Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Sports Analysts You Actually Like

I know the consensus here is that everyone hates Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. But who do you actually like to watch or at least don't mind listening to?

National? Local? Game commentators and Color commentators count?

Locally, Big Al Williams is enjoyable. Love Hubie Brown as a color analyst. Beyond that, some are listenable but don't really have any I go out of my way for. Don't watch much of the national sports channels though unless I'm actually watching sports.

National? Local? Game commentators and Color commentators count?

Locally, Big Al Williams is enjoyable. Love Hubie Brown as a color analyst. Beyond that, some are listenable but don't really have any I go out of my way for. Don't watch much of the national sports channels though unless I'm actually watching sports.

National

See there are several different genre's here.

1. The Skip Bayless group. These are people who talk about sports but its more entertainment stuff, they say things for ratings, are outlandish, etc. Sorta like a Rush Limbuaugh in politics.

2. Then you have the serious Sports "Analyst". A guy like Trent Dilfer or Louis Riddick.

3. Then you have guys that call the games. Brent Musberger, Troy Aiken, John Gruden.

So which are we talkin' bout?

Just off the top of my head I really like:

Jay Bilas

Jim Nantz

Jason Whitlock

Louis Riddick

Kenny Smith

Trent Dilfer

Howie Long

Dan Patrick

John Smoltz

David Feherety

Jeff Van Gundy

Bill Rafferty

If you're a Boston homer (is there any other kind), then you think Bill Simmons is legit.

Agree with Bilas. And I don't watch anymore but used to like watching Inside the NBA so I'll go with Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, and Ernie Johnson.

Agree with Bilas. And I don't watch anymore but used to like watching Inside the NBA so I'll go with Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, and Ernie Johnson.

Yes bilas is pretty brilliant and usually spot on with criticism of the ncaa.

The tnt crew is great as well.

Just off the top of my head I really like:

Jay Bilas

Jim Nantz

Jason Whitlock

Louis Riddick

Kenny Smith

Trent Dilfer

Howie Long

Dan Patrick

John Smoltz

David Feherety

Jeff Van Gundy

Bill Rafferty

Pretty decent list here. Smoltz was great in the World Series

Boomer Esiason. Hardest working guy in sports media.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Lebatard. Funny, I used to hate him when he was on around the horn and a fill in on PTI, back when I watched those shows, but his radio show with Stu gotz has a spot now on ESPN radio NY and he is very entertaining. I still don't think hes all that great in terms of bringing sports knowledge and hes definitely a bit of a "your wrong if you don't see it my way" type but hes funny and his show is so not serious that its very enjoyable to listen to.

Jim Nantz

Al Michaels

Nick Faldo

David Feherty

Boomer Esiason

Jon Gruden (as long as I give him a pass on his constant love of everyone minus refs)

Brian Billick

Michael Kay (his radio show, not as the Yankee Broadcaster)

Don LaGreca

Alan Hahn and Rick DiPietro on ESPN radio

Mike and Mike (though I think most people disagree there)

Michael Irvin

Howie Long

Jeff Van Gundy

Charles Barkley

Anita Marks

Dave Rothenberg

i know this is a mash of types (as KSB pointed out). Im not really a Bilas guy and I definitely don't get the love for Riddick.

Guys calling sports:

Vern Lundquist or Nance calling the Masters

Vin Scully calling baseball

Barney Hall (RIP) or Eli Gold calling Neckcar

Someone mentioned Lebatard. Funny, I used to hate him when he was on around the horn and a fill in on PTI, back when I watched those shows, but his radio show with Stu gotz has a spot now on ESPN radio NY and he is very entertaining. I still don't think hes all that great in terms of bringing sports knowledge and hes definitely a bit of a "your wrong if you don't see it my way" type but hes funny and his show is so not serious that its very enjoyable to listen to.

Jim Nantz

Al Michaels

Nick Faldo

David Feherty

Boomer Esiason

Jon Gruden (as long as I give him a pass on his constant love of everyone minus refs)

Brian Billick

Michael Kay (his radio show, not as the Yankee Broadcaster)

Don LaGreca

Alan Hahn and Rick DiPietro on ESPN radio

Mike and Mike (though I think most people disagree there)

Michael Irvin

Howie Long

Jeff Van Gundy

Charles Barkley

Anita Marks

Dave Rothenberg

i know this is a mash of types (as KSB pointed out). Im not really a Bilas guy and I definitely don't get the love for Riddick.

From your list.

Humpty and Hahn are Great (they supported my charity in September and Rick actually showed up so I cannot thank them as much as humanly possible!!!) They have great on air presence.

Mike and Mike is OK when Boomer and Carton is in commercial break (not really a fan of Carton). Greenie is apparently leaving Mike and Mike.

Hate the Yankees and hate Michael Kay and Susan Waldyn (so??) announcing. He is such a tool bag. Home run calls a joke.

That said I really like the Michael Kay show on ESPN radio. It is better when Michael is not there. That is another bunch of hard working radio guys. LeGreca and Rothenberg should really have a show of their own.

Fvck Mike Francesca in his fat pie hole.

I just want to be entertained, so....

Ernie, Kenny, Chuck, and Shaq.

Skip and Shannon on Fox Sports/Tony and Wilbon on PTI.

From your list.

Humpty and Hahn are Great (they supported my charity in September and Rick actually showed up so I cannot thank them as much as humanly possible!!!) They have great on air presence.

Mike and Mike is OK when Boomer and Carton is in commercial break (not really a fan of Carton). Greenie is apparently leaving Mike and Mike.

Hate the Yankees and hate Michael Kay and Susan Waldyn (so??) announcing. He is such a tool bag. Home run calls a joke.

That said I really like the Michael Kay show on ESPN radio. It is better when Michael is not there. That is another bunch of hard working radio guys. LeGreca and Rothenberg should really have a show of their own.

Fvck Mike Francesca in his fat pie hole.

first of all, thats awesome that rick showed up. feel free to PM me about the charity and if I can, i'd be more than happy to help next year (especially if DiPietro is there :thumbsup: )

Did not hear that Greeny was leaving... guess that opens up the door for Golic Jr. I'm not a big fan. Maybe Im biased because he clearly only has the job because of his dad but when he talks it feels like he tries wayyy too hard.

I love the Kay show WITH Kay. He and Don work really well together. Dave Rothenberg, I initially was not a fan of when I first started listening to the various shows but after giving him a real chance he is very talented, especially considering he mostly does solo shows for long stretches. ROSENBERG on the other hand is a joke and I wish they would get him the fock off the Kay show. Clearly was only brought in for WWE and when ESPN Radio made the very obvious distinction to go more "shock jock" with their shows. Constant sound drops and non stop innuendo. Its funny when it's timed right but for a while there the Kay show and Hahn and Humpty sounded more like Z morning Zoo.

Greenberg thing was news to me too. I just don't know or see how Golic Will continue on for very long On his own.I have expected Greenberg to go The way of Mitch Albom For years now. He's written a few books And he clearly has interests outside of talking about sports for four hours every morning.I could actually see him making the transition Away from Sports entirely If that's what he chooses.In researching the story about him Leaving Mike and Mike, He just signed a huge new deal with ESPN That pays him basically Jon Gruden level of money. So he's locked down for a while.But since Disney owns All of it ESPN and ABC and everything else, He can certainly choose any number of avenues.I totally agree about Golic Jr. I would have to think most people feel that way. But given the hacks at ESPN management I can see Golic and Golic Or some other Hideous combination Sort of like you see with Dan lebatard and his incoherent father.

Partial to the team of Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura myself.

It's still real to me dammit.

Some of the name here make me sick. Dan LeRetard is the worst thing out that, that show with his idiot father is horrible. Patrick/Dungy/whoever the third guy is are pretty bad on Sunday nights.

If you can get past the occasional Michael Irvin hyperbole, the NFL network crew of Eisen, Mariucci, Warner, Irvin, and Marshall Faulk is pretty good.

I like Jim Nantz for golf. I like McCord and Feherty, but mainly because golf, due to its nature, needs a bit of that in the broadcasts.

Old school baseball broadcasters are dying off but always love a game on the radio while doing something outside in the summer. I will use this as a opportunity to remind people that bo schembechler focking fired one of the all-time greats (Ernie Harwell) during his stint with the tigers. He preached so much garbage at Michigan (the team..the team..the team.., all the Michigan man garbage.....a Michigan man is gonna coach Michigan) and then gets to the tigers and focking fires Ernie Harwell. I've said it before and will say it again....screw bo schembechler and all the bs he ever spewed.

I bet most of us here have watched a game with Aikman and Buck broadcasting, for example, and have said..."I swear to God, I bet 99% of the world would rather listen to me and one or two of my buddies broadcast this game."

Barkley

Barry Melrose

Golic

Michael Kay (May only be NY, but I am not sure)

Louis Riddick

Gruden (particularly when he does his QB draft stuff)

Mel Kiper

Suzy Kolber

Lee Corso

Kirk Herbstreit

Mike Emrick

Greenberg thing was news to me too. I just don't know or see how Golic Will continue on for very long On his own.I have expected Greenberg to go The way of Mitch Albom For years now. He's written a few books And he clearly has interests outside of talking about sports for four hours every morning.I could actually see him making the transition Away from Sports entirely If that's what he chooses.In researching the story about him Leaving Mike and Mike, He just signed a huge new deal with ESPN That pays him basically Jon Gruden level of money. So he's locked down for a while.But since Disney owns All of it ESPN and ABC and everything else, He can certainly choose any number of avenues.I totally agree about Golic Jr. I would have to think most people feel that way. But given the hacks at ESPN management I can see Golic and Golic Or some other Hideous combination Sort of like you see with Dan lebatard and his incoherent father.

this is maybe the most thought out and logical post i've ever seen you make.

but I have to point out that lebatard and his father are not a show combination. his father is comedic relief while Dan is paired with someone else (stu gotz, bomani jones). If they tried to actually make Papi Lebatard one half of a sports talk show, that would be bad. Perhaps i'm wrong and they did have a show like that in the Miami market? but all of the Lebatard vehicles that i've seen have his father as the voice for intros or as small parts of the show

Vin Scully calling baseball

im going to get destroyed for this but Vin Scully is/was so overrated. Perhaps he was great before I was born, or even 10 years ago.,... and i've listened to radio interviews with him and he is entertaining in that type of spot but I listened to him do a few games this season and I wanted to just mute the TV.

i think I even had a thread here asking who the hell was doing the Dodgers game and why they would let someone so terrible just drone on about nonsense as a 1 man crew.

Bad on me for not knowing who it was. I know Scully and I know hes a legend but my god, did he just stay too long or was he always like that?

I like all the guys it's cool to say suck but really are the most entertaining and watched. I on,y really watch NFLN though so I prefer the former players.

i've long been a Boomer fan. played for the Jets and the Cardinals (my uncles team) and does great work on his talk show (even though carton is an annoying dbag) and on NFL pre games.

but im just now thinking.... would love Al Michaels and Boomer. If it has to be SNF, Boomer would be better than Colinsworth

Boomer

Monday to Friday Boomer and Carton on the FAN 6AM to 10AM.

All day Sunday doing CBS pre half and Post game show.

Monday night on location doing MNF for Westward One radio.

Inside the NFL for Showtime

Runs his Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Football season is Boomer Season

BTW 8 times out of 10 he is in the WFAN studio at 6AM Tuesday after doing a MNF on location broadcast.

Maddog Russo

Nobody admits they listen to Fransayso but everyone does. I do

Boomer is good

Beningo amd Roberts are horrible unless you want to only hear about the Jets Mets and Nets.

this is maybe the most thought out and logical post i've ever seen you make.

but I have to point out that lebatard and his father are not a show combination. his father is comedic relief while Dan is paired with someone else (stu gotz, bomani jones). If they tried to actually make Papi Lebatard one half of a sports talk show, that would be bad. Perhaps i'm wrong and they did have a show like that in the Miami market? but all of the Lebatard vehicles that i've seen have his father as the voice for intros or as small parts of the show

Just wanted to call out Bomani Jones who I find one of the most entertaining and enjoyable talk show host around.

Also Inside the NBA has the best crew top to bottom and it isn't close. And basketball is probably 3rd to me of the major sports after football and baseball.

Maddog Russo

Boomer is good

Beningo amd Roberts are horrible unless you want to only hear about the Jets Mets and Nets.

I like a lot of the Mad Dog team -- Morning men, Schein come to mind. Mad Dog himself drives me nuts, and Torre recapping him is worthless. I like the hire of Meagher, and am meh with Nicole and Bucher who they just hired from Bleacher Report. They let Graca go in the shakeup which sucks.

BTW 8 times out of 10 he is in the WFAN studio at 6AM Tuesday after doing a MNF on location broadcast.

The guy who does Boomer and Cartons blog was in my fantasy league for a while. He was the second best player.

Maddog Russo

Boomer is good

I do because I like sports and only so many times I can listen to Stairway to Heaven.

That said I listen to him when Kay is in commercial and I yell at the radio every time.

Ed Coleman was on over the weekend and he had conversations with callers for 5 10 minutes at a time Fatso won't let you get more then a few sentences in and once he talks (and tells you you are wrong) you are cut off.

Callers were actually saying to Eddie C it was nice to actually talk sports on the radio and not be rushed off the call. Everyone knew who that dig was directed too.

Coleman and Dave Sims had a good show years ago. Salzburgh was the worst and Sommers is just as bad.