Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

At what age do you let your kid drink beers with you ?

Pretty much all alcohol is an acquired taste, isn’t it?

I don't remember. But I've tried whisky/scotch many times. I focking hate it. Never acquired a taste for wine either.

How do you think societys perception of alcohol has changed?

My parents never drank around me either, and I believe it influenced how I think about alcohol. While they never told me it was bad, I didnt grow up thinking it was a big part of being an adult, nor was it cool. I also dont remember them specifically talking to me about it, though they repeatedly emphasized how stupid conformity is - I think that is an important message for kids.

when I was a toddler, my grandpa gave me sips of his beer, early 80s. When I was in high school, parents would host parties for teens and it just started to become against the law, late 90s. Now either of those will get you arrested and even thinking it was at one time ok chastised on an anonymous message bored.

I don't remember. But I've tried whisky/scotch many times. I focking hate it. Never acquired a taste for wine either.

It all tastes terrible until you drink it multiple times. Just like coffee, and just about every adult beverage.

Pen won this thread. I cannot fathom some of the responses. It is a father's job to parent, not be the "cool" dad.

It all tastes terrible until you drink it multiple times. Just like coffee, and just about every adult beverage.

Not for me. I don't recall having an issue acquiring a taste for rum or vodka. Same with some foods. Never acquired a taste for beets or calamari. Also never acquired a taste for cvm...no matter how much of that I swallow.

when I was a toddler, my grandpa gave me sips of his beer, early 80s. When I was in high school, parents would host parties for teens and it just started to become against the law, late 90s. Now either of those will get you arrested and even thinking it was at one time ok chastised on an anonymous message bored.

I vaguely remember my grandfather giving me sips of beer as well, but I can’t imagine parents hosting parties for teens with alcohol, even in the 90’s. And I know this will come as a shocker to some, but I went to plenty of parties growing up.

Not for me. I don't recall having an issue acquiring a taste for rum or vodka. Same with some foods. Never acquired a taste for beets or calamari. Also never acquired a taste for cvm...no matter how much of that I swallow.

Point taken, but I find it surprising that many like hard liquor right off the bat. It’s hard to swallow, let alone enjoy.

I get that. Im not going to pretend like they arent going to drink and just hope for the best. We will have plenty of conversations about drinking and drinking/driving.

Thing is, I am going to be a parent...not their friend. When they become an adult, we can have more of a friend relationship.

Pen won this thread. I cannot fathom some of the responses. It is a father's job to parent, not be the "cool" dad.

I have to nominate myself if "being a parent...not their friend" is how we're going to determine the winner of the thread. :cheers:

I have to nominate myself if "being a parent...not their friend" is how we're going to determine the winner of the thread. :cheers:

Correct. Plus, I don’t have kids, and therefore have no right to express any opinion on parenting.

Correct. Plus, I don’t have kids, and therefore have no right to express any opinion on parenting.

:lol: But, can you say with 100% certainty that you don't have any kids?

Shocker, another clueless take thats 100% wrong and laughably so. This is the opinion I had on alcohol when I was 14.

depends on so many things....type of kid he is, maturity level, etc.

a couple beers privately together maybe around 18. letting him have friends over or parties with booze..no fockin shot under my roof.

Exactly. When he graduated HS we went on vacation and he got to drink with me and my freinds (which was trial by fire - you know hole in the can when he wasn't paying attention- still like that.)

Beer only. No parties and no shots.

I dont think France has especially low rates of alcoholism. Eastern Europe is the worst, but alcohol abuse is prevalent throughout the continent.

I'm not sure this conversation can go much further. Unfortunately most so-called studies strictly look at gross alcohol consumption per unit or per liter per person per country.

But I think we would agree that it would be wrong to strictly equate volume of consumption with alcoholism.

However, if we were to look at the effects of alcoholism such as drunk driving, domestic violence, alcohol related deaths Etc, I would be willing to wager that America is near the top of the Heap outside of Eastern Europe. I would also be willing to wager that America is near the bottom in terms of gross alcohol consumption when you factor out Muslim countries.

clearly, it's not just about the amount of alcohol consumed, but the prevailing attitudes and behaviors surrounding doing so.

Maybe the closest we can find would be a study on binge drinking in the industrialized world.

Why are guys with no kids even bothering to post? Sit back and learn FFS.

Learn from a place where guys think an 18yr old is too young for a beer? The kid has already tossed back many with friends, what a joke. Next we will have a thread about the birds and the bees where you guys think your 17yr old doesn’t know how babies are made. Face muscles hurt from the cringe sometimes.

Shocker, another clueless take thats 100% wrong and laughably so. This is the opinion I had on alcohol when I was 14.

Pretty much the opinion everyone has when they first try alcohol, but they’re willing to give it a chance because society has deemed it cool. And they want to get drunk. Eventually it starts to taste good too.

Mixed drinks may be tolerable, because it’s the non-alcoholic content which makes it palatable.

Wait, what? :huh:

Read it again. The yoga part is the give away.

I'm not sure this conversation can go much further. Unfortunately most so-called studies strictly look at gross alcohol consumption per unit or per liter per person per country.

But I think we would agree that it would be wrong to strictly equate volume of consumption with alcoholism.

However, if we were to look at the effects of alcoholism such as drunk driving, domestic violence, alcohol related deaths Etc, I would be willing to wager that America is near the top of the Heap outside of Eastern Europe. I would also be willing to wager that America is near the bottom in terms of gross alcohol consumption when you factor out Muslim countries.

clearly, it's not just about the amount of alcohol consumed, but the prevailing attitudes and behaviors surrounding doing so.

Maybe the closest we can find would be a study on binge drinking in the industrialized world.

Why don’t you stop guessing and look up the data?

I’m not arguing our alcohol culture is healthy. But I don’t think Europe has figured it out either.

Read it again. The yoga part is the give away.

If anything, I'm more into yoga than my wife. I don't think she's ever taken a class where I wasn't there; I've taken 100's without her. :dunno:

Learn from a place where guys think an 18yr old is too young for a beer? The kid has already tossed back many with friends, what a joke. Next we will have a thread about the birds and the bees where you guys think your 17yr old doesn’t know how babies are made. Face muscles hurt from the cringe sometimes.

Says the guy with no kids.
  • Like 1

Everything is a "syndrome" now - being an undisciplined idiot used to be so much simpler.

Its true. I suffer from Restless C0ck Syndrome.

I think it depends on the indiduals involved. Kids are different. Parents too. I don't intoxicate myself in the presence of my kids. I don't plan on ever doing it. I only drink heavy 3-4 times a year. Fantasy draft and dinner, Super Bowl, certain weddings. And my kids aren't with me at any of them. We'll see, but it's my plan going forward.

If anything, I'm more into yoga than my wife. I don't think she's ever taken a class where I wasn't there; I've taken 100's without her. :dunno:

Yoga sounds so good but looks so painful.

Exactly two posts before yours an (alcoholic) parent describes “trial by fire” as a tool to introduce his kid to drinking. What should I learn from his parenting wisdom?
  • Like 1

Learn from a place where guys think an 18yr old is too young for a beer? The kid has already tossed back many with friends, what a joke. Next we will have a thread about the birds and the bees where you guys think your 17yr old doesnt know how babies are made. Face muscles hurt from the cringe sometimes.

Read my 1st post.

They will get enough to drink with their friends. I don't need to drink with them before they're 21

The kid down the street from my parents stopped by on Christmas. He was home from boot camp. He's best buds with my nephew, 18 years old. I gave the boot a beer and gave my nephew bupkiss

Id have a beer with my son when hes an adult (18). By that I mean a single beer. I will enjoy a few with him when hes 21+. I will never allow minors to drink in my house - thats just begging for trouble.

I recently told my stepdaughter that we cant be there making decisions for her 24/7 but she should never go anywhere alone with a guy she doesnt know well after drinking, and she should never get into a car with a driver who has had a few. I told her she can call us any time night or day to get out of that situation and I would come pick her up no questions asked.

I think back to my own youth and its incredible I never got a DUI or worse.

Most of us outside of pen probably had our first drinking party in junior high or early on in highschool.

I do understand that kids drink underage, but I will not condone it.

Why not just show them 'wait until you're legal' to use a substance which can affect their judgment?

But then your kid might not like you, or *shudder* think you’re uncool. And they’re bound to have friends who use all sorts of stuff illegally.

Personally, I’d rather share the experience of their first alcohol, pot, meth, heroin, etc. Hell, might as well invite them to the family orgy, so they know how to use a ball gag responsibly.

• Like 1

Think back to when you were that age and imagine yourself being told not to do something until it was legal. Better to educate kids and help them make better life choices than to simply say don’t do it. Here’s some examples...yet more free advice I could be charging you guys for it’s so wise.

Little billy who’s dad said he is in deep crap if he drinks before 21 will get laughed at by peers and go out of his way to drink to be cool. Billy gets sloppy and barfs on himself trying to show his square ass dad that he knows it all already.

Then there’s Timmy who’s dad sat him down, had a beer with him and taught him all about the ways drinking in excess can eff up your life. Timmy might have a beer or two at a party, but he remembers dads lessons and won’t overdo it or get caught in a bad situation.

Same reason non-politicians post in political threads or guys who never played football post in football threads.

:dunno:

Id have a beer with my son when hes an adult (18). By that I mean a single beer. I will enjoy a few with him when hes 21+. I will never allow minors to drink in my house - thats just begging for trouble.

I recently told my stepdaughter that we cant be there making decisions for her 24/7 but she should never go anywhere alone with a guy she doesnt know well after drinking, and she should never get into a car with a driver who has had a few. I told her she can call us any time night or day to get out of that situation and I would come pick her up no questions asked.

I think back to my own youth and its incredible I never got a DUI or worse.

i cringe when i think of all the stuff we did while driving. it is amazing never a dui or even an accident (maybe some minor damages to own vehicles). not too proud of it.

Think back to when you were that age and imagine yourself being told not to do something until it was legal. Better to educate kids and help them make better life choices than to simply say dont do it. Heres some examples...yet more free advice I could be charging you guys for its so wise.

Little billy whos dad said he is in deep crap if he drinks before 21 will get laughed at by peers and go out of his way to drink to be cool. Billy gets sloppy and barfs on himself trying to show his square ass dad that he knows it all already.

Then theres Timmy whos dad sat him down, had a beer with him and taught him all about the ways drinking in excess can eff up your life. Timmy might have a beer or two at a party, but he remembers dads lessons and wont overdo it or get caught in a bad situation.

Why does Timmys dad have to actually drink beers with him in order to teach him all about the ways excessive drinking can eff up his life?

Why does Timmys dad have to actually drink beers with him in order to teach him all about the ways excessive drinking can eff up his life?

Agreed. When mine are old enough, I'll introduce them to the GC.

• Like 1