Sign in to follow this  
GuardBum

2017 Season Chat

sometimes the chess element to this league is just as important as anything else.

this week against Lambert was the perfect example. I knew I shouldn't have started Matt Moore but I was chasing wins and strikeouts when in reality, they were likely out of reach. All I accomplished was giving away the ERA category (which would have made it an 11-6 week).

so today, I was about to start Matt Andriese until I realized wins, strikeouts and quality starts were all out of reach. Whip and losses were close and Lambert had 3 guys going. If 2 of them got knocked around and took losses, I could steal back Whip and Losses and if they all played great and got wins and piled up strikeouts, no harm done..... so I just sat Andriese and behold, Shelby Miller and John Lackey complied.

These types of decisions come into play almost weekly if you're paying close attention.

:wall: 10-7 week drops me from 6th to 7th

I like to look at stats > totals every now and then to see where i'm struggling. Definitely bad in a few categories but overall, doesn't feel like a 7th place team through 3 weeks.

Runs - 1st

Singles - 2nd

Doubles - 2nd

Triples - 1st

HRs - T9th

RBI - 6th

Steals - 4th

Walks - 2nd

Errors - T10th

Wins - 3rd

Losses - 3rd

Saves - 2nd

Strikeouts - 12th

Holds - 7th

ERA - 3rd

WHIP - 3rd

Q-Starts - T14th

Top 3 in 10 of 16 categories and sitting 7th? :mad:

Considering I had zero as late as Thursday, I suppose I'll take it. <_<

Wrong week to face the Mets. :doh:

From 5th to 11th in one week.

Wrong week to play as the Mets

Donaldson calf DL. Howell shoulder. DLSanchez blister DL. Happ waiting to find out his ailment. My fantasy team Graveman on DL, Price still out til May. Where I had depth and a strength at SP suddenly have 4 now not pitching. And the hitters aren't really doing anything with the Jays at or near the bottom of the league in almost every offensive category.

Let's add some more injuries. Even my back ups are hurt. Happ did end up on DL, Davis has been day to day for a week, Tulo DL, Aaron Hill DL.

At least Thames has been a bright spot. Let's hope it's real. I'm not expecting this pace all year but as long as there isn't a suspension from it and he can stay somewhat productive. I'll be happy with one piece of good news.

someone explain holds to me. seriously

so I only noticed this because I have Jake McGee.

Adam Ottavino came in to pitch the 8th inning. He pitched .1 innings and put 3 men on base. McGee comes in, induces a soft liner to short that the SS lets one hop to try and get the double play. They get the force at second base but the runner beats the throw to first and a run scores. McGee reties the next batter AND goes on to pitch a scoreless 9th.

McGee gets charged with a blown save

Ottavino gets a hold

:dunno:

the runners on base in the 8th were all inherited runners put on by Ottavino. Ottavino was charged with the earned run, NOT McGee.

I understand McGee not getting a hold. A blown save seems a little extreme.... but how on earth does Ottavino get a hold for doing absolutely nothing but loading the bases and being charged with the ER that tied the game?

someone explain holds to me. seriously

so I only noticed this because I have Jake McGee.

Adam Ottavino came in to pitch the 8th inning. He pitched .1 innings and put 3 men on base. McGee comes in, induces a soft liner to short that the SS lets one hop to try and get the double play. They get the force at second base but the runner beats the throw to first and a run scores. McGee reties the next batter AND goes on to pitch a scoreless 9th.

McGee gets charged with a blown save

Ottavino gets a hold

:dunno:

the runners on base in the 8th were all inherited runners put on by Ottavino. Ottavino was charged with the earned run, NOT McGee.

I understand McGee not getting a hold. A blown save seems a little extreme.... but how on earth does Ottavino get a hold for doing absolutely nothing but loading the bases and being charged with the ER that tied the game?

McGee was the pitcher on the mound when they gave up the lead, so he gets the blown save...

Ottavino gets the hold because he entered with the required lead rules and got at least one out and did not lose the lead (even though three batters reached)...

McGee was the pitcher on the mound when they gave up the lead, so he gets the blown save...

Ottavino gets the hold because he entered with the required lead rules and got at least one out and did not lose the lead (even though three batters reached)...

Like I said I understand the blown save portion for McGee doesn't really matter one way or another the guy let up zero earned runs and pitched 1.2 innings if they want to put a little blown save next to his name it doesn't affect anything for Fantasy purposes it's funny because if they had not lost the lead McGee would not have been out there for the ninth inning attempting to save at all so in that sense being charged with a blown save is funny but I do understand it

But I still do not understand is the Hold.. I understand a pitcher coming in and meeting the requirements for achieving a hold in terms of how many runs the lead is at the time and the fact that he recorded an out, but to me the fact that he put three runners on base and was charged with the earned run that tied the game.... that should not be a hold as he did not hold the lead

By definition of the rule it may be a hold but by Common Sense that's pretty stupid. He did nothing to hold the lead and in fact it did everything to blow it

It is probably things like you are explaining that Holds is not an official stat...

just that kind of season. Ill be interested to see where i stand in each category come tomorrow but today, holding an 11-4 lead over mookz and looking for more

1. Rays offense can't back Cobb who takes a loss instead of what should have been a win with how well he pitched.

2. Baltimore gets a save... with the score 4-0 none the less, which ties that category

3. I started Hellickson literally last minute, likely cost me the entire ERA category

4. My entire offense sucked donkey balls the whole weekend resulting in me going from 7-5 up in homers to 8-7 down.

:doh:

11-4 became 9-6 with no hope of anything else unless Wade Davis can pick up a save tonight

just that kind of season. Ill be interested to see where i stand in each category come tomorrow but today, holding an 11-4 lead over mookz and looking for more

1. Rays offense can't back Cobb who takes a loss instead of what should have been a win with how well he pitched.

2. Baltimore gets a save... with the score 4-0 none the less, which ties that category

3. I started Hellickson literally last minute, likely cost me the entire ERA category

4. My entire offense sucked donkey balls the whole weekend resulting in me going from 7-5 up in homers to 8-7 down.

:doh:

11-4 became 9-6 with no hope of anything else unless Wade Davis can pick up a save tonight

I was facepalming, myself. Motherfock me and Matt Albers. I didn't start Tillman coming off his injury - he had sucked in the minors but goes out today and blanks the Sox over 5. Probably wouldn't have won me WHIP, but would have broken the tie in wins. And that wouldn't have even mattered if Albers hadn't blown his save opportunity. That would have gotten me the save I needed and the win for Roark.

This is already a lost season but I deserve a lot of the blame. :doh:

Mets and Matt Harvey is a sh1t show.

Mets and Matt Harvey is a sh1t show.

They were world-beaters when I faced them, as I recall. <_<

They were world-beaters when I faced them, as I recall. <_<

Don't get me wrong the had another explosive offensive week - 9 games in a row scoring 5 runs or more or 5 in a row scoring 7or more runs.

It's the Harvey thing. They need wins and they suspended him on a day he was supposed to pitch and they unfairly bring in this journeyman from Vegas - had three connecting flights to get to NY and arrives 6 hours before game time and he sucked. Not fair.

When is the last time you heard of a team suspending its own player ? Publicly no less. He showed up to pitch and was sent Home.

Matt didn't come to the ball park Saturday claiming a migraine and miscommunication- word is he wanted to watch the Rangers game (thank the Gods ragshits lost).

Anyway it's the Mutts. I expect a shitshow.

Don't get me wrong the had another explosive offensive week - 9 games in a row scoring 5 runs or more or 5 in a row scoring 7or more runs.

It's the Harvey thing. They need wins and they suspended him on a day he was supposed to pitch and they unfairly bring in this journeyman from Vegas - had three connecting flights to get to NY and arrives 6 hours before game time and he sucked. Not fair.

When is the last time you heard of a team suspending its own player ? Publicly no less. He showed up to pitch and was sent Home.

Matt didn't come to the ball park Saturday claiming a migraine and miscommunication- word is he wanted to watch the Rangers game (thank the Gods ragshits lost).

Anyway it's the Mutts. I expect a shitshow.

Harvey is a

apparently this was not the first incident of him not showing up and not communicating with the team. Its not different than the Derrick Rose nonsense with the Knicks earlier this year. Guys think they are above the team after they've had a taste of stardom. It's been a long while since Harvey was good (and im a fan so im not just bashing. If I didn't run the Rays my 2nd team would be the Mets) Thor refusing to get an MRI is another perfect example. I have no problem with a team suspending a player for a few games in early May in an effort to regain some authority over its entitled superstars.

Harvey is a ######

apparently this was not the first incident of him not showing up and not communicating with the team. Its not different than the Derrick Rose nonsense with the Knicks earlier this year. Guys think they are above the team after they've had a taste of stardom. It's been a long while since Harvey was good (and im a fan so im not just bashing. If I didn't run the Rays my 2nd team would be the Mets) Thor refusing to get an MRI is another perfect example. I have no problem with a team suspending a player for a few games in early May in an effort to regain some authority over its entitled superstars.

While I do agree - and Matt Harvey is a - it was handled wrong and a shitshow.

thats the week we needed

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been without Smyly all year, Forsythe can't get back on the field, Matt Duffy was supposed to be the Rays starting SS and help me in the errors category (if Brad Miller can't hit he shouldn't be in the field and they can move Tim Beckham to 2nd) and Cedeno was a reliable holds guy... all on the DL plus that little issue of Marte being suspended and eating up a roster spot

Im sure some teams have it worse but some teams also have more ammo in the first place

We are quite a ways away from the AS supplemental but assuming I hold roughly where I am in the standings (big assumption), I will probably be interested in packaging both my picks or my first rounder and a depth player to move up in round 1.

yeah it seems ive just lost super utility man Steve Pearce

Injuries have been eating players up this year. Not sure what's in the water.

Donaldson - been "close" for 2 weeks now. Haven't had him since Apr 13. Probably still won't until next week.

Tulo - Supposed to be back this week. He's been 3 weeks shelved and I've been mixing Hechivarria (also now again on DL) and Goins (not exactly a big contributor with the bat)

Martin - Out since May 7 and should be back by June.

Davis - was out for awhile and is back. Morales took a few days with a Hammy. Thames hasn't missed but a day here and there but in May is "tight and sore".

Pitching?

Price still not back. Maybe 2 weeks.

Sanchez currently good but has been on the DL twice.

Happ been out since Apr 16.

Liriano now down with left shoulder inflammation.

Guys like Bolsinger and Lawrence have come up to not perform well. Biagini turned starter after reliever did turn 2 solid starts as he stretches out. Doesn't yet qualify as a SP for Yahoo but ...

Man Mung, got swept this past week?

Did he not update his lineup?

Must be because he doesn't have DJ

I have to say that for as much as it felt like I was bending over during the draft, I can not complain. Wade Davis looked like ass in spring training but has been very solid. I totally lucked out with the Price injury (sorry GB) and after second guessing myself while watching Joey Bats tear it up this spring, he has looked awful.

Must be because he doesn't have DJ

:first:

Though he really isn't tearing the cover off the ball either...

Week 7 and only 5 teams over .500

Man Mung, got swept this past week?

Did he not update his lineup?

Cubs were sucking up the joint. They'll turn it around hopefully

unreal terrible week. those were some awful numbers i lost to

Only thanks to some ridiculous offensive outputs was I able to hold to a tie with the league leading Ted.

Most weeks I would kill for a 9-5 loss. :mad:

Only thanks to some ridiculous offensive outputs was I able to hold to a tie with the league leading Ted.

It was a good battle :thumbsup:

I was THAT f'ing close to putting Mallex Smith in my utility spot tonight :wall:

2-2 with a homer, single, walk, 2 runs, 2 rbi and 3 steals and its the 4th inning :lol:

I can't wait for the sup, my SP is in shambles :(

just tossing out early supplemental trade ideas. I may be interested in trading my 1st and 2nd for someones earlier 1st. Some of the teams who are currently outside looking in might find 3 supplemental picks to be useful?

just a thought. a rash of injuries (more than I already have) might break out by then

Looks like we have another dead team already. Anyone know how to contact Mung and see if everything is alright? He hasn't adjusted his team in almost a month.

just tossing out early supplemental trade ideas. I may be interested in trading my 1st and 2nd for someones earlier 1st. Some of the teams who are currently outside looking in might find 3 supplemental picks to be useful?

just a thought. a rash of injuries (more than I already have) might break out by then

PM me Biotch

Its been fun being a Dodger fan these last couple of weeks... :thumbsup: