Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Why college should not be free

It's simple really. When someone has to pay for their own college education, they will appreciate it more and work harder. It's the same with just giving a kid a car, or letting him pay for it himself.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be assistance, but free? No. I think money should be poured more into the education of pre college students if anything.

I still would like to see some assistance to mitigate crippling debt because someone chose a major that is in declining demand. It's a gigantic pain in the balls to go through with a different major

Free college would be mindnumbingly dumb, as you point out. Also, the cost of college has skyrocketed already with the amount of assistance provided through tax dollars, but hey, the kids get killer rock walls and stuff. Make it all free (oops, another thing, it isn't free, we are all paying for it) and the costs would grow astronomically.

Also also, a bunch of kids who shouldn't be in college would attend. More than already do so. You work a good trade that pays well, others should be encouraged to do so as well. :cheers:

Free college shouldnt be a thing. But no way in hell should it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for someone to get their college education. On top of that the books themselves for classes are ridiculous. Buying textbooks for 4-5 classes ends up costing $800 or more. Then when you sell them back you get $20 for one.

or tier it based on performance. also, do not decrease standards/criteria for entrance and to maintain status.

If private college wasn't so expensive how would dumb rich kids get in?

I think the dumbest idea is that college students should repay loans based on their income. Wait so you mean your philosophy of gender studies didn’t result in a paying job. Color me shocked.

I think the dumbest idea is that college students should repay loans based on their income. Wait so you mean your philosophy of gender studies didnt result in a paying job. Color me shocked.

Yeah, kind of a dumb idea. Still, it's not feasible for everyone to take majors in areas that pay more. There has to be people with majors in lower paying professions.

Yeah, kind of a dumb idea. Still, it's not feasible for everyone to take majors in areas that pay more. There has to be people with majors in lower paying professions.

There is a difference between a lower paying degree like teaching or biology compared to a useless degree like philosophy.

I am fine with the programs that pay teachers student loans off, but if someone wants to major in philosophy or a similar useless degree, then that is on them.

There is a difference between a lower paying degree like teaching or biology compared to a useless degree like philosophy.

I am fine with the programs that pay teachers student loans off, but if someone wants to major in philosophy or a similar useless degree, then that is on them.

Nah even philosophy I could understand a little more than gender studies or African American studies

Lotta people would take advantage of it for the living expenses and so forth. Already happens and would only be far worse if it were free. They gotta have a little skin in the game.

Apparently the Philippines just made college free. Dont know how they swing that when they cant even have a military or decent roads, but Im told they have.

My fiancée says now a bunch of the sh!tty teachers treat the students like crap, and say things like, you arent paying anything, youll get what I give you.

My fiancée says now a bunch of the sh!tty teachers treat the students like crap, and say things like, you arent paying anything, youll get what I give you.

Kinda like English teachers in China?

Im sure some of you had you been alive would have made the argument that high school shouldnt be free either.

Why cant there be both? Private colleges and government colleges?

The smarter we are as a society the better. Im sure paying more for educated citizens saves you money in other places as well.

I dont think it should be free but public universities should be heavily subsidized.

The smarter we are as a society the better. Im sure paying more for educated citizens saves you money in other places as well.

If you can prove that the people getting their education from a University end up being smarter than those diligently taking online classes, then I'm with you.

I dont think it should be free but public universities should be heavily subsidized.

Much like your mom

Im sure some of you had you been alive would have made the argument that high school shouldnt be free either.

Why cant there be both? Private colleges and government colleges?

I could maybe agree with this, but there are a large number of college students taking useless classes/majors. If we could force them to take something useful then I am on board.

Free college shouldnt be a thing. But no way in hell should it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for someone to get their college education. On top of that the books themselves for classes are ridiculous. Buying textbooks for 4-5 classes ends up costing $800 or more. Then when you sell them back you get $20 for one.

Some colleges are moving to OER, open educational resources. Free or low-cost textbooks. There are lots online that the colleges would get nothing from. Maybe tuition will just go up, but maybe not. :dunno:

I could maybe agree with this, but there are a large number of college students taking useless classes/majors. If we could force them to take something useful then I am on board.

I guess we would have to define "useful". :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I totaly agree with you.

Kinda like English teachers in China?

No. I do my best to provide quality content, usually under impossible conditions.

At many schools the kids parents pay big, so you better bring something that amuses the kids. If the kids complain then the parents complain and then youre done.

you arent paying anything, youll get what I give you.

That's what she said.

My bachelor's degree was in philosophy.

pretty simple to me, do good in HS get financial aid to a JUCO, show you can finish JUCO in 2 years with good grades, then I will consider helping you goto college

the problem with free college is that 55% of college students drop out after 2 years

but also my biggest problem with the free college is that we need blue collar workers, trade schools should be funded too, as those actually lead to good paying specific jobs in usually under a year. Thats the stuff we should be funding

pretty simple to me, do good in HS get financial aid to a JUCO, show you can finish JUCO in 2 years with good grades, then I will consider helping you goto college

the problem with free college is that 55% of college students drop out after 2 years

but also my biggest problem with the free college is that we need blue collar workers, trade schools should be funded too, as those actually lead to good paying specific jobs in usually under a year. Thats the stuff we should be funding

I think we should start with trade and JUCO. Some people just arent meant for college and would be better suited for such places (as well as better prepared for a career).

I think we should start with trade and JUCO. Some people just arent meant for college and would be better suited for such places (as well as better prepared for a career).

I think our public trade school system should be expanded and have more invested. I dont know how it is in much of America, but there is very little of that in the south anyway. Mostly shady private options it seems.

or tier it based on performance. also, do not decrease standards/criteria for entrance and to maintain status.

Performance is discriminatory in this day and age. On both sides. Dealing with it as I write this. Daughter has the grades and ACT score two points higher than some that are 15-20% below her and are getting accepted in. A state school I'd prefer not to name. But should accept her without question based on merit alone.

She's throwing an egg off a three story building tomorrow encased in nothing but straws and tape for physics class. Not going to jinx her, but it's a good design. Told her to draw Grannies face on the egg, her favorite person in the world, just for good luck.

There are girls in her graduating class that have been accepted already to the said school who didn't make it out of Algebra II, barely passed chemistry and in no way made the grades or tests to advance to advanced math and Physics. Not a scholastic reason for this other than space and fawking quotas that exclude. I'm fawking disgusted.

But here we are. A smart young driven student who might get passed over for scholarships and many perks or accolades because she's smart and was awarded, by hard work by her and parents, the opportunity of a better education than the fawk public education could provide her over a fourteen year journey and now she gets punished because she's right on the line. Or just above it.

I'll let you know tomorrow how Humpty Dumpty does after Guthrie period gym when it's dropped fifty stories.

Or I'll just paint that prestine egg white after I hard boil that mother fawker with Pazz in the next few minutes and take credit for defying gravity.

Nah!!! That would be cheating. Gravitas and gravity go hand and hand. Her egg has gravitas.

I'll let you know tomorrow how Humpty Dumpty does after Guthrie period gym when it's dropped fifty stories.

Or I'll just paint that prestine egg white after I hard boil that mother fawker with Pazz in the next few minutes and take credit for defying gravity.

Nah!!! That would be cheating. Gravitas and gravity go hand and hand. Her egg has gravitas.

If her egg survives fifty stories, fock college. Get that girl a job with the DOD.

If her egg survives fifty stories, fock college. Get that girl a job with the DOD.

Kramerica.

No sh!t. She's got to drop it fifty feet. She passed the fifteen mark. Gets a sixty five grade. Gets to thirty, an eighty five. Top of the library, she gets a hundred. Don't think that's possible, but you never know.

She came into my office a little while ago. Me: What's the haps? Lil Bunny: THIS IS FUN!!! Me: Fun project. When I was a kid we made igloos out of cotton and sugar cubes for our projects. You're throwing eggs off of three story buildings hoping to survive. I envy you! (Huge smile).

No sh!t. She's got to drop it fifty feet. She passed the fifteen mark. Gets a sixty five grade. Gets to thirty, an eighty five. Top of the library, she gets a hundred. Don't think that's possible, but you never know.

She came into my office a little while ago. Me: What's the haps? Lil Bunny: THIS IS FUN!!! Me: Fun project. When I was a kid we made igloos out of cotton and sugar cubes for our projects. You're throwing eggs off of three story buildings hoping to survive. I envy you! (Huge smile).

You said fifty stories. That is more like 500 feet, was my point. Lol

Although I guess if shes dropping it off a library, it is dropping it off of many many stories.

I can always count on you to get it. :cheers:

I think our public trade school system should be expanded and have more invested. I dont know how it is in much of America, but there is very little of that in the south anyway. Mostly shady private options it seems.

It doesn't exist really. There are welding schools, but besides that I don't know of many trade schools.

Part of the reason I despise non union, the people who work for them do a little of everything. Insulation one day, carpenter another, pipefitter another. It's hard enough to be genuinely skilled in one area, let alone trying to keep knowledge of multiple trades. I get a little rusty with pipefitting and welding if I don't do it for a while.

A reminder, this private unions I am talking about. Not public

It doesn't exist really. There are welding schools, but besides that I don't know of many trade schools.

Part of the reason I despise non union, the people who work for them do a little of everything. Insulation one day, carpenter another, pipefitter another. It's hard enough to be genuinely skilled in one area, let alone trying to keep knowledge of multiple trades. I get a little rusty with pipefitting and welding if I don't do it for a while.

there are thousands of trade schools, they are called technical high schools.

HTH

Pennsylvania College of Technology

https://www.pct.edu

They do exist.