Sign in to follow this  
Vince44

American Beauty pulled from movie channel

American Beauty was scheduled to air tonight at 9pm EST on "Encore" but it was replaced by an airing of some show with Kelsey Grammar.

Shame on them! Oscar winning film. I was planning on watching and felt kinda disappointed.

One of my favorite written movies. That sucks that coward down. If you've ever a read a screen play and want to write one, that's a gem.

Contrived nonsense that went nowhere. Ooh look, the strong military man is a repressed homo and the mother has checked out mentally and the kid is weird but harmless and just wants to be loved. Garbage.

Contrived nonsense that went nowhere. Ooh look, the strong military man is a repressed homo and the mother has checked out mentally and the kid is weird but harmless and just wants to be loved. Garbage.

Give us a list of 5 good movies to watch

Give us a list of 5 good movies to watch

Top of my head:

Goodfellas

Groundhog Day

Blazing Saddles

The Usual Suspects

Diner

Poor left. Tear it all down. Whatever bothers you. There will always be more. What a complete and utter bunch of losers.

Good casting on the neighbor. That guy creeps me out something fierce. In literally every movie I've ever seen with him in it. I don't know how a guy like him looks in the mirror and one day says, I'm going to be an actor! They literally couldn't find him doing anything so weird that I would be surprised that he was doing it.

The grateful dead album? Workingman's dead is better anyway

Ive wanted to rewatch this for a while because I recall really liking it when I saw it in theaters but I have a feeling it wont have aged that well. The Ice Storm from that same era has some similar themes and is probably the better film.

Ive wanted to rewatch this for a while because I recall really liking it when I saw it in theaters but I have a feeling it wont have aged that well. The Ice Storm from that same era has some similar themes and is probably the better film.

Ive seen it a few times, and liked it more with each viewing. The themes of the movie are kinda timeless, the actors excellent, and it doesn't rely on special effects, so why wouldn't it age well?

Ive seen it a few times, and liked it more with each viewing. The themes of the movie are kinda timeless, the actors excellent, and it doesn't rely on special effects, so why wouldn't it age well?

The themes are simple and have been done to death. Young vixen, repressed gay man, mid-life crisis I quit my job, suburban infidelity and on and on. Obvious tripe. Oooh look, the suburbs aren't what they seem inside those nice houses. Blech

• Like 1

The themes are simple and have been done to death. Young vixen, repressed gay man, mid-life crisis I quit my job, suburban infidelity and on and on. Obvious tripe. Oooh look, the suburbs aren't what they seem inside those nice houses. Blech

I think it's a bit more complex than that. Here is a nice summary: http://www.gradesaver.com/american-beauty/study-guide/themes

It's all personal taste, so there are no right answers, but a heck of a lot of people thought it was a great film.

I think it's a bit more complex than that. Here is a nice summary: http://www.gradesaver.com/american-beauty/study-guide/themes

It's all personal taste, so there are no right answers, but a heck of a lot of people thought it was a great film.

Like I said, themes that have been done to death and all crammed into one movie. Stupid fockin bag floating? Whats that attempting to say? Watched it twice because I thought it may have got by me. It didn't. Seen it all before. Unoriginal.

Like I said, themes that have been done to death and all crammed into one movie. Stupid fockin bag floating? Whats that attempting to say? Watched it twice because I thought it may have got by me. It didn't. Seen it all before. Unoriginal.

I think the bag was commenting on happiness/beauty being in the simple things, stuff that people even throw away. The movie was highly critical of materialism and the contrast between appearance and reality - if we all took a little time to stop and smell the roses rather than keeping up with the Joneses we might be a lot happier.

Regardless of what you think it means, it's a very memorable scene.

No. Middle aged guy wakes up one morning and busts one in the shower to fulfill his daiy grind and realizes he's not, or his relationship with his wife or daughter is close to what it was when he was the happiest. Hits a mid life crisis point in life and makes good on not sitting on the thresholds of being and has some fun. Wife's a kvnt. Daughter is distant. Realizes the writing on the wall and makes choices many would want to but don't.

Unfortunately for him, there's a Nazi living next door that is a fawking phag that kills him when he begins to understand how to deal with getting old. His daughter was within reach even though her best friend was a slut that he wanted to fawk him, creepy.

Don't or can't remember a story line like that.

Also, I met Sorvina at a restaurant here. She's tiny. I couldn't stop staring at her chest thinking of those puffy aeriolas. :love:

I think the bag was commenting on happiness/beauty being in the simple things, stuff that people even throw away. The movie was highly critical of materialism and the contrast between appearance and reality - if we all took a little time to stop and smell the roses rather than keeping up with the Joneses we might be a lot happier.

Regardless of what you think it means, it's a very memorable scene.

I've seen episodes of the Simpsons with more depth.

I liked it when I saw it in theaters back in 1999. Today, I suspect Id find Kevin Spaceys predicament to be a little trite. Hes some rich guy whos got an unhappy marriage and feels he hasnt led the life he wanted. So what?

I recently rewatched The Graduate and found Dustin Hoffman to be whiny, entitled and narcissistic. Im wondering if Id feel the same way about AB? Thats all. Maybe it holds up great and I end up loving it.

No. Middle aged guy wakes up one morning and busts one in the shower to fulfill his daiy grind and realizes he's not, or his relationship with his wife or daughter is close to what it was when he was the happiest. Hits a mid life crisis point in life and makes good on not sitting on the thresholds of being and has some fun. Wife's a kvnt. Daughter is distant. Realizes the writing on the wall and makes choices many would want to but don't.

Unfortunately for him, there's a Nazi living next door that is a fawking phag that kills him when he begins to understand how to deal with getting old. His daughter was within reach even though her best friend was a slut that he wanted to fawk him, creepy.

Don't or can't remember a story line like that.

Also, I met Sorvina at a restaurant here. She's tiny. I couldn't stop staring at her chest thinking of those puffy aeriolas. :love:

I'll let Wiffleball handle this one.

The scene when she's singing that rain on my parade song after focking the king....and pulling up to the pontiac?? That's great movie making and a phenomenal scene

I watched American Beauty about 6 months ago for the 2nd time and it was still entertaining.

It obviously wasn't as good as the first time since I knew what was coming.

None of us are surprised that HT hates the gay marine. In his world, fake marines are the straightest, most macho men on the planet.

I watched American Beauty about 6 months ago for the 2nd time and it was still entertaining.

None of us are surprised that HT hates the gay marine. In his world, fake marines are the straightest, most macho men on the planet.

Look at you, going the fake Marine route. No wonder you like unoriginal garbage like AB. Was it the Asian woman/white guy creepy stereotype comment I made that made you said? And I've been meaning to ask, can you tell us how much you hate GW Bush again? It gets even better after the 400th time I bet.

Look at you, going the fake Marine route. No wonder you like unoriginal garbage like AB. Was it the Asian woman/white guy creepy stereotype comment I made that made you said? And I've been meaning to ask, can you tell us how much you hate GW Bush again? It gets even better after the 400th time I bet.

Wtf are you babbling about?

HT is angry at the world

Wtf are you babbling about?

Wrong guy. You unoriginal types are hard to tell apart. Who are you again?

HT is angry at the world

Happy as a clam. Laying in bed with my wife and kids with two wins in my pocket. Just about clinched a playoff spot in my 5k league.

Happy as a clam. Laying in bed with my wife and kids with two wins in my pocket. Just about clinched a playoff spot in my 5k league.

Good. Take that feeling and apply it to life. Too short to be angry at everything

Good. Take that feeling and apply it to life. Too short to be angry at everything

Thanks kid. I'll keep that in mind while I'm not working tomorrow. Get some sleep. I remember Monday's sucking.

Thanks kid. I'll keep that in mind while I'm not working tomorrow. Get some sleep. I remember Monday's sucking.

Step one dude. You'll get there. Try to not get mad about something tomorrow. You can do it

Step one dude. You'll get there. Try to not get mad about something tomorrow. You can do it

Gotcha. Don't know if I'll go to the gym at 10 or 11. See what my sons diaper situation is .

Gotcha. Don't know if I'll go to the gym at 10 or 11. See what my sons diaper situation is .

Take him with you. Chicks dig dads that are good with kids

Take him with you. Chicks dig dads that are good with kids

I don't like handing him off to the child care lady then he gets a dirty smelly diaper. Courtesy.

Let me get this straight: HT is laying in bed next to his wife while having an online slapfight?

Let me get this straight: HT is laying in bed next to his wife while having an online slapfight?

She's sleeping fockchop. What a dik