Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

I don't necessarily disagree, but Flynn screams "system QB" just like Kolb did. Kolb may still come around, the guy barely had any time in the system in AZ, but it's not looking good so far. Flynn was a 7th round pick for a reason and the guy is getting pretty good salary based on two games in one of the most potent offenses in the league. Caveat emptor.

Edit: this isn't a Seattle hate thing...I'd say this regardless of what time Flynn went to. I still find it curious that the Dolphins didn't play a bigger role in the Flynn final destination due to the Philbin connection. :dunno:

I was concerned about a system QB issue as well, but after the signing, Flynn was talking how comfortable he felt the fit was with Seattle after meeting with Carroll, Schneider and O.C. Bevell because they are going to be running almost the same system as Green Bay. So if he excels in that system, and moves into a facsimile, it might just work out pretty well. He will have some good WRs and TE to throw to, and what looks like one of the better running attacks in the league.

I understand the skepticism. I may still be rowing in that boat. For now, this is about as good of a move this team could have made for a QB. Based on the information we are coming across.

Miami lowballed Flynn. They may have the worst front office in the league. Nobody wants to go there, seemingly.

Per Twitter, ESPN:

RB Michael Bush from Oakland will visit Seattle on Tuesday.

TE Jacob Tamme from Indy has also scheduled an upcoming visit.

Manning to Denver. We just need Miami not to shoot themselves in the d!ck and close the deal with Alex Smith. Then, SF is screwed, screwed, screwed.

Per Twitter, ESPN:

RB Michael Bush from Oakland will visit Seattle on Tuesday.

I like him, but his productivity is on the wane. First time his YPA dipped below 4.0 (it was 3.8, on 256 carries, almost double his prior high). He was 27 yrs old last year. If we sign him it had better be a 1-yr deal, nothing more.

Lol @ seachickens as superbowl contender. If that's the case, every team is a superbowl contender. Go back and eat some more skittles. You guys aren't going anywhere.

And Manning isn't going to San Francisco. Think Alex Smith can do it again? I dont. :wave:

Miami could do you guys a big favor though.

I was concerned about a system QB issue as well, but after the signing, Flynn was talking how comfortable he felt the fit was with Seattle after meeting with Carroll, Schneider and O.C. Bevell because they are going to be running almost the same system as Green Bay. So if he excels in that system, and moves into a facsimile, it might just work out pretty well. He will have some good WRs and TE to throw to, and what looks like one of the better running attacks in the league.

I understand the skepticism. I may still be rowing in that boat. For now, this is about as good of a move this team could have made for a QB. Based on the information we are coming across.

Miami lowballed Flynn. They may have the worst front office in the league. Nobody wants to go there, seemingly.

I will say this, the Seahawks front office is going about it their way. They really weren't far off from being in the playoff mix and if Flynn works out moderately well with the talent they have at the skill positions, they could definitely be a factor.

Not to piss in anybody's cheerios, but I was watching The Packer/Lions game Flynn blew up in and I wasn't really impressed.

Jordy Nelson went OFF. He caught 3 of those TD's and all three plays were made by Jordy. Another TD was Grant scoring on a long screen pass. On the Driver TD, Flynn did put the ball in the right place and Driver got behind the defense.

I was impressed with his ability to buy time with his feet and escape from pressure. Very limited arm (which has been widely reported). He was doing a good job putting the ball where only the much taller Packer receivers could get to it. other then Suh, Detroit's defense is a truck stop toilet.

I love hearing how he's good at reading defenses. If he's somewhere between the two names I keep seeing, Kolb and Schaub, then we're still getting good value. I can see why we got him so cheap. This could be a temporary stopgap but a much better one then Tarvaris.

Not to piss in anybody's cheerios, but I was watching The Packer/Lions game Flynn blew up in and I wasn't really impressed.

I agree - Flynn sucks and is a massive bust.

I agree - Flynn sucks and is a massive bust.

Well you are taking it to the extreme. His basement is Kolb, and he'll be making less then Kolb and we didn't have to trade anything to get him.

I'm just avoiding any delusions of a Pro-Bowl QB leading us to the Superbowl. A smart, savvy QB with a limited arm winning us a playoff game isn't out of the picture though.

Well you are taking it to the extreme. His basement is Kolb, and he'll be making less then Kolb and we didn't have to trade anything to get him.

I'm just avoiding any delusions of a Pro-Bowl QB leading us to the Superbowl. A smart, savvy QB with a limited arm winning us a playoff game isn't out of the picture though.

Like the year before last with Tavaris?

It's been a surprisingly civil thread as compared to previous versions of the Seahawks Excited threads. Now MDC wanders in and we have Amber Retard Alert. MDC should consider taking a breather. In a garage. Sitting inside a running car. Maybe even go back to his Eagles Preseason Thread with 4 posts.

It's been a surprisingly civil thread as compared to previous versions of the Seahawks Excited threads. Now MDC wanders in and we have Amber Retard Alert. MDC should consider taking a breather. In a garage. Sitting inside a running car. Maybe even go back to his Eagles Preseason Thread with 4 posts.

How do guys like you commit suicide when they can't afford cars or garages? :dunno:

How do guys like you commit suicide when they can't afford cars or garages? :dunno:

I keep the boat in the driveway, so I can't keep my car in the garage. Better ask Vick about the finer points of killing.

Goodbye Robert Gallery. Signed by the Patriots, but I'm not sure he will be a starter there.

Jordy Nelson went OFF. He caught 3 of those TD's and all three plays were made by Jordy. Another TD was Grant scoring on a long screen pass. On the Driver TD, Flynn did put the ball in the right place and Driver got behind the defense.

I was impressed with his ability to buy time with his feet and escape from pressure. Very limited arm (which has been widely reported). He was doing a good job putting the ball where only the much taller Packer receivers could get to it. other then Suh, Detroit's defense is a truck stop toilet.

I love hearing how he's good at reading defenses. If he's somewhere between the two names I keep seeing, Kolb and Schaub, then we're still getting good value. I can see why we got him so cheap. This could be a temporary stopgap but a much better one then Tarvaris.

All fair points.... But, the bigger point I think is that Flynn put the ball in the spots for his guy's to make plays. Nelson was huge, but the ball is always perfect and out of the defenders reach usually. Hasselbeck would have thrown the ball 5 yards out of bounds on those deep throws.

Flynn kept coming back time after time. Take a peak at the NE game the year before also. Look what NE Def's did the 2 games before they played GB and the 2 games after they played GB. There Def was getting better that year at the end. Also, they blitzed the cr@p out of Flynn.

Flynn can move in and out of the pocket and make plays with his feet. To me he is an accurate QB who can get it deep. And it shows up with only 2 starts. He'll go through growing pains of course, but he could improve on his ability with some starts.

I'm not expecting him to come in and do what he did to Detroit, but he's a way better option then T. Jackson with big possibilities.

And there is no risk.

Anyway, I think you agree and said most of this. But, just some additional thoughts.

Seriously, I'm always wary of backup QBs who play in high-scoring offenses - Matt Schaub is really the only good recent example I can think of, otherwise you're looking at Kolb, Feeley, Whitehurst, etc. The money for Flynn wasn't so huge and there's only one direction to go in from Tavaris, so that's a plus as is Seattle's running game and improving D. They should bring in another RB as insurance for Lynch now that he's got his big deal. I'd also draft a QB relatively early (not first round) as a backup plan of sorts. Whitehurst can't play at all, they should go young at emergency QB.

Like the year before last with Tavaris?

I never defended Tarvaris, other then the fact that he was cheap and knew the offense.

The average season he put up this year was amazing for him.

Whitehurst can't play at all, they should go young at emergency QB.

You are on top of your game.

Everyone thinks Matt Flynn is getting an opportunity to start because of how he has played in two games, but this is simply not true.

August 29, 2010, 07:01 AM EST

It appears that the Packers have developed Matt Flynn into a commodity. At some point in the near future, maybe next offseason, they will be able to trade him for a decent draft pick. It would help his value if Flynn played well in a meaningful situation in the regular season. And head coach Mike McCarthy tells me he definitely has confidence that Flynn would play well if given the chance. He said the former seventh-round pick has total command of the Packers offense after just two years in Green Bay.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-4148.html

Backup quarterback Matt Flynn has had a better camp than starter Aaron Rodgers. Flynn usually plays with the backups and often runs the scout team, which are factors that weigh against him. Yet practice after practice, he's fearless in the pocket, on target with his throws and always calm and collected. If scouts from other teams were allowed to attend practice, they would be making calls back home as fast as possible.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127982488.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I am a big fan of Flynn and have been holding on to him in an extremely deep dynasty league for a couple years. The fact that he had 2 really big games just reinforced my prior beliefs in him.

I think Seattle fans are going to be really happy.

You went from the chargers 3rd string qb to the packers 2nd string, so based on that, call it a win.

2 relief appearances in his career so let''s see what he does as a starter. Good move for Seattle imo and for reasonable cash.

Thanks. :lol:

I'm not sure if you are intelligent enough to understand the sarcasm nor smart enough to be fishing, but you referred to Seattle getting rid of Whitehurst, who signed with San Diego March 16th, and find a young guy that Seattle should add as the 3rd string, who would be Josh Portis who has been on the roster for a year.

:doh:

Play in a lot of 10 team leagues, do ya?

You went from the chargers 3rd string qb to the packers 2nd string, so based on that, call it a win.

2 relief appearances in his career so let''s see what he does as a starter. Good move for Seattle imo and for reasonable cash.

If you are going to snag a backup QB from any team in the league, Green Bay is about as good as it gets.

I'm not sure if you are intelligent enough to understand the sarcasm nor smart enough to be fishing, but you referred to Seattle getting rid of Whitehurst, who signed with San Diego March 16th, and find a young guy that Seattle should add as the 3rd string, who would be Josh Portis who has been on the roster for a year.

:doh:

Play in a lot of 10 team leagues, do ya?

Sorry, I don't keep track of the movement of failed trades like Whitehurst, even when they leave teams as exciting as the Seahawks.

Sorry, I don't keep track of the movement of failed trades like Whitehurst, even when they leave teams as exciting as the Seahawks.

However, it doesn't stop you from posting like you are an expert on the topic. You are the Rick Astley of FFT. Your posts are a gotcha moment of ineptitude.

Is there anyway I can follow you on Myspace?

However, it doesn't stop you from posting like you are an expert on the topic. You are the Rick Astley of FFT. Your posts are a gotcha moment of ineptitude.

I can't name the Browns long-snapper either. :(

I can't name the Browns long-snapper either. :(

Lucky for you, the Brown's long-snapper plays for the Browns.

Based on a recap of a radio interview John Schneider did, the only new interesting tidbit was that they were still looking at Leroy Hill and David Hawthorne, and that they were aware that several veteran LBs are still out there. It's nice that they haven't forgotten about this position, and that they were basically value shopping. The market has been a bit soft for LBs thus far, so this works for me.

A recap of some of the day's earlier news.

Michael Bush will come in for a visit. He has a minimum of wear and tear on his legs as he was always in a committee in Oakland. He worked with Tom Cable, excels in this run blocking scheme, and keeps the offense unchanged when Lynch comes out of the game. The downside would be cost, and that there are a lot of pretty good RBs available later in the draft. But, there is a lot of cap room left, a lot.

Jacob Tamme is coming in to visit to potentially be a blocking TE, and he's very good at it. This would free up Zach Miller to run a lot more routes, and with Flynn able to read his progressions, this sounds like it could be a good move. Cameron Morrah is still decent and might still click with a new QB like he did in that magical playoff win over New Orleans, but McCoy can't catch the focking ball and I'm tired of him.

Jarriel King was somehow connected to the roster. An offensive lineman I wasn't very aware of. Anyway, he allegedly raped somebody and got cut today. I saw that earlier today, but didn't seem significant to the roster, but no stone unturned in digging up news crap. And it could be out of date by now.

Lucky for you, the Brown's long-snapper plays for the Browns.

If he got cut it would be as relevant as former Seahawk savior Charlie Whitehurst going to a new team.

If he got cut it would be as relevant as former Seahawk savior Charlie Whitehurst going to a new team.

The difference for Hawks fans is, no one was excited when Charlie Whitehurst came aboard. The general attitude at the time was, we gave up a 3rd rounder and dropped 20 spots in the 2nd round for a 3rd string clipboard holder? Huh? A guy who had never actually thrown a pass in a regular season game? At least with Flynn we've all seen some of his work, limited as it is. Plus we gave up nothing for him other than cash, and not even that much cash. It's a gamble but a low-risk gamble.

The alternative would be to over-draft a guy like Tannehill in the 1st rd and then wait 2-3 seasons to see if he can develop into an NFL signal-caller. Or, spend every dime you have on Peyton.

Actually the best scenario would be to have the crystal ball and wait until the 6th rd to draft the next version of Tom Brady that somehow every other team missed on.

If you are going to snag a backup QB from any team in the league, Green Bay is about as good as it gets.

:thumbsup:

The difference for Hawks fans is, no one was excited when Charlie Whitehurst came aboard. The general attitude at the time was, we gave up a 3rd rounder and dropped 20 spots in the 2nd round for a 3rd string clipboard holder? Huh? A guy who had never actually thrown a pass in a regular season game? At least with Flynn we've all seen some of his work, limited as it is. Plus we gave up nothing for him other than cash, and not even that much cash. It's a gamble but a low-risk gamble.

The alternative would be to over-draft a guy like Tannehill in the 1st rd and then wait 2-3 seasons to see if he can develop into an NFL signal-caller. Or, spend every dime you have on Peyton.

Actually the best scenario would be to have the crystal ball and wait until the 6th rd to draft the next version of Tom Brady that somehow every other team missed on.

Perfect post..... That's it right there. :) :cheers:

And we can now take a shot at that QB in the 4-6th still.

(i.e. Darron Thomas/Oregon - That's who I'm voting for)

(Maybe Kellen Moore/Boise State)

Perfect post..... That's it right there. :) :cheers:

And we can now take a shot at that QB in the 4-6th still.

(i.e. Darron Thomas/Oregon - That's who I'm voting for)

(Maybe Kellen Moore/Boise State)

thx

personally, I like Austin Davis from So. Mississippi, but I doubt he lasts until the 4th round or later anyway.

Based on a recap of a radio interview John Schneider did, the only new interesting tidbit was that they were still looking at Leroy Hill and David Hawthorne, and that they were aware that several veteran LBs are still out there. It's nice that they haven't forgotten about this position, and that they were basically value shopping. The market has been a bit soft for LBs thus far, so this works for me.

What do you think about Curtis Lofton?

He's a kid I really like.

What do you think about Curtis Lofton?

He's a kid I really like.

He's a solid player, a lot like Hawthorne. Lofton is still visiting teams, getting interest from quite a few. Seems like a mini bidding war may be happening with him, so I don't think it's likely he ends up in Seattle.

He's a solid player, a lot like Hawthorne. Lofton is still visiting teams, getting interest from quite a few. Seems like a mini bidding war may be happening with him, so I don't think it's likely he ends up in Seattle.

seems like he's a guy who would get subbed out on 3rd and long since he's better at run support than the passing game. Then again, Hawthorne was better against the run too. I'd be fine with either of these guys so long as they don't break the bank, and if they both want too much money, let someone else pay. I don't see how we should be over-paying someone who is not an ideal pass-defending LB in an increasingly pass-happy league. In that case, better to use a few draft picks on LBs and get the guys with the tools we need.

As long as sweet pete is coaching the team, you guys are focked. :wave: