Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Traffic question

2 lane road comes to a red light. The lane running north has a left hand turn lane and a signal that indicates when to turn left. South lane has no right signal but a right hand turn lane. If I am coming south and come to the redlight who has the right away? I can't tell from my side if green blinking arrow is lit up telling them to go from my side and there is no arrow saying its clear. I use it as a stop sign. Turn only when I am sure there is not a chance to get hit. But I watched someone have a mexican standoff over this just the other day.

If the left turn signal is green, he has the right of way. If he's stopped, I would assume the left turn signal is red and proceed with my right turn when safe to do so.

If you have a redlight you don't have the right of way. No other way to proceed other than the way you are currently doing it.

If you are coming south and it is red, you still need to come to a complete stop before turning right... Most people I would guess just go...

But does that person turning left through the green light have the right to that outside lane?

I mean if im coming the other way and want to turn right on red.....do i have claim to that lane.....while the turning left vehicle should be staying in the turn lane?

Always wondered this.

But does that person turning left through the green light have the right to that outside lane?

I mean if im coming the other way and want to turn right on red.....do i have claim to that lane.....while the turning left vehicle should be staying in the turn lane?

Always wondered this.

Technically when you turn onto a road with two or more lanes, you are supposed to turn into the one closest to you... So both drivers could turn at the same time, the one going south into the right lane and the one going north into the left lane... But 99.9% of the drivers don't do that causing the standoff...

• Like 1

Always wondered this.

they should stay to their interior lane. if the need to change lanes, they should do it later when the turn is completed and safe. in the town i live in, people are terrible about this. they come over during the turn. dangerously and inconsiderate.

• Like 1

Technically when you turn onto a road with two or more lanes, you are supposed to turn into the one closest to you... So both drivers could turn at the same time, the one going south into the right lane and the one going north into the left lane... But 99.9% of the drivers don't do that causing the standoff...

Yeah i was turning right on red.....but i was getting the stares and fingers.....so i just didnt bother anymore. Always wondered if whose fault that would be if he swung out and hit me.

Yeah i was turning right on red.....but i was getting the stares and fingers.....so i just didnt bother anymore. Always wondered if whose fault that would be if he swung out and hit me.

check your local traffic laws. here in CA, they need to stay in that original lane

If you are red and he has a green arrow to turn left, I think you would be at fault even if he did come over into your lane because of the red light...

• Like 1

The guy with the green light has right of way and you should be only right on red if it is completely clear. Technically, he could be turning left there and then immediately turning right which means he needs to have that right lane that you are looking to take illegally.

• Like 1

they should stay to their interior lane. if the need to change lanes, they should do it later when the turn is completed and safe. in the town i live in, people are terrible about this. they come over during the turn. dangerously and inconsiderate.

Yeah, way back in drivers ed we were taught that both should be able to turn at the same time, into the nearest lane. This assumes turning on to a two lane road.

I disagree. If you're turning right you should turn into the right (closest) lane. If you're turning left, with a left turn arrow giving you the right of way, you have the choice of turning into either lane.

The guy with the green light has right of way and you should be only right on red if it is completely clear. Technically, he could be turning left there and then immediately turning right which means he needs to have that right lane that you are looking to take illegally.

'zackly.

:thumbsup:

I might have to prove my GC toughness if someone turned right on a red while I'm turning left on a green.

I get p!ssed off when people blow through red lights. If my light is green and you're still in the intersection after blowing through a red light, you should be shot in the head. Okay, perhaps a little extreme.

We have that situation at an intersection near me. There is a mcdonalds's on the right and people turn left onto the inside lane then immediately switch to the right lane to make the right into mcdonalds. Most people turning onto that right turn lane will stop and let the left turn people have the right of way like they should.

Try and work it out with polite hand signals. And if a bicyclist gets involved with this pay them no mind. If you hit them don't worry about it, they don't belong on the road.

T they just rebuilt the street in front of our place. It's like six Lanes. Now, if you want to go left at a certain point you have to cross three lanes of oncoming traffic to get into a two-lane left hand turn lane. Yeah, I don't see anything going wrong there.

T they just rebuilt the street in front of our place. It's like six Lanes. Now, if you want to go left at a certain point you have to cross three lanes of oncoming traffic to get into a two-lane left hand turn lane. Yeah, I don't see anything going wrong there.

Will you be standing by to comfort the afflicted when there is an accident given your experience in such matters?

Will you be standing by to comfort the afflicted when there is an accident given your experience in such matters?

So why again did you have to change your Alias yet another time?

Yeah, way back in drivers ed we were taught that both should be able to turn at the same time, into the nearest lane. This assumes turning on to a two lane road.

Boy that just seems like a recipe for disaster. I get that its more efficient but I think whoever has the right of way should have their choice of lanes to turn into

We have an intersection with a dedicated right turn lane that becomes the right lane of a two-lane road. The turn lane is separated by a concrete curb for a short distance, then a solid white line on the left for about 20-30 feet. There is a yield sign at the beginning of this lane, but traffic on the cross street is blocked from entering by the curb followed by the solid white line. I always proceed at normal speed into the lane, making sure cars on the left don't immediately enter the right lane. In order for a car to do so, they'd have to break the law by crossing the solid white line or jumping the curb, but I wouldn't be yielding, so who would be at fault in an accident?

Try and work it out with polite hand signals. And if a bicyclist gets involved with this pay them no mind. If you hit them don't worry about it, they don't belong on the road.

:mad: Exactly how most motorists treat cyclists.

:mad: Exactly how most motorists treat cyclists.

As well they should. Bikes are one step up from a toy. They don't belong on main roadways. Side streets and trails.

As well they should. Bikes are one step up from a toy. They don't belong on main roadways. Side streets and trails.

Ghey

Always wondered this.

Good drivers know what to do. The person turning left takes the "passing" lane and you stay tight to the right lane. Merge together if and when necessary then. Easy peezy unless you are a focking retard.

Edit:

I see my point has been beaten to death. Sory.

Good drivers know what to do. The person turning left takes the "passing" lane and you stay tight to the right lane. Merge together if and when necessary then. Easy peezy unless you are a focking retard.

Edit:

I see my point has been beaten to death. Sory.

I agree but it's also like the highway entrance yield sign.... they never understand THEY have to yield to traffic not the other way around.

Like the turn lane we are talking about... probably something we covered when we were 16 but nobody remembers.

• Like 1

Twice. THIS WEEK. I have seen someone in the right lane almost cause an accident because they tried to go when the arrow is OBVIOUSLY green for the oncoming traffic to turn. Person the the right turn lane just turns right into oncoming traffic like its normal and something they are supposed to do. It is focking insane.

I disagree. If you're turning right you should turn into the right (closest) lane. If you're turning left, with a left turn arrow giving you the right of way, you have the choice of turning into either lane.

That's not what the law says in Colorado. You are legally supposed to turn into the nearest lane. Obviously at a double left turn lane, the outside lane takes the second lane but if it's a single left turn lane, you are supposed to turn into the nearest one.

I just assume that the person in the car turning left doesn't know how to drive. So I wait for them to complete the turn before I consider turning right.

I just assume that the person in the car turning left doesn't know how to drive. So I wait for them to complete the turn before I consider turning right.

Same, unfortunately.

What's the proper protocol for telling a driver who is swerving to PUT YOUR FOCKING PHONE DOWN!@#@.

TIA

What's the proper protocol for telling a driver who is swerving to PUT YOUR FOCKING PHONE DOWN!@#@.

TIA

I usually pull up beside them, honk my horn to get their attention, mimic holding a phone and shake my head... I usually get flipped off, but I feel better...

That's not what the law says in Colorado. You are legally supposed to turn into the nearest lane. Obviously at a double left turn lane, the outside lane takes the second lane but if it's a single left turn lane, you are supposed to turn into the nearest one.

Interesting. What if I'm turning left (single turn lane) but there's a gas station on the corner that I want to go to? If I have to turn into the nearest lane (left lane) how do I make the immediate right into the gas station without cutting across the right lane?

Interesting. What if I'm turning left (single turn lane) but there's a gas station on the corner that I want to go to? If I have to turn into the nearest lane (left lane) how do I make the immediate right into the gas station without cutting across the right lane?

You turn into the nearest lane and get over as soon as it's safe to do so.

You turn into the nearest lane and get over as soon as it's safe to do so.

So, basically, I have to go to another gas station down the road because by the time I complete my turn into the nearest lane I'm pretty much beyond the entrance to the one on the corner.

Go straight and enter the gas station on the other side... If it only has the one entrance, go straight and turn around...

This shouldn't be rocket surgery. If you are turning right and the light is red, you do not have the right of way. You stop. If there is a car waiting to turn left, they don't have a green arrow, you can turn right, glad I could help. If a car is pulling up to the left turn lane as you stop you wait and see what they do. If they turn (i.e., have a green arrow), you wait.

The concept of turning right in parallel to them turning left because they will stay in the far left lane is stupid. Yeah, maybe they should do it depending on your state's driving laws, but they won't more often than not. You might as well just smash your car into something and get it over with. Or wait a few seconds until they pass, that might be a plan. :dunno:

So, basically, I have to go to another gas station down the road because by the time I complete my turn into the nearest lane I'm pretty much beyond the entrance to the one on the corner.

That, or go straight and left turn into the gas station. That's what the law is at least.