Sign in to follow this  
Bier Meister

grumble

We know you don't know it all. You just act like you do which is aggravating. And again you missed the post where I said for him to actually go in to see a doctor so they could run those tests. You fail to understand that I actually do make decisions that affect people's health. The problem is I question whether you do or not over the simple fact that a lot of times I have questioned some of the hints you say and the way you act without providing actual proof of your claim. Your obsession to always want to seem to tell others they are wrong and you are right is a major aggravation. You skip over what you don't want to see and focus on what you do want to see. If you work in healthcare then you should know that's a bad habit as you can miss certain signs and symptoms of diseases.

Now as I said before, I already told him to actually go see a doctor. So best thing I can tell you to do is drop it and stop acting like a know it all jackass. But of course (like how a lot of posters feel and view about doctors) I can't force you to do that. Only advise

I see residents make the same mistake you did all the time. It's okay, you'll learn with time.

Also, there's no way to have a civil discussion when you resort to name-calling and basically telling me to shut the fvck up.

Light activty..... Normal tasks up and down stairs, loading car. Heat was not terrible,but I think we have some fires. Doing well with water and ac.

Thank you guys... I am not attempting to be defensive or stoic- why I called the doc

That makes me think it wasn't quite a heart attack but maybe an afib attack if it was cardio related. Definitely get some tests done and have it checked out. I always make sure people are thorough when it comes to cardiac. That's the leading cause of death in the US so I don't mess around when it comes to that

Every damn day!

I had a physical a year ago, but not a stress test.

You may need a stress test, but they also are among the most over utilized medical tests performed. There is no indication for getting one routinely. Under almost no circumstances should you be getting serial stress tests.

You may need a stress test, but they also are among the most over utilized medical tests performed. There is no indication for getting one routinely. Under almost no circumstances should you be getting serial stress tests.

Agreed. Something like that shouldn't be routinely performed like your regular lab work (which usually is every 6 months).

In all seriousness immediately chew on some baby aspirin. Believe me it can make the difference between having a stroke or not.

Or, if you're newbie just chew on some baby ass.

Spoke to Dr. Wrote a RX for inhalers. At pharmacy now. Will go to urgent care if anything escalates.

Feeling a lot better. Tired from the shallow breathing earlier. But lung feel more open by and a lot easier. It's either working or a great placebo

What's your feeling are the effects of what they call a bronchodilator. Simply put, it just widens the breathing tube.

Next time you feel like you have to take a monster s*** and you just can't get it past your sphincter, try a couple puffs up your ass. The thing will slide-out smoother than a hot dog in a tunnel.

Middle aged overweight man + chest pain/shortness of breath = high enough risk of heart disease to warrant immediate evaluation.

A couple of years ago on a train I had terrible shortness of breathe. Could hardly breathe, was unusually shallow, wanted to sleep but thought I might die if I didn't consciously force myself to take deep breathes. Was it my weight, heart problems, undiagnosed asthma, lack of ventilation/open windows? I didn't know but it seemed I was the only one enduring this.

So I see the Chinese doctor after I get home and tell him. He pulls out the stethoscope, has me take a half dozen deep breathes, that was pretty much it. 20 seconds and was the end of the evaluation, tells me I was OK.

I forgot about that story until now. I should probably get a full health screening as it's been a long while since my last one and I will have some free time finally in a few days.

A couple of years ago on a train I had terrible shortness of breathe. Could hardly breathe, was unusually shallow, wanted to sleep but thought I might die if I didn't consciously force myself to take deep breathes. Was it my weight, heart problems, undiagnosed asthma, lack of ventilation/open windows? I didn't know but it seemed I was the only one enduring this.

So I see the Chinese doctor after I get home and tell him. He pulls out the stethoscope, has me take a half dozen deep breathes, that was pretty much it. 20 seconds and was the end of the evaluation, tells me I was OK.

I forgot about that story until now. I should probably get a full health screening as it's been a long while since my last one and I will have some free time finally in a few days.

There are many things that can make you transiently short of breath. If it hasn't recurred and your exercise tolerance is OK, then it's unlikely to be something serious. Not saying you shouldn't see your doctor, but there is no routine cardiac or pulmonary screening for asymptomatic adults - the single episode of shortness of breath a few years ago doesn't count.

Things you should have checked at your age include blood pressure, weight/BMI, HIV status and cholesterol. In a few years you'll need colon cancer screening as well. If you smoke or are overweight, there are other considerations including lung cancer and diabetes screening.

Routing EKG/stress testing to screen for heart disease isn't recommended. Even the physical exam hasn't been shown to be useful.

There are many things that can make you transiently short of breath. If it hasn't recurred and your exercise tolerance is OK, then it's unlikely to be something serious. Not saying you shouldn't see your doctor, but there is no routine cardiac or pulmonary screening for asymptomatic adults - the single episode of shortness of breath a few years ago doesn't count.

Things you should have checked at your age include blood pressure, weight/BMI, HIV status and cholesterol. In a few years you'll need colon cancer screening as well. If you smoke or are overweight, there are other considerations including lung cancer and diabetes screening.

Routing EKG/stress testing to screen for heart disease isn't recommended. Even the physical exam hasn't been shown to be useful.

Thanks.

I'm 45 never smoked and on the overweight/obese border with my BMI. Never any health problems and I hardly ever see doctors for anything. I had a medical check two years ago, before that I'd not had one in five years. Then the one off thing like this, maybe a cold that lingers too long.

Maybe I take my health for granted but it's never betrayed me or given me cause to worry. Year in, year out, nothing and more nothing.

For the non-medical, EKG stands for "Electro Cardio Gram".

Thus proving Doctors are focking morons when it comes to spelling.

If I am not mistaken, they call it an EKG instead of ECG because ECG sounds too much like EEG, which is something completely different.

Thanks.

I'm 45 never smoked and on the overweight/obese border with my BMI. Never any health problems and I hardly ever see doctors for anything. I had a medical check two years ago, before that I'd not had one in five years. Then the one off thing like this, maybe a cold that lingers too long.

Maybe I take my health for granted but it's never betrayed me or given me cause to worry. Year in, year out, nothing and more nothing.

Unless you really abuse your body or have bad genes, things don't start breaking down until middle age. Especially if you let your weight get out of control. It's not too difficult or time consuming to see a doctor every year or two to stay on top of things.

If I am not mistaken, they call it an EKG instead of ECG because ECG sounds too much like EEG, which is something completely different.

I thought it was because the original term is German, electroKardiogram.

I thought it was because the original term is German, electroKardiogram.

I heard it on some TV medical show, so who knows? I might have to google it.

ETA: https://christianacare.org/services/heart/cardiovascularimaging/ekg/

Looks like we are both right.

Why is electrocardiogram abbreviated EKG?

People often wonder why electrocardiogram is abbreviated as EKG instead of ECG. The reason is that ECG sounds very similar to EEG, which is the abbreviation for electroencephalogram, a test that measures electrical activity in the brain. In order to avoid confusion, it became a convention to use the abbreviation for the German spelling—elektrokardiogramm—for the heart test, which is why it is commonly called an EKG.