Sign in to follow this  
graphix28

Anyone else think McKinnon can steal the job this weekend?

Which RB is he?

30-51 vs Eagles

14-115 vs Lions

In three starts, he has four TD's, so he can find the endzone. He also has 10 receptions. He's worth rolling the dice on. I think he'll get a at least 2-3 games to see what he can do. If he fails miserably, they'll put in McKinnon more. Personally, I think Asiata will be fine. He should be a respectable RB2 the rest of the way, while McKinnon gets a few carries to give him a breather.

There should be plenty of carries to go around, last time i checked they were stilll rolling out matt cassell

It's funny how you can tell the dynasty folks from the redraft folks in a single thread. Or better stated, the people who have actually done due diligence versus those who just regurgitate whatever nonsense they hear.

I went to the same school as McKinnon, so I probably have seen him more than most and know more about him than most. It doesn't make me right, but I think I have a pretty good handle on him. The dude played QB, RB, WR and DB in college. He is a freak athlete, but more importantly he is a GREAT football player.

There is plenty of information out there on how he has impressed everyone on his team from the head coaches, positional coaches, AP and many others.

He is raw because he played more QB (running) than anything else, but he also has a high football IQ from playing all the other positions. It will take some time, but he will be an impact player for the Vikings.

He can also pass, so don't be surprised if you see some wrinkle on an end around with a deep toss to Patterson at some point. Or the wildcat. The dude has EXTREME potential. Will he be successful this year, that remains to be seen.

But anyone posting that "he sux" or "great athlete <> great football player " and all the other garbage is either ignorant or a moron. So, just ignore them!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

I don't see anybody in this thread suggesting he shouldn't be owned or at least monitored in dynasty. The context of this thread is clearly about his value this season, where, as you also suggest, he's certainly got some work to do.

The comment by Norv saying they're going to go with the hot hand sunday really had me concerned combined with my belief that Asiata just isn't very good. But I think the fact that the saints are going to be putting up points, Minny is going to have to throw, and McKinnon is a less effective pass blocker makes me feel safer about Asiata this week. I don't feel very safe about him after this week though.

• Like 1

The comment by Norv saying they're going to go with the hot hand sunday really had me concerned combined with my belief that Asiata just isn't very good. But I think the fact that the saints are going to be putting up points, Minny is going to have to throw, and McKinnon is a less effective pass blocker makes me feel safer about Asiata this week. I don't feel very safe about him after this week though.

Very good point. I forgot about that!

That's the big question for me, is Asiata even capable of having the 'hot hand'. Several people on this board have said he has looked OK but there's another camp that says he's looked like a plodder. I haven't seen any Vikings games yet so I can't comment on it.

Coach speak.

Don't all coaches say the same chit?

McKinnon didn't exactly light things up on Sunday, either: 4 carries, 12 yards. I think the Vikings would be thrilled if either guy gave them even a slightly warm and clammy hand this week.

I don't see anybody in this thread suggesting he shouldn't be owned or at least monitored in dynasty. The context of this thread is clearly about his value this season, where, as you also suggest, he's certainly got some work to do.

There are plenty of people saying he has no value or that he sux. My reference to dynasty was simply that those who are forced to research rookies are much more knowledgeable about rookies, than those who only know the Sammy Watkins of the world...

It's week 3... Anyone who doesn't think he will have significant value by mid year, will be sorely mistaken!

Will, it be this week. I don't know, it could be. My guess is he is 2-3 weeks away, but you always want to buy before someone breaks out and that time is now.

• Like 1

What is "significant"? Are you expecting him to top out at 8 touches a week? 10? 15? Does he completely marginalize Asiata? If you're going to suggest that people are dopes for not thinking he has value in redraft, let's establish what "significant value" is.

What is "significant"? Are you expecting him to top out at 8 touches a week? 10? 15? Does he completely marginalize Asiata? If you're going to suggest that people are dopes for not thinking he has value in redraft, let's establish what "significant value" is.

I think you'll get a better feel for it in the next couple weeks, but I would say 15-20 touches/week and probably a few passes sprinkled in. This is assuming AP doesn't come back.

I think you'll get a better feel for it in the next couple weeks, but I would say 15-20 touches/week and probably a few passes sprinkled in. This is assuming AP doesn't come back.

Okay. I guess I'll believe that when I see it. I think you have the most optimistic take on his likely outcome for this season out of anyone I've read.

There are plenty of people saying he has no value or that he sux. My reference to dynasty was simply that those who are forced to research rookies are much more knowledgeable about rookies, than those who only know the Sammy Watkins of the world...

It's week 3... Anyone who doesn't think he will have significant value by mid year, will be sorely mistaken!

Will, it be this week. I don't know, it could be. My guess is he is 2-3 weeks away, but you always want to buy before someone breaks out and that time is now.

Just to add to your thought for those that are exclusively in redraft leagues. Folks that play in dynasty/keeper leagues also look for value in the long term as potential starters.

I personally had the choice between Asiata and McKinnon last week when the ADP first broke and went with McKinnon. I thought then (and still do now) that he has much more long term potential. If ADP doesn't recover from his legal issues, McKinnon might become starter for this year and years to come. :shocking:

IMHO, much more upside for my bench spot than Asiata based on my team's long term needs. :banana:

McKinnon didn't exactly light things up on Sunday, either: 4 carries, 12 yards. I think the Vikings would be thrilled if either guy gave them even a slightly warm and clammy hand this week.

Lol - sounds about right.

Everyone does realize that McKinnon is really raw. Most of his college work came from running the option. Yes he's super athletic and may eventually be the man but his lack of pass protection skills and experience lead me to believe he's just a roll player this year.

Lol - sounds about right.

when a game gets out of hand a.k.a freeman last night..opposing teams will anticipate the run and stack the box. I think a lot of people over judge players

Everyone does realize that McKinnon is really raw. Most of his college work came from running the option. Yes he's super athletic and may eventually be the man but his lack of pass protection skills and experience lead me to believe he's just a roll player this year.

I am not so sure about this and his rep as a QB, yes he did that but I recall the GA Sou. / Florida game last year and he was one of several backs. They ran all over the Gators too, even beat them, and he was a big part of that.

One key talent for a RB is to hit the whole and burst past the line into the second level, I think he has that.

The hot hand comment I think is coach speak.

Tomlin said it with Bell, Rams OC said it with Stacy.

What in last weeks game makes you think they expect McKinnon to do anything?

The coach in OAK said he was going the hot hand last week and L.Murray just just a few carries. We will see, I dont expect much this weekend but we can see if he is better the few times they trot him out there

The hot hand comment I think is coach speak.

Tomlin said it with Bell, Rams OC said it with Stacy.

What in last weeks game makes you think they expect McKinnon to do anything?

Last week, they thought they had AP and then they didn't. Not sure what last weeks game has to do with anything, as they were bringing him along slowly as any team with an unquestioned stud would with a rookie.

Now, they don't have a stud at all, so he will have to do more. I expect this week, he will see 10+ touches and I think they will grow each week until he takes over sometime around week 6-8.

You people saying McKinnon is "raw" and needs time to develop are nuts. It's as if he was a 7'2" college basketball recruit from Senegal who didn't start playing basketball until he was 16. Give me a break. He rushed for nearly 4,000 yards in college. What he will be is very close to what he is now. And we'll find out what that is very soon.

Think a bunch of you guys should get some mckinnon jerseys, meet up this sunday and cheer him on. Your going to have to cheer pretty loud so he can hear you on the sideline

• Like 1

I cut him for Khiry Robinson. That was a waste if 2 dollars picking him up for a week and then cutting him. I like his talent a lot though. I'll keep him on my watch list along with Ladarius Green who I also cut. Can't believe I didn't draft Gates in my leagues. Wanted to and then talked myself out of it. Sorry, off topic, but I'm on a roll.

I picked up Asiata when the AP news first broke. Then I added McKinnon this week following the removal of AP from the team and all activities. I'm covering all bets after I have had three RBs suffer injuries already. I will be watching to see if all the hype surrounding McKinnon is justified but I know if he can't pick up the blitz he won't see the field much. No matter how bad the Vikings QBs are no coach is going to risk losing a QB. Unless McKinnon outperforms Asiata by leaps and bounds and is adequate in pass protection I don't see anything less than a 70/30 split in favor of Asiata this week. I'm going to start him at flex in place of Gerhart who has a good matchup but hasn't shown anything so far. Unless I decide to plug in Golden Tate and avoid all of it this week.

Is it me or is this kid not football fast? When I watch him on tape he doesn't seem fast to me. Also be doesn't really break tackles. I'm hoping Ellington 2.0 but odds are he's Christine Michael 2.0 aka all hype.

• Like 1

I had Palmer in one league and the minute he was a scratch and something was said about possible nerve damage in his shoulder that was enough for me. :shocking:

I had him pegged for a great season and fear a Cutler injury in my 6pt TD league. The pickings are slim at QB on the wire. Want to see something after the BYE or cut bait.

Would love to grab McKinnon behind Asiata but I just can't bring myself to cut Carson Palmer.

Id cut Palmer quick like.

You do know Palmer has a brachial plexus injury. If you don't know what that is then you should google it and then drop him once you know what it is. Not a good thing to have at all. Especially as an NFL Qb in his throwing arm

Id cut Palmer quick like.

That was meant to be directed at this statement

"Would love to grab McKinnon behind Asiata but I just can't bring myself to cut Carson Palmer."

You do know Palmer has a brachial plexus injury. If you don't know what that is then you should google it and then drop him once you know what it is. Not a good thing to have at all. Especially as an NFL Qb in his throwing arm

You people saying McKinnon is "raw" and needs time to develop are nuts. It's as if he was a 7'2" college basketball recruit from Senegal who didn't start playing basketball until he was 16. Give me a break. He rushed for nearly 4,000 yards in college. What he will be is very close to what he is now. And we'll find out what that is very soon.

Mostly as an option quarterback, though, right? Working as a pro-style tailback is a lot different, especially between the tackles. I would expect that right now he'd be most effective on plays designed to get him to the outside: tosses, jet sweeps, end-arounds, etc. That's well and good, but you can't be a workhorse on those kinds of plays.

I really want to drop this guy and grab D. Adams from Green Bay. I'm just nervous he actually is going to steal the job somehow.

I don't necessarily think MIN is good, but they are 1-1... I don't think it's time to pack up shop on this season quite yet.

Well, yeah the coaches are believing they have a shot but we know better. They will be 1-2 after NO this week, then 1-3 after the Falcons. Then 1-4 At GB, Then 1-5 At Lions. By Week 8 they're 2-6. I'd be surprised, if AP hasn't returned by then, and they still using these mediocre players.

Cassel IS NOT Hoyer. Hoyer is keeping Johnny Manziel on the bench right now.

TB will be starting soon. Predict by week 6. If Cassel can stay upright that long.

As if I have to say it: JMHO

Honestly at this point they need to start Mckinnon and Bridgwater right now along with rudolph and patterson. They are being stupid by doing anything less. For better or for worse this could be the team of the future for you and if your going to be in the middle of a lost season anyways why not get them game time to gel for that future?

• Like 1

No. Asiata will remain Minnesota's version of Toby Gerhardt.

I see Gerhardt is now beginning to be dropped. Lol. Again, the experts knew not what they were saying.

Jump on Douug Martin...

In fact, top 5 were who? Charles, Lacy, Ball, and so on.

Mostly as an option quarterback, though, right?

He played RB.

Kevin Ellison was the GSU QB.