 years older than me.

I fell in love with hair music and it was literally all I listened to. I'd hit the nintendo hard and just listen to hair bands. when I went to sleep, I would have hair bands playing.

I listened to hip hop and other stuff with my younger step brother, (same age as me, slightly younger)

I sh1t you not, when I tell you. Not until Napster and the MP3 craze did I start listening to music, like hard core, all kinds of sh1t. That was about 1998/1999, I was 26 and I lived alone in my own apartment. Thats why I didnt see so many movies you guys are always bringing up. Same reason. Movies are harder to catch up on. That's when I knew I'd be a DJ some day (or wanted to be)

Are your parents that couple in California that were just arrested for shackling their kids to the beds?

Are your parents that couple in California that were just arrested for shackling their kids to the beds?

My step mother was evil, evil, evil too, like her 2 oldest were junkies and the youngest was a stoner, all I did was play sports and mind my business and I always got yelled at and punished. :cry:

Da fuq?

My step mother was evil, evil, evil too, like her 2 oldest were junkies and the youngest was a stoner, all I did was play sports and mind my business and I always got yelled at and punished. :cry:

Did you hit it?

I dunno how a first rounder escaped me.

Now that I'm thinking back to that time, I'm realizing that all the music like The Clash, The Cure, Violent Femmes, I pretty much only knew cause my best friends older sister introduced us to all that stuff. Otherwise I probably would have been just listening to Van Halen, Ratt and Poison and the like.

Death or Glory, Wrong Emboyo and Brand New Cadillac blow away TIV and London Calling

Did you hit it?

with my fist, I wanted to. but no. too much of a puss.

I like her now, we get along and she loves my kid,

took a LOOONNNGGG time to let go of that hate

with my fist, I wanted to. but no. too much of a puss.

I like her now, we get along and she loves my kid,

took a LOOONNNGGG time to let go of that hate

I'm no good at that. My hate is built to last. F-em

Released December 79... So TBBOM is pulling one off on us....

But that explains it. When I was eight years old, I was listening to either my mom's eight tracks in her car or country music on the radio in my dad's truck. We didn't have cable until maybe '82. I never heard it.

Then, when the 90s music turned out to be so disappointing, to find new stuff, I started trying to rediscover some music from the 70s. But I was only interested in listening to good music. If I'd wanted crap like this, I'd have stuck with the 90s.

Death or Glory, Wrong Emboyo and Brand New Cadillac blow away TIV and London Calling

What's your favorite Clash tune, if you had to pick one?

I struggle between White Riot and White Man (In Hammersmith Palais). They're such different sounding tunes.

What's your favorite Clash tune, if you had to pick one?

I struggle between White Riot and White Man (In Hammersmith Palais). They're such different sounding tunes.

Stay Free

• Like 1

I'm no good at that. My hate is built to last. F-em

It was her son who died 3 years ago, my best friend growing up.

since then, things have changed.