Sign in to follow this  
graphix28

Anyone else think McKinnon can steal the job this weekend?

I mean, they can't just keep getting 2 ypc outta Marty right?? If they want to win they need someone besides CP that can take it to the house

• Like 1

I think it's doubtful. McKinnon is a freak athlete, but he's not ready in pass protection. He's still very raw. Asiata isn't exciting, but he'll probably be serviceable enough for the Vikes to stick with him for a little while longer at least.

I think it's doubtful. McKinnon is a freak athlete, but he's not ready in pass protection. He's still very raw. Asiata isn't exciting, but he'll probably be serviceable enough for the Vikes to stick with him for a little while longer at least.

Agree, I dont think Asiata looked as bad as people are saying and I think the Vikes agree. They will prob run into the buzzsaw this week in NO.

Since he can't pass block, whenever he comes in it tips off the D that a run is coming. I can't see him having meaningful snaps until he become decent at pass blocking, and considering he had no experience doing that in college it will probably be a while before he can be a starter.

Can he , sure he can , will he who knows .

I went against my gut..burned waiver priority 3 on assiata and dropped rainey...hope mckinnon is nothing more than change of pace, 5-10 touches a game

I don't think so. I was a big advocate of his in the preseason, but he just hasn't shown ability to match his freak athleticism. Yet. He's a bit like Christine Michael in that way. Should be great, but just hasn't shown it yet. Matt Asiata is still the smarter play. He's a better receiver out of the backfield than even Peterson and he will be getting the red zone carries as well. I know you have to jump on these guys BEFORE they explode, but I need to see more from McKinnon before I roster him over Asiata.

I was listening to a Vikings beat writer today and he said he hasn't seen anything in practice or preseason that made him believe McKinnon could be the guy this year. That doesn't mean it is impossible. It wasn't what I was hoping to hear since I have him stashed. If you are hoping for an upside lottery ticket you are probably better off with Starks or Blue.

• Like 1

If you keep posting the "freak athlete" bit and his 40 time maybe you can fool a league mate into wasting a roster spot on him.

I went against my gut..burned waiver priority 3 on assiata and dropped rainey...hope McKinnon is nothing more than a change of pace, 5-10 touches a game

Anyone else think it is more likely Rainey steals the starting job this week?

Anyone else think it is more likely Rainey steals the starting job this week?

This is more plausible. Rainey is a guy to own if available.

my guess it's gonna be a three ring circus filling in for AP when you include Patterson. then eventually you might get Bridgewater in there @qb... a situation maybe better to watch with an eye toward next year+ but possibly frustrating this year to hit week to week fantasy wise

nope.

mckinnon was a college QB and he has 0 experience pass blocking. i don't see how he takes passing downs away from asiata. i also don't see how he takes goal line work away from asiata.

add to the equation the fact that they are playing new orleans IN new orleans (when the saints are 0-2 and they haven't been home yet), and this SHOULD be set up for asiata to get a bunch of work. i think minny gets down big and early. they SHOULD be playing catch-up all game. but hey, this is the nfl, nothing is certain.

If I were the vikes I'd see what I have for next year. By week 8 I'd think Bridgewater, McKinnon and patterson will be in together creating timing and rhythm.

AP is gonna be 30 next year. They may start looking to the future IF they have the o-line jelled so TB doesn't get killed.

Definitely, but probably not this week...

AP is most likely done in Minny... They drafted McKinnon to be his heir apparent, so they need to see if he has what it takes to carry the load.

Asiata sux. Other than blocking, he doesn't bring any value or scare defenses in any way. It may be a couple weeks, but McKinnon will be carrying the load sooner, rather then later.

You can take that to the bank!

If you keep posting the "freak athlete" bit and his 40 time maybe you can fool a league mate into wasting a roster spot on him.

This. Those words are overused on this bord

If only it's all about physical abilities....

Based on the 2 combine results, Joe Webb look more EXPLOSIVE, and how did that turn out?

Jerrick McKinnon Combine Results:

4.41 - 40yd Dash
32 reps - Bench Press
40.5 - Vert Jump
132 inch - Broad Jump
6.83 - 3 cone drill
4.12 - 20 yard shuttle

Joe Webb Combine Results

4.44 - 40yd Dash
21 reps - Bench Press
42.5 - Vert Jump
132.5 inch - Broad Jump
6.71 - 3 cone drill
4.04 - 20 yard shuttle

McKinnon will block just fine. Guy is stronger than a lot of linemen. 32 reps on the bench at the combine. Incredible.

Bench Press is just that...a press, it does not measure overall strength. Football is about power and leverage from the waist down. Now if he can squat 3,000 lbs then that's a different story.

The kid has talent in doubt but he was a qb. Doubt he plays more than a handful if snaps until later in the season.

If I were the vikes I'd see what I have for next year.

I don't necessarily think MIN is good, but they are 1-1... I don't think it's time to pack up shop on this season quite yet.

McKinnon adds another dimension to the game! Fake run pass to Patterson? I love it! Turner had no problems doing so with LT2 in San Diego

McKinnon is on the wire in my 14-team league and I have no interest in picking him up. He might see more work I can't see him out there regularly--way too raw. I don't think he will get past 8-10 touches a game this season, nor will he hit that mark consistently.

I believe Asiata has the best shot at being the lead back the rest of the season, as dull as he is. Then I'd go to any number of free agents like the Law Firm. Then I'd go to Adrian Peterson. Then I'd go to McKinnon.

I don't necessarily think MIN is good, but they are 1-1... I don't think it's time to pack up shop on this season quite yet.

That's 1 W with Peterson, 1 blowout L without.

It's funny how you can tell the dynasty folks from the redraft folks in a single thread. Or better stated, the people who have actually done due diligence versus those who just regurgitate whatever nonsense they hear.

I went to the same school as McKinnon, so I probably have seen him more than most and know more about him than most. It doesn't make me right, but I think I have a pretty good handle on him. The dude played QB, RB, WR and DB in college. He is a freak athlete, but more importantly he is a GREAT football player.

There is plenty of information out there on how he has impressed everyone on his team from the head coaches, positional coaches, AP and many others.

He is raw because he played more QB (running) than anything else, but he also has a high football IQ from playing all the other positions. It will take some time, but he will be an impact player for the Vikings.

He can also pass, so don't be surprised if you see some wrinkle on an end around with a deep toss to Patterson at some point. Or the wildcat. The dude has EXTREME potential. Will he be successful this year, that remains to be seen.

But anyone posting that "he sux" or "great athlete <> great football player " and all the other garbage is either ignorant or a moron. So, just ignore them!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

• Like 1

I certainly won't hold my breath on McKinnon becoming the starter but this weekend should be interesting. If he gets an increased role he'll be the waiver wire darling for week 3.

Definitely, but probably not this week...

AP is most likely done in Minny... They drafted McKinnon to be his heir apparent, so they need to see if he has what it takes to carry the load.

Asiata sux. Other than blocking, he doesn't bring any value or scare defenses in any way. It may be a couple weeks, but McKinnon will be carrying the load sooner, rather then later.

You can take that to the bank!

Well thereyago.