Sign in to follow this  
Larry David

My Garappolo Trade Suggestion

With all this speculation about Garappolo to the Browns, here is my trade proposal that I think makes sense for both sides. The Browns have two second round picks in this draft and three in next year’s draft. I would trade the four best of those picks to New England for Garappolo. Besides getting the QB they desperately need, the Browns would still keep the 1st and 12th picks in this year’s draft and a 1st pick and 2nd rounder in next year’s draft. They also have a total of five picks in the 5th and 6th rounds this year to help cushion the blow of their lost picks. The Patriots would be getting four quality picks for a guy who has yet to throw 100 passes in the NFL. Seems to me it would be hard for them to ignore that offer even if doesn't involve a first round pick.

How do we know he's the Qb that they need.

You said it yourself he hasn't even thrown 100 passes in the NFL.

I'm not to sure that passing on him might not be in the best interest for the Browns.

How do we know he's the Qb that they need.

You said it yourself he hasn't even thrown 100 passes in the NFL.

I'm not to sure that passing on him might not be in the best interest for the Browns.

You're absolutely right. He might be the next Brock Osweiler or Matt Flynn or Matt Cassel. But if the Browns like what they've seen from the tape and want to roll the dice on him, they can't be faulted too much if he turns out to be a bust if they don't waste a single first round draft pick on him.

I don't remember a single thing about Garapplo when he came into the NFL.

Was he highly regarded?

Mike Glennon played pretty well in 21 games during his career with below average/college caliber coaching, in the NFL and Tampa couldn't even get ONE second round pick for him. You think 3 games... one of which ended in an injury, with quite possibly the best coach of all time, is going to warrant FOUR second round picks? ZERO percent chance of that happening.

Was he highly regarded?

No. If he were, every team wouldn't have passed on him twice (once for New England).

Thanks for the reply Tbay.

I agree with your post, I don't see how he's worthy of all them picks.

I think the Browns are better off keeping them.

I know it's just one man's opinion, but he's not the only person who believes that Garappolo has a good chance to buck the trend of recent QB faceplants....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18725360/is-jimmy-garoppolo-overhyped-budding-star-new-england-patriots-2017-nfl-offseason

The verdict

I completely understand if some teams have hesitation about trading for Garoppolo, given the extremely small sample size. But there are plenty of positives on the tape, and it's not like he has come out of nowhere. (Remember, Garoppolo was a second-round pick out of Eastern Illinois.)

Sure, Garoppolo is still developing. And there will be situations where his lack of reps shows up during games. But given the five key areas we just looked at, Garoppolo should carry high value if the Patriots put him on the trade market.

Also, if you're Cleveland and you have this rare opportunity to pull off a trade because of a surplus of draft picks but don't pull the trigger and Garoppolo proves to be a winner somewhere else, it would be a tough pill to swallow.

It's the same pill that they have been choking down for many many years.

Getting a good Qb is without question a big need for the Browns.

Just seems like a lot to give up for what was a second round pick that has shown very little in the NFL.

I know it's just one man's opinion, but he's not the only person who believes that Garappolo has a good chance to buck the trend of recent QB faceplants....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18725360/is-jimmy-garoppolo-overhyped-budding-star-new-england-patriots-2017-nfl-offseason

The verdict

I completely understand if some teams have hesitation about trading for Garoppolo, given the extremely small sample size. But there are plenty of positives on the tape, and it's not like he has come out of nowhere. (Remember, Garoppolo was a second-round pick out of Eastern Illinois.)

Sure, Garoppolo is still developing. And there will be situations where his lack of reps shows up during games. But given the five key areas we just looked at, Garoppolo should carry high value if the Patriots put him on the trade market.

Also, if you're Cleveland and you have this rare opportunity to pull off a trade because of a surplus of draft picks but don't pull the trigger and Garoppolo proves to be a winner somewhere else, it would be a tough pill to swallow.

4 picks is a lot! Assuming they really like Garropolo, which is not a foregone conclusion, I think two 2nd round picks gets it done. Given all the picks in their pocket; that is the easier side of the coin. You would also have to redo his contract. So, the real question is how much do they like him?

I can see Cleveland actually targeting a sleeper QB later in this draft or deferring this decision until next year, when they could own another high pick in a better QB draft.

As I understand it, they have offered the 12th in this year's draft plus a couple picks in next year's (think it was a 2nd and a 4th). That's 3 picks and the Pats scoffed at it. Thus, the Browns have moved on.

This trade won't happen.

As I understand it, they have offered the 12th in this year's draft plus a couple picks in next year's (think it was a 2nd and a 4th). That's 3 picks and the Pats scoffed at it. Thus, the Browns have moved on.

This trade won't happen.

I think that report you heard was from the same source that I heard last year where the Bucs were offered a second and third last year and a second this year for Glennon. The Bucs apparently wanted more. Sorry, don't believe it. Either one.

Was he highly regarded?

I think New England took him Late in the second round.

That being said, I think he was projected to be a second round pick. a cut below the elite QB's in that draft year.

But what you are really getting is that same player who was well coached.

Not all second round picks turn out to be players, but some do.

Carr, and Brees are two QB's currently playing who were selected in the second round.

here is the scouting report from his draft year:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jimmy-garoppolo?id=2543801

I can see why the Browns would want to trade for him, but I think giving up so much for him isn't a good move.

I would rather keep the picks.

I don't know that this is the way to go but the Browns need to get a QB some how.

Maybe use the 12th pick on a QB.

This trade won't happen.

We'll find out if this is accurate eventually. Although I would think NE would jump at the chance to get the 1.12 and a SINGLE second rounder in 2018.

This trade won't happen.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Does that mean I shouldn't believe this post, which means I should believe everything on the internet?

My gut tells me they'll draft Garrett at 1 and either Trubisky or Watson at 12. I'd prefer Trubisky, but it doesn't much matter. I think they want Trubisky and don't want anyone remotely connected to the NFL to know that. They want him to fall to 12. It could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath as there is at least 3 QB needy teams picking ahead of 12.

My gut tells me they'll draft Garrett at 1 and either Trubisky or Watson at 12. I'd prefer Trubisky, but it doesn't much matter. I think they want Trubisky and don't want anyone remotely connected to the NFL to know that. They want him to fall to 12. It could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath as there is at least 3 QB needy teams picking ahead of 12.

I think their best bet is running with Kesler this year and waiting until next year for a QB. If any QB in this draft turns out to be more than a backup... I'll be shocked. I think Kesler's floor is higher than any of these guys ceilings.

I think their best bet is running with Kesler this year and waiting until next year for a QB. If any QB in this draft turns out to be more than a backup... I'll be shocked. I think Kesler's floor is higher than any of these guys ceilings.

and I think next year is supposed to be a deeper draft (talent wise) for QB's is it not?

and I think next year is supposed to be a deeper draft (talent wise) for QB's is it not?

No clue what-so-ever. I don't follow college football, it's too boring for me. I don't pay attention to them until the NFL draft rolls around and then zero in on the players that matter.