Sign in to follow this  
mahoney

Waiver Wire etiquette-Playoff Edition

Chime in folks:

How do you feel if teams that are out of the playoffs are making waiver wire pick ups.

What if those who are out of the playoff race are playing against teams that are fighting for playoff spots.

What if teams fighting for playoff spots are hoping to snag the same players that are picked up by those out of the playoff hunt?

(i.e. Team X is out of playoff hunt but due to injuries, cannot field a competitive roster and is playing against Team B-who is hoping to make the playoffs. Team X up Legarrette or Latavius)

Team A snuck into the playoffs but due to injuries is thin at RB and would benefit from a player like Legarrette or Latavius...gets mad that team out of playoffs is making transactions.

This is not an issue for me in my two main leagues, or usually in any league. Teams that are eliminated from the playoffs in one league, might still be fighting for the consolation round (and there's money to be won there too). In another league, the playoff pool is very NBA-like with only 4 teams of 10 eliminated. That means most are still fighting to slip into the playoffs.

I suppose it would be an issue were there is no consolation round and the playoff pool is small, where there are teams clearly eliminated, but this seems like it might be a small sample to me.

Great feedback...thanks. Toilet Bowl and weekly prizes always get brought up but never put into place in our league.

I don't mind guys still playing hard to win even if eliminated. Every game should be like it is a playoff game. Besides, if I'm needing a bottom team to beat a team for me to get into playoffs I want that bottom team as strong as can be.

• Like 2

Just because a team is out of the playoffs does not mean they should not be allowed to put together a competitive team to play spoiler.

• Like 2

Have waivers auction style with limited accessible funds each year. That reduces the likelihood of problems and prevents teams that just feed off waivers to support their crappy team.

Nope, WW should be a free for all for everyone all season.

As other posters mentioned, teams who are eliminated can take on the spoiler role. You have to give them something to play for.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pear Harbor!??!

These teams can still win something.

Our Toilet Bowl winner gets extra keeper potential and their choice of draft position next year. Its a nice carrot and no money is taken from the winners

We play a 14 game schedule to reach the playoffs and I don't see any reason that every team shouldn't be expected to compete hard throughout.

I'd be much more concerned if teams quit when the deck was stacked against them. Competitive balance only results from competition.

Chime in folks:

How do you feel if teams that are out of the playoffs are making waiver wire pick ups.

What if those who are out of the playoff race are playing against teams that are fighting for playoff spots.

What if teams fighting for playoff spots are hoping to snag the same players that are picked up by those out of the playoff hunt?

(i.e. Team X is out of playoff hunt but due to injuries, cannot field a competitive roster and is playing against Team B-who is hoping to make the playoffs. Team X up Legarrette or Latavius)

Team A snuck into the playoffs but due to injuries is thin at RB and would benefit from a player like Legarrette or Latavius...gets mad that team out of playoffs is making transactions.

What are the league rules ? Do they have. Flex schedule? Do they say that a team that won't make the playoffs can not pick up free agents ? Do they say that the team out of the playoffs must roll over and let the other teams fighting for a playoff spot win ? . If not then they can still play on .

Don't mind teams making claims.....if they're picking players up to help them that week. Stashing players. :nono:

I'm 4-8 in one league and wait until Sunday morning before I make any moves in order to allow teams ahead of me first dibs.

We play a 14 game schedule to reach the playoffs and I don't see any reason that every team shouldn't be expected to compete hard throughout.

I'd be much more concerned if teams quit when the deck was stacked against them. Competitive balance only results from competition.

We have a few rules in our league to mitigate this.

1. Teams who are bottom seeds play for a guaranteed random lottery from the first 6 picks in the first round of the draft next year.

2. Owners who quit or don't set full lineups week to week are warned they may not be invited back.

3. There is a secondary playoff pool for teams who are eliminated with a small cash prize.

Don't mind teams making claims.....if they're picking players up to help them that week. Stashing players. :nono:

I'm 4-8 in one league and wait until Sunday morning before I make any moves in order to allow teams ahead of me first dibs.

Hey manage your team how you like but this makes no sense to me. Even if you don't have a weekly high score or toilet bowl.

In the regular season each team should play to win the games and give it their all. To be honest not doing so is what is unfair. Lets say team A and B are fighting for a playoff spot and you played team A in week 3, trying your best and you play team B in week 13 just half assing it. That's whats unfair.

All teams should be as competitive as they can be in all weeks of the regular season.

Now, once the playoffs start then non-playoff teams (eliminated teams) have their rosters locked.

If it is a keeper league of any sort, 1 man, 2 man, dynasty etc, waiver wire has to remain open to all teams. One playoff weeks lightning strike could mean keeper gold next season.

Hey manage your team how you like but this makes no sense to me. Even if you don't have a weekly high score or toilet bowl.

In the regular season each team should play to win the games and give it their all. To be honest not doing so is what is unfair. Lets say team A and B are fighting for a playoff spot and you played team A in week 3, trying your best and you play team B in week 13 just half assing it. That's whats unfair.

All teams should be as competitive as they can be in all weeks of the regular season.

Now, once the playoffs start then non-playoff teams (eliminated teams) have their rosters locked.

Just because I defer doesn't mean I'm half assin' it. I'm 4-8 but second in points:

Brees

Forsett

Murray

Green

Sanders

Gordon

Donnell

Parker

Packers

Had Bradshaw and have started Benjamin too. I've got plenty of good players to set my lineup every week. Why do I need to go pick up Latavius? For depth? In case of injuries? Just feels like I'm cockblocking someone purely because I have higher priority.

Now, if I check in Sunday morning and Latavius is still there? I'll scoop him up because retards shouldn't be rewarded for being retarded.

I only started doing this week 12 once I was eliminated. I still beat the second place team by 80. I play the third place team this week and will look to add a defense. I'll smoke that focker too.

Just feels like I'm cockblocking someone purely because I have higher priority.

You shouldn't feel that way is all I'm saying. By taking the pedal off the metal you are letting another person get a player they may actually start when if this was week 3, that wouldn't have happened. It's actually somewhat "unfair" to the opponent of the team one spot below you on the waiver order. (If you actually/normally would pick up that player but just aren't because of your record and you are being "nice")

It's not cockblocking, its playing till the whistle.

Now once the playoffs start, teams are eliminated, etc. their rosters should be locked. Thats different.

You shouldn't feel that way is all I'm saying. By taking the pedal off the metal you are letting another person get a player they may actually start when if this was week 3, that wouldn't have happened. It's actually somewhat "unfair" to the opponent of the team one spot below you on the waiver order. (If you actually/normally would pick up that player but just aren't because of your record and you are being "nice")

Now once the playoffs start, teams are eliminated, etc. their rosters should be locked. Thats different.

Yes, teams out of playoffs once they start have rosters locked.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

I'm already allowing teams out of playoffs make add/drops.

I have a few whiny owners in the playoffs who I anticipate complaining...

We have a few rules in our league to mitigate this.

1. Teams who are bottom seeds play for a guaranteed random lottery from the first 6 picks in the first round of the draft next year.

2. Owners who quit or don't set full lineups week to week are warned they may not be invited back.

3. There is a secondary playoff pool for teams who are eliminated with a small cash prize.

We're an old line league of friends who would prefer the bragging rights to the prize money (though nobody has ever turned it down).

No extras for having a bad year. No consolation pool.

Everybody plays. Somebody wins.

We're an old line league of friends who would prefer the bragging rights to the prize money (though nobody has ever turned it down).

No extras for having a bad year. No consolation pool.

Everybody plays. Somebody wins.

Most guys in my league are the same, usually some newbies come on now and then and need to be reminded if they tank, they won't be invited back. I do really like the idea of giving people somthing to play for, even if it's forward thinking for next year, people respond to incentives.

If I pick up a player without the intent of ever using that player, and am only doing that so someone else can't start him....it's the very definition of cockblocking.

Whatever...semantics....who cares....play to win the game :Herm:

There is absolutely no such thing as waiver wire "etiquette", imo. Playoffs or no, it's a free for all. And as it should be.

Pissed off commish today he got mad being we have a new rule Max 7 RB/WR combo

I was over by 1 so I dropped Calvin J this morning

I'm now 4-8 and out of playoffs however I am not paying another 5 dollar penalty for this non productive pos

Until the waivers are locked for playoffs I will add and drop players regardless of playoff positioning. That includes adding players that I may not even use to strengthen my bench.

i don't get people not participating in waivers to make their team stronger (including bench) once out of playoffs. They allow those bottom seeds a chance at claiming players who shouldn't be available. My guess is the guy not using waivers is friends with the lower seed and colluding to help his buddy.

Until the waivers are locked for playoffs I will add and drop players regardless of playoff positioning. That includes adding players that I may not even use to strengthen my bench.

i don't get people not participating in waivers to make their team stronger (including bench) once out of playoffs. They allow those bottom seeds a chance at claiming players who shouldn't be available. My guess is the guy not using waivers is friends with the lower seed and colluding to help his buddy.

We have rolling waivers, so bottom seeds could very well be ahead of me. It's all so unfair. :rolleyes:

Also, what's to stop an owner from claiming a player to block his buddy's opponent from picking him up and starting him? When non playoff teams start parking players on their benches, you open yourself up to possible collusion.

If owners want to play the wire to improve their lineups, I'm all for it. Otherwise it's just bad juju.

I just found out today that our league reverses the order for waiver wire claims in the playoffs. Higher seeds get first crack at the WW.

I just found out today that our league reverses the order for waiver wire claims in the playoffs. Higher seeds get first crack at the WW.

That's a great idea.

yes, this is how we've been doing it for years, works fantastic

What's the rationale behind that?

What's the rationale behind that?

Gives higher seeds a distinct playoff advantage? Honestly I think at this point in the season, barring injuries, the WW is picked pretty clean and most of the good teams have players that are better than anything on the WW.

Gives higher seeds a distinct playoff advantage? Honestly I think at this point in the season, barring injuries, the WW is picked pretty clean and most of the good teams have players that are better than anything on the WW.

this is true, but if there are needs it's a great way to make sure playoff teams get first dibs

Great feedback...thanks. Toilet Bowl and weekly prizes always get brought up but never put into place in our league.

Make everyone play for something till end

I like any idea that keeps people in for something. I started out 0-4 one year then 1-5. I was out as it gets. Still made moves. People didn't like me grabbing guys after I was eliminated commissioner was glad I didn't give up to give guys easy wins.

I like any idea that keeps people in for something. I started out 0-4 one year then 1-5. I was out as it gets. Still made moves. People didn't like me grabbing guys after I was eliminated commissioner was glad I didn't give up to give guys easy wins.

Never played in a league where guys got mad for other teams trying to win out their games

Some people play with some weak competition

this is true, but if there are needs it's a great way to make sure playoff teams get first dibs

pretty much this.

Pissed off commish today he got mad being we have a new rule Max 7 RB/WR combo

I was over by 1 so I dropped Calvin J this morning

I'm now 4-8 and out of playoffs however I am not paying another 5 dollar penalty for this non productive pos

I wonder why your commish was pissed :doh: