Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Discount, Off brand bourbon, blends

I know you high-dollar hookers all drink Johnnie Walker Blue just to get the taste of twenty-five-year-old O'Bannon out of your mouth, but:

Any of you not millionaires got any suggestions for Jim Beam , makers,slash crown knock-offs?(aka the brown well drinks)

Water. You won't get headaches from drinking it. In fact, your joints will feel better, and your overall health will improve! That sounds like some magic elixir right there!...

The only liquor that I consume is Titos vodka. I never feel shitty the next day

Old crow... comes in a plastic bottle

Ay, yo, homeboy - what you drinkin', man?

First thing first. Do you like Rye bourbon? There is a huge taste difference between Bourbon and Rye Bourbon. Personally I don't like Rye bourbon so none of my recommendations will be for Rye.

Jim Beam Distillers cut is pretty good as is their double oaked & Black.

Four Roses has a good blend which just gets better when you move up to select or single barrel

Fighting is a cheap but good bourbon.

Makers mark - I'm not a big fan of MM. That being said they have the best distillery (Jim beam being second best). If I'm drinking MM it's MM 46. There other stuff is too sweet for me

Bullet bourbon - Another good cheaper option.

Woodford - Never liked it but many of my friends do.

Wild Turkey - This is my favorite cheap bourbon. I know I know I know what can I say.

Many of these distillers offer flavored version of their bourbon: Honey, Apple, Vanilla, etc.... Again not for me, but of my friends like it..

All Bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

First thing first. Do you like Rye bourbon? There is a huge taste difference between Bourbon and Rye Bourbon. Personally I don't like Rye bourbon so none of my recommendations will be for Rye.

Four Roses has a good blend which just gets better when you move up to select or single barrel

Fighting ###### is a cheap but good bourbon.

Makers mark - I'm not a big fan of MM. That being said they have the best distillery (Jim beam being second best). If I'm drinking MM it's MM 46. There other stuff is too sweet for me

Wild Turkey - This is my favorite cheap bourbon. I know I know I know what can I say.

Many of these distillers offer flavored version of their bourbon: Honey, Apple, Vanilla, etc.... Again not for me, but of my friends like it..

Yeah...depending in what you are doing with it...this is well said.

Straight up or in the rocks. Four Roses and Bulleit are good.

Evan Williams single barrel is a very good bottle and cheaper than the high end stuff.

I like Buffalo Trace a lot as a good supper or base for a good Old Fashioned.

Asan overall mixer...hard to get cheaper and better sometimes than Beam.

• Like 1

Fighting ###### is a cheap but good bourbon.

Good list. I mostly drink Bourbon in Manhattans so I am not as picky. Bulleit is currently what I have in stock; as opposed to you I like rye (in Manhattans) and the Bulleit rye is good as well.

At an airport bar earlier this week I got a Manhattan which came standard with Makers 46; it was really tasty. I might get that when the Bulleit runs out.

My recommendation: always have at least two bottles o hand ... a better sipping and a cheaper mixer.

I second Evan williams single barrel of you are going to be drinking straight or on the rocks. For mixing, Benchmark 8 is a viable cheap option.

i heard that the bad batches are flavored to make them marketable.

Dunno. Makes sense.

Same reason God gives stupid chicks big and crazy chicks good looks.

Also Wiff, since you mention blend/scotch knockoffs, we've got a handle of Costco Kirkland blended scotch (my son is 21 and he likes scotch and sevens). Not bad, kinda smooth, and won't set you back much to try and see if it meets your particular tastes. :cheers:

• Like 2

Basically everything mentioned in this thread is above the price point Wiff is referencing.

That said I dont drink cheap booze so I got nothing. Way back in the day Id drink Canadian Club as a sorta cheap option.

Basically everything mentioned in this thread is above the price point Wiff is referencing.

That said I dont drink cheap booze so I got nothing. Way back in the day Id drink Canadian Club as a sorta cheap option.

Also Wiff, since you mention blend/scotch knockoffs, we've got a handle of Costco Kirkland blended scotch (my son is 21 and he likes scotch and sevens). Not bad, kinda smooth, and won't set you back much to try and see if it meets your particular tastes. :cheers:

:dunno:

Cheers.

It is??

I used to get all of the Kirkland brand stuff from COSTCO. Not sure where they get the bourbon made, but the Vodka is made at a Grey Goose distillery. Tastes exactly the same.

Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey 101 are my go too "cheap" bourbons.

I forgot Buffalo Trace. Very good bourbon

I took Buffalo Trace white dog and aged it in a mini cask. It came out great.

Everything mentioned can be had for under $25.

Old Grand Dad bottled in bond 100 is another solid ~$30 bottle.

I haven't tried too many <$20 bottles of bourbon, although you can often find Wild Turkey 101 for under $20 at Wal-Mart or Albertsons on sale.

Here is an article listing bottles <$20:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/best-affordable-bourbon-under-twenty-old-fitzgerald-beam-evan-williams-barton-heaven-hill-cheap-whiskey.html

May have to try some of these out.

• Like 2

One of my alchy buddies swears by Evan Williams. 15$ for a handle. He drinks like 3-4 bottles of it a week though... Maybe not the most reliable source for quality control.

• Like 1

It's time to leave and get another quart

Around the corner at the liquor store

Haha, the cheapest stuff is all I need

To get me back on my feet again

I haven't tried too many <$20 bottles of bourbon, although you can often find Wild Turkey 101 for under $20 at Wal-Mart or Albertsons on sale.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/best-affordable-bourbon-under-twenty-old-fitzgerald-beam-evan-williams-barton-heaven-hill-cheap-whiskey.html

Great share thanks!!

Of that...Ive had Jim Black, Four Roses and Very Old Barton

Id probably rate the first two as a tie and the other a bit behind those as far as my experience.

so, my buddies friend had a retirement party. And sort of like my uncle's funeral, his retirement party had one requirement. Find the cheapest slash cheap best brown liquor for his retirement.

My buddy brought a case of Kentucky Gentleman? I don't know. I drink about every 6 weeks or so now. After the first two drinks of what the ever, I have no idea what I was drinking. But according to my friend, it wasn't bad. And it was like $12 for a handle.

All I know is once you stop drinking. Your brain may think you can still drink like you used to. But your body has an entirely different perspective.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. It was a fun party. Not so much the next morning.