Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Cowboys talk

It was the right move expecally for D Bryant.

Now he might land on a team with a QB that could help him.

And the Cowboys did need to move on, but the need for a wr1 becomes their top priority in the upcoming draft.

Revelation 11:9-10 and 17:8.

Finally - this team made a smart personnel move........... I appreciate Dez' service - but it was time, it was the right move.

agreed.

Finally - this team made a smart personnel move........... I appreciate Dez' service - but it was time, it was the right move.

Amen.

It was the right move expecally for D Bryant.

Now he might land on a team with a QB that could help him.

And the Cowboys did need to move on, but the need for a wr1 becomes their top priority in the upcoming draft.

Revelation 11:9-10 and 17:8.

:thumbsup:

Cowboys draft: B-

Pros

* Went Defense with 1st pick - got a really solid player in Vander Esch.

* Michael Gallap - wow, what a great pick. Not only did this address a WR need, but to get this kind of talent in the 3rd was a home run.

* Mike White, admittedly I had to Google him.. But from all accounts this kid checks all the boxes on what a QB should be... Also like that we drafted one, never know if you might get lucky.

* Got a solid TE with upside.

* Trades - making a few appeared to be part of the draft strategy.

Cons

* Week 17 - that stupid ass meaningless win cost this franchise Derwin James. Just another stain on a long list of Red Garrett blunders.. If James turns out to be Sean Taylor or Kam Chancellor, I'm going to flip.

* As much as I like Vander Esch, would of preferred to move down, load up on extra picks and taken either him or Evans from Bama.

* Connor Williams - hated this pick.

Now before you flip out and start tossing "great value pick", "fills a huge need", etc... let me preface by saying it's not that I think C. Williams is a bust... I'm sure he's going to fit right in and has a chance to be a really solid LG..... But by taking Connor Williams in the 2nd Round, Dallas just announced to the entire free world that with 4 1st Round offensive lineman and even with Zeke Elliot in the backfield - you still have to go out and fire a 2nd round pick at a LG to make it all work.. Really, with all that, that dream supporting cast and you still need a top draft pick to move the ball???? 2 perennial All Pro lineman in Z. Martin and T. Smith, 1 Pro Bowler in T. Fredrick, L. Collins and all world RB Zeke Elliot - and you can't find a LG somewhere other than the 2nd round???

Nate Newton was an undrafted journeyman, on his 3rd team and damn near cut by Dallas just before Jimmy got here. Mark Tuinei was an undrafted DT, picked up on a lark and turned into a LT.. And John Gesek was a 10th Round pick Dallas later traded a 5th rounder for.... 3 of the "Great Wall" were barely on rosters and Jimmy found a way to turn them into a legendary unit..... And we can't find 1 stinking LG, surrounded by 4 all world lineman and an all world RB - without spending a 2nd on - that's freaking pitiful.

before the draft, i was saying the same thing on reddit and BTB about drafting OL early--it's an announcement that they can't coach a player up. the guy i wanted there was reid. but getting a borderline 1st round talent at 50 as a hedge against another atlanta game was sufficient value to calm me down. stephen was unequivocal about that--the pick was a direct response to your favorite OT (chaz), and his performance against atlanta.

as for trading down, with whom could they have traded without giving up value or their guy? LVE wouldn't have fallen past PIT at 28, who desperately needs to replace shazier. it was a flat spot in the draft, with no premium talent available. so who would have been motivated enough to trade up? what would they have offered? a 4th maybe? does that count as "loading up with extra picks"?

as for trading down, with whom could they have traded without giving up value or their guy? LVE wouldn't have fallen past PIT at 28, who desperately needs to replace shazier. it was a flat spot in the draft, with no premium talent available. so who would have been motivated enough to trade up? what would they have offered? a 4th maybe? does that count as "loading up with extra picks"?

True... and maybe nobody was willing to move up. Certainly haven't heard of any - but would have been nice to have it happen, and still get either Vander Esch or Evans.

So what's the plan, to still have J. Smith in the middle and put V. Esch at the Sam?

So what's the plan, to still have J. Smith in the middle and put V. Esch at the Sam?

rumor is the other way around: LVE at mike (sideline to sideline) and 54 at sam (north and south). however, this is due to the limited pitch count idea from last season, with jaylon performing better when involved in fewer snaps. word out of the star is that the nerve has continued to improve, such that his change of direction is substantially better than at the end of last season. so it's quite possible that they start out with 54 at mike and the rookie at sam while he ramps up the learning curve.

one thing that has been discussed a lot is that the proliferation of RPO makes having 3 LBs on the field an important package. aside from the base 4-3, a lot of teams are starting to employ a 'heavy nickel' with 5 DB, 3 LB, and 3 DL. IMO this pick is absolutely aimed at that concept, with the lee succession being another benefit. whereas i really wanted derwin, it would have cost the 3rd to get him, and we still would have been looking at a giant LB hole. evans is a quality guy, but he's not close to the same coverage guy that LVE is.

in short, even though i'm not jumping for joy, i think they got the right guy, at the right position, with the right qualities, at pretty close to the right value. imagine how pissed we all would have been today talking about taven bryan or ridley or hernandez. good players all, but not just right. LVE is as close to 'just right' as you find in most drafts. it's possible that he turns into another bobby carpenter, sure, but i strongly doubt it. carpenter was more like evans.

in short, even though i'm not jumping for joy, i think they got the right guy, at the right position, with the right qualities, at pretty close to the right value. imagine how pissed we all would have been today talking about taven bryan or ridley or hernandez. good players all, but not just right. LVE is as close to 'just right' as you find in most drafts. it's possible that he turns into another bobby carpenter, sure, but i strongly doubt it. carpenter was more like evans.

Yea for sure.. I would of flipped out had we taken a lineman or a wr... I really do like that V. Esch kid - he's built like a tank and has a motor.

I also hope like hell they don't just burry Gallup and store him on the bench. This kid is raw but full of upside.. I want to see him play.

• Like 1

I like Tavon as a backup RB, and love Bo in the 7th. First two picks were great, and Gallup is cool too. Hopefully Jihad Ward turns into something under Marinelli. I'm intrigued by the 2nd LB the team took. Might be a good ST player, but he's raw. I hope he can become a decent LB, but I'm not expecting too much tbh.

What's the vibe on Witten?

Personally, it was way past time for #82 to hang it up. I appreciate him as much as anybody and the Ring of Honor and HOF await him - but time to move on... I do think it's funny (though) that he (basically) blindsided this staff and front office. Kind of like Dallas did Dez and waiting so long to release him. Knowing damn good and well they were going to cut him, they opted to not do it as soon as FA opened, but rather after most all teams made their pick ups.

It's called Karma, and it's a biitch.

• Like 1

First round WRs can be super hit or miss. I'm not sure I'd take one that high. Maybe sign a guy that can help replace Dez's void next year as well. Not sure who the FAs are, but I'm sure there will be a guy or two the Cowboys can target that meshes will with Dak.

you think witten retiring in the manner he did was a retaliation of the way jerry did dez? if so I applaud the action.

I really hope Witten comes back though.

I promise you he will. I will even give you a date:

Nov. 5th, 2018.

I haven't had him on my fantasy team in years, even when I did several years ago, zero yards after the catch and those were 8 yards only at best. He will get in the hall of fame though.

I haven't had him on my fantasy team in years, even when I did several years ago, zero yards after the catch and those were 8 yards only at best. He will get in the hall of fame though.

He averaged under 9 yards per reception once in his career and that was last year with an 8.9 average. Plus he only missed 1 game in his career. And only one year with more than 1 fumble. He had 2 in 2004.

Where did you get "8 yards at best"?

Happy for the Cowboys for dumping bryant. He deserved being dumped. Team captain wannabe. Overpaid and declining talent.

Witten retired because he was in the league for 14 or so years and the opportunity he got doesn't happen that often.

you think witten retiring in the manner he did was a retaliation of the way jerry did dez? if so I applaud the action.

i strongly doubt it. per spagnola (who tends to have the no-BS version of cowboys news), witten absolutely could not make up his mind--he was worried about not quitting on his teammates.

He averaged under 9 yards per reception once in his career and that was last year with an 8.9 average. Plus he only missed 1 game in his career. And only one year with more than 1 fumble. He had 2 in 2004.

Where did you get "8 yards at best"?

Just seems like I remember a lot of short catches and no yards after the catch. I didn't mean his actual average, just remember a lot of plays like that.

I personally don't think Witten will all the great in the booth.

Then again, I didn't think Aikman would be either - so...

I wouldnt say aikman is. Hes ok.

It would be nice if they would get players from the other 31 franchises. Or actual football journalist types that can speak. Thats more a studio problem than a booth problem though.

I wouldnt say aikman is. Hes ok.

I think Aikman is fantastic - they hit an unexpected homerun there.

I don't either, he's not very charismatic

I don't either, he's not very charismatic

It's a wait and see for me. Some guys stand up to the challenge. I mean, this is broadcasting, maybe he is good at it? Anyway, at least we know one thing, he can't be any worse than Dennis Miller.

• Like 1

It's a wait and see for me. Some guys stand up to the challenge. I mean, this is broadcasting, maybe he is good at it? Anyway, at least we know one thing, he can't be any worse than Dennis Miller.

:lol: :thumbsup:

I'm greatly excited about this year, our Defense should be roughly 20 better IMO. Also the Offense will be much less predictable now that Dez & Witten are gone. The O Line got an upgrade, so did the backfield. It'll be really interesting to see what happens with our overhauled WR corps.

I also have lower expectations, so even if we have a bad year, it should be highly entertaining. :doublethumbsup:

I also have lower expectations, so even if we have a bad year, it should be highly entertaining. :doublethumbsup:

there's no part of the team that shouldn't be substantially improved from last season, so my expectations are much higher than 9-7.

IMO this is a prove it year for garrett. i've always liked the guy, but if he can't get it done after 8 years, it's time to find answers elsewhere.

my vote is sean lee as DC, romo as OC, and witten as HC.

there's no part of the team that shouldn't be substantially improved from last season, so my expectations are much higher than 9-7.

IMO this is a prove it year for garrett. i've always liked the guy, but if he can't get it done after 8 years, it's time to find answers elsewhere.

my vote is sean lee as DC, romo as OC, and witten as HC.

:doublethumbsup: love it!

I fully agree minus the expectations part. The only reason I say that is familiarity with the WR's for Dak,

also, I'm not a fan of letting go of Switzer, he was starting to come on in the return dept. Who'll fill that need?

:doublethumbsup: love it!

I fully agree minus the expectations part. The only reason I say that is familiarity with the WR's for Dak,

also, I'm not a fan of letting go of Switzer, he was starting to come on in the return dept. Who'll fill that need?

Tavon Austin?

Tavon Austin?

I still know very little about him. Lord I hope somebody can be a game changer for us.

Austin isn’t exciting, and won’t light it up.

It’s going to be a tough season.

Thanks.

Austin isn’t exciting, and won’t light it up.

It’s going to be a tough season.

Thanks.

Rams, Eagles, Giants fan? :dunno:

Nope ff owner.

Just calling it as a see it.

It’s not a personal attack on Cowboy fans.

It’s just how I think it will go down.

After the Zeke I don’t see much on the offensive side off the ball.

I don’t think they will be better then the Eagles or the Gmen, and I think they would be fourth if I trusted the Redskins coaching stafff.

So don’t let your pride get in the way of one own prediction.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Nope ff owner.

Just calling it as a see it.

It’s not a personal attack on Cowboy fans.

It’s just how I think it will go down.

After the Zeke I don’t see much on the offensive side off the ball.

I don’t think they will be better then the Eagles or the Gmen, and I think they would be fourth if I trusted the Redskins coaching stafff.

So don’t let your pride get in the way of one own prediction.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

there's usually a back story, pardon me

I'm greatly excited about this year, our Defense should be roughly 20 better IMO. Also the Offense will be much less predictable now that Dez & Witten are gone. The O Line got an upgrade, so did the backfield. It'll be really interesting to see what happens with our overhauled WR corps.

My official status is: Wait and see.

* Red Garrett is KING of calling Wolf, Wolf, Wolf.. I've heard his song and dance till my ears bleed - only to go back on it, ignore it - and revert to the same old BS boring, predictable, clueless pass and chunk, clock mismanage ways.

* I am VERY excited about Van Esch..

* I am VERY concerned about J. Smith and S. Lee... counting on 32 year old S. Lee to stay healthy again is like waiting for the Great Pumpkin to show up... And never have been a fan of J. Smith, was a terrible wasted pick.

* I am VERY excited about Kris Richard coaching the secondary. The mastermind of the Legion of Boom - can't wait to see what he does.

* I have zero faith in our defensive front... Tank is solid, sure.. But who knows what's up with Irving?.. So tired of this team ignoring the importance of monster, game changing DTs.

* FS - do we have one? As long as J. Heath is on the field, we are vulnerable - he flat out sucks.

* C. Williams better be an all world LG - firing a 2nd round pick on him, he better be worth it.

* I am excited to see Michael Gallup play..... but given the incompetence of this staff, I have no doubt the will burry him on the sidelines with limited action.

* Rico Gathers, where are you? Time to step up son. I know you have a concussion, but damn - still?

* T-Flub - try and only drop 20 passes this year will ya?

* Fingers crossed Tyron Smith is ok.

* Dak - you have to be better...... a lot better........ I'm still only 30% confident on 3 and 7s - I need to be 60%

I get the optimism, happens every year.......but I still have little faith in our front 7 to stop the Aaron Rodgers and Carson Wentz of the world.. And I'm SO tired of hearing the offense will play "Keep-Away". How about we freaking build a dominant defense and don't rely on the offense to do the defense's job?