Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Immigrant workers, families to protest by staying home

https://www.yahoo.com/news/immigrant-workers-families-protest-staying-home-192449176.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Organizers in cities across the U.S. are telling immigrants to miss class, miss work and not shop on Thursday as a way to show the country how important they are to America's economy and way of life.
"A Day Without Immigrants" actions are planned in cities including Philadelphia, Washington, Boston and Austin, Texas.
The protest comes in response to President Donald Trump and his 1-month-old administration. The Republican president has pledged to increase deportation of immigrants living in the country illegally, build a wall along the Mexican border, and ban people from certain majority-Muslim countries from coming into the U.S. He also has blamed high unemployment on immigration.
Employers and institutions in some cities were already expressing solidarity Wednesday with immigrant workers. Washington restaurateur John Andrade said he would close his businesses Thursday, and David Suro, owner of Tequilas Restaurant in Philadelphia and a Mexican immigrant, said he also planned to participate.
The Davis Museum at Wellesley College in Massachusetts said it would remove or shroud all artwork created or given by immigrants to the museum through Feb. 21.
In New Mexico, the state with the largest percentage of Hispanic residents in the nation, school officials worried that hundreds of students may stay home on Thursday.
"We respectfully ask all parents to acknowledge that students need to be in class every day to benefit from the education they are guaranteed and to avoid falling behind in school and life," principals with the Albuquerque Public Schools wrote in a letter to parents.
Students who take part in the protest will receive an unexcused absence, Albuquerque school officials said.
Organizers in Philadelphia said they expect hundreds of workers and families to participate.
"Our goal is to highlight the need for Philadelphia to expand policies that stop criminalizing communities of color," said Erika Almiron, executive director of Juntos, a nonprofit group that works with the Latino immigrant community. "What would happen if massive raids did happen? What would the city look like?"
Almiron said that while community groups have not seen an uptick in immigration raids in the city, residents are concerned about the possibility.
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney is among leaders in several cities nationwide who have vowed to maintain their "sanctuary city" status and decline to help federal law enforcement with deportation efforts.
Many people who make the choice to skip work Thursday will not be paid in their absence, but social media posts encouraging participation stressed that the cause is worth the sacrifice.

Uh oh.

Is this for all immigrants or just illegal ones? Why would legal ones give a flying fock about the ones who didn't follow the same rules they did?

• Like 1

Cool... Actually safe to go to the 7-11 today then...

Do you have a key?

Cool... Actually safe to go to the 7-11 today then...

I can only speak for Philly but the Nessicans here keep their heads down and stay beneath the radar. I have never even seen a bad hombre in this town.

I can only speak for Philly but the Nessicans here keep their heads down and stay beneath the radar. I have never even seen a bad hombre in this town.

There are a couple a couple of miles from where I live that is used as day labor location... There are signs that say "No Loitering", though it really should be written in Spanish...

I always liked the easy going nature of the Mexicans. Ya'll wanna go out and protest? Meh, let's stay home and protest.

• Like 1

Before I moved away, the illegals pulled this stunt in Los Angeles. The result? There was almost no traffic that day. All they did was reinforce how their contribution to society isn't really significant, at least not in the short run. This might actually have an impact if they did it for a month but a day does the exact opposite of what they're trying to achieve.

Does anybody know what they are protesting ?

being here illegally is a crime

Compared to the other filth in Philly they are model citizens.

compared to other filthians, is this really shocking?

Compared to the other filth in Philly they are model citizens.

I have no idea what jerkwater you live in but I am fairly sure your clan has never made it north of the Mason Dixon line.

Look at what this wacky restaurant from my city did :o

Latitude 43 is standing in solidarity with the 'A Day Without Immigrants' strike. Anyone who does not come to work today, February 16th, will get a full day’s pay.

The Lat 43 & Minglewoodtavern Atlat family and the community where we reside is diverse and multicultural. We are a community founded and made better by immigrants, and it is our responsibly to support (politically, emotionally and financially) our immigrant team members as they strike today.
#ADayWithoutImmigrants

DA FUQ?

why on earth would you show up?

do you have to be illegal to receive this benefit?

I have no idea what jerkwater you live in but I am fairly sure your clan has never made it north of the Mason Dixon line.

:lol:

Seems like those places that are closed today would be perfect spots for ICE to start illegal immigrant raids.

I can not tell you how difficult my day has been without immigrants. Wait....yes I can. Nothing focking changed. If nothing changes because you are gone then you are not needed fockwads.

I can not tell you how difficult my day has been without immigrants. Wait....yes I can. Nothing focking changed. If nothing changes because you are gone then you are not needed fockwads.

Nothing has changed but I am worried about drinking tonight. Could be missing a lot of bar backs.

Nothing has changed but I am worried about drinking tonight. Could be missing a lot of wet backs.

fixored

They must be very stealth rapers

skip school, skip work.... sometimes to protest, sometimes to stay home... Its a strategy that will really get you places

I just hope these sanctuary cities become the magnet that attracts them all. Let the libtarded deal with them. Hell, the schools might actually get better.

Isn't this an ICE agents dream? Like fish in a barrel..... Round'em up and get the job done in one day.

So far, there has been no difference in my day to day activities. I went to Total Wine and Home Depot over lunch...they are still functioning like normal.

It seems like the only people participating are restaurants and cleaning services. Big whoop. :dunno:

We just purposely went to a mexican "On The Border" restaurant for lunch....

Protest all day..we'll give our money to a different mexican restaurant

We just purposely went to a mexican "On The Border" restaurant for lunch....

Protest all day..we'll give our money to a different mexican restaurant

Is there a non-mexican, "on the border" restaurant?

Is there a non-mexican, "on the border" restaurant?

It was all white folks working....its that non authentic garbage mexi food.

Still.

It was all white folks working....its that non authentic garbage mexi food.

Still.

I was asking if there is a restaurant called "On the Border" that doesn't serve messican

everyone knows on the border is messican!~

I was asking if there is a restaurant called "On the Border" that doesn't serve messican

everyone knows on the border is messican!~

Oh oh..my bad. Ha.

I call bullshiit... Most of these people are fortunate to find jobs at all, not going to risk getting canned.. Plus - many of them work by the hour or on straight cash, they get no PTO in those circles and they have mouths to feed.