Sign in to follow this  
TheRattler

Auction Draft Players Going Very High

So I went with a stars and scrubs strategy in 2016 and won my league. I spent $62, $54, and $31 on my top 3 picks. It seems as if a few managers noticed this and in 2017 the prices paid for top players went up almost 10%. The league is a 12 team league, non-PPR, standard scoring and lineup. In 2016 the top ten players went for an average of $59 topping out at $68 for number 1. In 2017, the top ten players went for an average of $64 topping out at $69 for number 1.

How do I capitalize on this? Do I stick to my strategy and just increase my budget for my top 3-4 picks, leaving even less for bench players and the flex spot? Or is there an angle to take and go against the grain for an advantage? I spent $166 on my top 4 players in 2016 when I won the league...

I talk about this a bit in my annual "Art of the Auction" piece.

My strategy has long been buying at the bottom of the top tiers, which I believe is even more advantageous this year since there is some depth at RB. You should get a solid core with two $40-ish RBs and two $30-ish WRs (assuming $200 cap), which will allow you to spend relatively high on a WR3/flex. No reason to go crazy at QB this year, and a guy like Delanie Walker should be cheap at TE.

I would aim for 2 studs, but it all depends. If more money is spent on studs, that leaves more room for 2nd and 3rd tier guys right? You still need studs. Just set a limit for each player and the roster you can build with the guys you want.

I would aim for 2 studs, but it all depends. If more money is spent on studs, that leaves more room for 2nd and 3rd tier guys right? You still need studs. Just set a limit for each player and the roster you can build with the guys you want.

The last part is the key. Get the guys you want. It is so much easier to do that in an auction than in a snake draft. Probably one of the reasons I always feel good after an auction is b/c it is made up of a team of guys I want, not a hodgepodge of guys - some of whom may have fallen in my lap and others because they were the next guy on my list.