Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Should the Beastie Boys get in the Rock & Roll HoF?

Assuming, you think their rock- and punk-influenced rap would qualify for the "Rock & Roll HoF" do you think they would merit inclusion in it? Using their first full length album they would be eligible in 2011.

The Beastie Boys are equally influential in rock and rap music history—their blending of rap and punk rock genres could be seen as a precursor to the rapcore and nu metal genres of the late 1990s, such as Limp Bizkit and KoЯn.The band recognised their influence on the new movements, and expressed their dislike for them in the track Alive, featured in their "The Sounds of Science" anthology ("Created a monster with these rhymes I write / Goatee metal rap please say goodnight").

The band was also a leader in the use of sampling techniques—with Paul's Boutique being notable for its effective use of samples. The influence of this album can be seen on Beck's 1996 Odelay album (also produced by the Dust Brothers).

In the 90's they were setting trends with mixed skater, hip hop urban wear or as some dub "Skaballer".

The chart consistency of the Beastie Boys must also be acknowledged—they have had four albums reach the top of the Billboard album charts: Licensed to Ill, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty and To The 5 Boroughs since 1986. Few, if any, of the Beastie Boys' contemporaries have matched this feat.

Prolly the hardest group to categorize evah. Growing up in the late 80's early 90's I absolutely loved the Beastie Boys, and would consider them more Rock/Punk than Rap. So I say YES. :dunno:

If they didn't make it in, it would be

SABOTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:doublethumbsup: :clap: yo yo yo

let it flo, let youself go, slow and low that is the tempo :wub:

Sure, why not.

It became meaningless once The Lovin' Spoonful got in.

Yea, never thought rock and roll hall of fame meant anything, I thought it was just an attraction or museum that people can visit.

Once they did Check Your Head"...you damn right.

Plus Paul's Boutique is top 5 albums ever!

:banana:

Am I the only one who is just completely irritated by the mere existence of the 'rock and roll hof'? :banana:

It reminds me of random websites or magazines that come up with the top 100 all time whatever lists

which are then reported and we focking argue about. I mean you focking argue about.

If they do, I hope the first nuke hits Cleveland.

Hey, Ladies! :pointstosky:

If Ozzie Smith gets in first ballot, the Beastie Boys should be a lock

Dang, I was shitfaced when I bumped this. In fact, I'm still a little buzzed. :pointstosky:

Dang, I was shitfaced when I bumped this. In fact, I'm still a little buzzed. :pointstosky:

right there with ya...:headbanger:

The Beasite Boys are who we thought they were. Quite simply, fun as hell. Are they some group that will go down as the most earth shattering musical group ever? No. But music doesn't always have to be serious. It can be fun; and the Beastie Boys were really fun music. For a long time. :headbanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g&feature=player_detailpage

Since Chaka fuckin Khan was nominated I think it is a fair shake to say the BBs should have a good shot at it.

A joke is not a strong enough word to describe the RR HOF

Lol, The Jackson 5 got in. This opened the door to anybody with a music video or two in. Like Rod Stewart for example.

So why not the Beastie Boys? :dunno:

yes, definitely! why not?