Sign in to follow this  
Kansas bill would allow teachers to carry guns in schools...

http://www.kake.com/story/37816447/kansas-bill-would-allow-teachers-to-carry-guns-in-schools

Kansas educators could soon carry concealed guns to school.

This morning, the House Insurance Committee will have a hearing on House Bill 2789. The bill would help make Kansas staff as first emergency responders, known as the SAFER Act. It creates a statewide plan to allow teachers to carry guns.

The bill would also:

Make schools to create a comprehensive school safety plan, which would specify roles of law enforcement and emergency management teams.

Plans would be adopted by each district, as they work with the adjutant general, Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Kansas Department of Health and Environment and other state agencies deemed necessary by the school board.

Require districts to approve teachers who can participate. The teacher must have a license to carry a concealed handgun and desires to obtain a license with a SAFER schools endorsement to carry a concealed handgun in any building.

Ask districts to create a list of teachers approved. The list would be confidential. School boards would go into executive session to ensure the privacy of those involved.

Take effect by Jan. 1, 2019, if approved by the state.

The Kansas Association of School Boards and the United School Administrators of Kansas oppose the bill.

In testimony that will be presented to the committee, KASB and USA state: This section appears to create pressure to override that local decision-making authority by creating additional liability if boards do NOT allow concealed carry by employees.

Additionally, KASB and USA state: we do not believe the state knows individual district needs and values better than the local board members elected by the community and the educators working in those communities.

The Kansas House committee hearing is expected to take place at 8 a.m. KAKEs Lily Wu will be in Topeka covering the latest on the hearing. To see the house bill in its entirety, click here.

Lol.....lawmakers proposing something the schools (and probably 99% of teachers) dont want. How noble.

Lol.....lawmakers proposing something the schools (and probably 99% of teachers) dont want.

All they need is 1%. :dunno:

I'm surprised they are just gonna hand loaded guns over to people that have never handled a gun in their life and say "here ya go, shoot at whatever moves". And to think they are going to have the teachers just leave the loaded gun on their desks until they need it. Its some crazy things those conservative folks are forcing teachers to do. They should just hire an "official school shooter negotiator" to talk to the would be shooter. Ya know, talk some sense into him. Make him realize that violence isn't needed to solve any issue.

Thank God we now never have to worry about a school shooting in Kansas, since they have an army of trained educator / action heroes ready to identify a lethal threat, retrieve their loaded weapon from its lock box, and find / kill an active shooter on school property. :thumbsup:

Thank God we now never have to worry about a school shooting in Kansas, since they have an army of trained educator / action heroes ready to identify a lethal threat, retrieve their loaded weapon from its lock box, and find / kill an active shooter on school property. :thumbsup:

Thank god we don't have to worry about a shooting in any community with a policeman, because policeman will end all murder and gun violence. If this isn't true, why do we have police?

And, if your kid was in the school...and there was a shooter....I bet you would hope he doesn't kill your kid. If he is dead, he can't kill your kid. I'd rather have more trained good guys with gun around than less. You'd rather have school counselors on hand to console the kids after the school shooter has gone through, THEN use the shooting to push your agenda. I guess we will agree to have differences of opinion. You and libs are more about pushing your agenda than you are about saving lives. CNN is the same way. They love seeing school shootings. Its all about the agenda.

"My god! What? GUNS? Just what we need! Guns in school? !!!???? That's what the problem is in the first place!! More guns won't help it!" How many of you have heard that before? What political party was the person affiliated with? LOL. Yet these same folks will call the police when they have a problem, expecting the good guy with a gun to help them.

Thank god we don't have to worry about a shooting in any community with a policeman, because policeman will end all murder and gun violence. If this isn't true, why do we have police?

And, if your kid was in the school...and there was a shooter....I bet you would hope he doesn't kill your kid. If he is dead, he can't kill your kid. I'd rather have more trained good guys with gun around than less. You'd rather have school counselors on hand to console the kids after the school shooter has gone through, THEN use the shooting to push your agenda. I guess we will agree to have differences of opinion.

"My god! What? GUNS? Just what we need! Guns in school? !!!???? That's what the problem is in the first place!! More guns won't help it!" How many of you have heard that before? What political party was the person affiliated with? LOL.

Yeah I would prefer not every place I go or my kids go turn into airport security because you need dem guns. Yeehaw!!

Yeah I would prefer not every place I go or my kids go turn into airport security because you need dem guns. Yeehaw!!

So what is your other option?

And, if your kid was in the school...and there was a shooter....I bet you would hope he doesn't kill your kid. If he is dead, he can't kill your kid. I'd rather have more trained good guys with gun around than less. You'd rather have school counselors on hand to console the kids after the school shooter has gone through, THEN use the shooting to push your agenda. I guess we will agree to have differences of opinion.

"My god! What? GUNS? Just what we need! Guns in school? !!!???? That's what the problem is in the first place!! More guns won't help it!" How many of you have heard that before? What political party was the person affiliated with? LOL.

The point is, the chances of misuse of this firearm, even in the hands of someone with a small amount of training, is probably much higher than the firearm ever doing any good. If you could guarantee there would be no incidents involving armed teachers, then many more people would be on board. You can't, no one can.

Thank god we don't have to worry about a shooting in any community with a policeman, because policeman will end all murder and gun violence. If this isn't true, why do we have police?.

Unlike teachers, police are actually trained and paid to deal with a potentially lethal threat. No worries though: Ive learned from the GC that your average teacher will morph into Lt. Marion Cobretti after a few accredited gun badass courses. They should teach them gymkata too. :thumbsup:

Still wondering what happened to cyclone in his childhood that makes him absolutely petrified of guns.

Unlike teachers, police are actually trained and paid to deal with a potentially lethal threat. No worries though: Ive learned from the GC that your average teacher will morph into Lt. Marion Cobretti after a few accredited gun badass courses. They should teach them gymkata too. :thumbsup:

Have you ever fired a gun or used one in anyway? You act like its rocket science and good gun etiquette is pretty easy to follow.

Have you ever fired a gun or used one in anyway? You act like its rocket science and good gun etiquette is pretty easy to follow.

Of course it's easy, but people who have worked with firearms their whole lives still have incidents. And an incident involving a firearm leads to some pretty catastrophic shlt

I havent been to a firing range in almost 20 years. Good gun etiquette has almost nothing to do with a teachers ability to deal with a lethal threat like an expert.

Of course it's easy, but people who have worked with firearms their whole lives still have incidents. And an incident involving a firearm leads to some pretty catastrophic shlt

Sh!t happens and the world will never be perfect. While this isn't the solution I want it is better than leaving entire schools defenseless when something like this does actually happen. It isn't like the teachers are being forced to carry, only the ones willing to learn proper gun safety will seek this out.

• Like 1

So....you think its the uniform. Put on a cop uniform and suddenly, you are ready to tote a gun? Brilliant stuff! Sorry MDC, a cop uniform doesn't make you trained. Training does.

Many teachers are ALREADY fully capable of handling a weapon. We have 4 in our school that are part of the local National Guard unit. We have 2 others that have concealed carry permits.

You don't think these teachers would accept a bump in salary (heck....MANY would do it for FREE) to take additional training? You don't think a national guard member could handle a gun after a couple few classes?

You also think teachers are going to just start shooting wildly into a group of kids? LOL. Where are you getting these wild thoughts? Who taught you to think that way?

I'm guessing you are from a part of the country where you see thugs with guns in the news every night, and assume that everyone handles guns the same way. So living in a sh!t hole like that, I can see why you are paranoid. But it's not like that.

But I am still giggling over the fact you think a cop suit means you are trained with a gun. lol!

I havent been to a firing range in almost 20 years. Good gun etiquette has almost nothing to do with a teachers ability to deal with a lethal threat like an expert.

Mass shooters aren't highly trained shooters either, I know there is the occasional case where they did do training before they did their attack. But once this system takes off and teachers have a few years of training under their belts more often than not the teacher will have more training than the mass shooter, so what makes you think they couldn't handle a lethal attack but the mass shooter could?

• Like 1

Sh!t happens and the world will never be perfect. While this isn't the solution I want it is better than leaving entire schools defenseless when something like this does actually happen. It isn't like the teachers are being forced to carry, only the ones willing to learn proper gun safety will seek this out.

Hey you have to stop making sense... The left won't be able to handle it...

• Like 1

Still wondering what happened to cyclone in his childhood that makes him absolutely petrified of guns.

Psst.. considering I don't need one to function day-to-day or leave my house I wouldn't exactly say I'm the one that's afraid of very much. You need it I don't. Which one of us is paranoid?

If this proceeds, I think high schools should be targeted first since a majority of the shootings have taken place there...

Hey you have to stop making sense... The left won't be able to handle it...

Yeah the Parkland shooter had an armed officer and it still didn't deter him. But I'm sure Mary the librarian is going to instill a lot of fear. Is that the logic you think makes sense? Yikes

Psst.. considering I don't need one to function day-to-day or leave my house I wouldn't exactly say I'm the one that's afraid of very much. You need it I don't. Which one of us is paranoid?

Uh...no...you are seriously scared sh!tless of guns. We've all seen it on here. Having gun isn't paranoid. It makes sense. Being scared to be near one...that's focking poosay type stuff.

The point is, the chances of misuse of this firearm, even in the hands of someone with a small amount of training, is probably much higher than the firearm ever doing any good. If you could guarantee there would be no incidents involving armed teachers, then many more people would be on board. You can't, no one can.

So police should throw down their weapons. Can you guarantee all goes perfect in their world? Will they save everyone?

Brilliant.

Got any more great ideas?

Uh...no...you are seriously scared sh!tless of guns. We've all seen it on here. Having gun isn't paranoid. It makes sense. Being scared to be near one...that's focking poosay type stuff.

Lol uh huh. Partner I could probably bowl you down the street. So Don't bother with the tough-guy act. And I sure as crap guarantee you I've lived in crappier neighborhoods. Still didn't need one.

You need a gun and your blankie to feel safe? Knock yourself out. Not needing a gun isn't being scared of a gun. Hope that helps. Thoughts and prayers bro

So police should throw down their weapons.

Brilliant.

Got any more great ideas?

That's all you could come up with?... I was throwing out my view on it, and that's how you twisted it? I feel sorry for anyone who has to converse with you on any regular basis. I assume they have considered ways to get around any contact with you, or at least limiting it to a bare minimum.

I will talk to 90s about this then because he's more mature in his 20s than you are in your 60s

• Like 1

Yeah the Parkland shooter had an armed officer and it still didn't deter him. But I'm sure Mary the librarian is going to instill a lot of fear. Is that the logic you think makes sense? Yikes

Chicago has cops. Doesn't deter the killers there.

I guess we get rid of cops. They don't do any good.

I'll be serious for once.

It (armed officers or teachers in school) will deter a few.

And in a few other instances, the good guy in the school will kill the shooter after he has killed 2 or 3 rather than 20 or 30.

In a few instances, the cop will run outside scared.

And, the risk is minimal. No one is saying hand guns to people on parole for domestic violence or with tourettes syndrome. There are viable options within every school. If you disagree...then we agree to disagree.

Lol uh huh. Partner I could probably bowl you down the street. So Don't bother with the tough-guy act. And I sure as crap guarantee you I've lived in crappier neighborhoods. Still didn't need one.

You need a gun and your blankie to feel safe? Knock yourself out. Not needing a gun isn't being scared of a gun. Hope that helps. Thoughts and prayers bro

Someones a badazz!

Chicago has cops. Doesn't deter the killers there.

I guess we get rid of cops. They don't do any good.

I'll be serious for once.

It (armed officers or teachers in school) will deter a few.

And in a few other instances, the good guy in the school will kill the shooter after he has killed 2 or 3 rather than 20 or 30.

In a few instances, the cop will run outside scared.

And, the risk is minimal. No one is saying hand guns to people on parole for domestic violence or with tourettes syndrome. There are viable options within every school. If you disagree...then we agree to disagree.

I said before I am all for a trained police officer or military person should be there. I don't want Susie the home ec teacher doing it. She's there to teach.

If schools can figure out a way to make it work in their budget. I'm all for it.

I still don't think that really addresses the problem. It's just putting a Band-Aid over it and probably just usherint this person to a mall or other crowded place.

That's all you could come up with?... I was throwing out my view on it, and that's how you twisted it? I feel sorry for anyone who has to converse with you on any regular basis. I assume they have considered ways to get around any contact with you, or at least limiting it to a bare minimum.

I will talk to 90s about this then because he's more mature in his 20s than you are in your 60s

A.) i did twist it. It got my point across.

B.) I saw your post as twisted also.

C.) Good. Talk to him. He makes sense with this. Oh...I'm not quite 60.

Mass shooters aren't highly trained shooters either, I know there is the occasional case where they did do training before they did their attack. But once this system takes off and teachers have a few years of training under their belts more often than not the teacher will have more training than the mass shooter, so what makes you think they couldn't handle a lethal attack but the mass shooter could?

Still want MDC to answer this or cyclone. Either one will do.

I said before I am all for a trained police officer or military person should be there. I don't want Susie the home ec teacher doing it. She's there to teach.

If schools can figure out a way to make it work in their budget. I'm all for it.

I still don't think that really addresses the problem. It's just putting a Band-Aid over it and probably just usherint this person to a mall or other crowded place.

I don't think Susie-homemaker should have a gun either. And she won't. She won't want to. But there are plenty in schools that will want to. Some are already trained..or will be willing to train.

And yes, she is there to teach. And if she knows that every 8 rooms in that school have a trained person with a gun, she may be able to teach better.

I think its the best feasible solution. I don't see it as a band-aid.

A.) i did twist it. It got my point across.

B.) I saw your post as twisted also.

C.) Good. Talk to him. He makes sense with this. Oh...I'm not quite 60.

I thought it was pretty simple and to the point... training with firearms, small amounts more specifically, like the teachers would receive, does not eliminate the possibility of an accident.

So....you think its the uniform. Put on a cop uniform and suddenly, you are ready to tote a gun? Brilliant stuff! Sorry MDC, a cop uniform doesn't make you trained. Training does.

Many teachers are ALREADY fully capable of handling a weapon. We have 4 in our school that are part of the local National Guard unit. We have 2 others that have concealed carry permits.

You don't think these teachers would accept a bump in salary (heck....MANY would do it for FREE) to take additional training? You don't think a national guard member could handle a gun after a couple few classes?

You also think teachers are going to just start shooting wildly into a group of kids? LOL. Where are you getting these wild thoughts? Who taught you to think that way?

I'm guessing you are from a part of the country where you see thugs with guns in the news every night, and assume that everyone handles guns the same way. So living in a sh!t hole like that, I can see why you are paranoid. But it's not like that.

But I am still giggling over the fact you think a cop suit means you are trained with a gun. lol!

No, I don't think it's the uniform. In addition to superior training, most cops have actual real world experience in dealing with a violent / potentially lethal armed threat, unlike 99.9% of gun owners.

I am not necessarily against the idea of teachers who already have a CC permit carrying in schools if they choose to do that. I am dead set against the idea of the government incentivizing teachers to carry their weapons to school. You are now encouraging people beyond the handful of highly trained teachers to start bringing their weapons to school and preparing for the improbably event of a shooting. You're going to get underprepared people and the wrong people bringing guns to school.

I don't think teachers will start shooting randomly at kids. I think a teacher may make the wrong call on when to engage a shooter, thereby putting his/herself and other kids at risk. I think a teacher may get shot by police who arrive and mistake him or her for the shooter. And yeah, I think even if the majority of teachers properly secure their handguns I think there is the risk that they misuse it or it ends up in the hands of students.

I live in the Northeast, don't watch the news, and I'm not anti gun ownership.

You're really giggling? That's embarrassing for you.

1. The shooter will still have them out gunned. I don't foresee a teacher carrying some sort of long assault rifle.

2. The shooter will most assuredly take them by surprise. He has this element in his favor.

3. The teacher will have a self-preservation to get home that the shooter will not have. This is just in a teachers DNA which is probably why they are teachers and not trained officers, military, etc that understand they could die every single day.

4. I don't see this deterring anything. It may change the way the shooter Procedes. Maybe he can't just go into the school and while they shoot. Maybe now he sneaks the gun into a large classroom and make sure he shoots the teacher first then all the students in it and then just takes his chances. IMO now teachers are getting shot first then the students. I'm not sure how we can say that's a win.

Mass shooters generally have the advantage of actually expecting to die. It's probably easier for the shooter to randomly kill a bunch of students than it is for the teacher to surgically murder the one active shooter don't you think?

I am guessing they are gonna say the shooter just sprays and shoots wildly all over. While the teacher needs precision.

But its the same way with police.

I said it earlier. I'd rather have 8 trained people with guns ready to eliminate a threat vs. 0 or 1.

And as a deterrent ? Yeah...maybe not, the more I think of it. Many school shooters are willing to go out in a burst of flames so they are willing to die anyway. ...but...that doesn't change anything. I'd still rather have a good guy with gun there to eliminate them.

Mass shooters generally have the advantage of actually expecting to die. It's probably easier for the shooter to randomly kill a bunch of students than it is for the teacher to surgically murder the one active shooter don't you think?

Fair point, but I don't think that advantage trumps a decently trained school teacher protecting his students. Many people would forget about themselves and only their only goal would be to protect the kids and that in a way is expecting to die.

• Like 1