Sign in to follow this  
shorepatrol

Squats and Deadlifts

If you have access to it, cross country skiing and or snowshoeing will absolutely kick your ass. But it's a great exercise. Great way to get outside and see amazing views and go places the literally nobody else can go.

Snow shoeing is pretty fun, but it’s definitely an old man’s activity. Young peeps take skis with grippy skins on the same trails. I’ve done both, and the ability to ski down the hill you’ve spent hours climbing makes backcountry skiing way more fun.

You know a sport that would be killer exercise that Ive always thought looks fun as hell and has virtually zero injury risk?

Water polo. Ive always wanted to try it, but it pretty much doesnt exist in the real world. Need a special pool too.

I vaguely remember seeing a chart comparing METs (a measure of exertion) for various exercises, and water polo was near the top with things like cross country skiing.

I've been into synchronized swimming for a while now. I'm still waiting for somebody to respond to my Craigslist ad so I can have a partner. But until then, there's lots I can do to prepare myself for that.

For example, I'm not really a strong swimmer, so I stay in the shallow end, but every week I try to go out just a few tippy toes longer and deeper.

And, I kind of have this thing about putting my head under water. I think something happened to me when I was a little kid. But I get real severe anxiety. Still, there's a lot I can do in the shallow end just working on basic dance moves and body movements.

I mean, if this was an actual competition? Sure, I'd take off my floaties. But there's a lot of times when it's just me out there. Or just me and the seniors water aerobics. And I don't know that theyre strong enough to really help me out if I, you know, were to get a cramp or something. So, the floaties are just ya know, being responsible and stuff.

Wiff - I'm calling bullchit on this. I set up a website that searches Craigslist ads for people who are looking for a synchronized swimming partner. The website is basically a copy of google. I found a couple of older ladies, but they were focking terrible. I haven't come across your ad, so I think you're full of chit. If not, PM me and we can get something set up.

Wiff - I'm calling bullchit on this. I set up a website that searches Craigslist ads for people who are looking for a synchronized swimming partner. The website is basically a copy of google. I found a couple of older ladies, but they were focking terrible. I haven't come across your ad, so I think you're full of chit. If not, PM me and we can get something set up.

😂. AQUAFORCE!😂

While neither of us know definitively, I’m pointing out there are too many variables to make a blanket statement about my knee risk versus yours. More variables <> greater risk, but it’s reasonable to assume yearlong activity is gonna cause more cumulative wear and tear. As we don’t have studies for everyday Joes skiing and lifting weights, all we can do is extrapolate for groups that have been tested - unfortunately weight lifters don’t fare very well. :(

Yeah, I know, no skiers in that study, and you’re moving the goal posts a bit to include only acute injury. While I may have a higher risk to blow out an ACL the brief time I’m on the slopes, the absolute risk is still low, and I believe your overall more likely to have knee problems chronically.

So do we agree then?

Sorry, I was traveling Thursday and busy yesterday. We almost agree. If you sub an elite power lifter for me, then we agree. I'm only squatting maybe 135 pounds, I'm not anywhere near pushing the limits of my joints. And consistent reps will only serve to build up the muscles for that exercise. :cheers: