Sign in to follow this  
bfros

Zeke and NFL talking settlement

I think settling for a lesser penalty is smart when you dont have sufficient evidence to prove guilt. It was dumb to go down this road when the DA dropped the charges because there was insufficient information to pursue charges in criminal court.

As far as I am concerned, if Goodell had good evidence nobody would be concerned about the suspension.

but the evidence is scant at best and his accuser has no credibility.

This is the NFL's best chance to save face. I think they should take it.

I don't think the NFL needs to save face was my point. I think its been shown that people really don't care about this stuff; as I said above sponsors aren't pulling out, people aren't cancelling season tickets, the owners don't want to get players with this rep out of the league, and the players themselves don't want to get guys like this out of the league.

Plus they had a built in excuse to not pursue with the lead investigator, a woman with experience in domestic violence investigation brought in specifically to look into these after the Rice incident (i.e. not a corporate stooge) said the witness was not credible and recommended zero punishment.

The NFL is so big and fans are so indentured to it, that this stuff really doesn't matter I think. I really think they could have done nothing on this, and there would have been zero backlash. But the fact that they voluntarily decided to pursue means that the light is going to be shined on them to see this through, and settling for a lesser penalty than the 6 games that Goodell mandated after the Ray Rice incident, looks more weak than doing nothing at all.

I don't think the NFL needs to save face was my point. I think its been shown that people really don't care about this stuff; as I said above sponsors aren't pulling out, people aren't cancelling season tickets, the owners don't want to get players with this rep out of the league, and the players themselves don't want to get guys like this out of the league.

Plus they had a built in excuse to not pursue with the lead investigator, a woman with experience in domestic violence investigation brought in specifically to look into these after the Rice incident (i.e. not a corporate stooge) said the witness was not credible and recommended zero punishment.

The NFL is so big and fans are so indentured to it, that this stuff really doesn't matter I think. I really think they could have done nothing on this, and there would have been zero backlash. But the fact that they voluntarily decided to pursue means that the light is going to be shined on them to see this through, and settling for a lesser penalty than the 6 games that Goodell mandated after the Ray Rice incident, looks more weak than doing nothing at all.

i think my point is that the Ray rice incident was pretty clear cut. He beat the crap out of her and a lot of that evidence was caught on film.

with Zeke, there is a lot of evidence that suggests that the gal was lying. some of her so called friends have ratted her out and said she's making it up. there's inconsistent testimony.

honestly it is looking like she's a gold digger looking to milk him for cash.

To me this is turning into more of a black eye for the league as they pursue this.

from my perspective, I think if the league can get a 1 or 2 game settlement they should do it.

The reason: this is making them look bad.

If there was good evidence, I'd say throw the book at zeke. Ban him from the league even.

but the evidence is so poor I truly think that you are gonna see women targetting football players with cases that have no substance. Not that that does not happen already, but it will get worse.

I think it's time to put an end to this witch hunt.

No, there isn't zero evidence...there just wasn't enough evidence for a DA to believe it could achieve a conviction.

no, there is actually zero evidence that implicates him.

i was very careful with this for a long time, because i didn't want to side with an abuser. but unless the league has special access to evidence that we have never gotten to see, they have no evidence--just her allegations that he is responsible for her bruises. OTOH, we have numerous statements from eyewitnesses--including her best friend--that all agree she was fabricating those allegations.

new evidence may come out tomorrow that implicates him, and if so, him. but at this point, there is zero implicatory evidence, and a ton of exculpatory evidence.

• Like 1

i was very careful with this for a long time, because i didn't want to side with an abuser. but unless the league has special access to evidence that we have never gotten to see, they have no evidence--just her allegations that he is responsible for her bruises. OTOH, we have numerous statements from eyewitnesses--including her best friend--that all agree she was fabricating those allegations.

new evidence may come out tomorrow that implicates him, and if so, ###### him. but at this point, there is zero implicatory evidence, and a ton of exculpatory evidence.

Employers don't need their employees to be jailed first if they want to suspent that employee.

new evidence may come out tomorrow that implicates him, and if so, ###### him. but at this point, there is zero implicatory evidence, and a ton of exculpatory evidence.

This.

and trust me... I had Ray Rice on my roster at the time his beating surfaced and I was glad to see an indefinite suspension.

This is not about defending a guy who may be guilty. This is about stopping a suspension that on the surface really seems to be rather arbitrary.

I get that Zeke has done other stupid stuff and Goodell was probably itching to suspend him for something, but I really think he picked the wrong hill do die on (to coin a phrase)

i think my point is that the Ray rice incident was pretty clear cut. He beat the crap out of her and a lot of that evidence was caught on film.

with Zeke, there is a lot of evidence that suggests that the gal was lying. some of her so called friends have ratted her out and said she's making it up. there's inconsistent testimony.

honestly it is looking like she's a gold digger looking to milk him for cash.

To me this is turning into more of a black eye for the league as they pursue this.

from my perspective, I think if the league can get a 1 or 2 game settlement they should do it.

The reason: this is making them look bad.

If there was good evidence, I'd say throw the book at zeke. Ban him from the league even.

but the evidence is so poor I truly think that you are gonna see women targetting football players with cases that have no substance. Not that that does not happen already, but it will get worse.

I think it's time to put an end to this witch hunt.

I disagree and say the opposite.

even if they lose in the courts system, from a PR standpoint there's a certain strength in being able to say they went to bat for the maximum. That way you can tell the women's rights groups (pander to in my opinion, but that's beside the point) that the league will pursue these to the fullest extent of their powers and will not cave because its convenient for one of the league's star players or one of its central teams.

By taking a reduced sentence I think they look even weaker, and lose any kind of good will they've built up to groups that actually care about this stuff.

But that's my opinion.

By taking a reduced sentence I think they look even weaker, and lose any kind of good will they've built up to groups that actually care about this stuff.

By taking a reduced sentence, Zeke would (still) be admitting to something... Zeke has made it abundantly clear, this is about his reputation and his character - to be labeled as a "Woman Beater" to any degree is not acceptable... Nor should it be, assuming he is totally innocent as he claims. From what we have, there's no reason to suggests he's not.

Anyone here willing to be labeled a woman beater? Even if it was just a little bit of one? .................. Yea, me neither. Like said - that doesn't wash off.

By taking a reduced sentence, Zeke would (still) be admitting to something... Zeke has made it abundantly clear, this is about his reputation and his character - to be labeled as a "Woman Beater" to any degree is not acceptable... Nor should it be, assuming he is totally innocent as he claims. From what we have, there's no reason to suggests he's not.

Anyone here willing to be labeled a woman beater? Even if it was just a little bit? .................. Yea, me neither. Like said - that doesn't wash off.

I agree with what you say, but I should clarify that I'm not arguing for or against that.

I was merely making the case that if the league really wants to get this stuff out of their image, then taking a reduced sentence for one of its star players on one of its star teams, is not the route to go. They would have been fine in my opinion to do nothing, but considering they decided to take this case on even knowing that the evidence is thin, then settling looks weak.

I was merely making the case that if the league really wants to get this stuff out of their image, then taking a reduced sentence for one of its star players on one of its star teams, is not the route to go. They would have been fine in my opinion to do nothing, but considering they decided to take this case on even knowing that the evidence is thin, then settling looks weak.

Agreed........ That being said, I never really believed the rumors of a settlement anyway... A League that went full out for a deflated football, that same League kicking around a compromise on an issue 100x more controversial and sensitive? Yea, not buying it.

Rog and the League are dug in, and bcoz of Ray Rice - they can not back down...... Zeke will eventually lose and he will eventually have to serve 6.

He's cleared to play in week 8.

The case will be heard on Monday. My money is he plays all season and i still believe he'll play all season.

He's cleared to play in week 8.

The case will be heard on Monday. My money is he plays all season and i still believe he'll play all season.

Hope he pulls a Brady regardless afterward.

The only question is when will it happen next.. Both Columbus and FL and what is wrong with pulling a women's sweater over her head? I think the first woman made the story worse as it got bitter, but I believe Zeke has shown he will believe what Zeke does all females enjoy.

He is also one of the best RBs ever, and I do not remember what the Pitt QB received for his bathroom actions years ago, but if done today he should be given 15 games more than Zeke will end up doing.

amusing factoid: every investigator who has looked at the case--including the NFL's own investigator, the police, and the prosecutor's office--has determined that the accuser was lying.

but some people--even posters here--seem to think that they know more than the investigators.

:lol:

amusing factoid: every investigator who has looked at the case--including the NFL's own investigator, the police, and the prosecutor's office--has determined that the accuser was lying.

but some people--even posters here--seem to think that they know more than the investigators.

:lol:

I think the point that you're overlooking is that, at least in their own eyes, the league doesn't need that same standard of evidence as in a criminal or civil case in order to hand down punishment. The league is operating under the presumption that because it was granted to them in the CBA, that they can issue punishment unchecked by merely the presence of improprieties.

That's the basis for most of the conversation on here. I don't agree either that the evidence warrants the penalty, but I'm capable of advocating for the league's position (even just purely for debate's sake) based on the powers that the players themselves afforded them.

You see the difference.

I think the point that you're overlooking is that, at least in their own eyes, the league doesn't need that same standard of evidence as in a criminal or civil case in order to hand down punishment. The league is operating under the presumption that because it was granted to them in the CBA, that they can issue punishment unchecked by merely the presence of improprieties.

That's the basis for most of the conversation on here. I don't agree either that the evidence warrants the penalty, but I'm capable of advocating for the league's position (even just purely for debate's sake) based on the powers that the players themselves afforded them.

You see the difference.

you're giving 'the league' too much credit. goodell is operating under the presumption that there are no procedural requirements at all (which is correct), and therefore that he can assign discipline without any infraction having been committed (which he can), in order to compensate for the personal humiliation he suffered due to his fecklessness in the ray rice case.

this is all an exercise in virtue signaling.

you're giving 'the league' too much credit. goodell is operating under the presumption that there are no procedural requirements at all (which is correct), and therefore that he can assign discipline without any infraction having been committed (which he can), in order to compensate for the personal humiliation he suffered due to his fecklessness in the ray rice case.

this is all an exercise in virtue signaling.

I'm not giving the league any credit, I don't think they he should be suspended at all either.

However, for argument's sake, you can debate what is best for their position based on what their argument is, and what they are trying to accomplish here.

That's why I can argue that the league should not settle and instead continue to pursue this 6 game suspension, without having to personally agree with that position.

I know David Moore and others have indicated a possible settlement in the case - but does anyone actually believe that, really? I don't, not for one second..... Would love to know who these "sources" are leaking this stuff out.

I'm not giving the league any credit, I don't think they he should be suspended at all either.

However, for argument's sake, you can debate what is best for their position based on what their argument is, and what they are trying to accomplish here.

That's why I can argue that the league should not settle and instead continue to pursue this 6 game suspension, without having to personally agree with that position.

since your previous "...you're overlooking..." post wasn't germane to the point that i was making, i didn't feel obligated to engage with you on yours.

strategically, the NFL is backed into a corner, given that the CBA is expiring and a work stoppage is very likely. for the NFLPA, the key issues are the cap, the substance policy, and goodell's arbitrary power to discipline. any sign of weakness on the part of the league on any of these issues will give the NFLPA leverage in negotiations, which is a severe disincentive to compromise. from a business perspective, goodell is not backing down because he cannot. but that doesn't change the fact that he disregarded the findings of his own investigator and decided to discipline in the absence of evidence. the only rational explanation for this is an attempt to expiate previous misconduct.

I know David Moore and others have indicated a possible settlement in the case - but does anyone actually believe that, really? I don't, not for one second..... Would love to know who these "sources" are leaking this stuff out.

per fish, elliott has unequivocally stated that he is fighting to clear his name and will not even accept a 1-game token suspension.

per fish, elliott has unequivocally stated that he is fighting to clear his name and will not even accept a 1-game token suspension.

I agree with him. Everyone already knows he is innocent, the law included. Its just clowns like a few guys here who still condemn him and it pisses him off. Get labeled an abuser and you are an abuser for life. I’d accept no less than a formal apology from the nfl and recognition that he is not an abuser. I wouldn’t settle for even 1 missed snap.

• Like 1

since your previous "...you're overlooking..." post wasn't germane to the point that i was making, i didn't feel obligated to engage with you on yours.

strategically, the NFL is backed into a corner, given that the CBA is expiring and a work stoppage is very likely. for the NFLPA, the key issues are the cap, the substance policy, and goodell's arbitrary power to discipline. any sign of weakness on the part of the league on any of these issues will give the NFLPA leverage in negotiations, which is a severe disincentive to compromise. from a business perspective, goodell is not backing down because he cannot. but that doesn't change the fact that he disregarded the findings of his own investigator and decided to discipline in the absence of evidence. the only rational explanation for this is an attempt to expiate previous misconduct.

the players are not going to challenge Goodell on the discipline thing in lieu of fighting their much bigger issues like revenue sharing, medical/substances, etc. They lost a lot of money on the previous CBA negotiations and they already have the weakest sports union so they have to make up ground on those more pressing issues. The punishment thing affects a very small number of people in a union that has several thousand people in it; they're not striking and giving up paychecks to protect those few guys.

the only way I think Goodell loses this is if the owners decide they don't want him to have it, which wouldn't be that far fetched considering Goodell picked fights with three of the biggest owners on this in Kraft, Mara, and Jones.

For sure. Like I've said, any suspension at all labels him a woman beater forever. Whether it's 1 game or 6, no difference - the label is the same - life long tag.

Like I said also, anyone here want to be called just a minor woman beater?

For sure. Like I've said, any suspension at all labels him a woman beater forever. Whether it's 1 game or 6, no difference - the label is the same - life long tag.

Like I said also, anyone here want to be called just a minor woman beater?

Nope. But I don't put myself into compromising situations with sketchy characters. Elliott is an expert at that. The crap he has gotten himself into is his fault. I don't feel even a bit sorry for his idiotic self.

Nope. But I don't put myself into compromising situations with sketchy characters. Elliott is an expert at that. The crap he has gotten himself into is his fault. I don't feel even a bit sorry for his idiotic self.

I'm sure he'll sleep just fine knowing your pity is reserved. :lol:

I'm sure he'll sleep just fine knowing your pity is reserved. :lol:

And he will have a lot of time to sleep during his well deserved suspension. :overhead:

And he will have a lot of time to sleep during his well deserved suspension. :overhead:

I'd say even you are smart enuff to know its not deserved, not on what has been declared - but that's quite a monumental leap.

I'd say after hearing you that you are not smart enough to know what is what.

You are undoubtedly one of the most clueless posters I've seen here - and that's saying something, going back bear 20 years. Move along kid.

Folks, go read the reports on both the NFL investigation and police reports.

I'm not saying he didn't do it, but all evidence point to the contrary. She's been caught lying. She's been caught trying to blackmail him. She's left a trail of evidence pointing to her being a nutcase.

The NFL handed him a 6 game suspension when Josh Brown was given the initial ONE GAME suspension for a decade of abuse on his wife.

Something stinks about this suspension and it's more than meets the eye.

• Like 1

Again, the NFL DOES NOT have to prove that he was guilty of a crime...they only have to prove that his conduct was detrimental to the image of the league and warranting of a suspension. Maybe in this case the league thinks that privileged punk-asses should know better than to hang around with skanky black-mailing hoes?! People need to come off the "there's no evidence to even file charges" track, it's not about that. The NFLPA is reaping what they sowed in the last CBA, and the NFL offices are using it as their crucifix to banish all the demons they find.

A. Did the NFL act in accordance with the CBA? yes

B. Is this the conclusion that the courts will ultimately come to? yes

Outside of a settlement, he is going to serve a 6 game suspension. It's just a matter of when.