Sign in to follow this  
BLS

Generic Self Defense Question - Geared for everyone....

The bold part: Dont most of these questions apply when youre making the decision whether to draw a gun in your own defense or that of your family, too?

Yes but not to the extent you might think.

Example, if I'm willing to pull my gun and use it in a defensive situation, whether or not he had friends isn't going to change my mind on how to deal with him.

I might have to shoot three guys instead of one so yes I need that info. But I'm already committed so it won't change my approach.

In the mall context, I may or may not engage based on how much is known and what may be unknown.

Exactly. And most of them cant be answered quickly/definitively enough in a life-or-death situation.

Based on how much training that you've had?

Walking out of a bar with a friend and our girlfriends 15 years ago I look over and see a dude grab the back of this girls head and smash it into the side of their car. Obvious domestic violence something. Instinct sort of stepped in and I was like Whoah dude WTF, man and started walking over there. Guy said mind your focking business. I did not, said a few words back. Next thing I know hes coming at me. We fight, I break my hand punching this guy.

Thats not the story though. Mid fist fight his girlfriend gets in the fray and is kicking at ME saying leave my boyfriend alone!. Some Stockholm Syndrome BS or something.

WTF

Moral of the story. People are crazy, I look out for me, my family and friends now only.

Training is good, but real world experience also matters.

This. And it matters more. I can watch a YouTube video to get training.

Yes but not to the extent you might think.

Example, if I'm willing to pull my gun and use it in a defensive situation, whether or not he had friends isn't going to change my mind on how to deal with him.

I might have to shoot three guys instead of one so yes I need that info. But I'm already committed so it won't change my approach.

In the mall context, I may or may not engage based on how much is known and what may be unknown.

My point is the decision to use a gun in self defense / defense of your family is going to be a judgment call too, and you risk getting yourself or other people hurt if you make the wrong decision. Im talking outside the home / a CC situation.