Sign in to follow this  
dpbuddha

Tier 1 QBs...I count 6 of them.

Let's just go by FFToday rankings to simplify this a little bit. I'm leaving Rivers out, as did FFToday. All 6 of these guys are projected to have 4,000+ yards and 26+ PaTDs.

Aaron Rodgers ..GB 10 368 604 4,226 31 12 51 211 3 374.4

Drew Brees .......NO 10 413 645 4,580 33 13 18 44. 0 365.4

Tom Brady ........NE 5. 356 556 4,278 30 14 33 66. 1 346.5

Peyton Manning .IND 7 352 542 4,279 30 13 20 22. 1 342.2

Tony Romo ........DAL 4 343 545 4,089 27 12 24 99. 1 328.4

Matt Schaub ......HOU 7 343 545 4,140 26 17 17 66. 1 323.6

There are the projections put together by FFToday and it shows that each of the top 6 QBs are within 14% of eachother as far as their projected production this season. What you see in mock drafts, however, is that Rodgers/Brees/Manning are often going in the first round/early 2nd round, while guys like Romo (3.07 ADP), Brady (3.12 ADP), and Shaub (4.07 ADP) can be had at what I think is a much better value. In my mind, looking at each of these teams, an argument can be made that any one of these 6 has a legitimate chance at being the league leader in fantasy points scored this season.

Especially in my auction league, I think that I can use this to my advantage. The top 4 QBs will likely go for around $40-50, but the price for Shaub, who will hopefully have Daniels all season, will be more like $23. Given my feeling that any one of these 6 guys could take the #1 spot, I would feel pretty good with Shaub at that price. Yes, Rodgers is the odds-on favorite to top the league but I don't think anyone else has a realistic chance to be #1 outside of these 6. Seems like 1/2 price for a guy that is projected to produce 86% of Rodgers' FFPts is a good deal to me.

Thoughts?

While I don't have him being the best QB overall, I do have Romo as the QB out of the top 6 who have the best value slightly, based on where he is drafted.

Let's just go by FFToday rankings to simplify this a little bit. I'm leaving Rivers out, as did FFToday. All 6 of these guys are projected to have 4,000+ yards and 26+ PaTDs.

There are the projections put together by FFToday and it shows that each of the top 6 QBs are within 14% of eachother as far as their projected production this season. What you see in mock drafts, however, is that Rodgers/Brees/Manning are often going in the first round/early 2nd round, while guys like Romo (3.07 ADP), Brady (3.12 ADP), and Shaub (4.07 ADP) can be had at what I think is a much better value. In my mind, looking at each of these teams, an argument can be made that any one of these 6 has a legitimate chance at being the league leader in fantasy points scored this season.

Especially in my auction league, I think that I can use this to my advantage. The top 4 QBs will likely go for around $40-50, but the price for Shaub, who will hopefully have Daniels all season, will be more like $23. Given my feeling that any one of these 6 guys could take the #1 spot, I would feel pretty good with Shaub at that price. Yes, Rodgers is the odds-on favorite to top the league but I don't think anyone else has a realistic chance to be #1 outside of these 6. Seems like 1/2 price for a guy that is projected to produce 86% of Rodgers' FFPts is a good deal to me.

Thoughts?

Raise your hand if you have won your league going RB/RB in the first two rounds last year? I bet there aren't as many hands going up as there used to be. I have spoken with a few FF owners who play in different leagues and most of them say they will be going QB earlier than they have in the past. It's a throwing league today and 30 TD's with 4000+ yards beats the averages of a 2nd or 3rd tier RB who might get 1200-1400 yards from scrimage and ten TD's. If your league awards 6 points for TD's and 1 point per 25 yards passing, it's a no brainer to have one of these top QB's over a third tier RB. I personally have never drafted a QB before the 6th round in my main league. I usually wait until then and draft QB's back to back and hope I pick the right one each week. So far it's worked out well, but this years QB's drop off fast. I don't agree that the QB pool is deep this year The weinner of our league had the 12 pick and went Chris Johnson-Randy Moss-Matt Schaub 1-2-3. I think more peole will use this stratergy this year. I sgree with your list.

I'd add Rivers to that list, especially if Jackson comes back from his suspension rather than holding out.

When I draft a top tier QB, I want all aspects of his game to have high floors, with number one potential as a ceiling. When I see Manning or Brees, I know I'm also getting a healthy QB behind a sturdy offensive line. I view Schaub as a QB that is getting drafted a little too highly for me due to a career year. I still like the potential upside a lot, but I couldn't take Schaub in the 3rd round at the tail end of a run.

I have short yet concise tiers this year for my quarterbacks.

Tier 1: Rodgers, Brees, Manning. Tail end of round 1 talent. In pass heavy leagues, these guys could be off the board starting at pick 6. You know what you're getting as a floor. Rodgers had 28 and 30 TDs respectively in this first two seasons as a starter. Brees has averaged 30.5 TD's a season in New Orleans. Manning has NEVER thrown less than 26 TD's in a season. Last season Matt Schaub had a career year, and threw 29. To pair Schaub and these guys in the same tier is just not logical.

Tier 1a: Brady, Romo, Rivers. These guys all have the potential and skills to match or exceed the numbers put up by the other three...however I see question marks about other aspects of their offense that makes me not want to give up a 2nd rounder for their services. I'd gladly take any of the three in the 3rd round depending on how the rest of the league is drafting. Again, I feel these guys are going to have GREAT years this season...and they should be considered elite QBs fantasy-wise...but they are not the aforementioned three.

Tier 2: Schaub. Yep...just him. He's going to have a great year fantasy-wise providing he plays the entire season again. The Texans first nine games could all be extremely high scoring games for their offense, or at least have the potential for Schaub to throw for a bunch of points. But they play some tough teams in the 2nd half of the season. Tennessee twice, Baltimore, Philly, and the Jets. Their running game is a quagmire as well. If Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter step up and play effectively, and Owen Daniels comes even remotely close to what he was last season, Schaub can exceed expectations and come close to matching the numbers put up by the top tier guys. But he's not there yet...and I won't draft him as if he already is.

Thoughts?

I would easily add Rivers and probably Favre to this list. Rivers lost a weapon in V-Jax but others will step up. As far as Favre, he is ageless and will play another 16 gms. You know he will!

Here is how I rank my "BIG 8" QBs:

1. Rogers (1a or 1b)

2. Brees (see "Rogers")

3. P. Manning (will not finish #1 but probably the safest QB of the bunch)

4. Romo (could wind up top overall)

5. Schaub (if you could guarentee he would play all 16 he would be higher)

6. Brady (weather at end of year ALWAYS an issue)

7. Rivers (unknown weapons are anly concern-great potential and system)

8. Favre (age and return are possible concerns-great supporting cast and system)

After this I see a hodge-podge of possibilities but the four I like are Eli Manning, Cutler, Kolb & Flacco.

Don't buy into the hype: McNabb, Palmer, Ryan

Possible top 10 by year's end: Henne, Stafford

I would easily add Rivers and probably Favre to this list. Rivers lost a weapon in V-Jax but others will step up. As far as Favre, he is ageless and will play another 16 gms. You know he will!

Here is how I rank my "BIG 8" QBs:

1. Rogers (1a or 1b)

2. Brees (see "Rogers")

3. P. Manning (will not finish #1 but probably the safest QB of the bunch)

4. Romo (could wind up top overall)

5. Schaub (if you could guarentee he would play all 16 he would be higher)

6. Brady (weather at end of year ALWAYS an issue)

7. Rivers (unknown weapons are anly concern-great potential and system)

8. Favre (age and return are possible concerns-great supporting cast and system)

After this I see a hodge-podge of possibilities but the four I like are Eli Manning, Cutler, Kolb & Flacco.

Don't buy into the hype: McNabb, Palmer, Ryan

Possible top 10 by year's end: Henne, Stafford

Manning comes with a caveat that you must have another productive and reliable QB for weeks 15 & 16 (& 17 if your league goes to that dark foresaken place). Manning and Wayne have killed playoff teams in those weeks.

p.s. Rivers is part of my top 7. after those 7, the drop off is ridiculous. Cutler? Please! Kolb an unknown. Would probably go Flacco next, then Kolb then stoopidhead Cutler.

Manning comes with a caveat that you must have another productive and reliable QB for weeks 15 & 16 (& 17 if your league goes to that dark foresaken place). Manning and Wayne have killed playoff teams in those weeks.

p.s. Rivers is part of my top 7. after those 7, the drop off is ridiculous. Cutler? Please! Kolb an unknown. Would probably go Flacco next, then Kolb then stoopidhead Cutler.

I don't like Rivers unless Vjax is a definite for the season otherwise they have terrible underachieving WRs outside of Gates plus a rookie tailback. People are in love with Flacco but he hasn't shown much in fantasy and is in a run-oriented offense though he could improve with Cameron. Kolb is an unknown but the pass-first system and great skill players will make him a solid bet even if he has 1 or 2 terrible games. Eli is underrated but could be solid with up and coming WRs. Favre should be ahead of these QBs, but I feel that eventually his age will catch up and he will be injured.

Why would you leave out Rivers, even without VJax. What a joke. The falloff from VJax to Malcom Floyd is not that much, Gates is still option #1, and Naanee and Buster will be just fine catching the wide open passes they get as checkoffs. He maybe takes a 300 yd, 3 td hit without VJax.

I see schaub as more likely to miss games and wouldnt spend a top 4rnds pick on a guy like that. Like another guy said, taking a qb high demands top of the league potential. After romo/brady, im waiting for eli/favre. if I miss those 2 ill go into panic mode and take flacco/kolb/palmer/mcnabb. I wont draft cutler (our league gives -6 to the qb for a pick6!).

Didn't Eli Manning throw for over 4000 yds and 27 TD's last year? This might warrant him being on/close to this list. I have some issues with him, but he sure does have pedigree on his side and some up and coming receivers.

Tier 1 consists of Brees, Manning, Brady and Rodgers.

Schaub is Tier 2 because of his injury history:

2009: 16 games played

2008: 11 games played

2007: 11 games played

Before that he was a backup. It's possible that Schaub could end up being the #1 fantasy QB in 2010, but it's also possible that you'll only have him for two-thirds of the season. That's too much of a risk for taking him in the first 2-3 rounds, imo.

So tier 2 should be Schaub, Romo, and Rivers. I would actually consider Eli Manning there, but I think he is better viewed as the top of tier 3.

this thread tells me 1 thing

I am going RB/WR/RB and would be estatic with Rivers in the 4th, he is getting zero respect, he will be just fine with Legadu, Davis, Floyd, and Gates and Sproles and Mathews, and Tolbert, and McMichael, who will be lined up in a ton of 2 TE sets with Gates playing the WR

Thoughts?

I think you are spot on saying all these guys are tier 1. In my mind the QB position can really slide this year. There are a handful of "Tier 2" guys that could finish the season in Tier 1. When you've got 6 already pretty assured to finish Tier 1, and you are in a 10 Team league, then only 4 more have to show for everyone to wash each other out. I think there are at least that many, so the QB position is one I am going to slide this year. I think WR is the one to get early and often outside of the first 5 picks (RB in that case). In my dream scenario, I go RB, WR, WR with two stud WRs hopefully falling to me in the 3rd round (possible).