At least with ripple there is a definite and well established use case. That right there is worth something.

More analysis on why bitcoin is more of a vehicle for asset storage than an actual useable currency.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/bitcoin-failing-currency-191100799.html

As for where the vanilla bitcoin goes from here, it seems locked into its destiny as a replacement for gold, not dollars and euros. "We know exactly how many bitcoins will ever be mined, as opposed to gold, of which we only presume that the supply is limited," said blockchain entrepreneur Vladimir Lupenko. Consequently, Lupenko believes that bitcoin has "the potential to outperform gold as the in-demand store of value asset."

Bitcoin may have failed in its original mission, but its greatest victory may be to open the door for other, more-scalable cryptocurrencies. Harnessing the power of the blockchain, projects like Etherium, which have fewer of the limits imposed by Nakamoto on their own creation, have the potential to spread much wider. Perhaps in a few decades, people will be saving for their digital pensions with bitcoin but buying their groceries with Etherium. That's assuming, of course, that the bitcoin bubble doesn't burn everyone's fingers for several decades to come.

UPS bets on blockchain as the future of the trillion dollar shipping industry.

May be good news for ETH

A start up named ShipChain is also mentioned in the article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ups-bets-blockchain-future-trillion-190014001.html

One effective way transparency and efficiency can be increased is by leveraging smart contracts, the core innovation behind the Ethereum blockchain. Smart contracts are essentially self-executing contracts that are fulfilled when predefined stipulations are met. This is particularly useful when it comes to increasing the efficiency of shipping escrow by removing or limiting the intermediaries involved, and therefore bypassing the markups they post.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/mobilecoin-cryptocurrency/amp

The Stellar blockchain is also generally regarded as being faster and more efficient than its predecessors; On Wednesday, the mobile messaging service Kik announced that it will move its Kin cryptocurrency platform from Ethereum to Stellar. "We've been using Ethereum to date, and to be honest I call it the dial-up era of blockchain," CEO Ted Livingston said.

Fast and scalable.

Forget eth. It's all about the lumens now.

Bitcoin is on the rise, so I'm going to hold off buying XLM, but once BTC levels or starts to dip I will use it to buy XLM

How much theoretically have you guys made?

I have to live vicariously through you guys.

90sbaby, how much have you made?!!

How much theoretically have you guys made?

I have to live vicariously through you guys.

In general, people don't like to talk specifics about their personal finances. It's uncouth.

In general, people don't like to talk specifics about their personal finances. It's uncouth.

Oh, okay, my apologies. :unsure:

pm me, i won't tell, promise!! :wave:

Another interesting take. This stuff is getting increasingly confusing.

https://medium.com/@thedrbits/why-i-also-find-iota-deeply-alarming-99d4f2da3282

People are starting to catch on. A decentralized network requires incentives for people to participate in the network. The crypto with the most clever incentive system combined with the most efficiency will be the one to rule them all.

The incentive issue is a weak point of every crytpo out there right now.

My fear is that when i really go down the rabbit hole, i come to the same conclusion he did, and that's that eventually end up with wharehouses full of miners which is kind of antithetical to the whole decentralized theme.

People are starting to catch on. A decentralized network requires incentives for people to participate in the network. The crypto with the most clever incentive system combined with the most efficiency will be the one to rule them all.

My fear is that when i really go down the rabbit hole, i come to the same conclusion he did, and that's that eventually end up with wharehouses full of miners which is kind of antithetical to the whole decentralized theme.

Are you familiar with MobileCoin? From Signal's founder Marlinspike?

Don't you think the current ones will eventually be replaced by something better? There is money to be made until then, but it seems to me that something else might come along and make today's coins worthless. :dunno:

I do not believe that is the future, to be certain. It's why innovations such as IOTA are springing up.

Oh, okay, my apologies. :unsure:

pm me, i won't tell, promise!! :wave:

A million bajillion dollars. Who cares? Money is relative. 5k to one guy is a lot where to another its pennies.

Verge has doubled since Edjr suggested it, thanks Ed!

A million bajillion dollars. Who cares? Money is relative. 5k to one guy is a lot where to another its pennies.

Verge has doubled since Edjr suggested it, thanks Ed!

I think peenie's curiosity is not to hear specific figures but to understand if it's been lucrative for him.

Peenie, I have so many dumb questions but so far am finding

- young, intelligent and eager, and
- experienced and discriminating, helpful.
  • Like 1

In terms of what anyone has made on crypto, it's irrelevant. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. All that matters is what's going to happen.

Don't you think the current ones will eventually be replaced by something better? There is money to be made until then, but it seems to me that something else might come along and make today's coins worthless. :dunno:

Personally, I do believe that, but I'm in the minority. I think the bitcoin hashing algorithm is too inefficient, but it's difficult to unseat the 1st guy to get big in a space.

Personally, I do believe that, but I'm in the minority. I think the bitcoin hashing algorithm is too inefficient, but it's difficult to unseat the 1st guy to get big in a space.

Well, if you're in the minority, I'm with you. The more I learn about this - the limited amount of it I can grasp - it seems that there are several problems with the technologies which exist at the moment:

1. The need for mining in conventional blockchain structures, which is terribly inefficient/expensive;

2. Scalability/ability to transaction thousands of transactions per second isn't currently possible;

3. Costs per transaction are high in conventional blockchain structure;

4. Data overflow in other structures may be a problem (I'm hearing all sorts of conflicting information/spaghetti throwing from various sides on this: some are saying certain structures like IOTA would have this problem; others are saying 'not so').

That's why I asked the question about MobileCoin. The founder of Signal - Moxie Marlinspike - claims to be making headway in 'solving' many of the problems with CCs as most are built right now.

But the articles I've seen written about this - and there aren't many - all seem to acknowledge the importance/power of hype/marketing in making a CC succeed, so I'm not sure how much posturing around MobileCoin is hype, and how much is real.

I also do not know if one can even invest in it ATM. Anyone see something on the 'web about this coin that I haven't run across?

Ok...who knows anything about MobileCoin, by Moxie?

I've seen it but didn't delve into it.

XVG up 600%

How much higher you think it could go? I bought some at 2 cents, then more at 4 cents, its at 6 currently.

These penny coins are awesome cuz a couple cents has so much room to grow.

Verge up to 9 cents from 2. Edjr is the real mastermind here!

Back down to 6. I put a lot of money into it. I feel like an idiot for not putting more in

Back down to 6. I put a lot of money into it. I feel like an idiot for not putting more in

I got more when it dipped to 6, I hope it can climb to a floor of a dime.

how do you guys buy all these little ones? seems like fun, maybe toss 100$ on like 5 of them?

Rank em if you can or if you have specific info on why this one will be "next"

I know you don't need my help, but a Hundo? :shocking: bwahahaha

how do you guys buy all these little ones? seems like fun, maybe toss 100$ on like 5 of them?

Rank em if you can or if you have specific info on why this one will be "next"

I am just skimming the surface of a lot of these coins. The bubble is not bursting now, so there is money to be made purely on speculation.

I bought in XVG when it just barely broke .01 . I wish I bought more. The premise is pretty exciting in theory with claims to unparralled anonymity and speed. There was one redditor who claimed the Verge network waa faster than the other ones he had tested. Take that for what you will. Verge also got a huge boost from John Mcafee when he proclaimed it an incredible buy. Advertising and exposure play such an important role on a coins value right now. The market cap also soared from 182m to li ke 980m. That's insane. In about 3 days I think. I like the investment long term, but there are a ton of coins in circulation. If it doubles again, the market cap goes all the way to 1.5b. So this isn't a coin going to $50 most likely. It would take a long time and the product would have to start producing at that point I imagine.

Put a short in on Doge last night against BTC. Thought Id wake up and cash out but its still sideways. Some money to be made there if you all want to look into it. Its a quick flip.

I know zero about Doge.

Thats why I shorted it. It was created as a joke and went up 50% yesterday. EASY money if you short it.

Thats why I shorted it. It was created as a joke and went up 50% yesterday. EASY money if you short it.

Oh man, I hear how that's easy money (I don't have an account through which I can short penny CCs), but that seems dangerous. You actually have to bet that the stupid people are going to be outnumbered by the smart people within the time of your short.

I dunno about that :lol: