Sign in to follow this  
edjr

MLB attendance - Ouch

They showed one game where the actual attendee count was something like 946. Now, the official count? Was like 10,000 or some round number.

I wish they would ban those bullshit numbers. They don't do anybody any good.

But yeah, for less than a thousand people? That wouldn't even pay the light bill for the day.

Yeah but the weather has been absolutely awful in a lot of places. I mean Chicago alone the Cubs have had five rain out already. There's close to 200,000 right there.

I mean most team should be somewhere between 10 and 12 to 13 games in already? Look how many of those teams are at six and seven games played

They showed one game where the actual attendee count was something like 946. Now, the official count? Was like 10,000 or some round number.

I wish they would ban those bullshit numbers. They don't do anybody any good.

But yeah, for less than a thousand people? That wouldn't even pay the ###### light bill for the day.

10,000 was tickets sold (ticket brokers)

actual fans that showed up was 946

The Marlins are counting their attendance different this year, they are actually stating the number that is in the park, not tickets sold...

The weather hasn't helped, but there is something going on for sure...

Yeah but the weather has been absolutely awful in a lot of places. I mean Chicago alone the Cubs have had five rain out already. There's close to 200,000 right there.

I mean most team should be somewhere between 10 and 12 to 13 games and already? Look how many of those teams are at six and seven games played

Toronto is #1 in most fans lost and they play in a dome, it ain't just the weather.

10,000 was tickets sold (ticket brokers)

actual fans that showed up was 946

Well gee, thanks.

Said no one.

https://wtop.com/sports-columns/2018/04/the-attendance-number-that-mlb-should-worry-about/

WASHINGTON — It’s been a rough spring for baseball. Cold fronts and storms have pounded the east coast and Midwest, bringing unseasonably winter-like conditions to the first couple weeks of the baseball season. Unsurprisingly, people have not turned out at the ballpark in droves.

That’s certainly been true in Baltimore, where Camden Yards saw its lowest attendance in the history of the ballpark last week. The Orioles drew just 7,915 fans for a Monday night tilt against the division rival Toronto Blue Jays.

As Yahoo’s Jeff Passan pointed out Monday, attendance is down across the league about 10 percent so far. Dips in average attendance are troubling, but they don’t tell the bigger story, the one that should concern every front office across the league. That is the drop in the minimum attendance, the worst number that each team posts every season.

Why is this important, and potentially a larger sign of endemic issues in the game? Because the lowest draw of the season essentially represents a game with zero walk-up crowd, meaning the number of tickets sold — the paid attendance number that each team reports — is essentially equal to a team’s full season ticket holder base. If that number is down, you can reasonably assume season ticket sales are down as well.

Through April 9, roughly 10 games into each team’s season, 15 of the 30 teams in Major League Baseball had already posted a single-game low attendance mark lower than the worst date in 2017. Let me say that again: In the first week-and-a-half of the season, half the league had already drawn fewer fans to one of their games than in any game the year prior.

(A quick note: Past figures don’t count anomalies, like the Pirates-Cardinals game in Williamsport or the Astros-Rangers series moved to Tampa during Hurricane Harvey.)

Sure, the Miami Marlins have never been a huge draw. But their lowest attendance date last season was 14,390, on Sept. 6 against the Nats, their only sub-15,000 person night of the year. On their last homestand, the Marlins drew 7,003 fans or less in four of their six games, bottoming out at 6,150. You can chalk that up to a change in attendance reporting policy, but that only covers one team.

The Oakland A’s cracked 10,000 fans only once in their four-game set against Texas Apr. 2-5, drawing just 34,613 for the entire series. The Athletics’ lowest mark last year was 9,329 on a late September Monday against the Mariners when they were well out of contention. They’ve drawn worse than that four times already this year.

What’s perhaps most troubling, though, is that the 15 teams in question are not all obvious candidates for poor draws. They include teams from big markets (Red Sox) and small (Indians), from traditionally strong markets (Giants/Cardinals) and those who have struggled in recent years (Pirates/Royals). The Cubs joined the list this week (along with the Braves and Mariners, bringing the total to 18 teams), drawing just 29,775 for a Friday night game against Atlanta. The lowest number at Wrigley Field in 2017: 32,905.

Ten teams have already hosted a game with a paid attendance drop of 10 percent or more from their worst date last year.

MLB confirmed to WTOP that nothing has changed in their general practices of counting attendance numbers since the league offices merged two decades ago. Discussions with ticket offices around baseball did not indicate that any substantial change has taken place in the way season ticket packages are sold — for instance, partial plans replacing full-season plans, perhaps leading to specific dead dates on the calendar.

This is disconcerting not just from a revenue standpoint, but much more significantly from a fan experience perspective. Empty stadiums may give you a better shot at taking home a foul ball, but they’re hardly the ideal setting to watch a game. When players, fans and broadcasters about regular season games having a postseason vibe, they mean the buzz and electricity that come from a packed stadium. Poorly attended games make for a diminished ambiance. With ticket and concession prices ever increasing, there is a danger of a downward spiral of return on fan investment.

Yes, the weather will warm up eventually, and with it the walk-up crowds that make for fuller stadiums once school lets out for the summer. But that’s not necessarily a saving grace for the teams not even making an effort to compete this year, especially once the school year starts again in August. The Tampa Bay Rays — not one of the 18 teams mentioned above — posted their worst three dates of 2017 from Aug. 23 on. What will happen to the teams well out of contention come the dog days?

Whatever the ceiling may prove to be, it is clear that the floor has fallen. We may not know the true fallout until the end of the season.

as far as attending a game, I'm done with the Red Sox and every other pro team. Concerts too. Fock ticket master and their fees and the teams and their outrageous prices. Bilk someone else.

So you post how Toronto has a dome and they have the biggest difference then post an article where they blame the weather in the first paragraph.

Weather has been crap. I don't think it's some big Exodus from baseball.

So you post how Toronto has a dome and they have the biggest difference then post an article where they blame the weather in the first paragraph.

Weather has been crap. I don't think it's some big Exodus from baseball.

I posted an article :wacko:

MLB attendance - Ouch - down 66 million from this time last year.

Wow- down 66 million just from this time last year, that's pretty impressive since the total attendance last year was 73 million total. So they got MORE than 66 million(since that's what they are down) in the first month of the season last year, and only 7 million after that... :shocking:

That's what those bastages get for kneeling!!!!! :mad:

That would explain why Church attendance is down too.

This is one area where Trump might actually do something right. If this were any other industry other than baseball, there would be a massive investigation into human smuggling, money laundering, Rico statutes, Etc.

All these third world who suddenly show up in America after teams have paid off drug cartels and human Smugglers need a serious second look.

Fock going to see a game. It's too damn expensive. Paying some dlck hole 25 million a year to play a game

Highest salaries for 2018

Clayton Kershaw $33,000,000
Zack Greinke $31,876,966
David Price $30,000,000
Miguel Cabrera $28,000,000
Justin Verlander $28,000,000
Jason Heyward $26,055,288
Albert Pujols $26,055,288
Felix Hernandez $25,857,143
Jon Lester $25,000,000
CC Sabathia $25,000,000

Fock going to see a game. It's too damn expensive. Paying some dlck hole 25 million a year to play a game

Would you rather see that money go to the owners? It's going to go somewhere.

Highest salaries for 2018

Clayton Kershaw $33,000,000

Zack Greinke $31,876,966

David Price $30,000,000

Miguel Cabrera $28,000,000

Justin Verlander $28,000,000

Jason Heyward $26,055,288

Albert Pujols $26,055,288

Felix Hernandez $25,857,143

Jon Lester $25,000,000

CC Sabathia $25,000,000

Only off by 15 million on Sabathia. Good grief

Wow- down 66 million just from this time last year, that's pretty impressive since the total attendance last year was 73 million total. So they got MORE than 66 million(since that's what they are down) in the first month of the season last year, and only 7 million after that... :shocking:

Nothing, no one is going to explain how attendance can be down 66 million for the same time last year, when the total attendance for all of last year was 73 million.

I think I'm going with Fake News. :lol:

No way. I would much rather see the players get a bigger cut. But it's expensive because the players and the owners make an insane markup on their product. So rock them for getting absolutely filthy rich from over charging fans of the game

Excellent post and an interesting conundrum.

Have ticket prices, ever gone down, EVER in the history of sports?

I mean, bottom line is there's too many games. We all know that.

No there isn't...

Excellent post and an interesting conundrum.

Have ticket prices, ever gone down, EVER in the history of sports?

Probably somewhere in some sport it has but no for the most part they don't. Why would they? Demand is always there and always has been.

Ok sparky...

Best sport on the planet... The more the merrier...

I wish the season had more double-headers and was over 200+ games...

Best sport on the planet... The more the merrier...

I wish the season had more double-headers and was over 200+ games...

unwillingness to see MLB needs major changes is the reason it will fail. you're leading the way

unwillingness to see MLB needs major changes is the reason it will fail. you're leading the way

I was changing it... More games...