Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

Here is a question for you guys. How do you go about selecting bounce for your wedges?

Far too many don't have enuff Bounce in their wedges............ Far too many either have no clue what it is/how to use it, or they've watched too much tv and think they are Phil Mickelson.

I encourage all to play as much Bounce as they can handle, which in turn: when in doubt, play more Bounce... I have 14* in my SW and 12* in my LW.

Far too many don't have enuff Bounce in their wedges............ Far too many either have no clue what it is/how to use it, or they've watched too much tv and think they are Phil Mickelson.

I encourage all to play as much Bounce as they can handle, which in turn: when in doubt, play more Bounce... I have 14* in my SW and 12* in my LW.

Interesting. I have tried 12 degrees in several different wedges and just honestly could not hit them as well. Maybe I will revisit this.

Anyone familiar with Sun Mountain bags? Never had one. I like a bigger bag with a stand. They are all so light now a days anyway. Looking at their 5.5lb carry bag.

Also, anyone familiar with golfdirect?

Interesting. I have tried 12 degrees in several different wedges and just honestly could not hit them as well. Maybe I will revisit this.

Anyone familiar with Sun Mountain bags? Never had one. I like a bigger bag with a stand. They are all so light now a days anyway. Looking at their 5.5lb carry bag.

Ive got a Sun Mountain carry bag that Ive used for over 10 yrs. I would definitely buy another.

Ive got a Sun Mountain carry bag that Ive used for over 10 yrs. I would definitely buy another.

Yeah I have heard good reviews but no one in my group has ever had one.

I had an ogio about 10 years ago that I loved. Got another about 5 years ago that I hate. Wont buy an ogio now but one thing I liked is mine had 8 slots. They had a mix of levels and individual club slots. That is the best set up.

Others I see 14 slots or 4. Titleist with 5.

Durability and just overall setup would be my main things to weigh. The sun mountain 4.5lb comes with 14 slots. The 5.5lb does not. Not sure why.

At 10:00 am.... GobbleDog will be hitting the links!

I golf about once a year or so. Last year I counted every shot - even when it only went an inch. Final score.... 136!!!! :ninja:

Here is a question for you guys. How do you go about selecting bounce for your wedges? I see you have 2 low bounces sandwiched around a 13 degree bounce. I understand you can produce more shots with more options, but for my 9 handicap, I am not really getting too cute. I carry similar bounces on all. 52-8* bounce.

55-10* bounce. 58-8* bounce. And I have carried 8 degree in all 3 before.

I have tried 12 degree bounce in a variety of lofts and I just don't hit high bounce wedges as consistent.

i know you got some answers already but I think they left out some key information for you.

you want to take 2 things into heavy consideration when it comes to bounce.

1. The course conditions you normally play (example: harder, firmer tracks down in Texas versus generally softer, wetter tracks in the northeast.) yes I know day to day weather has an impact, of course, but you generally know if you tend to play on firmer or softer turf.

2. your angle of attack. Are you a "digger" or a "picker". Steep or shallow?

less bounce is going to dig into the turf more. If you are a steeper angle of attack guy who plays in the northeast, like myself, you want as much bounce as possible, in my opinion.

if you have a shallower angle of attack and tend to play on a lot of hard turf courses conditions, a bit lower bounce may be good for you.

sand trap conditions can be the same way. Lots of courses have much more soft/fluffy sand.

and like a lot of aspects of golf, you're going to need to tinker and see what works for you. I can play almost any shot with a 56* regardless of the bounce it has. But I used to have a lower bounce Cleveland 60* and I can't tell you how many times I dug right under the ball on 1/2-full shots. Now I have a ping with the eye sole and more bounce and I trust the club on every shot.

Just got a new golf bag for xmas after using a Ping Hoofer for...... 18 years? It was either the original Hoofer or the 2nd generation. I think Original. Was a great bag and I took good care of it but the spine was bent a little (sat awkwardly on the back of a cart, always shifting around), was getting some holes, and always dealt with some minor club tangle.

Got the newest Hoofer. I love it. 5 way top (they also have a 14 slot option). The bag is bigger and the dividers go all the way down. Almost no grip tangle.... Tons of pockets and im in the middle of arranging things how I want them. Even with more pockets, the new Hoofer somehow feels like it has less "versatility" with the pockets. A lot of small pockets versus the old Hoofer which has a few larger pockets.... but not really a complaint. Theres plenty of space for everything, I just may be opening more pockets than usual to get at everything I need.

It took me so long to get a new bag because my old hoofer was a gift from my grandfather a year or so before he passed and I took great care of it. Its not going anywhere. Ill display it or at least keep a second set of clubs in it.... but also, by the time I wanted a new bag and was dead set on another Hoofer, I felt the quality had gone to shit. The material always felt way too flimsy, probably as a result of all the bag companies trying to outdo themselves in terms of weight and Ping also had that phase with the terrible retractable strap. :rolleyes: \

I considered going with a Titleist a few years ago but i'm glad I waited.

I know you asked about Sun Mountain. When I worked in golf retail they were very popular. No clue right now. I would definitely rec. the Hoofer though. :thumbsup:

Annie Verret has to be the happiest girl in the world right now...... Sounds like Spieth popped the question to her over the holidays.

I bet she couldn't get "YES!!!!!!" out fast enuff. :D

Durability and just overall setup would be my main things to weigh. The sun mountain 4.5lb comes with 14 slots. The 5.5lb does not. Not sure why.

Sun Mountain bags are great. I've had 4 or 5 over the years. New ones were always an upgrade, not because they fell apart or anything. I don't think you will beat them for durability.

Went out today (37 was the high) and still managed to shoot 80 (38-42). Wildest shot was 2nd shot over water came up short then to my amazement it bounced off ice on water and landed in fringe. I still bogeyed the hole but it could have been a lot worse.

Playing Whitestone on Sunday. Supposed to be 62 degrees, which is a bit too cold, but sometimes one has to tough out the poor conditions if they want to stay sharp.

Playing Whitestone on Sunday. Supposed to be 62 degrees, which is a bit too cold, but sometimes one has to tough out the poor conditions if they want to stay sharp.

Batten down the hatches, supposed to be windy as hell... WS is not exactly wind friendly as it is.

I'm playing Saturday for sure...... working on sneaking out 2moro too. :ninja:

Winter finally returned back to Texas, the real winner.. Was 60* and sunny.

Played like ass, 80 - but Gawd it felt good to hit the ball again and be out... 27 coming 2moro - going to be even nicer. :thumbsup:

Sun Mountain bags are great. I've had 4 or 5 over the years. New ones were always an upgrade, not because they fell apart or anything. I don't think you will beat them for durability.

Yeah grabbed last years 5.5lb model on golfdirect. They were on closeout for 150 bucks. Thought it was a good deal.

:dunno:

my bag has Ping on it. It was $155

Tour Trek makes a great bag too... I currently have the 4.0 model, hands down best bag I've ever owned.. Only cost me about $140... If it had "Titleist" on it instead of Tour Trek, they'd charge $275 for them.... This is the 6.0 model, damn near a replica of the 4.0.

https://www.golfonline.co.uk/masters-tour-trek-t6.0-stand-bag

bag looks nice although I hate that style strap

i think thats why i graviate to Ping. When I walk, 75% of the time I pick up my bag with the "top" strap over my right shoulder and just sort of sling it around my back with my left hand down around the base of the bag. I don't even bother with the 2nd strap.

bags with the strap system like the one you linked are really uncomfortable (at least to me) when i try to carry my bag that way. I don't always want to wear it full backpack style.

bag looks nice although I hate that style strap

i think thats why i graviate to Ping. When I walk, 75% of the time I pick up my bag with the "top" strap over my right shoulder and just sort of sling it around my back with my left hand down around the base of the bag. I don't even bother with the 2nd strap.

bags with the strap system like the one you linked are really uncomfortable (at least to me) when i try to carry my bag that way. I don't always want to wear it full backpack style.

I can see that.

But I rarely carry my bag anymore.. And I love the durability and stand feature of my T-Trek... The Ping Hoofer bag is one of the greatest scams in the history of golf - cheaply made, poorly designed - but they sold a shiit load of them bcoz they say "Ping".

I can see that.

But I rarely carry my bag anymore.. And I love the durability and stand feature of my T-Trek... The Ping Hoofer bag is one of the greatest scams in the history of golf - cheaply made, poorly designed - but they sold a shiit load of them bcoz they say "Ping".

yeah, i'm going to completely disagree on that at least in terms of the (now 2) that i've owned. They definitely went through a phase, like all bag companies did, where I felt the materials they were using were cheap but marketed as "lightweight" since bag companies were trying to out do each other in that category. Sun Mountain bags always felt like they were using parachute material..... and like i mentioned before, Ping had another phase where they used a retractable top strap which was garbage.... but the initial Hoofer was an awesome bag. Afterall, the whole "Hoofer" aspect was really just the wider base to the bag. It was roomier than previous ping bags, really durable materials and while I know some people don't love Ping's stand system, I always found it to be much better than a lot of the cheap "pedal" deisgn kick stands. Can't tell you how many of those we had to send back to the manufacturers when I worked in golf retail. Titleist was always big on those.

the design and construction of the Hoofer I just got is far superior to any bag I see in Golf Galaxy or Dicks or wherever Im browsing. Time will tell if it's as durable and well constructed as my last one. Not many people keep the same bag for 16+ years. :lol:

Not many people keep the same bag for 16+ years. :lol:

16 + years as your everyday, day in-day out, 40+ rounds a year bag? I call BS.. I had 2 and besides tossing my stuff all over the place, wore out quick.

16 + years as your everyday, day in-day out, 40+ rounds a year bag? I call BS.. I had 2 and besides tossing my stuff all over the place, wore out quick.

yup. you do have to keep in mind that over the last few years my rounds per year is closer to 10. but I got that bag when I was in middle school so my junior golf days and time on my high school golf team I was using it more than 40 rounds per year. It tapered off from there. A few years during college and right after my cousin was getting into the game and we played a lot so it probably stayed up around 40 rounds. I'm kind of anal about taking care of my stuff maybe? I could continue to use that bag if I wanted, its in great shape. I think i mentioned in an earlier post, the spine is now crooked and there are 2 small holes in the fabric (one in the area where it would most likely rub against my belt/back and one in the pocket where I keep my loose, used balls which touches the ground). From the time i got my liscense, it probably spent most of its life in my trunk.

I had Ogio the last 2 bags. Loved the top and the 8 slots on my last one worked perfect. But wasn't thrilled with the rest of the bag. I wish other brands would try out their system of slots.

I have a Calloway lightweight carry bag. Love it to carry and ride. Got my son a similar one with better colors (to match his HS team). Sturdy and light weight is most important to me

I have a Calloway lightweight carry bag. Love it to carry and ride. Got my son a similar one with better colors (to match his HS team). Sturdy and light weight is most important to me

Not being a total rock is important to me. But I can't stand the really light weight bags with no room and my clubs sticking halfway out.

When I chose the 5.5lb Sun Mountain over the 4.5lb. I just figure I can easily take a lb worth of stuff out of my bag if I want. The 3.5 and 2.5 bags were not an option for me.

I understand the really lightweight bags. If I lived in the south it would make more sense. But then again if it is 90 and humid each day I would probably not walk as much as I do now.

I walk probably 8 or 9 times out of 10. I have always preferred a bigger stand bag. And these days it seems they make them so light anyway. I had some pretty heavy carry bags back in the day. Now a days it seems like they are all very light.

Not being a total rock is important to me. But I can't stand the really light weight bags with no room and my clubs sticking halfway out.

When I chose the 5.5lb Sun Mountain over the 4.5lb. I just figure I can easily take a lb worth of stuff out of my bag if I want. The 3.5 and 2.5 bags were not an option for me.

I understand the really lightweight bags. If I lived in the south it would make more sense. But then again if it is 90 and humid each day I would probably not walk as much as I do now.

I walk probably 8 or 9 times out of 10. I have always preferred a bigger stand bag. And these days it seems they make them so light anyway. I had some pretty heavy carry bags back in the day. Now a days it seems like they are all very light.

In my 3.0, I can carry my clubs and plenty of other stuff. No issues for me.

this.

I don't walk 8 or 9 times out of 10 because a lot of my play is charity/corporate outings or when I book a tee time on golfnow or teeoff.com, a cart is usually included but when I do walk I never find myself thinking "gee, wish I had that bag that was only 2.5 lbs when completely empty".

Even walking with my old ass Hoofer. I didn't have some of the stuff a lot of guys probably carry that adds weight (range finder for example) but I always had a box of new balls, a wind pullover, some used balls i'd taken out of play, the wrenches for my hybrid and driver, sharpies, divot tools, tees etc.. like anyone else. Wallet, Cell. Usually a bottle of water. Towel draped over my alignment rods... never had any issues.

Batten down the hatches, supposed to be windy as hell... WS is not exactly wind friendly as it is.

I'm playing Saturday for sure...... working on sneaking out 2moro too. :ninja:

I managed an 83. Very windy, but Im striking the ball well. 11 of 14 fairways, but only managed to hit 7 greens and had 36 putts. Ill take it considering the conditions and that I hadnt swung a club in 3 weeks.

Rory McIlroy says the U.S. winning the 2018 Ryder Cup "won't be as easy as they think it's going to be"

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-says-the-us-winning-the-2018-ryder-cup-wont-be-as-easy-as-they-think-its-going-to-be?mbid=social_facebook

The RC is in France this year..... Won't be shocked to see Fowler dump his chick, just so he can bang some French poosay during the Cup. :banana:

I post pictures of my ancient ping bag for Cruzer and he doesn't even look or comment

:(

I post pictures of my ancient ping bag for Cruzer and he doesn't even look or comment

:(

Aw, my bad - I forgot about that.

That one held up well for sure.. But like I said, was it an everyday, 40+ round year bag? I put mine thur a lot - they get worn out....... Love those 845, great classic sticks!

So I just learned something new:

Ive always struggled with pushing putts. Its always been my miss and Ive gone to such lengths to adjust my stroke (slight arc) that I often dont feel like Im square and consistent. Just a band aid approach overall with very inconsistent results....Ive had the same putter for the last 15 years. I never knew about toe hang, but my putter is a strong toe hang meaning it made more weight in the toe. Which causes the heel to rotate easier = tendency to push.

Trying out new putters this Friday. I like simple blade designs. I like the look of the new ping anser 2 Vault, very curious to see the difference using a mild toe hang or face balanced putter.

Aw, my bad - I forgot about that.

That one held up well for sure.. But like I said, was it an everyday, 40+ round year bag? I put mine thur a lot - they get worn out....... Love those 845, great classic sticks!

as i said before, I had it through the end of middle school junior golf and high school golf. between general play and matches/tournaments it got well more than 40+ rounds for those years. Then maybe my 2nd or 3rd year of college, my cousin started playing and i was teaching him and we were playing 40+ rounds. The last few years though, it has admittedly been closer to 10 rounds per season, which I am vowing to up this year. This season I maybe got 13 rounds in but I still dragged that bag around the range practice facilities twice a week after work. I would say the earlier years with that bag more than made up for these last few "lean years".