Sign in to follow this  
fatguylittlecoat

Auction Related Board

99% of the information is snake draft related, for those who are in auction drafts, we need more relevant information.

99% of the information is snake draft related, for those who are in auction drafts, we need more relevant information.

There were a few threads about it. If you look at the smaller percentage of auction information that should tell you that the vast majority of leagues are snake type. I know that this site does come out with auction information in the articles section. If its that important create more threads.

I prefer talking about auctions myself but it seems once you go over the basic strategies then everything is covered and people no longer comment in the thread.

I'm sad since I had my main auction draft last Saturday and now I'm done. Maybe I'll just do another free Yahoo or ESPN one before the season starts to satisfy my disease.

True.

The auction is an art of knowing the true value of a player and in knowing when to bid and when not to.

its an art form. certainly more challenging than a draft. I also think you need to be more flexible in an auction format.

There are plenty of times I bid on a player I never intended to get.

last year, for example, i did not expect to get Desean Jackson. had no plans on it, but when the bidding was at $8, I couldnt say no. so I bid 9$ and got him.

it was a steal.

If I'd known I could get him that cheap, I wouldnt have blown all kinds of cash on Alshon a few minutes earlier. not that Alshon was bad, but in terms of value for my money, Desean really delivered at that price.

My auctions never go the way I plan. This year I kept bidding on players that I thought were going too cheap to others and I ended up getting them. Next thing I know I'm about out of money and I can't get any of the players I really wanted.

I feel my biggest mistake was spending on Gronk. He was one of the players I wasn't targeting but he was going $5 cheaper than what I had him valued at. Made me feel sick when I saw Olsen, Kelce and Bennett all go for $7-$6. I could have got all three of those guys for the price I got Gronk but all I can think about is how I could have gotten one of those great TEs for cheap and then gotten another great WR.

My auctions never go the way I plan. This year I kept bidding on players that I thought were going too cheap to others and I ended up getting them. Next thing I know I'm about out of money and I can't get any of the players I really wanted.

I feel my biggest mistake was spending on Gronk. He was one of the players I wasn't targeting but he was going $5 cheaper than what I had him valued at. Made me feel sick when I saw Olsen, Kelce and Bennett all go for $7-$6. I could have got all three of those guys for the price I got Gronk but all I can think about is how I could have gotten one of those great TEs for cheap and then gotten another great WR.

to some extent this is always a game.

sometimes you bid to keep others from getting a player at a price that is too cheap, and you end up getting them.

I dont mind when this happens on the low tier players because a steal is a steal. if hes worth 15$ and you pay 7, that's fine.

but on high end players, you gotta be careful about how you do this sort of thing and not get caught if you really dont want the player. At the end of the day, if you arent willing to take a player at the price you are bidding, you shouldnt bid.

to some extent this is always a game.

sometimes you bid to keep others from getting a player at a price that is too cheap, and you end up getting them.

I dont mind when this happens on the low tier players because a steal is a steal. if hes worth 15$ and you pay 7, that's fine.

but on high end players, you gotta be careful about how you do this sort of thing and not get caught if you really dont want the player. At the end of the day, if you arent willing to take a player at the price you are bidding, you shouldnt bid.

It wasn't so much that I didn't want Gonk at all. In the moment I was thinking, holy crap I can get Gronk for $5 less than I expected. It only really bothered once I saw all TEs going for less than I have projected.

Just so others that read this know, there are multiple ways to do an auction draft. The most common way is to draft a 16 player team using $200. The next common would be similar but using $100. The league I'm in is very different. We have $100 to draft 10 players and once everyone has 10 players we snake draft the remaining 6 roster spots. This makes it a little more difficult because you really have to figure out your own auction values.

Here is the team I drafted last year. The "-" after a name means I got them in the snake portion of the draft. I didn't draft a kicker but will have to drop a player to add one before the first game.

Ryan Tannehill 3

Teddy Bridgewater -

Mark Ingram 16

Frank Gore 15

Shane Vereen 2

Duke Johnson -

Roy Helu -

Matt Jones -

Demaryius Thomas 25

Anquan Boldin 2

Amari Cooper 6

Sammy Watkins 7

Kendall Wright 1

Stevie Johnson -

Rob Gronkowski 23

Patriots DST -

what is it that you want to know?