Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Doug Orth's NFL Draft Player Profiles: UPDATE - TE Evan Engram

We're kicking off Doug's rookie profile's today. We've got 16 or so of these planned from now until draft day. I'll update this thread as we get them posted...

1. RB Leonard Fournette - 3/7/17

2. RB Dalvin Cook - 3/10/17

3. WR Mike Williams - 3/15/17

4. RB Christian McCaffrey - 3/21/17

5. TE O.J. Howard - 3/23/17

6. WR Corey Davis - 3/28/17

7. WR John Ross - 3/30/17

8. QB Mitchell Trubisky - 4/4/17

9. QB Deshaun Watson - 4/8/17

10. TE David Njoku - 4/11/17

11. WR/RB Curtis Samuel - 4/15/17

12. RB Joe Mixon - 4/17/17

13. RB D'Onta Foreman - 4/19/17

14. Zay Jones - 4/21/17

15. TE Evan Engram - 4/24/17

We're kicking off Doug's rookie profile's today. We've got 16 or so of these planned from now until draft day. I'll update this thread as we get them posted...

1. RB Leonard Fournette - 3/7/17

Nice writeup.

I like Earl Campbell as a better NFL player comp FWIW.

I don't think Ricky Williams had quite the same level of seek and destroy mentality. E.C could be going back too far though.

I would like to see less of that seek and destroy. Was it because he lacked confidence in his side to side movements?

He is still probably my #1 prospect as of now. I guess it depends on where Cook lands.

I would like to see less of that seek and destroy. Was it because he lacked confidence in his side to side movements?

He is still probably my #1 prospect as of now. I guess it depends on where Cook lands.

Its a legit concern. Career length and weekly availability at something nearing 100% are question marks due to the style. Doug notes, "

• Considering his physical style, he delivers a lot more punishment than he receives (shows a remarkable ability to be the hammer and not the nail)."

That may be true, but it doesn't eliminate the issue and against full defenses of NFL size/speed prospects it remains to be seen whether he can sustain the same mentality for a 16 game season (his NFL team will hope, plus playoffs). While the sturdy build is a plus in his column, the downside is at 6 ft 240 lbs there is a lot of opponent striking surface.

Earl Campbell who had about the same build and speed was a joy to watch as a dominant carry the load back but his day in the sun was of the shorter lived variety.

Nice writeup.

I like Earl Campbell as a better NFL player comp FWIW.

I don't think Ricky Williams had quite the same level of seek and destroy mentality. E.C could be going back too far though.

Thanks. Great minds...

I strongly considered making Earl Campbell the comp. One reason I didn't is b/c most people would only be able to pull up a few Youtube highlights on him and I do like to keep the comps at least somewhat recent. As to why I went with Ricky, he and Fournette have the same top-shelf explosion that is rare for a big back. Also, I'll jump on the point I think FBN was hinting at: Fournette appeared much less "seek-and-destroy" in 2015 than 2016, presumably due to the ankle. That's another reason I went with Ricky.

As I said in the Bottom Line, I've seen comps to Jim Brown, Bo and Larry Johnson. Jim Brown may be the greatest ever, so I wasn't going there. Bo may have been the most talented RB ever and Fournette isn't in his class athletically. LJ was less explosive and ended up being a good receiver, so I thought the LJ comp was setting the bar too low.

I really hope it's all because of his ankle, though that begs the question Is he a really slow healer? The 28" vertical makes no sense to me.

I am a little disappointed in his hands. I should have paid closer attention on him, but I had pretty much made it a foregone conclusion that he had good hands from what I have seen. Going back and looking at tape I saw the double clutch more than I would like. I was hoping we had another David Johnson (best rb in the league. It's not Zeke.) but only bigger. That is definitely not the case.

I really hope it's all because of his ankle, though that begs the question Is he a really slow healer? The 28" vertical makes no sense to me.

I am a little disappointed in his hands. I should have paid closer attention on him, but I had pretty much made it a foregone conclusion that he had good hands from what I have seen. Going back and looking at tape I saw the double clutch more than I would like. I was hoping we had another David Johnson (best rb in the league. It's not Zeke.) but only bigger. That is definitely not the case.

I just don't think he gave himself enough time to heal. If it was truly a high-ankle sprain (which is what I have repeatedly read/heard), it makes sense he never rediscovered his form. I'm not worried about him being a slow healer so much as how his style may lead him to get/play hurt throughout his career.

His hands aren't great by any stretch (as I noted with his drops) and he isn't a natural catcher, but I think he is a better receiver than he is given credit for (I think most view him as ONLY a power back with explosion given LSU's lack of creativity on offense).

Yeah, he never was and never will be David Johnson, who I agree is the best back in the league right now. (I don't know if you are referring to my dynasty rankings or not, but give me a 22-year-old back behind the best o-line in the league over Johnson, who was run into the ground this past season and doesn't have nearly the same help up front - now or long-term. The dynasty debate is a different one entirely, IMO.) At worst, I see Fournette being a rich man's Michael Turner. At best, I see him becoming a competent-enough receiver to rival Ricky Williams' best years (although I see him topping out in the high-30s/low-40s in terms of receptions).

I just don't think he gave himself enough time to heal. If it was truly a high-ankle sprain (which is what I have repeatedly read/heard), it makes sense he never rediscovered his form. I'm not worried about him being a slow healer so much as how his style may lead him to get/play hurt throughout his career.

His hands aren't great by any stretch (as I noted with his drops) and he isn't a natural catcher, but I think he is a better receiver than he is given credit for (I think most view him as ONLY a power back with explosion given LSU's lack of creativity on offense).

Yeah, he never was and never will be David Johnson, who I agree is the best back in the league right now. (I don't know if you are referring to my dynasty rankings or not, but give me a 22-year-old back behind the best o-line in the league over Johnson, who was run into the ground this past season and doesn't have nearly the same help up front - now or long-term. The dynasty debate is a different one entirely, IMO.) At worst, I see Fournette being a rich man's Michael Turner. At best, I see him becoming a competent-enough receiver to rival Ricky Williams' best years (although I see him topping out in the high-30s/low-40s in terms of receptions).

I was not referring to the rankings. I understand why one would rank Elliot ahead. I am talking about the many pundits out there who talk about Elliot as the best running back. It's annoying because it isn't even close to true. How they can't differentiate the situation Elliot is in compared to Johnson, it tells me not to heed anything they say. The distance between their receiving abilities is pretty large.

I will be interested to see how far Fournette falls in some drafts. I can see some scenarios where he is taken after Cook and Mixon, even if it's partially because of the team they land with.

A buddy of mine told me Fournette was a bad interview at the combine. He was asked about his passion for playing football. He told them he didn't even like football, he only plays it because he's good at it and can make money doing it.

Again, I didn't hear this myself. Was wondering if any of you guys had?

A buddy of mine told me Fournette was a bad interview at the combine. He was asked about his passion for playing football. He told them he didn't even like football, he only plays it because he's good at it and can make money doing it.

Where did he hear that from? I haven't heard that. I think any player who doesn't have passion to play is a liability. I would like to see some kind of report about it. I'm not saying it's for sure false, but why would a player tell a team that? Even if he feels that way, he could be costing himself millions in draft slot if teams think he doesn't care about football. Especially since that would mean be is basically useless once he gets contract #2.

Where did he hear that from? I haven't heard that. I think any player who doesn't have passion to play is a liability. I would like to see some kind of report about it. I'm not saying it's for sure false, but why would a player tell a team that? Even if he feels that way, he could be costing himself millions in draft slot if teams think he doesn't care about football. Especially since that would mean be is basically useless once he gets contract #2.

I'll ask him where, he didn't say during our initial conversation.

His main jist was all the top guys he thought had some sort of issue after the combine.

WR Williams dropping some balls and refusing to run.

WR Davis is hurt.

WR Ross pulling up lame and already has a injury history.

RB McCafrey not being able to do many bench presses.

RB Cook with a subpar all around showing.

RB Fournette bad interviews.

I hadn't heard anything yet either on that Fournette part.

The team interviews are individual.........sounds like the kind of thing one might say in a room behind closed doors if one didn't want to go to Cleveland lol

• Like 1

I'll ask him where, he didn't say during our initial conversation.

His main jist was all the top guys he thought had some sort of issue after the combine.

WR Williams dropping some balls and refusing to run.

WR Davis is hurt.

WR Ross pulling up lame and already has a injury history.

RB McCafrey not being able to do many bench presses.

RB Cook with a subpar all around showing.

RB Fournette bad interviews.

I hadn't heard anything yet either on that Fournette part.

The combine pretty much sucks for meaningful evaluation - even moreso this year, with freaking 'fans' allowed in to watch players in their underwear up close and personal, essentially providing that slave-on-the-auction-block experience. I am unsurprised that many athletes found it to be a distinctly unpleasant experience - and am fully willing to give any and all of them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to participation - or lack thereof. None of the BS crap that they had to endure at the combine has any significance on the actual field of play.

McCaffrey will be a beast in ppr leagues. Especially if he can land in the right spot.

McCaffrey will be a beast in ppr leagues. Especially if he can land in the right spot.

:thumbsup:

I don't really pay much attention to mocks (or attempt to do one) before mid-April, but I saw one that had McCaffrey going to the Saints. I don't think that has a chance in hell of happening, but that would one of the best ones.

I like the player comparisons you have on McCaffrey. Spot on in my book.

:thumbsup:

I don't really pay much attention to mocks (or attempt to do one) before mid-April, but I saw one that had McCaffrey going to the Saints. I don't think that has a chance in hell of happening, but that would one of the best ones.

Do you think so? Drew Brees is getting up there in age so there is a limited amount of star qb life left on that team.

I also think Sean Peyton isn't a very good coach at all. His team hasn't been relevant in the playoffs discussion in years. I don't know if Peyton would adjust his game plan at all for a running back like Mcaffery.

I like the player comparisons you have on McCaffrey. Spot on in my book.

I like the article body comparison of Faulk better than Westbrook personally, at least in terms of playing style.

While McCaffrey's combine explosiveness measurements were very good, I see his silky smooth style of play as the primary trait and more akin to Faulk than Westbrook who had a level of acceleration beyond peers.

Tough to label C.M............. I personally highly doubt his body would hold up to a Faulk- like load in the NFL despite the proclamations of some I have seen who cite his college usage and success. I don't think they are considering conference-style of competition. It just takes one good look at his body for me to have doubts. I do kind of think he could be everything the Rams were hoping for but never got with Tavon Austin and I hope he settles as a more than half the time WR. My favorite football player in the draft at this point, but not touching him in the top 5 of rookie drafts unless he lands in NE, in which case I'd be very tempted.

I like the article body comparison of Faulk better than Westbrook personally, at least in terms of playing style.

While McCaffrey's combine explosiveness measurements were very good, I see his silky smooth style of play as the primary trait and more akin to Faulk than Westbrook who had a level of acceleration beyond peers.

Tough to label C.M............. I personally highly doubt his body would hold up to a Faulk- like load in the NFL despite the proclamations of some I have seen who cite his college usage and success. I don't think they are considering conference-style of competition. It just takes one good look at his body for me to have doubts. I do kind of think he could be everything the Rams were hoping for but never got with Tavon Austin and I hope he settles as a more than half the time WR. My favorite football player in the draft at this point, but not touching him in the top 5 of rookie drafts unless he lands in NE, in which case I'd be very tempted.

I think GB is another good spot. I am picking at 3 in one draft so it's going to be a tough to pass on him if he is in a good spot. Though I do agree that there are not a ton of places who will be willing to exploit everything he had to offer.

I think GB is another good spot. I am picking at 3 in one draft so it's going to be a tough to pass on him if he is in a good spot. Though I do agree that there are not a ton of places who will be willing to exploit everything he had to offer.

Gotta love a young throwback type who flashes Harmonica skills rather than Halo X-Box ability.......click the Denver Post link, then scroll down and give a listen...made me sad only because somebody stole the Harmonica passed down to me from my Grandpa

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/18/watch-christian-mccaffrey-plays-piano-man-on-harmonica-and-its-awesome/

If he so chooses he may also have some enviable commercial opportunities in his future at some point

Do you think so? Drew Brees is getting up there in age so there is a limited amount of star qb life left on that team.

I also think Sean Peyton isn't a very good coach at all. His team hasn't been relevant in the playoffs discussion in years. I don't know if Peyton would adjust his game plan at all for a running back like Mcaffery.

All I meant here was NO is consistently at the top of the chart when it comes to catches from its RBs.

CM was hard to find a good comp for. I went with Faulk at first, but I REALLY try to avoid Hall of Famers with these comps for a number of reasons. McCaffrey is much more a running back who is an exceptional receiver than the other way around IMO. One reason I did opt for the Westbrook comp was b/c I do agree with you on how much McCaffrey's current frame could withstand. Of course, Westbrook's fragility came mostly from a bum knee if memory serves.

GB would be a very good landing spot scheme-wise, but his game overlaps former Stanford teammate Ty Montgomery's a bit too much. I think it is more likely the Pack goes with a more powerful back like Oklahoma's Samaje Perine or BYU's Jamaal Williams.

All I meant here was NO is consistently at the top of the chart when it comes to catches from its RBs.

CM was hard to find a good comp for. I went with Faulk at first, but I REALLY try to avoid Hall of Famers with these comps for a number of reasons. McCaffrey is much more a running back who is an exceptional receiver than the other way around IMO. One reason I did opt for the Westbrook comp was b/c I do agree with you on how much McCaffrey's current frame could withstand. Of course, Westbrook's fragility came mostly from a bum knee if memory serves.

GB would be a very good landing spot scheme-wise, but his game overlaps former Stanford teammate Ty Montgomery's a bit too much. I think it is more likely the Pack goes with a more powerful back like Oklahoma's Samaje Perine or BYU's Jamaal Williams.

If GB likes Montgomery that much then I can see that. I also think Mccarthy likes his power running backs to a fault, so it makes sense scheme wise.

Hey, since I'm about a third of the way through the profiles, I'd be interested to see/hear if any (or all) of you like the changes I've made this year, most notably the links to the video after most of the strengths/weaknesses.

Hey, since I'm about a third of the way through the profiles, I'd be interested to see/hear if any (or all) of you like the changes I've made this year, most notably the links to the video after most of the strengths/weaknesses.

I think the videos are great. A really nice touch that let's us see what you are referring to. :thumbsup:

McCaffrey is much more a running back who is an exceptional receiver than the other way around IMO.

Of course, this is no doubt true at this point Doug! He has played mostly RB his entire career both HS and college.

We are all projecting the future when we look at these prospects, how and where they may fit, and where they can develop. If I'm projecting his body type, skills, and where I could see him developing............... its more of an H-back LITE/slot WR role. I go back to what I think the Rams had envisioned for Tavon Austin.

The reason I said I hope he settles as a more than half time WR is because to me its the most realistic way I can get to him as a potential FF stud. As I mentioned he is my fav player in this draft, and I'll be rooting for him no matter, but I don't see his body holding up to feature RB pounding against NFL speed/size DL and ILB...........where I could actually see him holding his own in touches against OLB and CBs.

I get the hope that a team could scheme those kinds of touches for him from a RB position regularly, but we are really limiting his landing places...... and even then, his opportunity to be consistent from week to week in that scenario IMO. (I can already hear the FBN complaints about whoever his OC is getting his head out his as$ and getting more touches for the most talented RB on the roster.) :dunno: lol

In any case I wasn't saying he IS a WR, just I think maybe he COULD/SHOULD be, which is the dilemma with him. I think he is a pretty safe prospect for an NFL team because he can do a lot of things, contribute in a few areas immediately, projecting his FF production however is not safe at all, in regular leagues IMO.

If I'm being honest I did not click on a single of those links. I have finished my own look at each these guys I made comments here about and to be perfectly honest I like to keep "my own eyes" without influence from the opinions of others. If I was going to make it a point to try and get better at the way I do study you would be near the top of the list of guys I'd like to learn from though. I'm sure most will find the clips at least helpful context for your comments, but forming an opinion from the body of work I look at myself is my preference.

• Like 1

There is a good chance that his OC does have his head up his ass, like many OCs, and doesn't use him right. Like you said, his best use may be out of the slot more as a receiver. I like his value better as long as his designation remains rb.

I doubt any team tries to feature him as a between the tackles type runner. Devonta Freeman only weighed 4 more pounds coming out of college (I am still baffled by that dudes success), and he has held up. Although he must have a freakish ability to remain healthy.

There is a good chance that his OC does have his head up his ass, like many OCs, and doesn't use him right. Like you said, his best use may be out of the slot more as a receiver. I like his value better as long as his designation remains rb.

I doubt any team tries to feature him as a between the tackles type runner. Devonta Freeman only weighed 4 more pounds coming out of college (I am still baffled by that dudes success), and he has held up. Although he must have a freakish ability to remain healthy.

Devonta is only 5'9 and 210..........5 lbs heavier but more importantly, squatly built..........as one notable commentator likes to say, "...... he is all hair and ass." Its a very different body build to my eyes, as is Woodhead for that matter, who is 5' 7 ish but weighs the same as the 5' 11 McCaffrey.

I'm sure guys are going to be confused by my H-back comments or more likely think I'm clueless, but I'm not suggesting he would be what we currently think of as a traditional H-back. For a time, when we thought of slot WR we all thought of Wes Welker types who could use quickness and agility to get open underneath....until Marcus Colston came along and we saw there could be more than 1 body type with different uses of the same position.

I'm thinking of him more as an offensive weapon (which has mostly been code word for can't figure out how to use him so far in the NFL) which plays H-back.

Anyway I think as an H-back he would allow my team to keep its primary RB on the field, which I would prefer to do. In my hypothetical offense the sacrifice of blocking you would normally see from an H-back could be made up........sometimes you are motioning him out and by design taking a tackler out of the play. He could be used on reverses, jet sweeps, and screens........ and of course for the other routes you normally see an H-back running.

If a team would use him as an OW at least part time instead of trying primarily as a RB, I would be more confident of his future FF success........this is a tough rookie class to justify using a top half of the first round rookie draft pick. If "my" team has a package we run with him as an OW/HB and we use him as our obvious passing situation RB, 3rd and long-two minute drill, catch up mode..........then maybe I can justify taking him where is going to end up going in rookie drafts but I suspect we would be paying for reward ceiling without sufficiently accounting for the risk floor.

Devonta is only 5'9 and 210..........5 lbs heavier but more importantly, squatly built..........as one notable commentator likes to say, "...... he is all hair and ass." Its a very different body build to my eyes, as is Woodhead for that matter, who is 5' 7 ish but weighs the same as the 5' 11 McCaffrey.

I'm sure guys are going to be confused by my H-back comments or more likely think I'm clueless, but I'm not suggesting he would be what we currently think of as a traditional H-back. For a time, when we thought of slot WR we all thought of Wes Welker types who could use quickness and agility to get open underneath....until Marcus Colston came along and we saw there could be more than 1 body type with different uses of the same position.

I'm thinking of him more as an offensive weapon (which has mostly been code word for can't figure out how to use him so far in the NFL) which plays H-back.

Anyway I think as an H-back he would allow my team to keep its primary RB on the field, which I would prefer to do. In my hypothetical offense the sacrifice of blocking you would normally see from an H-back could be made up........sometimes you are motioning him out and by design taking a tackler out of the play. He could be used on reverses, jet sweeps, and screens........ and of course for the other routes you normally see an H-back running.

If a team would use him as an OW at least part time instead of trying primarily as a RB, I would be more confident of his future FF success........this is a tough rookie class to justify using a top half of the first round rookie draft pick. If "my" team has a package we run with him as an OW/HB and we use him as our obvious passing situation RB, 3rd and long-two minute drill, catch up mode..........then maybe I can justify taking him where is going to end up going in rookie drafts but I suspect we would be paying for reward ceiling without sufficiently accounting for the risk floor.

Kind of like Tyreek Hill?

Kind of like Tyreek Hill?

I have to admit, I didn't see much of KC last year so I'm not sure. Was he a regular starter or only in certain packages?

Hill was never a regular starter per se, but his role obviously grew a lot as the season came to a close. He was credited with only one start last year.

I'm fine with CM being considered an OW and realize H-back can mean different things to different people. (For me, Chris Cooley is someone I visualize as a more modern H-back.) I get what you are saying with shattering the "old" H-back expectations too.

Personally, I think CM can be the regular starter at RB so long as he is used in a Westbrook-like fashion. I think he's more than capable of handling right around 200 carries (12.5 per game). The team that drafts him needs to understand his real value will come through his 60-80 receptions and (early in his career) as a returner.

I have Fournette Cook and CM 1-2-3 on my board and picks 1, 3 and 6 in my dynasty league. Doug thanks for the write ups. If there was ever a year to load up on rookie rbs this seems to be it.

Depending on where they go and your league's scoring rules you can make an argument for any of them at #1. I will say CM sitting out the bowl game bothers me.

I have Fournette Cook and CM 1-2-3 on my board and picks 1, 3 and 6 in my dynasty league. Doug thanks for the write ups. If there was ever a year to load up on rookie rbs this seems to be it.

Depending on where they go and your league's scoring rules you can make an argument for any of them at #1. I will say CM sitting out the bowl game bothers me.

Glad to see you joined the conversation :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to work out the order of the three backs in my head, but they are my top three at the moment as well with Mixon on the cusp of breaking through. (Got a lot more film to watch.) I have the No. 3 spot in my league and I'm trying pretty hard to turn that pick and Sammy Watkins (and perhaps another player or two) to get the first two picks. We'll see. I agree this is the year to load up on rookie RBs in dynasty.

CM sitting out the bowl game doesn't bother me. His teammates reportedly applauded him when he told them. In the grander scheme of things, CM and LF sitting out bowl games to preserve their health is much less of a big deal than Cook's or Mixon's off-field history IMO. What else did CM have to prove? I get why folks would be concerned about him sitting out, but based on what I know about him, I don't think we have to worry about his commitment to football or the team.

Next year will be a really good year also. I think the WR class will probably be alittle better also. Definitely not the TE's though. It could be a really long time before we see another class like this one.

But I digress. Back to the RB's, yes, another good class next year. Especially if Chubb regains form, which I think he will.